War Dog, a book review

1'st edition, Deluxe Revised. Military strategies are the thing to discuss here. Oh yeah and how much damage that land mine will do.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Rockwolf66
Hero

War Dog, a book review

Unread post by Rockwolf66 »

I'm currently reading the paperback version of "War Dog". it's a book about the mercenary trade in the late 1980's and the 1990's.

While I have yet to finish it, it's an enlightening book. One of the names that I am familiar with is Bob McKenzie* an american mercenary who was killed and eaten in Sierra Leone. It's not Soldier of Fortune macho bs but a well written look into Mercenary life.

* yeah i know I misspelled the last name.
"Having met a few brits over here i wonder about them. The Military ones I met through my dad as a kid seem to be the most ruthless men on the planet..." -Steve Hobbs
GreenGhost
Adventurer

Re: War Dog, a book review

Unread post by GreenGhost »

Rockwolf66 wrote:I'm currently reading the paperback version of "War Dog". it's a book about the mercenary trade in the late 1980's and the 1990's.

While I have yet to finish it, it's an enlightening book. One of the names that I am familiar with is Bob McKenzie* an american mercenary who was killed and eaten in Sierra Leone. It's not Soldier of Fortune macho bs but a well written look into Mercenary life.

* yeah i know I misspelled the last name.

Who's the author?
Semper Fi
OOH-RAH!
0331/0321
Rockwolf66
Hero

Al Venter

Apparently he's done some work for Janes in the past.
"Having met a few brits over here i wonder about them. The Military ones I met through my dad as a kid seem to be the most ruthless men on the planet..." -Steve Hobbs
GreenGhost
Adventurer

Unread post by GreenGhost »

Nice. I'll have to check it out.

Thanks.
Semper Fi
OOH-RAH!
0331/0321
Dominique
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Dominique »

Al J Venter has written extensively on mercenary work, primarily covering Africa. He's also frequent contributor to Soldier of Fortune magazine.
"There is no such thing as a dangerous weapon, only dangerous men"
"No one assails me without punishment"
Rockwolf66
Hero

Not to mention writing for Jane's Defence.

All told the book was a great read on the subject of the modern Mercenary and what they did in Western Africa durring the 1990's.

Personally if one is a government and one wants to simply stop a terrorist uprising and you don't have enough trained troops then Mercenaries do seem like an effective temporary option.

Heck, Just look at how much US tax dollars the UN spent in Sierra Leone and didn't do anything more constructive then make at least one backdoor deal with the RUF.
Rockwolf66
Hero

In looking up Neil Ellis I have come across the following Link. I must warn people that the video clip that the site links to does have graphic depictions of a bloody civil war.

Video

It's simply Amazeing what just one Hind in the right hands will do.
slade the sniper
Hero

Unread post by slade the sniper »

Rockwolf66 wrote:It's simply Amazeing what just one Hind in the right hands will do.

Ah, MDC and high SDC weapons in action always warm my heart.

All the RIFTS folks need to see it :lol:

-STS
My skin is not a sin - Carlos Wallace
A man's rights rest in three boxes. The ballot box, jury box and the cartridge box - Frederick Douglass
I am a firm believer that men with guns can solve any problem - Inscriptus
Any system in which the most populated areas have the most political power, creates an incentive for areas that want power to increase their population - Killer Cyborg
Rockwolf66
Hero

few things in life compare to seeing the before and after photos of a Technical hit by eight 57mm Rockets.

One moment there's an armed truck parked in the center of town with smoke trails heading for it.

Next moment there is a big action movie style fireball.

Return to “Recon® & Recon® Modern Combat”