Back on board!

For discussion of the Palladium Open House, both past (May 2006 & May 2007) and possible future Open Houses. Who's going, games you're running or looking to play, etc.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

MADMANMIKE
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: The Emolancer

Back on board!

Unread post by MADMANMIKE »

RE-EDIT: I've got the new job, I've gotten approval to take off a four day weekend, and I've probably got the extra money to spend, so it looks Like I'm back in!

EDIT: I have been fired from my job of four and a half years thanks to the lies of a customer, so it is highly unlikely that I will be able to attend after all. I'll miss this more than the trip to Florida we had planned, and sorry to those that looked forward to seeing me there. Maybe next year.

..I'll post a reply with the same message at so this isn't missed by anyone reading the thread.

..It turns out this year bidding for vacation times next year I have five years seniority. That means 3 weeks vacation. The family is going to Florida in June, I get a week off for my first daughter's birthday in October and I've got the week of the Open House off too!

..I'm goin' to Motor City!

-Mike >8]
Last edited by MADMANMIKE on Wed Feb 21, 2007 12:53 am, edited 2 times in total.
Minions - Character Sheets <---- UPDATED LINK TO MY DA PAGE!!!
Must repeat my mantra: As a genius, I am not qualified to make the assessment "it doesn't take a genius to figure this out."
Warwolf
Comment: I am the Alpha of the Omega...
...The First of The Last...
...and this is the beginning of your end.

Re: HOODY HOO! It's on Baby!

Unread post by Warwolf »

MADMANMIKE wrote:..It turns out this year bidding for vacation times next year I have five years seniority. That means 3 weeks vacation. The family is going to Florida in June, I get a week off for my first daughter's birthday in October and I've got the week of the Open House off too!

..I'm goin' to Motor City!

-Mike >8]

Yeah, he woke me from a dead sleep to give me the news. I'd say he's excited. :lol:

Heck, even I'm glad you come... it would have been a lonely ride up. :D
Yeah, everytime I see a blazingly obvious moron walking the streets... I think, "score one for the creationists..." ~ DLDC
Warwolf is right... you can sig that. ~ TGK
I refuse to participate in a battle of wits with an unarmed man. ~ Me
MADMANMIKE

..Well, Julian and I are planning to make some Deadboy Armor, and if it comes out right he wants to go too. He's got a better car than you, so we may be able to have a safer trip..

-Mike <8]
Must repeat my mantra: As a genius, I am not qualified to make the assessment "it doesn't take a genius to figure this out."
Warwolf

Unread post by Warwolf »

MADMANMIKE wrote:..Well, Julian and I are planning to make some Deadboy Armor, and if it comes out right he wants to go too. He's got a better car than you, so we may be able to have a safer trip..

-Mike <8]

By that time, I'LL have a better car (mine's up for inspection next month, and you KNOW it isn't going to pass). Thus, I have to purchase another vehicle to get around legally. But we'll just have to see what I manage to find with my budget. I wouldn't be averse to riding up with Julian (as long as there's room in the car), but we can discuss that as the trip draws closer. :)

Not to mention, if push comes to shove, I was considering renting a car to drive up in. :D
Yeah, everytime I see a blazingly obvious moron walking the streets... I think, "score one for the creationists..." ~ DLDC
MADMANMIKE

..Well, I know of a van that might carry people if things work out right, but I don't think it has the built in DVD like mine..

-Mike <8]
Xar
Rifter® Contributer
Comment: J.V. Adams
(he/him/his)

Unread post by Xar »

Sooo cool! I just called the Palladium office and ordered my ticket. Julius took my order and remembered me from his game and talking to me last year, and he remembered introducing me to Randy McCall. Made my day.

So, yes, Mike, a van is a viable option, if we need it.
~Xar~

↑, ↑, ↓, ↓, ←, →, ←, →, B, A select start
Warwolf

Unread post by Warwolf »

Ranger wrote:I am going too...Hope to bring Sentinel also.

That's some awesome news too. Tell Sentinel he needs to come and meet some of his acquaintances from the boards (heck, I haven't even seen a post from him in months). :)
MADMANMIKE

..I have been fired from my job of four and a half years thanks to the lies of a customer, so it is highly unlikely that I will be able to attend after all. I'll miss this more than the trip to Florida we had planned, and sorry to those that looked forward to seeing me there. Maybe next year.

