Running a OH Game: Us House Rules or No?

For discussion of the Palladium Open House, both past (May 2006 & May 2007) and possible future Open Houses. Who's going, games you're running or looking to play, etc.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Poll ended at Thu Apr 19, 2007 12:52 am

YES
55%
NO
36%
Or A Few
9%

Total votes: 11

Kythis
Wanderer

Unread post by Kythis »

I run an extremely house ruled Palladium Game and it would be a lot easier for me to run games with all of my current mods but would it be worth it?
I have modified almost everything and I fear that running games this way mite alienate the players. The system uses a D30 for combat and skills instead of a 20 an percentiles. There is also a stare step encumberance system incorporated where speed:number of feet/15 sec is compared to the amount of weight currently carried and saving throws an attribute checks are based off of attributes. AR has also been removed and replaced with a Damage Soak system.
It may all sound overwhelming but it's actually faster than core PB though character generation still takes the same time.
The reason for all of this is do to the fact that I haven't ran core PB in many years and I'm afraid that I would run it very glitchy as I'm nolonger readily familiar with the core rules.
Now do I have too many mods for players to enjoy the game with me running modified or should I just shut up, suck it up and get back into the swing of running core PB?
Last edited by Kythis on Thu Mar 29, 2007 12:52 am, edited 2 times in total.
Your Fellow PFRPGM "D"

{Let them come, let them come in hoards, army hoards of the hundreds, NO thousands! They shal know my might and bow before the ever capable Felthric. For I have shaven my dogs buttucks an taught him to fart while walking backwards and as such their doom is evident. (The last recorded words of the first Ludicris Mage to enter the Land of the Damned.)}
Jason Richards
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer

Unread post by Jason Richards »

house rules = not a big deal. Just make sure your players know you're using a very heavily-modified system, and you should probably have characters built before you show up.
Support the Breachworld RPG! This D6 RPG is full-color and packed with handcrafted gaming goodness.

Get the whole scoop at http://www.breachworld.com
Kythis
Wanderer

Unread post by Kythis »

Jason Richards wrote:house rules = not a big deal. Just make sure your players know you're using a very heavily-modified system, and you should probably have characters built before you show up.

If your sure it won't be a problem that's awsome! I totally planned on having pregens ready, heck a lot of them are already made.
Thanks, I appreciate the input.
Your Fellow PFRPGM "D"

{Let them come, let them come in hoards, army hoards of the hundreds, NO thousands! They shal know my might and bow before the ever capable Felthric. For I have shaven my dogs buttucks an taught him to fart while walking backwards and as such their doom is evident. (The last recorded words of the first Ludicris Mage to enter the Land of the Damned.)}
Jason Richards

Unread post by Jason Richards »

Kythis wrote:
Jason Richards wrote:house rules = not a big deal. Just make sure your players know you're using a very heavily-modified system, and you should probably have characters built before you show up.

If your sure it won't be a problem that's awsome! I totally planned on having pregens ready, heck a lot of them are already made.
Thanks, I appreciate the input.

Hey, that's why I'm everyone's favorite! :D
Support the Breachworld RPG! This D6 RPG is full-color and packed with handcrafted gaming goodness.

Get the whole scoop at http://www.breachworld.com
Rabid Southern Cross Fan
Champion

Unread post by Rabid Southern Cross Fan »

Well, considering the nature of the 2 games Im running, I'm technically using house rules, as I've changed to mecha and such to reflect what I feel is closer to the Robotech Tv show.
Kythis
Wanderer

Unread post by Kythis »

Rabid Southern Cross Fan wrote:Well, considering the nature of the 2 games Im running, I'm technically using house rules, as I've changed to mecha and such to reflect what I feel is closer to the Robotech Tv show.

RSCF "My Roomy!" Your going to use House Rules too. Well that cinches it then. I'll run with all of my house rules and make sure that they are all posted before hand. I'll even post a break down of the character sheets so they'll know what everything is, how it works and how an when to use it. Does anyone have any other suggestions on how to best run with house rules?
Your Fellow PFRPGM "D"

Kythis
Wanderer

Unread post by Kythis »

CLD wrote:Looks like ill need to Dig my d30 out of my trucks tool box before I come..
(I'm from Texas dont ask....)

I run using primarily D30 too. :lol: No fear though, I'll be bringing extras for those that don't have them. :D
Your Fellow PFRPGM "D"

Warwolf
Comment: I am the Alpha of the Omega...
...The First of The Last...
...and this is the beginning of your end.

Unread post by Warwolf »

Kythis wrote:
CLD wrote:Looks like ill need to Dig my d30 out of my trucks tool box before I come..
(I'm from Texas dont ask....)

I run using primarily D30 too. :lol: No fear though, I'll be bringing extras for those that don't have them. :D

I only have one, and it serves only as my "Wrath of God" die. :lol:

I started running a Manhunter game last year (that WILL run this year) using a heavily modified ranged combat system, but I also had my changes printed out (there's an updated version for this year). In other words, house rules aren't a problem as long as the players know of them ahead of time.

Heck, some players and G.M.'s might play just to see how those rules stack up against the others they've seen! I know my rules and character sheets are in use in at least one other group. :lol:

Oh yeah, and Jason only thinks he's everyone's favorite... I think it's that whole "I'm from Texas, I'm such a cool guy" thing. :lol:

As twenty Texan Palladium fans show up on my lawn with shotguns... :?
Yeah, everytime I see a blazingly obvious moron walking the streets... I think, "score one for the creationists..." ~ DLDC
Warwolf is right... you can sig that. ~ TGK
I refuse to participate in a battle of wits with an unarmed man. ~ Me
Spinachcat
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Spinachcat »

I recommend against house rules even though I use them heavily at home for every game in every system from every company.

Keep in mind that convention games are NOT home games. Six strangers sit down for four or five hours and have fun and then leave the table.

You do NOT have time for character generation.

You do NOT have time to explain extensive house rules.

You do NOT have time to do anything but game at full speed.

There is NO next Saturday night to continue the game.

Now...here's the exception. If you have house rules that ONLY affect the GM side of the equation that the players will never see (such as my cutting all MDC/SDC/HP in half for the enemies) then that's fine.

Keep in mind. The ONLY thing you will have in common with the players at the table is familiarity with the core book. You can bet that every Rifts player is familiar with the Rifts core book and you can NOT bet on any other knowledge. They MAY be totally setting gurus...or they may ask you to remind them what a Juicer is.

Return to “Palladium Open House”