Earth, colony or other

Organics, nanotech, and intrigue...discuss your thoughts on the new Palladium RPG here.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Do you think the world of Splicers is.....

Earth
26%
Colony Planet
62%
A remote island in the South Pacific riddled with mysteries and plot holes
2%
An interactive neural interface simulating reality
No votes
Its all a dream that Pam Ewing is having (showing my age here)
3%
No opinion whatsoever
7%

Total votes: 58

Guy_LeDouche
Megaversal® Ambassador

Earth, colony or other

Unread post by Guy_LeDouche »

Just curious what folks thought
Stormseed
Explorer

Unread post by Stormseed »

If I ever run it, I plan on making it a colony... in the same dimension as Rifts Earth. It would explain why the cavalry hasn't arrived at any rate.
sHaka
Hero
Comment: Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt

Unread post by sHaka »

I have it as Earth, but drop enough red herrings to keep the players guessing.
Northern Gun Weapons Technician, R&D Department
Reading: Savage Worlds / Savage Rifts
Playing: Nothing U_U
Advocating: A free, super-slick .pdf of Palladium's core system with sample characters and scenario
My Dead Reign Character Sheet
Palladium Books RPG Google+ Community
9voltkilowatt
Adventurer

Unread post by 9voltkilowatt »

I just went with Earth, I didn't really see any need to come up with (and explain) some convoluted backstory. :ok:
Ziggurat the Eternal
Hero

Unread post by Ziggurat the Eternal »

duck-foot wrote:
Stormseed wrote:If I ever run it, I plan on making it a colony... in the same dimension as Rifts Earth. It would explain why the cavalry hasn't arrived at any rate.

and the use of MDC technology

And space fightingness. So much easier to use existing tech like ccw, and biotech like necrol, than to make up your own. but making up your own is comendable and awsome.
The Baron of chaos
Champion

Unread post by The Baron of chaos »

I've voted for no opinion but in truth i've my personal ideas. For me Slicer earth is the PAST version of one well known megaversla planet: WORMWOOD. Who is by the way the PAST version of Nightland(after massive fossilization and calcification). I know i'm Fu*#ed up in my mind. :shock:
"The baron is made of raw win. Search your feelings, you know it to be true."
taalismn
Priest

Unread post by taalismn »

I'm going with Colony...'Earth Overrun by Killer Machines' is just too 'Terminator-esque' for my cliche-worn mind, but a world of people(and probably a Machine rewriting its own history) who have utterly forgotten they came from someplace else allows more leeway....
-------------
"Trouble rather the Tiger in his Lair,
Than the Sage among his Books,
For all the Empires and Kingdoms,
The Armies and Works that you hold Dear,
Are to him but the Playthings of the Moment,
To be turned over with the Flick of a Finger,
And the Turning of a Page"

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Guy_LeDouche
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Guy_LeDouche »

Hooray!! Someone else thought Splicers exsists only in Pam Ewing's head!

For me Slicer earth is the PAST version of one well known megaversla planet: WORMWOOD. Who is by the way the PAST version of Nightland(after massive fossilization and calcification). I know i'm Fu*#ed up in my mind.

That's not messed up, that's a great idea. I like that one a lot, for what its worth.
Aramanthus
Monk

Unread post by Aramanthus »

I voted!
"Your Grace," she said, "I have only one question. Do you wish this man crippled or dead?"

"My Lady," the protector of Grayson told his Champion, "I do not wish him to leave this chamber alive."

"As you will it, your Grace."

HH....FIE
bradshaw
Palladium Books® Freelance Artist
Comment: Gin and Tonic

Unread post by bradshaw »

I've always liked the way you think DF.
duck-foot wrote:and you can make your own history, plus populate the world with odd critters.
8)
cornholioprime
Palladin
Comment: At long last....I am FINALLY free of my wonderful addiction to the online Flash game "Bloons."
Well, mostly.....
Location: In the Hivelands with General Jericho Holmes, taking advantage of suddenly stupid Xiticix...