-Mike
Chaos
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Chaos »

Buckle down mate you can still make just need to hammer out the details and budget a little more. I lost my job in December but I still plan on going, I finally got the finances figured out and now just need to get the ride up there straightened out. Don't give up yet, I don't wanna miss out on your antics when I get there! ;)
MADMANMIKE

..Even on the low end of what I've been making, it will probably take a full time and a part time job to get close pay-wise; it's not so much the money, our tax return would handle that, it's just that to make ends meet I'll have to be working long hours, and I can't imagine finding a job or jobs that will let me take the time off that soon.

-Mike
NMI
OLD ONE

Unread post by NMI »

I am sorry to hear of this MMM.
"Freedom is the recognition that no single person, no single authority or government has a monopoly on the truth, but that every individual life is infinitely precious, that every one of us put on this world has been put there for a reason and has something to offer."
Megaversal Ambassador Coordinator
My GoFund Me - Help Me Walk Again
Chaos
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Chaos »

MADMANMIKE wrote:..Even on the low end of what I've been making, it will probably take a full time and a part time job to get close pay-wise; it's not so much the money, our tax return would handle that, it's just that to make ends meet I'll have to be working long hours, and I can't imagine finding a job or jobs that will let me take the time off that soon.

-Mike

I see I really hadn't thought of that I forget my situation is quite unique about this as I am now not able to work any longer and this will probably be my last chance to go, my wife is almost demanding that we go now. Income Taxes are what she wants to use, and there is very little that I'll get for "Play Money" but its about going and meeting the people I have respected for so many years more than anything else. She doesn't even plan on attending and only wants the weekend for relaxing and pampering herself, something she really deserves. Its a do it now or never thing for us, that determination is making us find ways to make it all work and driving our descision making process. I still hope in the end you can make it, you never know it all might just fall into place for you just don't give up hope is what I mean.

Take Care and Good Luck with the Job Search ;),
Chaos

PS I let similar problems to the one you mention keep me from going last year, and have regretted it :( and in the end I realized I could have went if I hadn't given up! Thats all ...
Carl Gleba
Comment: Lord of Chaos!

Unread post by Carl Gleba »

Sorry to hear mike. If the situation changes let us know.

Carl
ImageImage
MADMANMIKE

..Thanks guys. My wife has started talking about selling the house and moving somewhere closer to Kansas City (where I'm from originally, and where most of my extended family lives) since there's always more opportunity in a city. That opens a whole other can of worms, and changes my job opportunities as well.

..Something will happen, I don't know what, but if there's any way at all for me to make it, I'm going to try. I need it, more than I did last year, especially now.

-Mike
Xar
Rifter® Contributer
(he/him/his)

Unread post by Xar »

Check your pm, Mike.
~Xar~

Preacher
Hero
Comment: My Thermonuclear level defense of Palladium is neither condoned nor endorsed by Palladium Books.

Unread post by Preacher »

Mike, I am so sorry to hear about your job thing. That sucks man.

I sincerely hope your fortune turns around for the better.
ImageImage Yeah I like guns. Image
I pledge allegiance to this flag, if that bothers you well that's too bad!!!
Warwolf

Unread post by Warwolf »

Well folks, I talked to our favorite lunatic-savant today. There are a couple of solid job prospects that don't involve him moving, so let's all keep our fingers crossed that one of them pans out. I've already talked with him about providing transportation and possibly lodging while we are there, so it really comes down to whether or not he can get the time off.
Eryk Stormbright
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Eryk Stormbright »

hey WW, if you and mike, or anyone else wants to car pool up there me and heather would be more than willing(if our car is up and running again by then *grumbles*). me, Mike, Xar, and heather did that last year.
I am master of all I see.... and I see Everything.
Warwolf

Unread post by Warwolf »

Eryk Stormbright wrote:hey WW, if you and mike, or anyone else wants to car pool up there me and heather would be more than willing(if our car is up and running again by then *grumbles*). me, Mike, Xar, and heather did that last year.

Thanks for the offer, but there's a small scheduling issue that will probably prevent that from happening, as I'll be leaving earlier than last time to get up to Detroit.

I'll discuss it with you next time we talk. :)
MADMANMIKE

..Alright, if all goes well, I should be starting my new job tomorrow or Wednesday. And the first thing I'm going to do is bring up taking a four day weekend for this convention.

..The job is Monday through Friday and sometimes Saturday if necessary. I'll volunteer to work four Saturdays if I have to to get that weekend.

..The Tax return is going to be big, but not working for the past four weeks is going to take a chunk out of it, and the new job is going to mean buying another vehicle to get to and from work, but I intend to keep back some cash for the trip.

..I'll post when I know if I can pull this off.

-Mike
Carl Gleba
Comment: Lord of Chaos!

