DO MDC Characters Get the Physical skills SDC Bonuses

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

DO SDC Bonuses apply to MDC Characters.

Yes Munchkin away
69%
No (respect the non existant game balance)
31%

Total votes: 78

Greyaxe
Champion
Comment: Role playing is not my hobby, it is my lifestyle.

DO MDC Characters Get the Physical skills SDC Bonuses

Unread post by Greyaxe »

Pretty straight forward, I use the Yes they do and Munchkin out my PC's but thought i would get everyone elses opinion.
Sureshot wrote:Listen you young whippersnappers in my day we had to walk for 15 no 30 miles to the nearest game barefoot both ways. We had real books not PDFS and we carried them on carts we pulled ourselves that we built by hand. We had Thaco and we were happy. If we needed dice we carved ours out of wood. Petrified wood just because we could.
rat_bastard
Kreelockian
Comment: Maybe if my sig line is clever enough someone will finally love me.

Unread post by rat_bastard »

if the guy is an sdc critter that gets turned into an mdc critter than yes.

having only two poll answers and making them needlessly insulting is not helpful.
"If a child shows a particular abundance of pity for fools or an overwhelming disdain for jibber jabber he is plucked from his family and raised by monks in the T-emple."
Josh Sinsapaugh
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: Carrying friends out of crowds and standing in the doorway looking like the Jack of Hearts since November 2008.

Unread post by Josh Sinsapaugh »

How I do it:

M.D.C. D-Bees and other non-Supernatural creatures that are M.D.C. (including most Creatures of Magic) - Yes.

Supernatural Creatures - No.

Incorporeal creaturs, ectoplasmic creatures, etc. - No.

Chuck Norris - Yes.

~ Josh
Colt47
Champion
Comment: Keeper of the Pies

Unread post by Colt47 »

Well, I guess it depends if the character is an MDC being to start with or was an SDC being and then turned into a MDC being. Like, if a character somehow managed to get his hands on half a billion credits he could turn himself into a MDC being using the Transmutation chambers of Atlantis. In that case the answer is no because it states that the person or being transformed starts with 75 MDC flat out. However, AFTER the transformation it doesn't say anything that negates the bonus SDC from physical skills from being added to the MDC. :lol:
Norbu the Enchanter: Hello friends! What brings you to my shop today?

Big Joe: We need some things enchanted to take a beating...

Norbu: Perhaps you want your weapons enchanted? Or maybe a shield or sword? I can even enchant armor!

Big Joe: We need you to enchant this Liver, this heart, and these kidneys.

Norbu: :shock:
londonbaz

Unread post by londonbaz »

No blanket rule as far as I know. I have always favoured "yes" if its a flesh and blood humanoid type, including Creatures of Magic or Supernaturals if it makes sense such as Godlings, Demi-Gods etc. Some Godlings are more athletic, and therfore tougher, than others - warrior godlings vs magic ones or scholatic ones for example.

When nothing definitive exists, use common sense in my opinion.
Greyaxe
Champion
Comment: Role playing is not my hobby, it is my lifestyle.

Unread post by Greyaxe »

rat_bastard wrote:if the guy is an sdc critter that gets turned into an mdc critter than yes.

having only two poll answers and making them needlessly insulting is not helpful.

You thought the poll questions were insulting.... they were intended to be humerous and somewhat sarcastic.
Sureshot wrote:Listen you young whippersnappers in my day we had to walk for 15 no 30 miles to the nearest game barefoot both ways. We had real books not PDFS and we carried them on carts we pulled ourselves that we built by hand. We had Thaco and we were happy. If we needed dice we carved ours out of wood. Petrified wood just because we could.
Spark
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Spark »

Only time I've given the SDC bonuses to an MDC character in the form of MDC, is when in the RCC it says they do. Otherwise, I don't give them the SDC bonus or I don't pick that skill. I'd let a player argue it, but likely unless they're a godling/demi-god, have body hardening, are a T-man, I'm not going to give it to them.
Ronin Shinobi
Dungeon Crawler
Comment: Sportsmeister and Mr.Sports of sound off, endorsed by cornholioprime

Unread post by Ronin Shinobi »

Spark wrote:Only time I've given the SDC bonuses to an MDC character in the form of MDC, is when in the RCC it says they do. Otherwise, I don't give them the SDC bonus or I don't pick that skill. I'd let a player argue it, but likely unless they're a godling/demi-god, have body hardening, are a T-man, I'm not going to give it to them.

