Rifts... Oklahoma?

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Library Ogre
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: My comments do not necessarily represent the views of Palladium Books.

Unread post by Library Ogre »

That I know of, little has been written about it... though, to be honest, what are you going to have in Oklahoma (or Kansas or Nebraska, for that matter)? The few population centers were likely depopulated by the Cataclysm, and then you would have the repopulation by the Indians.

So, if you're writing up Rifts: Oklahoma, I'd take a look at the native American sites which might be in the state.

Unless you want the Heavener Runestone to be a portal to Scandinavia...
-overproduced by Martin Hannett

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
Happiness is a long block list.
If you don't want to be vilified, don't act like a villain.
The Megaverse runs on vibes.
All Palladium Articles
Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
Dustin Fireblade
Knight

Unread post by Dustin Fireblade »

I seem to recall there are a few things in Lone Star, New West and Spirit West, but I'd have to look through them to find it.

I do know in Lone Star it mentions that a well known gang called Los Amigos is based in Oklahoma, though they have a hideout in Dallas. Oklahoma in general is a area hit hard by Pecos Raiders too.

Lone Star mentions a Commanche tribe.

New West says its a mosty unpopulated wilderness.
CyCo
Hero

Unread post by CyCo »

As long as you don't turn it onto a musical....

8p
Eureka!
I Want Rifts : Australia II & III...!!
Library Ogre

Josh Hilden wrote:
Mark Hall wrote:Unless you want the Heavener Runestone to be a portal to Scandinavia...

I know you dislike CB 2, but I actually used it as a route from Midgard to Asgard.

I ran some adventures that used it.

I only dislike CB2 because its research is horrid, it's insulting to a wide variety of religions, and its presentation of the various deities has me contemplating violence every time I read it.

I like the idea of the Heavener runestone being a link to Asgard. That's cool.

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
All Palladium Articles
Josh Sinsapaugh
Comment: Carrying friends out of crowds and standing in the doorway looking like the Jack of Hearts since November 2008.

Unread post by Josh Sinsapaugh »

May want to check Rifts: Aftermath.

I don't have it in front of me, but I do believe that there is a blurb on Oklahoma.

~ Josh
Josh Sinsapaugh
Comment: Carrying friends out of crowds and standing in the doorway looking like the Jack of Hearts since November 2008.

Josh Hilden wrote:
Turtle wrote:Forgive my ignorance, but CB2? talking about pantheons of the megaverse?

yes

and you forgiven.

:P

And you're forgiven for the poor grammar.

:P

~ Josh
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Zer0 Kay »

Yeah it is still just as flat and treeless as before.
:thwak: you some might think you're a :clown: but you're cool in book :ok: :thwak:--Mecha-Viper
BEST IDEA EVER!!! -- The Galactus Kid
Holy crapy, you're Zer0 Kay?! --TriaxTech
Zer0 Kay is my hero. --Atramentus
The Zer0 of Kay, who started this fray,
Kept us laughing until the end. -The Fifth Business (In loving Memory of the teleport thread)
Library Ogre

Turtle wrote:Ok guys, grabbed the bopoks you all mentioned, got the info on oklahoma listed there ,and now I've run into a problem.

Was there any ever "specific" value by which the waters rose? Or is it just a "place by place" thing?

No, there was not. I've generally assumed around 30' raise along the Gulf Coast, which has very shallow waters.

All Palladium Articles
Hystrix
Champion

Unread post by Hystrix »

Mark Hall wrote:I only dislike CB2 because its research is horrid, it's insulting to a wide variety of religions...

Like who? All those people who still worhip the Norse gods? Is there some allusion to Buddism, or Hinduism? Is it really that offinsive?
Hystrix, the Post Killer, Destroyer of Threads
Daniel Stoker
Knight
Comment: Non Impediti Ratione Cogitationis

Unread post by Daniel Stoker »

There are a number of people who do worship/venerate Norse gods still and a few on this board too I think. And yea the Hindu stuff was pretty tacky, imagine if I gave you the stats for Jesus with his special 'Water to Wine' power usable 3 times a day. ;)

Daniel Stoker
Judaism - More Old School than either Christianity or Islam.
Josh Sinsapaugh

robtheman74 wrote:
Hystrix wrote:
Mark Hall wrote:I only dislike CB2 because its research is horrid, it's insulting to a wide variety of religions...

