Favorite Race for Cosmoknights?

Dimension Books & nothing but..

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

LostOne
Champion

Favorite Race for Cosmoknights?

Unread post by LostOne »

Just curious what peoples favorite race is to make a Cosmoknight?
"But you can't make an omelet without ruthlessly crushing dozens of eggs beneath your steel boot and then publicly disemboweling the chickens that laid them as a warning to others." -Order of the Stick #760
Chad
Dungeon Crawler

Re: Favorite Race for Cosmoknights?

Unread post by Chad »

I like Human, but hey- I'm a bit bias. :)

This one dude comes to mind from a few years back; He wanted to play a CK. GM said 'ok, tell me about your past.' Turns out, he was a True Atlantean Sea Inquisitor Cyber Knight and wanted to keep all the bonuses.
Yeah :-?
csbioborg
Champion
Comment: Lazlo and its supporters talk of Dbee rights. Can you even comprehend the plight of the untold billions of humans evicted from thier homes since their coming? What of their rights?

Unread post by csbioborg »

since they are normjally the enemey. Kreegor rahuman or something else obviosuly alien
I remember days like this when my father took me to the forest and we ate wild blueberries. More than 20 years ago. I was just a boy of four or five. The leaves were so dark and green then. The grass smelled sweet with the spring wind...For us, there is no spring. Just the wind that smells fresh before the storm.
LostOne
Champion

Unread post by LostOne »

I had a player who wanted to make a zebuloid CK...that would just be disgustingly powerful with all those attacks.
"But you can't make an omelet without ruthlessly crushing dozens of eggs beneath your steel boot and then publicly disemboweling the chickens that laid them as a warning to others." -Order of the Stick #760
Aramanthus
Monk

Unread post by Aramanthus »

I'll be using humans as my primary CKs. But who knows I've got a few ideas as to some new and interesting races to try out there. I've got to experiment on some new ones.
"Your Grace," she said, "I have only one question. Do you wish this man crippled or dead?"

"My Lady," the protector of Grayson told his Champion, "I do not wish him to leave this chamber alive."

"As you will it, your Grace."

HH....FIE
Aramanthus
Monk

Oh believe me this combination would be a very strange combo! :D
"Your Grace," she said, "I have only one question. Do you wish this man crippled or dead?"

"My Lady," the protector of Grayson told his Champion, "I do not wish him to leave this chamber alive."

HH....FIE
Greyaxe
Champion
Comment: Role playing is not my hobby, it is my lifestyle.

Unread post by Greyaxe »

WOLVEN
Sureshot wrote:Listen you young whippersnappers in my day we had to walk for 15 no 30 miles to the nearest game barefoot both ways. We had real books not PDFS and we carried them on carts we pulled ourselves that we built by hand. We had Thaco and we were happy. If we needed dice we carved ours out of wood. Petrified wood just because we could.
LostOne
Champion

Unread post by LostOne »

I've always wanted to make a D'norr Devilman CK for style. ;)
cyber-yukongil v2.5
Sosyourfacist
Comment: This space for rent. Inquire within!

Unread post by cyber-yukongil v2.5 »

techno fairy! Especially if you play him as a foul-mouthed little bastard with a heart of gold.
"A society that gets rid of all its troublemakers goes downhill." ~ Heinlein

Petty tyrants thrive when they have authority backed by vague regulations. ~some unnamed joker
LostOne
Champion

Unread post by LostOne »

cyber-yukongil v2.5 wrote:techno fairy!

Not familiar with this race.
Aramanthus
Monk

People could always try out some of the RCCs over on the RCC thread here at the forums. Just a thought.

HH....FIE
Aramanthus
Monk

I want someone to try out the Loxidontians and tell me how they turned out. I'd be very curious as to their results. Imagine the first Elephant man cosmo knight! That is what they'll have with a Loxidontian.

HH....FIE
LostOne
Champion

Unread post by LostOne »

Could a Machine Person become a cosmoknight?
Chad
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Chad »

I don't think a Machine Person can become a Cosmo-Knight, they aren't even alive.

(BTW Lost One, thanks for the Splicer info. I was thinking about getting the book, but heard mixed reviews.)
LostOne
Champion

Unread post by LostOne »

Chad wrote:I don't think a Machine Person can become a Cosmo-Knight, they aren't even alive.

That's why I asked. "Alive" can be defined different ways.

Chad wrote:(BTW Lost One, thanks for the Splicer info. I was thinking about getting the book, but heard mixed reviews.)