Unread post by Carl Gleba »

MADMANMIKE wrote:..Alright, if all goes well, I should be starting my new job tomorrow or Wednesday. And the first thing I'm going to do is bring up taking a four day weekend for this convention.

..The job is Monday through Friday and sometimes Saturday if necessary. I'll volunteer to work four Saturdays if I have to to get that weekend.

..The Tax return is going to be big, but not working for the past four weeks is going to take a chunk out of it, and the new job is going to mean buying another vehicle to get to and from work, but I intend to keep back some cash for the trip.

..I'll post when I know if I can pull this off.

-Mike

Good luck with everything :ok:

Carl
ImageImage
Eryk Stormbright
Dungeon Crawler

well i hope you can make it Mike, we'd love to see yeah again and hang out, maybe get alittle RP in too :lol:
MADMANMIKE

Eryk Stormbright wrote:well i hope you can make it Mike, we'd love to see yeah again and hang out, maybe get alittle RP in too :lol:

..That'd be great. I tell you, between our talk on the way up last year and this particular podcast I've been listening too, I'm almost ready to give that "other" game a try.

-Mike >8]
Warwolf

Unread post by Warwolf »

MADMANMIKE wrote:..I'll post when I know if I can pull this off.

Please get ahold of me as soon as you know. I'm probably going to reserve my rooms this week, and I'll be taking a look at rental vehicles this weekend. However, if you end up going, my transportation plans might change.
MADMANMIKE

..Alright, it's official, I got the job. After deftly jumping through all the hoops, they've officially hired me at Schwan's.

..The lousy part is the DM is teaching a class 170 miles away tomorrow, so I can't go in to do the final paperwork until he's back on Thursday afternoon, and that means I can't start until Monday next week.

..So tomorrow when I go buy the four valentines on my list, I'll have to drop by a couple of fast food restauraunts to put in applications in order to collect unemployment for this week. What a screwed up system.

..Anyway, I should know by Thursday evening if I can go this time around.

..Warwolf, there's little chance that I could go up for Thursday with you. I was looking forward to helping set things up, but as it is, I'll probably work until 10PM that Thursday and spend the day driving on Friday.

..Assuming I can get the time of course (I think it's likely I can). That said, Xar, Erick, and anyone else in the Missouri area, carpooling is on the list. I'll have to buy a new used vehicle to get back and forth to work, and depending on what I find, I may be able to drive. I'd love to find another van like I had before, but money wise it's more likely I'll have to settle for a small truck or micro car.

-Mike
kamikazzijoe
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by kamikazzijoe »

Glad to know there is a chance you can come. It wouldn't've been the same without you.
Dr. Doom v.3.0 wrote:
You should change your title to Necromancer.

Go forth my minions! Kill! Maim! Destroy!
Xar
Rifter® Contributer
(he/him/his)

Unread post by Xar »

MADMANMIKE wrote:..Alright, it's official, I got the job. After deftly jumping through all the hoops, they've officially hired me at Schwan's.

..The lousy part is the DM is teaching a class 170 miles away tomorrow, so I can't go in to do the final paperwork until he's back on Thursday afternoon, and that means I can't start until Monday next week.

..So tomorrow when I go buy the four valentines on my list, I'll have to drop by a couple of fast food restauraunts to put in applications in order to collect unemployment for this week. What a screwed up system.

..Anyway, I should know by Thursday evening if I can go this time around.

..Warwolf, there's little chance that I could go up for Thursday with you. I was looking forward to helping set things up, but as it is, I'll probably work until 10PM that Thursday and spend the day driving on Friday.

..Assuming I can get the time of course (I think it's likely I can). That said, Xar, Erick, and anyone else in the Missouri area, carpooling is on the list. I'll have to buy a new used vehicle to get back and forth to work, and depending on what I find, I may be able to drive. I'd love to find another van like I had before, but money wise it's more likely I'll have to settle for a small truck or micro car.

-Mike

Good deal, amigo. My car or van is available, of course. Van holds seven. I've already reserved a room at the Ramada.
~Xar~

Warwolf

Unread post by Warwolf »

MADMANMIKE wrote:Warwolf, there's little chance that I could go up for Thursday with you. I was looking forward to helping set things up, but as it is, I'll probably work until 10PM that Thursday and spend the day driving on Friday.