Like who? All those people who still worhip the Norse gods? Is there some allusion to Buddism, or Hinduism? Is it really that offinsive?

There's no reason to not be offensive to religions. They've caused the death and suffering of untold millions for millenia. I encourage anyone with an open mind about religion to check out Christphers Hitchen's god is not Great: how religion poisons everything, and Richard Dawkin's the god delusion. Very good reads.

Actually, religion has never killed anyone (except perhaps ritual sacrifice).

There is ALWAYS an ulterior motive (land, wealth, etc), with religion simply being the excuse to stir the masses.

Now back to your regularly scheduled topic.

~Josh
Library Ogre

Hystrix wrote:

I have a Thor's hammer tattooed on my upper right arm, and one to two planned ravens already finished on my left shoulder. Yes, I do know people who worship the Norse Gods, myself included; I would say proportionally, there are more gamers amongst heathens than there are amongst Christians.

As for "some allusion to Hinduism", how about some of the major deities of the pantheon? I find the suggestion that Freyja was overpowered and brain-raped by Hera somewhat offensive. Oh, and Rifts: England, where the Dagda is insane.

All Palladium Articles
Bood Samel
Adventurer
Comment: The only place worth going is too far.

Unread post by Bood Samel »

Reyn til Runa!
Library Ogre

Bood Samel wrote:Reyn til Runa!

Another vote, I take it, to have CB2 somewhat rewritten?

All Palladium Articles
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Unread post by Killer Cyborg »

Daniel Stoker wrote:There are a number of people who do worship/venerate Norse gods still and a few on this board too I think. And yea the Hindu stuff was pretty tacky, imagine if I gave you the stats for Jesus with his special 'Water to Wine' power usable 3 times a day. ;)

Daniel Stoker

Personally, I'd find it kind of interesting to see Jesus statted out.
Annual Best Poster of the Year Awards (2012)

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!
Library Ogre

Killer Cyborg wrote:
Daniel Stoker wrote:There are a number of people who do worship/venerate Norse gods still and a few on this board too I think. And yea the Hindu stuff was pretty tacky, imagine if I gave you the stats for Jesus with his special 'Water to Wine' power usable 3 times a day. ;)

Daniel Stoker

Personally, I'd find it kind of interesting to see Jesus statted out.

Does he get power armor, and a rune sword containing the soul of Elisha? Has Judas been reconstructed as a cyborg? Has Mary Magdalene been re-imagined as a 20th level Saloon Girl?

All Palladium Articles
Wōdwulf Seaxaning
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Wōdwulf Seaxaning »

Daniel Stoker

A friend of mine has been a Odinist/Asatruar for 7 years ,plus I have books on it & & general interest in it.I find most RPG refrences to Norse/Germanic folk faith/mythology as insulting .
Sgt. Leo MacKenzie CSA Commando
Better Dead than Red!
F**k AntiFa! F**k Nazis! F**k Communists!
Stormseed
Explorer

Unread post by Stormseed »

Mark Hall wrote:No, there was not. I've generally assumed around 30' raise along the Gulf Coast, which has very shallow waters.

A rise of that level would pretty much obliterate Houston, IIRC.

Anyway, I'm seeing another Oklahoma Land Rush, possibly followed by a Rush to Get the Hell back Out of Oklahoma. :demon: :flees:
Library Ogre

Stormseed wrote:
Mark Hall wrote:No, there was not. I've generally assumed around 30' raise along the Gulf Coast, which has very shallow waters.

A rise of that level would pretty much obliterate Houston, IIRC.

Anyway, I'm seeing another Oklahoma Land Rush, possibly followed by a Rush to Get the Hell back Out of Oklahoma. :demon: :flees:

Not really. Houston is, in good part, above 30'... though not much.

All Palladium Articles

Return to “Rifts®”