Unread post by cornholioprime »

Even though folks here are telling of what they call it in their games, the planet of Splicers CLEARLY isn't Earth.

Even before NEXUS terraformed the planet -and there's no evidence whatsoever that Terraforming was even tried before NEXUS -the world of Splicers consisted of a single ocean.

Oceans are marked and separated by land masses. One single ocean as opposed to the several that we have here = landmasses in completely different configurations. Which means that this is a different planet altogether...somewhere out there.

Also, there is the fact that Earth was NEVER as magically dead as SplicerWorld is. Not even in the millennia after Atlantis' fall.

In fact, I'm pretty sure that even the H.U Universe is less hostile to Magic and Psionics than this world is (I forget just how much magic energy is in that setting, though).

Just re-read the Librarian's Tale through once more (as well as the Characters from other Palladium Games Conversion Section further on in the book) and you find those little nuggets of info.
The Kevinomicon, Book of Siembieda 3:16.

16 Blessed art Thou above all others, O COALITION STATES, beloved of Kevin;

17 For Thou art allowed to do Evil without Limit, nor do thy Enemies retaliate.

18 Thy Military be run by Fools and Dotards.

19 Yet thy Nation suffers not. Praise be unto Him that protects thee from all harm!!
Kelorin
Adventurer
Location: Aboard the USS Lexington, flagship of the New Navy Atlantic Fleet

Unread post by Kelorin »

I like the idea of Splicers being in the same dimension as Rifts Earth, but Rifts Earth never advanced to the point of expanding outside the solar system. They were on the verge of it and had sent probes to Alpha and Proxima Centauri, but then the cataclysm hit, and that was the end of that.
Apollo Okamura wrote:Kelorin WINZ!! :-)
TechnoGothic wrote:Kelorin WINZ!!
Prince Cherico
Hero
Comment: Remember also that the smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights, cannot claim to be defenders of minorities
Ayn Rand

Unread post by Prince Cherico »

its a colony world if it was on earth people wouldent forget that
they were on earth theres just too much history
Svartalf- if Cherico were a character created in a point game system, he'd have all his scores in geeky skills and his youtube and weird net stuff schticks all paid through a a Terminal Bad Luck (with more nasty GM intervention) disadvantage, and probably an Uncouth (can not have social skills) disad as well...
In an RPG with deadly situations that character would have had to be replaced a dozen times over[
Kelorin
Adventurer
Location: Aboard the USS Lexington, flagship of the New Navy Atlantic Fleet

Unread post by Kelorin »

From the Splicer Development Group thread:

I've got a work in progress idea for a link between Rifts Earth & the Splicers planet. In broad strokes:

- Splicers planet is in fact a colony world.
- It exists in the far future of Rifts Earth (a couple hundred to thousands of years after 109 P.A.)
- The original colonists were actually from the assorted Orbital colonies (see MiO Mutants in Orbit)
- Original orbitals were clearly skilled in genetic engineering (mutant animals from MiO), and were fairly well stocked in a wide variety of Earth based plant & animal genetic samples.
- Due to lack of long term living space requirements for the various colonies, coupled with generational population expansion, the orbital colonies realized that they would run out of usable, habitable space within 2 - 3 generations.
- The colonies & Moon Base at some point start receiving star system telemetry from a previously lost deep space probe, (MiO indicates that pre-cataclysm Earth sent out dozens of probes into deep space in all directions).
- The probe reveals a new Earth like planet in a previously unknown, but relatively close star system. (Still would take hundreds of years to reach using standard sub-light drives known to the orbital colonies)
- After much debate, a joint effort is begun to use a large asteroid & create a generational ship. An advanced AI, based on A.R.C.H.I.E & S.C.A.R.A.B technology (Rifter, can't remember which one) is designed to command the mission during its long journey. This AI also serves as the eventual basis for N.E.X.U.S.
- Most of new colonists are actually frozen embreyos of human, animal, & plant stocks. Only a small number of adult colonists are placed in stasis for the long journey. M.O.N.I.T.O.R. is designed to awaken the new colonists, & help educate the new baby colonists about their origins in safe shipboard environment 20 years before the ship arrives at its destination.
- Due to spaceborne radiation, & localized space phenomena, much of M.O.N.I.T.O.R.'s historical database is damaged. Only the first generation of adult colonists even remember being from Earth, eventually even this knowledge is lost.
- Hundreds of years pass, & Splicers world becomes as it is now.