No problem. I love the setting. I honestly think it didn't get a fair shake on the RPG market due to a few reasons: The cover art is really campy and likely caused a lot of people to overlook it (I did until I saw a post somewhere on these forums about Dreadguards and Host Armor). And IIRC it came out around the same time that D&D 3E did, so most of the gamer population was in their "ZOMG NEW D&D!" mode.
batlchip
Hero
Comment: Even the great thinkers and writers in history messed up sometimes.

Unread post by batlchip »

Chad wrote:I don't think a Machine Person can become a Cosmo-Knight, they aren't even alive.

The book doesn't really say if they can or not.It just says that almost every race has been called by the cosmic forge.The only ones who can not be CKs are supernatural creatures like dragons,demons and prometheans.
Who is evil?
Who is joy
Who is pain
Who is death
Who is good
Who is blind
Who is foolish
Who is smart
Me and you that's who
For we are mankind.
Chad
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Chad »

A Machine Person doesn't have any PPE man. :P They aren't alive. ARCHIE 3 would have more of a chance of becoming a Cosmo-Knight.
Machine People are very advanced artificial intellengent robots. But that's all they are- robots. ;)

:lol: I don't know- maybe the Cosmic Forge could give them life or something.
This is crazy talk.
Aramanthus
Monk

But until someone from on high responds it would be allowable for people to try one out in their own game. And by on high, I mean someone who actually works at PB and they errata it.

HH....FIE
LostOne
Champion

Unread post by LostOne »

Chad wrote:A Machine Person doesn't have any PPE man. :P They aren't alive.

That depends on your definition of alive. They move, act intelligently and react to threat and even reproduce. They are an entire race that can reproduce. Sounds alive to me.

Plus, the Cosmic Forge. You don't think a forge can do something with them? I've seen a few scifi references here and there that refer to robotics factories as forges.
Aramanthus
Monk

Please enlighten us Duck-foot! I'd like to know.

HH....FIE
Chad
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Chad »

Aramanthus wrote:But until someone from on high responds it would be allowable for people to try one out in their own game. And by on high, I mean someone who actually works at PB and they errata it.

I don't see where there is anything to recton.

LostOne wrote:
Chad wrote:A Machine Person doesn't have any PPE man. :P They aren't alive.

That depends on your definition of alive. They move, act intelligently and react to threat and even reproduce. They are an entire race that can reproduce. Sounds alive to me.

Plus, the Cosmic Forge. You don't think a forge can do something with them? I've seen a few scifi references here and there that refer to robotics factories as forges.

The Forge might be able to give them life, I stated as much up top. And if it works in one's game, and everbody is having fun- I say, hey- go with it.
But if your asking for my opinion? I would have to say no.
They can act, react, make decisions and more copies of themselves just like other nanites. The Machinist were obviously very advanced at what they did. But what they made was a machine. They might as went so far as to use the nanites to make a double helix like our cells. But when it got down to it- their creations had to be programed. The Machine People have a Neural Intelligence. As much as this program might simulate human response and emotions- it is not. A Machine Person is not a living being. It has no soul. That is why it has no Magic, Psionics, or PPE.

Off the subject- I ordered Splicers :)
LostOne
Champion

Unread post by LostOne »

Chad wrote:Off the subject- I ordered Splicers :)

Welcome. :ok:
Aramanthus
Monk

Very cool! That does make sense. And there are examples of Vampires breaking the rules in the vampire kingdom book.

HH....FIE
Aramanthus
Monk

I'd still love to see a Sperm whale cosmo knight! They are predators and warriors of their realm. I think they'd make awesome CKs.

HH....FIE
LostOne
Champion

Unread post by LostOne »

razorjack wrote:Tarlok cyberknights, Shadow people cosmoknights, Ritheen Cosmo knights!

I'm not remembering the shadow people or Ritheen. What books are those in?
Aramanthus
Monk

That is an interesting point about the CK not being alive. I remember it the book.

Actually Duck-Foot I was thinking of a Bi-form Sperm whale. I don't agree with UNderseas about them being priest. As I said Sperm whales are the largest predator in the seas presently.

HH....FIE
Aramanthus
Monk

There can always be free version of those races available in the Phase World setting. It's a vast universe to draw upon for ideas.

HH....FIE
AzathothXy
Adventurer

Unread post by AzathothXy »

Jotan or Minotaur.
The Nuclear Chaos
That thing is not dead which has the capacity to continue to exist eternally,
And if the abnormal ones come,then death may cease to be
Chad
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Chad »

Thrain13 wrote:
Chad wrote:The Forge might be able to give them life, I stated as much up top. And if it works in one's game, and everbody is having fun- I say, hey- go with it.
But if your asking for my opinion? I would have to say no.
They can act, react, make decisions and more copies of themselves just like other nanites. The Machinist were obviously very advanced at what they did. But what they made was a machine. They might as went so far as to use the nanites to make a double helix like our cells. But when it got down to it- their creations had to be programed. The Machine People have a Neural Intelligence. As much as this program might simulate human response and emotions- it is not. A Machine Person is not a living being. It has no soul. That is why it has no Magic, Psionics, or PPE.

