May have found a bug in RUE: LLW can't read?

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

Origionally, languages were a Technical skill, not a communications skill, so they could take literacy normally. They likely simply forgot the skill reclassification when they redid the Ley Line Walker in RUE. Just give them the ability to take litercay at +10%, you'll be fine :)
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Unread post by Killer Cyborg »

IIRC, Literacy can be taken as a secondary skill.
Annual Best Poster of the Year Awards (2012)

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!
sHaka
Hero
Comment: Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt

Unread post by sHaka »

I believe in the fluff it actaully mentions that plenty of LLWs are infact iliterate, but yeah, take it as a secondary.

Secondary skill aren't limited by the OCC related list, they have a new selection list common to all OCCs that can be found in the Skills section of the RUE.
Northern Gun Weapons Technician, R&D Department
Reading: Savage Worlds / Savage Rifts
Playing: Nothing U_U
Advocating: A free, super-slick .pdf of Palladium's core system with sample characters and scenario
My Dead Reign Character Sheet
Palladium Books RPG Google+ Community
Dustin Fireblade
Knight

Unread post by Dustin Fireblade »

Semisonic9 wrote:Are secondary skills not still limited by what's in the OCC Related list?

~Semi

No there is a seperate listing now. I'd provide the page number but I'm at work and don't have my books. It's in the beginning of the skill section though.
NMI
OLD ONE

Unread post by NMI »

Secondary Skill List - Page 300 of Rifts Ultimate
"Freedom is the recognition that no single person, no single authority or government has a monopoly on the truth, but that every individual life is infinitely precious, that every one of us put on this world has been put there for a reason and has something to offer."
Megaversal Ambassador Coordinator
My GoFund Me - Help Me Walk Again
The Galactus Kid
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: THE SPLICE MUST FLOW!!!

Unread post by The Galactus Kid »

get a rogue scholar to teach you
Ziggurat the Eternal wrote:I'm not sure if its possible, but if it isn't, then possible will just have to get over it.

Ninjabunny wrote:You are playing to have fun and be a part of a story,no one is aiming to "beat" the GM, nor should any GM be looking to beat his players.

Marrowlight wrote: The Shameless Plug would be a good new account name for you. 8-)

ALAshbaugh wrote:Because DINOSAURS.
RockJock
Knight

Unread post by RockJock »

It's the scroll writing, and translating that becomes so difficult.
RockJock, holder of the mighty Rune Rock Hammer!
demos606
Hero

Unread post by demos606 »

Almost all Comm skills are legal secondary skills for all OCCs now.
What a cruel thing is war: to separate and destroy families and friends, and mar the purest joys and happiness God has granted us in this world; to fill our hearts with hatred instead of love for our neighbors, and to devastate the fair face of this beautiful world. - R E Lee
People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. - G Orwell
erc1971
Wanderer

Unread post by erc1971 »

The 2nd printing of RUE has errata - they can now take Radio: Basic, Language, and Literacy only.

All fixed now ;)

Eric
RIFTS..."It's ****ing Brilliant!" Kevin Sembieda May 5th 2006
Attended Palladium Open House, May 6th 2006, May 4th and 5th 2007, April 30th 2009, May 2nd 2009
Palladium Unofficial Employee
Kevin Siembieda to me during the big move: "Eric, you are a god!"
Mech-Viper Prime
Palladin
Comment: Full of Love and C-4, give me a hug.

Unread post by Mech-Viper Prime »

The Galactus Kid wrote:get a rogue scholar to teach you
:lol: ladies and gentlemen , he is here all week :D
Ravenwing wrote:"Killing Dbee's isn't murder, they aren't human, it's pest control!"