Far away into the stars, the original orbital colonies themselves have decayed in their orbits, & burned up into Earth's atmosphere. The few humans that survive on the Earth's surface, are the thralls of dozens of Demon lords, & Alien Intelligences, so there is no help that can come from the original homeworld.

NOTE: I'm considering putting together a Rifter article around this idea. Applications of the concept would include playing in MiO campaign either for or against the deep space colony plan, as well as sabotage, subterfuge, engineering & mining challenges etc. This could also allow for a Space 1999 style campaign as the small human / mutant animal crew of the generational ship, as it travels to its far off destination (& the possibility of encountering new alien species - & getting new genetic information from them). And finally, some Technojackers, & Bookworms might learn that the original ark is still in orbit. The possibility of pure Earth strain genetic stocks would make a tempting target. N.E.X.U.S. may also realize that there would be a lot of advanced space technology aboard the Ark as well. Is M.O.N.I.T.O.R. still active? How would it react to the interlopers. As ally or a new enemy? What other secrets does the Ark hold?
Apollo Okamura wrote:Kelorin WINZ!! :-)
TechnoGothic wrote:Kelorin WINZ!!
Jockitch74
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Jockitch74 »

Kelorin wrote:From the Splicer Development Group thread:

I've got a work in progress idea for a link between Rifts Earth & the Splicers planet. In broad strokes:

- Splicers planet is in fact a colony world.
- It exists in the far future of Rifts Earth (a couple hundred to thousands of years after 109 P.A.)
- The original colonists were actually from the assorted Orbital colonies (see MiO Mutants in Orbit)
- Original orbitals were clearly skilled in genetic engineering (mutant animals from MiO), and were fairly well stocked in a wide variety of Earth based plant & animal genetic samples.
- Due to lack of long term living space requirements for the various colonies, coupled with generational population expansion, the orbital colonies realized that they would run out of usable, habitable space within 2 - 3 generations.
- The colonies & Moon Base at some point start receiving star system telemetry from a previously lost deep space probe, (MiO indicates that pre-cataclysm Earth sent out dozens of probes into deep space in all directions).
- The probe reveals a new Earth like planet in a previously unknown, but relatively close star system. (Still would take hundreds of years to reach using standard sub-light drives known to the orbital colonies)
- After much debate, a joint effort is begun to use a large asteroid & create a generational ship. An advanced AI, based on A.R.C.H.I.E & S.C.A.R.A.B technology (Rifter, can't remember which one) is designed to command the mission during its long journey. This AI also serves as the eventual basis for N.E.X.U.S.
- Most of new colonists are actually frozen embreyos of human, animal, & plant stocks. Only a small number of adult colonists are placed in stasis for the long journey. M.O.N.I.T.O.R. is designed to awaken the new colonists, & help educate the new baby colonists about their origins in safe shipboard environment 20 years before the ship arrives at its destination.
- Due to spaceborne radiation, & localized space phenomena, much of M.O.N.I.T.O.R.'s historical database is damaged. Only the first generation of adult colonists even remember being from Earth, eventually even this knowledge is lost.
- Hundreds of years pass, & Splicers world becomes as it is now.

Far away into the stars, the original orbital colonies themselves have decayed in their orbits, & burned up into Earth's atmosphere. The few humans that survive on the Earth's surface, are the thralls of dozens of Demon lords, & Alien Intelligences, so there is no help that can come from the original homeworld.