Not to be a ass, but unless I'm wrong, I think that's checkmate :demon:

What the hell??? :lol: Alright.
Hold on there, my assfriend. You can't Nd3 from a g8 starting position. But castling long and I'll entertain the notion.
Here we go-
Thrain13 wrote:Yes they can and here's why:
1. DNA is programed to do very specific functions and while they may start off as similar they end up so specialized that one cannot replace the other.

DNA is programed to do two things- jack and s***, DNA does the programing or more specific- DNA is the program. I think what you meant was: The cells are programed to very specific functions which start out similar and end up specialized. Which is true, but has nothing to do with a Machine Person-
pg. 77 "The robots were built out of revolutionary living metal, basically nano-machines (microscopic robots) like living human cells that could repair damage and even assume different forms and functions to match the situation!"
Thus my statement that the nanites were like our cells. I don't know what this has to do with them being alive or becoming Cosmo-Knights.
counter...

Thrain13 wrote:2. The Undead are not "alive" yet some have souls, magic and/or PPE

A) The Undead do not have souls- that is what makes them- Undead.
B) Machine People are not the Undead. They are robots.
C) Just because some of the Undead have PPE and can cast Magic, which they are drawing on from another power, still does not change the fact that Machine People have no PPE and therefore no essence of life.
BTW, the Undead are supernatural and are not eligible to become Cosmo-Knights, pg.99.
counter...

Thrain13 wrote:3. In the Machine People description it says they feel their emotions like any other living being, while Sourcebook 1 says that unliving robots, despite their apparent behavior, are only imitating these emotions.

There is no difference as far as I can tell-
pg. 77 "They are metallic creatures able to feel emotions and who can be as heroic or villainous as any breathing being."
To feel- to believe something: to have an opinion or belief that something is the case. The author is telling us they are capable of subjective reasoning and therefore can make choices to be a good or bad guy- just like any Neural Intelligence can.
counter...

Thrain13 wrote:The writers have been pretty good about telling us how each creature thinks and feels and these were created to commit xenocidal revenge yet they chose compassion. Their builders sure as hell wouldn't have programmed their Terminators with compassion.

Ahhh, but they sure as hell did, or more to the point, they programed them with reason (subjective thought- Neural Intelligence, sound familiar? :) ). Reason that was based on the Machinist's own belief structure. How do we know this? Because they are the ones that programmed them. Reading between the lines, that is why the Machinist did not attempt to reprogram their robots. In their bloodlust, it had not occurred to them that they were becoming just as diabolic as the Star Hunters- who had wiped out their homeworld. The Machine People were a logical out look at their own belief structure, and when they said, "No!" all at once, it must have hit the Machinist in the face pretty hard what they were becoming- and what they were trying to do. Thus the reason for them withdrawing into obscurity.
counter...

Thrain13 wrote:Mainly because nowhere in the CK description does it require a being to be "alive".

pg. 99- "The chosen come from all walks of life..."/ "A future where they may die horribly..."/ "Their bodies and souls are seared..."/ And least we not forgive their Code of Honor- To Live
counter...

Thrain13 wrote:It just has to be smart enough to understand what it's being asked to do and have the free will to accept. Futhermore it does not require PPE to become a CK, the Forge bestows all of their massive PPE. And they need no training or previous racial ability to cast magic as the Forge grants these Powers(which are used innately at will).

I brought up Psionics and Magic to draw a similarity in becoming a Cosmo-Knight. Machine People are not capable of Magic or Psionics like living beings because they are not alive. Machine People are not able to become Cosmo-Knights like living beings because they are not alive. Not every living being has Magic or Psionics- true. Then again, not every living being is asked to become a Cosmo-Knight. It is hard to picture a Machine Person with Magic or Psionics, especially sense it states they have none. It is equally hard to picture them as a Cosmo-Knight.
I stated nothing about training or the inate ability to use their powers. As far as PPE? PPE is synonymous with life. It takes a living soul to be a Cosmo-Knight. :angel:
check...

Thrain13 wrote:But despite this whole argument, none of this matters.

How right you are.
pg. 77- "These scientists designed a super-race of robotic beings. They used their latest advances and created artificial brains that had lifelike functions. They even programmed into their creations the ability to have emotions and to act in ways based on humanoid behavior."/ "This army of incredible robots was built,..."/ "The artificial race was given the power to reproduce..."
mate and game, my friend.