That and if they were a SDC creature orginally and had been Rifted over. Like an invulerable character from HU for example.
Showoff often leads to showdown
Svartalf- Shinobi, You're twisted
Mack- I'm constantly amazed at what people will put their energy into. This planet needs more predators.
Saitou Hajime- What kind of Americian are you?
Shadyslug- Good question
Razorwing
Hero

Unread post by Razorwing »

Genrally I don't let SDC bonuses from physical skills convert to MDC. The reason for which is simple, we're talking about skin that is so ultra dense that most normal weapons do no damage, so the toughening effect of physical skills do little to add to it.

That said, there are some exceptions for SDC creatures that are transformed into MDC beings. Beings that can temporarily transform their SDC bodies into MDC do get the bonus SDC converted. Additionally, those who are permanently transformed get any bonus SDC they had as the time of transformation converted (though additional SDC bonuses are unlikely to be added).

There is one big exception to this general rule in my games, namely T-Men. Since the MDC transformation comes from the tattoos, bonuses from physical skills never applies (their natural SDC isn't being transformed, merely overshadowed and replaced).

To repeat myself, no naturally MDC creature (supernatural or D-Bee) gets the bonus SDC as MDC (they hardly need the bonus) in my games unless the description of the RCC says they do (as in the case of Demi-gods and godlings).
Vrykolas2k
Champion
Location: A snow-covered forest, littered with the bones of my slain enemies...

Unread post by Vrykolas2k »

rat_bastard wrote:if the guy is an sdc critter that gets turned into an mdc critter than yes.

I was going to say the second thing you said. As for the other... depends on the being in question.
Eyes without life, maggot-ridden corpses, mountains of skulls... these are a few of my favourite things.

I am the first angel, loved once above all others...

Light a man a fire, and he's warm for a day; light a man on fire, and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Turning the other cheek just gets you slapped harder.

The Smiling Bandit (Strikes Again!! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha!)
Crazy Lou
Hero

Unread post by Crazy Lou »

Razorwing wrote:Genrally I don't let SDC bonuses from physical skills convert to MDC. The reason for which is simple, we're talking about skin that is so ultra dense that most normal weapons do no damage, so the toughening effect of physical skills do little to add to it.

That said, there are some exceptions for SDC creatures that are transformed into MDC beings. Beings that can temporarily transform their SDC bodies into MDC do get the bonus SDC converted. Additionally, those who are permanently transformed get any bonus SDC they had as the time of transformation converted (though additional SDC bonuses are unlikely to be added).

There is one big exception to this general rule in my games, namely T-Men. Since the MDC transformation comes from the tattoos, bonuses from physical skills never applies (their natural SDC isn't being transformed, merely overshadowed and replaced).

To repeat myself, no naturally MDC creature (supernatural or D-Bee) gets the bonus SDC as MDC (they hardly need the bonus) in my games unless the description of the RCC says they do (as in the case of Demi-gods and godlings).

Yeah, I'm with you on this, and I'm even a huge lover of the munchkin style of gaming.
"If it's dangerous, do it. If it's suicidal, do it NOW!" -- Graffiti painted outside a Juicer Bar

nullum magnum ingenium sine mixtura dementiae fuit. -- Seneca The Younger
Spark
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Spark »

Ronin Shinobi wrote:
Spark wrote:Only time I've given the SDC bonuses to an MDC character in the form of MDC, is when in the RCC it says they do. Otherwise, I don't give them the SDC bonus or I don't pick that skill. I'd let a player argue it, but likely unless they're a godling/demi-god, have body hardening, are a T-man, I'm not going to give it to them.

That and if they were a SDC creature orginally and had been Rifted over. Like an invulerable character from HU for example.

Yeah but I'd have that go along side body hardening. Reason being that body hardening is an SDC world thing, and when you move to an MDC world you go to being an MDC creature. Once example of that would be an elf I ran for a short time had body hardening, and so in Rifts he became a minor MDC being, and so can still pick up SDC bonuses from skills. Conversions says so.
Mech-Viper Prime
Palladin
Comment: Full of Love and C-4, give me a hug.

Unread post by Mech-Viper Prime »

that is alittle harsh "jason" :D
Ravenwing wrote:"Killing Dbee's isn't murder, they aren't human, it's pest control!"

Zardoz wrote:You have been raised up from Brutality, to kill the Brutals who multiply, and are legion. To this end, Zardoz your God gave you the gift of the Gun. The Gun is good!
Damian Magecraft
Knight
Comment: Evil GM
Master of Magics
Defender of the Faith

Unread post by Damian Magecraft »

i allow it by using the "Thing theory" of development....
DM is correct by the way. - Ninjabunny
It's a shoddy carpenter who blames his tools. - Killer Cyborg
Every group has one problem player. If you cannot spot the one in your group; look in the mirror.
It is not a good session until at least one player looks you in the eye and says "you sick twisted evil ****"
Talavar
Hero

Unread post by Talavar »

Yep, I give physical skill bonuses as MDC for MDC characters. As others have said, it's the Thing working out, or Mr. Incredible exercising with trains in the Incredibles.
JTwig
Adventurer
Comment: Molon Labe

Unread post by JTwig »

Alejandro wrote:No, SDC bonuses are not applied to anything MDC.