NOTE: I'm considering putting together a Rifter article around this idea. Applications of the concept would include playing in MiO campaign either for or against the deep space colony plan, as well as sabotage, subterfuge, engineering & mining challenges etc. This could also allow for a Space 1999 style campaign as the small human / mutant animal crew of the generational ship, as it travels to its far off destination (& the possibility of encountering new alien species - & getting new genetic information from them). And finally, some Technojackers, & Bookworms might learn that the original ark is still in orbit. The possibility of pure Earth strain genetic stocks would make a tempting target. N.E.X.U.S. may also realize that there would be a lot of advanced space technology aboard the Ark as well. Is M.O.N.I.T.O.R. still active? How would it react to the interlopers. As ally or a new enemy? What other secrets does the Ark hold?

Really interesting idea.
"Knowledge is the key to the universe"
Jockitch74
Dungeon Crawler

I have it in the 3 galaxies. Theres something about a system that is over run by nanites. Its in the 3 Galaxies book. Can't remember the page number off hand.
Aramanthus
Monk

I remember reading that too. I also don't remember the page number either.
"Your Grace," she said, "I have only one question. Do you wish this man crippled or dead?"

"My Lady," the protector of Grayson told his Champion, "I do not wish him to leave this chamber alive."

HH....FIE
cornholioprime
Palladin
Comment: At long last....I am FINALLY free of my wonderful addiction to the online Flash game "Bloons."
Well, mostly.....
Location: In the Hivelands with General Jericho Holmes, taking advantage of suddenly stupid Xiticix...

Unread post by cornholioprime »

Jockitch74 wrote:I have it in the 3 galaxies. Theres something about a system that is over run by nanites. Its in the 3 Galaxies book. Can't remember the page number off hand.
Yes...but if memory serves that planet is COMPLETELY devoid of all life.

Different planet and solar system altogether.

(Not to mention that IRL most of the 3 Galaxies/Phase World Books were writen by a different author almost 10 years earlier.)
The Kevinomicon, Book of Siembieda 3:16.

16 Blessed art Thou above all others, O COALITION STATES, beloved of Kevin;

17 For Thou art allowed to do Evil without Limit, nor do thy Enemies retaliate.

18 Thy Military be run by Fools and Dotards.

19 Yet thy Nation suffers not. Praise be unto Him that protects thee from all harm!!
Aramanthus
Monk

I'll look it up after I get home from both work and my excercise routine.

HH....FIE
Jockitch74
Dungeon Crawler

cornholioprime wrote:
Jockitch74 wrote:I have it in the 3 galaxies. Theres something about a system that is over run by nanites. Its in the 3 Galaxies book. Can't remember the page number off hand.
Yes...but if memory serves that planet is COMPLETELY devoid of all life.

Different planet and solar system altogether.

(Not to mention that IRL most of the 3 Galaxies/Phase World Books were writen by a different author almost 10 years earlier.)

True, but for me its an excellent way to put Splicers somewhere in my game. Change a few things here and there and walla.
Aramanthus
Monk

Which ever GM and player should remember about all of these games PB publishes. Have fun and use whatever material you want too for your game. Please keep us posted as to how it goes. I know I want hear about it.

HH....FIE
TechnoGothic
Knight

Re: Earth, colony or other

Unread post by TechnoGothic »

I am Late to the Question...

For me, Colony Planet 100%

I set in somewhere in the 3 Galaxies.
This way characters from Phase World may show up on a Quest for Earth or the Forge. Only to discover the Bio-Tech using humans and the machine...
Also allows splicer characters to leave the world some day, some how.

THE SPLICE MUST FLOW
TechnoGothic
END OF LINE

"The best things in life are to crush your enemies, drive them before you, and hear the lamentations of their women."-Conan

Return to “Splicers®”