Zardoz wrote:You have been raised up from Brutality, to kill the Brutals who multiply, and are legion. To this end, Zardoz your God gave you the gift of the Gun. The Gun is good!
SkyeFyre
Hero

Unread post by SkyeFyre »

Actually it's not THAT bad. They can still take it as a secondary and if I recall correctly under the "create scroll" spell and in a fair amount of the fluff text it states that a lot of mages can't even read or write.
"If your party is doing anything but running like hell trying not to get vaporized, the GM is not running the Mechanoids correctly." -Geronimo 2.0
"Coming Summer 1994... Mechanoid Space!"
75 GM Geek Points
Damian Magecraft
Knight
Comment: Evil GM
Master of Magics
Defender of the Faith

Unread post by Damian Magecraft »

on PG 299 of the RUE it says (in bold type no less)

If an OCC or RCC starts with a skill that normally has a pre-requisite skill(s)' assume that character has the pre-requisite skill as part of their training.
DM is correct by the way. - Ninjabunny
It's a shoddy carpenter who blames his tools. - Killer Cyborg
Every group has one problem player. If you cannot spot the one in your group; look in the mirror.
It is not a good session until at least one player looks you in the eye and says "you sick twisted evil ****"
The Galactus Kid
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: THE SPLICE MUST FLOW!!!

Unread post by The Galactus Kid »

You win, Damian.
Ziggurat the Eternal wrote:I'm not sure if its possible, but if it isn't, then possible will just have to get over it.

Ninjabunny wrote:You are playing to have fun and be a part of a story,no one is aiming to "beat" the GM, nor should any GM be looking to beat his players.

Marrowlight wrote: The Shameless Plug would be a good new account name for you. 8-)

ALAshbaugh wrote:Because DINOSAURS.
Damian Magecraft
Knight
Master of Magics
Defender of the Faith

The Galactus Kid wrote:You win, Damian.
great what do I get?
Every group has one problem player. If you cannot spot the one in your group; look in the mirror.
It is not a good session until at least one player looks you in the eye and says "you sick twisted evil ****"
Damian Magecraft
Knight
Master of Magics
Defender of the Faith

Semisonic9 wrote:
Damian Magecraft wrote:on PG 299 of the RUE it says (in bold type no less)

If an OCC or RCC starts with a skill that normally has a pre-requisite skill(s)' assume that character has the pre-requisite skill as part of their training.

Yeah, I double-checked the LLW starting skills. None of the OCC Skills require literacy. It is not even possible to select an OCC skill that does, since their options are limited to Lore and Piloting skills, none of which require literacy. The type isn't bold under the OCC, of course, but one could still have bothered to double-check before posting something entirely irrelevant.

Thank you for playing! Here are your parting gifts...

~Semi
could you possibly respond to one of my posts with out being rude?
Damian Magecraft
Knight
Master of Magics
Defender of the Faith

sawg138 wrote:
Damian Magecraft wrote:
Semisonic9 wrote:
Damian Magecraft wrote:on PG 299 of the RUE it says (in bold type no less)

Yeah, I double-checked the LLW starting skills. None of the OCC Skills require literacy. It is not even possible to select an OCC skill that does, since their options are limited to Lore and Piloting skills, none of which require literacy. The type isn't bold under the OCC, of course, but one could still have bothered to double-check before posting something entirely irrelevant.

Thank you for playing! Here are your parting gifts...

~Semi
could you possibly respond to one of my posts with out being rude?

Look, Damian's favorite rant in reverse. :D
yeah i noticed that too..i may have to revise my stance on attitudes on the boards....
shiiv-a
Adventurer
Comment: I see people as people first, anything else is secondary

Unread post by shiiv-a »

it is my understanding .. that IF a char is from a certain world book [Phase world for instance .. ] .. ALL their languages do NOT include the Literacy skill.

BUT ... are assumed to be a part of the skill 'languages' ...

think of the main languages .. trade 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 and 6 [its a new one apparently]
now while trade 1 - is of the ancient language and NOT very many of them, not many will ever require to read it.

the other languages - for the natives of that area get the Literacy skill as a freebie. all others are required to take language AND literacy skills.

*shrugs*

:shock:
Creator of the Chi grenade. Used in game by Kevarin [GM] and self as Mai - Civilian Martial artist that got amped via experiment. Ghost weapons and shirts rule.

Nano Missiles - used once and GM banned further use. They weren't THAT bad. and did stop a demon scout ship from returning with valuable info.

Return to “Rifts®”