Mystic Knights and Energy Immunity (Again)

Diabolists, Techno-Wizards & Psionicists, Oh my! All things that are Magics and Psionics in all Palladium Games.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Balabanto
Champion

Mystic Knights and Energy Immunity (Again)

Unread post by Balabanto »

Does the energy immunity of the mystic knight extend to everything they wear and carry? My players are fighting me hard for this, and I keep telling them no.

Their argument is that a "Money drain is not a real threat, because all it does is destroy my armor."

My argument is "If it extended to their armor, it would say so in the O.C.C. description."
Talavar
Hero

Re: Mystic Knights and Energy Immunity (Again)

Unread post by Talavar »

As has been hashed out many times, some people refuse to apply it to their belongings, and others argue that it's a useless ability if it does not.

Personally, I argue that it applies to their armour and carried gear, just like a burster. The writer of Madhaven & the Mystic Knights of the White Rose also applies the ability in such a way.

However, someone else will post the opposite viewpoint soon enough, because they love useless abilities.
- If I never hear real world military buffs complaining about Rifts weapons technology again it'll be too soon
- Rifts isn't Warhammer 40K. Try to remember that.
- In vino veritas, and I am hammered!
Balabanto
Champion

Unread post by Balabanto »

The issue here is that specific outweighs general. There's nothing specific except on the Warbird, where it says that the knight's energy immunity enables them to ride THESE birds. Since that occurs nowhere else, I'm inclined to believe it doesn't affect their armor.
Talavar
Hero

Unread post by Talavar »

ManDrake13 wrote:
Talavar wrote:The writer of Madhaven & the Mystic Knights of the White Rose also applies the ability in such a way.

Hey can I get a page number and paragraph on that. I just reread the Madhaven section on the White Rose and I missed it. It seems logical to me that it would apply like the Burster too, but I'm not seeing anything other than the fact that all versions of their TW armor don't have Impervious to Energy on them. Which seems like it would be the logical choice of powers for them if it didn't extend to their armor.

That's exactly the problem though - it's an opinion only made clear on the boards.

Balabanto wrote:The issue here is that specific outweighs general. There's nothing specific except on the Warbird, where it says that the knight's energy immunity enables them to ride THESE birds. Since that occurs nowhere else, I'm inclined to believe it doesn't affect their armor.

There's no official ruling on this, so if you've already made up your mind, why start a new thread on the topic? Seriously, the last thread on this isn't even off the front page of the Magic forum yet: http://forums.palladium-megaverse.com/viewtopic.php?f=39&t=98002
- If I never hear real world military buffs complaining about Rifts weapons technology again it'll be too soon
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

the easy way, yes it does.

the hard way, no it doesn't

Your GM gets to decide which he wants to use.

However, I assume, theat the protection is a field so does protect their stuff and people hiding behind the MC, but not much more.

No hiding behind the MC vs energy area effect weapons. (ie: plasma warheads)

[opinion]
Vs megaton range Nukes (see CS navy), any Imp.Vs E. is useless.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Library Ogre
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: My comments do not necessarily represent the views of Palladium Books.

Unread post by Library Ogre »

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:the easy way, yes it does.

However, I assume, theat the protection is a field so does protect their stuff and people hiding behind the MC, but not much more.

[opinion]

"I use Sir Tolivar to parry the laser!"
-overproduced by Martin Hannett

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
Happiness is a long block list.
If you don't want to be vilified, don't act like a villain.
The Megaverse runs on vibes.
All Palladium Articles
Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
csbioborg
Champion
Comment: Lazlo and its supporters talk of Dbee rights. Can you even comprehend the plight of the untold billions of humans evicted from thier homes since their coming? What of their rights?

Unread post by csbioborg »

Mark Hall wrote:

[opinion]

I could so see a splugorth having mk in his tentacles to use as shields
I remember days like this when my father took me to the forest and we ate wild blueberries. More than 20 years ago. I was just a boy of four or five. The leaves were so dark and green then. The grass smelled sweet with the spring wind...For us, there is no spring. Just the wind that smells fresh before the storm.
Talavar
Hero

Unread post by Talavar »

Parrying with Sir Tolivar - it's a good thing.

I second the opinion that Impervious to Energy is no good vs. nukes or anti-matter - any detonation of that sort has a significant concussive element.
Temporalmage
Hero

Unread post by Temporalmage »

As of this time there is nothing in any of the books that state that the Mystic Knights impervious to energy abilities extend to anything other that thier bodies. White Rose knights or other.

If memory serves, White Rose knights are not the only ones that can utilize War Birds for mounts. So that argument is moot.

White Rose knights have a TW weapon that gives them a shield that protects them from energy. (A useless device if thier power protects their belongings.)

All other OCC/RCC/PCC types with a similar power: IE- Burster, Zapper, etc; states that thier power extends to their equipment. A Mystic Knights states no such thing.

Alot of folks keep saying its a useless power if it does not extend to their armor. I guess they don't adventure inside towns/ cities that don't allow armor. As most small arms that are easily hidden and snuck into these towns would be energy pistols, this power seems very usfull indeed to me. While everyone else is walking around vulnerable the Mystic Knight can still walk around with his normal cocky attitude.

Mystic Knights are immune to neural maces. Not too shabby if thier going against the CS dogpacks alot.

But this is only what the books state, without adding anything to it that simply does not exist.
http://world8.monstersgame.co.uk/?ac=vid&vid=190003553
And TemporalMage went to the last page, Refusing to follow the trend." Ode to the Teleport Thread by The Fifth Business
And remember, "Book, Page number, and Quote", not, "Proclaim, Posture, and Belittle all those who think otherwise". Dead Boy
Temporalmage
Hero

Unread post by Temporalmage »

Warborn wrote:Either way, this matter should be resolved by the next issue of the Rifter. One of the articles is entitled Everything you ever wanted to know about Mystic Knights.

Thats nice. But most of the stuff in the Rifters are optional, and not cannon material. So unless the article states it's "Errata", or "Official Material", it won't make one differance.

Play the game as you see fit. But on the boards I always quote by the books. The OFFICIAL books that is! :lol:
http://world8.monstersgame.co.uk/?ac=vid&vid=190003553
And TemporalMage went to the last page, Refusing to follow the trend." Ode to the Teleport Thread by The Fifth Business
And remember, "Book, Page number, and Quote", not, "Proclaim, Posture, and Belittle all those who think otherwise". Dead Boy
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Mark Hall wrote:

[opinion]

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I realy should of thought of that when I typed that out. *shakes head and grones*

That is sort of like ork of the party using the halfling as a throw attack, which only gets better when the halfling starts wearing a spiked armadillo armor.

The reason I stated that the dodge behind is ineffective vs plasma warheads is because plasma is a fluid and would flow around Sir Tolivar to get the guy behind him.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

Technically, no it does not.

Although I'd probablly allow it to work if I had a MK in my group.
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Nekira Sudacne wrote:Technically, no it does not.

Although I'd probablly allow it to work if I had a MK in my group.

Of the four states of matter, three of them are fluids. Gas, liquid, and Plasma are fluids.
P-Beams would splatter not flow around, like area effect warheads.

Return to “Guild of Magic & Psionics”