RiftsMUD is back

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Mack
Supreme Being
Comment: This space for rent.

Unread post by Mack »

Topic "stickied" for the moment.

NOTE - RiftsMUD is not owned/operated by Palladium Books.
Some gave all.
Love your neighbor.
Know the facts. Know your opinion. Know the difference.
Noon
Champion

Unread post by Noon »

Why did she close it?

Isn't it going to drive him nuts again to run it, like last time?

Also, is there a forgot your password system? I think I had some characters on the game and if I recall, they don't like multiple characters tied to one e-mail account. Or I may be recalling that incorrectly/ie, making it up without realising it! ;)
Kremlin KOA
D-Bee

Unread post by Kremlin KOA »

dammit spent dsome time testing out the character generation system and got booted for being a BS chargenner

ah well
Noon
Champion

Unread post by Noon »

Ahh - I'd remembered that you try and start as a mindmelter, your forced to start in chi town burbs, which means walk two rooms north and spend a minute or two watching a slightly patronising message about your death.

So, psi stalkers are probably more accepted. Ah, yes, forced to start in the burbs. Two north and...dead.

I think I should make a human, but it still makes you think the problems your likely to face are about meta game choices, like choosing your race is.
My WIP browser game : Come see how it's evolving!
Philosopher Gamer: Thought provoking blog!
Driftwurld: My web comic!
Relkor: "I believe the GM ruled that they did vomit..."
Noon
Champion

Unread post by Noon »

Odd, I'm pretty sure years ago my character could speak without having chosen skills yet. Now you have to fill in background, description, goals before a wizard will grant skills like the ability to speak.

As it is, I walk around mute, drinking from fountains, being killed by pigeons (just once), killing bees, doing this and that. Really I have no idea what the talking RP is like, until I fill out all this background stuff. Without a taste test, there's no temptation to buy into writing a whole background. It's kind of like 'Ha, no taste test for you! There, doesn't that make you hungry for more!?'. Well no, not really.
Noon
Champion

Unread post by Noon »

Msheddan, it's not a matter of coddling, it's a matter of what challenges I like to face. I don't do cryptic crosswords for example - too hard. And here - choose a class on the hope it can end up in a spot where play beyond two rooms is possible. Not really my cup of tea either, too hard as in too much of a blind gamble. Was there a mark next to the races that showed starting area? Anyway, pure gamble like this isn't really a game I like to continue at - too hard - continued gambling just seems to lose for me.

It's a bit unfair saying I shouldn't go toward the CS - you don't know thier in a room ahead until your there with them, I'm not sure there was any other direction to go, given their extensive use of psi stalkers you'd think they'd tolerate them and finally it was a psi stalker, not a mind melter or burster - I'm surprised psi stalkers are classed the same as them.

Hi Cabe,

I don't mind walking around mute - I'm not sure anyone else was on and it was fun poking around a bit. It was just odd that the only way to try out the RP was to buy in totally. But it seems the wizard missadvised me - I looked at those forums and it seems some other player had a prob with a T-man he made, in a similar way. But if you get the skills automated (as I saw plans to on the forum), it should be good. Thanks for your responce. :)
Noon
Champion

Unread post by Noon »

Cabe wrote:I guess I will turn the table some and ask you, what do you feel would have given you adequate warning or increased your survival? How would you like to see it improve?

Just a rating next to each race - 'mind melter, Dif: hard' or something like that. Each of the starting areas is already described with a difficulty, which is good - but you get there after choosing your race (and with a mind melter, it only allows a hard start - so the difficulty rating would be hard).

I'd imagine that'd just be a text file change - couldn't be too hard to implement?
Giant2005
Knight

Unread post by Giant2005 »

Ugh seriously I gave this MUD my best attempt (actually my 3 best attempts) but it seems to be a no-go.
My first attempt I made a High Elf/Nothing - I must have timed out while reading the help directory or something because I got disconnected and when logging in was no longer able to choose any skills or an OCC, with no wizards around he was forced to be benched.
So unsatisfied, I tried again. This time I made a quick-flex alien/Nothing, this time I didn't get timed out but for some reason the game mechanics wouldn't allow my Quick-flex to have an OCC, deciding I didn't want to play an unemployed alien whose only thrill in life is to wander down to the Dole office to collect his weekly benefit, I decided I would make a third attempt at making a character.
This time it simply told me it wasn't going to let me log in and called me a BS whatever that is (I'm thinking I probably don't want to know what a BS is at this stage).
Giant2005
Knight

Unread post by Giant2005 »

Cabe wrote:In regards to a Quick Flex Alien not gaining an O.C.C. The Rifts World Book 11: Coalition War Campaign has the Quick Flex Alien listed with a built in R.C.C. of rogue. The mud defaults to that for that specific race.

It also has a big heading labelled: "Available OCCs"
Under that heading it pretty much states the quick-flex can be any men of arms, scholar or adventurer and even Juicer and Crazy augmentation was an option (Those last two have been removed since DBoNA as far as I know).
Kremlin KOA
D-Bee

Unread post by Kremlin KOA »

I got the BS thing at one point

then later got told a Delphi juicer was too overpowered and that there is no reason anyone would want to RP one
Noon
Champion

Unread post by Noon »

Apart from calling someone paranoid and a control freak, Apollo gave a good review - he described what he experienced, rather than just his opinion. His review allows the reader to form their own opinion on what's described. For example he describes some buildings as being impossible to enter. Some readers might be fine with that, some others not. He also states he spent ten days - for some readers this might be enough for a review, for others it isn't - either way he's upfront about the fact. Almost all of of his review is like this (just the calls of paranoia mar it).

I think his review allows the reader to form an opinion of their own. I find the responces to his review rather disturbing. It's as if people forming their own opinion should be stopped, if that opinion could be against riftsmud. For example shouting him down for only playing ten days. I think WE can decide for ourselves if ten days is enough to form a proper review, thank you. We don't need you to decide for us.
Nikoli
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Nikoli »

The system appears to be down
"oh no, times almost up, enjoy space little rock!" - Prince Artemis
"Hello Mr. Shiney Pants!" - Major Victory
"So what you fetchin' to do with that there bazookie, young man?"
"Kreeghor hunting, officer, sir..." - Talismn
GhostKnight
Adventurer

Re: RiftsMUD is back

Unread post by GhostKnight »

Still down.
Recovery? Only for the rich and 20 counties.
Anti-Nuclear = Anti-Salmon
PC = Patronizing Cretin
The World Clock
Real Economic Statistics
GhostKnight
Adventurer

Unread post by GhostKnight »

The admin isn't answering emails and the server is down.
Recovery? Only for the rich and 20 counties.
Anti-Nuclear = Anti-Salmon
PC = Patronizing Cretin
The World Clock
Real Economic Statistics
random_username
Dungeon Crawler
Comment: Just an old dude Gamer (GM and Player) who had the honor of gaming with several great groups of folks over the years.

Unread post by random_username »

Is profoundly disappointing that MUD server is non-functional and seems that it has been for quite a while.
If something makes the RPG experience better that's great. If not don't use it.

If not overly informative hopefully it was at least mildly amusing. Munchkin Clown Away! <fwoosh... honk, honk>
NMI
OLD ONE

Unread post by NMI »

removing from sticky, as it seems the mud service is dead.
If/when it revives this thread can be made sticky again.
"Freedom is the recognition that no single person, no single authority or government has a monopoly on the truth, but that every individual life is infinitely precious, that every one of us put on this world has been put there for a reason and has something to offer."
Megaversal Ambassador Coordinator
My GoFund Me - Help Me Walk Again

Return to “Rifts®”