Thank ya fer play-n :twisted:
AzathothXy
Adventurer

Or if it were allowed, a Hundred-handed.
The Nuclear Chaos
LostOne
Champion

Unread post by LostOne »

JandoGolo wrote:I have a pal who's currently playing a Dolphin Cosmo-Knight named Albacore. Definitely strange, but it works.

He better hope he doesnt' become a fallen cosmoknight while in a landlocked area...like Wyoming, or the Sahara. ;)
LostOne
Champion

Unread post by LostOne »

It occurs to me that an Auto-G could be sweet. What better to be a detective and infiltrate criminal organizations?
Aramanthus
Monk

The only problem with a Leoploradon is that they don't know actually how intelligent they were. I'm surprised that those who study dinosaurs haven't actually done a study on the brain size of one. I know that the whales have some of the largest brains found in any creature. Especially the sperm whale.

HH....FIE
AzathothXy
Adventurer

LostOne wrote:It occurs to me that an Auto-G could be sweet. What better to be a detective and infiltrate criminal organizations?

Going by the book, the cosmic abilities overwrite the natural ones. So no shapechanging.
The Nuclear Chaos
Aramanthus
Monk

We have had a debate over that issue before. Braden and Carl Glebba are the most canon responses we've had on that front. But nothing from KS on that front.

HH....FIE
LostOne
Champion

Unread post by LostOne »

AzathothXy wrote:Going by the book, the cosmic abilities overwrite the natural ones. So no shapechanging.

Not everyone goes by that, in fact last time I did a quick skim of the OCC I did not actually see anywhere that said they lost their racial abilities, but I'll admit I wasn't actively looking for it. Where specifically does it state that? I'd look but my book is being borrowed.
Aramanthus
Monk

LOL It would be one truly scary CK. Seeing that mouth of razor sharp teeth and the sheer size would be very frightening for his enemies!

HH....FIE
LostOne
Champion

Unread post by LostOne »

duck-foot wrote:true. but, still it would be cool. or i got one a super intelligent allosuarus cosmo-knight

Allosaurus cosmo-knight? How's he supposed to use his cosmic weapon with those gimpy arms?
Aramanthus
Monk

Actually the Allosuarus doesn't have the gimpy little arms of the T-Rex. It is equipped with some seriously nice grasping claws.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Allosaurus
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tyrannosaurus

T Rex had the really tiny gimpy arms. But even then those stumpy arms were way stronger than any normal human.

HH....FIE
Aramanthus
Monk

Wouldn't that be 60 feet of cosmic justice! If he's 600 feet there is some sort of problem. Maybe he is a mutant.

HH....FIE
Aramanthus
Monk

Full sized ones. That is what I thought you were refering too. Sorry for the mistake. But he'd still have a heck of a lot of MDC. And size alone might be able to intimidate many of his foes!

HH....FIE
Aramanthus
Monk

So that Ck is a short and furry. And no legs. :D

HH....FIE
Aramanthus
Monk

As long as they don't end up having really big teeth! And roll around really fast. And shoot spikes out of their backs.

HH....FIE
Aramanthus
Monk

Phase world would have so much trouble if this were the case!

HH....FIE
Aramanthus
Monk

ROFLMAO!!! I take that as an honor Duck-foot! :D Besides which we GMs have to help each other out all of the time. That way we can eventually form our own union. Then you players watch out! :twisted: :D

HH....FIE
batlchip
Hero
Comment: Even the great thinkers and writers in history messed up sometimes.

Unread post by batlchip »

A Meltran or zent cosmo-knight would be a great for taking on those pesky dominators.Hmmm,now that I think about it they would also make great fallen knights too. :)
Who is evil?
Who is joy
Who is pain
Who is death
Who is good
Who is blind
Who is foolish
Who is smart
Me and you that's who
For we are mankind.
Aramanthus
Monk

The Dominator CK? I not sure about that one. The race itself is sort of evil. Of course maybe before their Races fall they could have been. And as for a TGE Legioneer. Maybe and maybe not. I suppose it would have to be determined by the beings own alignment. And if he truly believed in his government.

HH....FIE
J_Danger
D-Bee

Unread post by J_Danger »

Psi-Goblin.... named Niby

I always envisioned them as angry little bastards that screamed short broken sentences.

"NIBY CATCH YOU! YOU NO RUN FROM NIBY!" ::teleport & fly & such::

And a Cosmo-Knight in a loincloth would be pretty funny in phase world.
gaaahhhh
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by gaaahhhh »

Grackletooth Cosmo-Knight.
Princedarkstorm
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: Warriors of the Megaverse Unite !

Unread post by Princedarkstorm »

Kirn from Rifts Manhunter
True Atlantean

Return to “Rifts®: Dimension Books”