In an MDC world, only MDC things can effect MDC things. If a skill says there's a bonus to SDC, then only SDC beings can have it. Only way SDC boosting skills could give bonuses to MDC is if the character in question had the skills before somehow becoming MDC.

If MDC can only exist in an MDC world, then obviously it is far superior to anything SDC so you'd need a skill that says bonuses to MDC to gain more MD. That's pretty much how the revised ruling on MDC seems to go. Considering how there's 3 different kinds of strength (normal, robotic, supernatural...maybe more), that which gives someone of normal strength +1d6 SDC would be completely different from what it would take to give something supernatural the equivalent in MDC.

Ludicrous? Sure, but so is MDC now.

In fact, I believe that my first printing Sourcebook One has an FAQ from Kevin were he states something similar (without the M.D.C. Ludicrous part).
JTwig
Adventurer
Comment: Molon Labe

Unread post by JTwig »

Retired Juicer wrote:
i remeber reading something that stated MD creatures don't get the bounses.

We all do, thats the problem. Because nobody can recall EXACTLY where, and the topic has not been addressed by Kevin for sometime. Also with the game being semi-updated (circa RUE) I guess some of us are hoping for a ruling we think makes more sense.

So basically you want the rule to be changed so that the GM can't rule that your first level hatchling dragon can not keep the extra M.D.C. it recieve at first level that allow him to break the 500 mark. :lol: :-P :lol: Just joking.

Seriously though, I think this is just a matter of opinion. I think that the current rule were they don't recieve a bonus for physical skills makes sense, or at least as much sense as everything else that deals with M.D.C.

I mean, its a fictional setting dealing with a fictional damage category. Who is to say which argument is more persuasive, or "pluasable". I think this is something that should be decided between gaming groups, and does not need an official ruling or rule change.
Augur
Dungeon Crawler
Comment: Creator of the best PBP sites online: Explorers Unlimited & Savage Rifts

Unread post by Augur »

It usually varies according to Race.

A two-answer poll (irregardless of attempted humor) is simply disingenuous.

As with all things of an RPG nature, it's never as simple as that.
ImageImageImage
Colt47
Champion
Comment: Keeper of the Pies

Unread post by Colt47 »

Yes they get the full bonus from physical skills. They just need to work 100 times harder then a normal human to get the benefits.
Norbu the Enchanter: Hello friends! What brings you to my shop today?

Big Joe: We need some things enchanted to take a beating...

Norbu: Perhaps you want your weapons enchanted? Or maybe a shield or sword? I can even enchant armor!

Big Joe: We need you to enchant this Liver, this heart, and these kidneys.

Norbu: :shock:
Vinny
Adventurer

Unread post by Vinny »

My list is the same as Josh's except for Chuck Norris. He's a Supernatural Creature, therefore doesn't get the bonuses.
The Phoenix is Coming!
Mudang
Adventurer
Comment: life of lively to live to life of full life thx to shield battery

Unread post by Mudang »

NulSyn wrote:
Vinny wrote:My list is the same as Josh's except for Chuck Norris. He's a Supernatural Creature, therefore doesn't get the bonuses.

In my games he's a MEGA-Supernatural Creature and does recive the bonuses! :D

Chuck Norris neither wants nor needs such trivial bonuses.
Crazy Lou
Hero

Unread post by Crazy Lou »

I say yes for physical MDC beings, but not demons or such IMO. This is b/c I think physical skills are relative to the being. Thus if a godling took the skill physical labor, then he'd have done much greater labor, heavier lifting, or worked far far far longer than a normal human who took the same skill.
"If it's dangerous, do it. If it's suicidal, do it NOW!" -- Graffiti painted outside a Juicer Bar

nullum magnum ingenium sine mixtura dementiae fuit. -- Seneca The Younger
dark brandon
Knight
Comment: I want you more when you're afraid of me.

Unread post by dark brandon »

yes. No real reason why I do, I just do.
"We're trapped in the belly of this horrible machine And the machine is bleeding to death The sun has fallen down And the billboards are all leering And the flags are all dead at the top of their poles ...I open up my wallet And it's full of blood "~~Godspeed you black emperor.

Return to “Rifts®”