Hey man, I'm just glad that you get to go. I'm with kamikazzijoe that it wouldn't be the same without you. You'll just be part of the Missouri convoy rather than riding with me. :lol:

That reminds me, I need to put everyone in touch with each other so people can figure out who's riding with whom... :?
Eryk Stormbright
Dungeon Crawler

good to hear you can make it Mike, heather just told me to say hi and that we are moving on the 1st. so that's going to take a nice chunk of change. our car is still dead so we will have to bum a ride from someone to get up there, but of course gas money would be given, we had a blast lastyear riding up with Xar and Mike. hope we can do it again!
MADMANMIKE

..Okay, the new boss quickly said "That won't be a problem" when I asked if I could get the Friday before and Monday after the Open House off to attend, even before I could volunteer to work on the weekends before and after to make it up.

..So right now the only concern is money. We just got a substantial tax return, but I need to buy a vehicle. As long as I can find something cheap that gets me back and forth to work (about 40 miles a day round trip), and I mean cheap, I should be able to attend.

..Actually, I think that I can increase my earnings in the job pretty quick, so theoretically I could have a bonus or even just be making more money by then that it will be easy to afford.

..Game On!

-Mike >8]
Eryk Stormbright
Dungeon Crawler

Right on man, congrats on the job and i'm sure things will work out with the car. i'm looking forward to seeing you again. :lol: and i still have your map in my trunk
Reddenedone
Adventurer

Unread post by Reddenedone »

So Mike, what do you need to get you to the Open House? Do you have your tickets yet, room?
MADMANMIKE

..Xar's got the room sewn up already, I still need to order tickets, but like I said, I have to buy a vehicle before I can get that far.

..Likewise I have just a few weekends to do the costume(s). I've got a couple of helpers for that project, and it may end up paying for itself if we pull it off well enough.

-Mike >8]
MADMANMIKE

Citizen Lazlo wrote:
MADMANMIKE wrote:..Xar's got the room sewn up already, I still need to order tickets, but like I said, I have to buy a vehicle before I can get that far.

..Likewise I have just a few weekends to do the costume(s). I've got a couple of helpers for that project, and it may end up paying for itself if we pull it off well enough.

-Mike >8]

You could always ride the little grey dog.

I am on the way up because Karen isn't driving up till friday.

:)

..Oh getting there isn't a problem, there's enough people from Missouri going that there are plenty of rides; In fact I'm thinking of looking into renting a big van to take alot of us at once.

.No, I need a vehicle to get to and from work, and until I know how much I'll have to spend on that, I can't garauntee I'll have the funds to go to the Open House. Actually, I'm sure that I'll be making bonuses at work that will pay for the trip and then some, but I can't bank on that at this point.

..I have to be at work at 8:15 this morning and expect to be at work until close to 10PM tonight, and still had to be up by 5:30AM because I have to take my wife to work at 7AM thanks to being short a vehicle.

-Mike <8]
MADMANMIKE

..So it turns out a girl that works for my wife has a 1989 Crown Victoria with 123,000 miles on it; she's driven it for the past four years to and from work and school, and her father bought it for her from the original owner, a little old man who maintained it in the classic style.

..We're probably going to get it for less than 1,000, and even if we spend another 1,500 fixing anything that might be wrong with it, I'll still have plenty left over to make it to the Open House. By this time next week I expect I'll be purchasing my tickets.

-Mike <8]
MADMANMIKE

..Well, I didn't get the crown vic; I found a better deal I couldn't pass up, a '95 escort wagon with only 94k on it and a history of only two owners. Runs great, can fill the tank for under 25 bucks, and gets great gas mileage. And it only cost $1750, so I'm definately going.

..We've got a van load already, but anyone else in Missouri or along our route through Illinois and Indiana is welcome to form a Convoy.

-Mike <8]
Xar
Rifter® Contributer
(he/him/his)

Unread post by Xar »

MADMANMIKE wrote:..Well, I didn't get the crown vic; I found a better deal I couldn't pass up, a '95 escort wagon with only 94k on it and a history of only two owners. Runs great, can fill the tank for under 25 bucks, and gets great gas mileage. And it only cost $1750, so I'm definately going.

..We've got a van load already, but anyone else in Missouri or along our route through Illinois and Indiana is welcome to form a Convoy.

-Mike <8]

What you didn't know is that I have that song on my iPod. :lol:
~Xar~

MADMANMIKE

..Wait, I did know that. Have you got that one from Binny and June, "500 miles"? Let's see how many times we can listen to that without everyone becoming as crazy as me..

.."DA-di-li-Da-Da! DA-di-li-Da-Da! DA-di-li-Da-Da! DA-di-li-Da-Da! DA-di-li-da-di-li-da-di-li-da-da-da!"

-Mike >8]
Warwolf

Unread post by Warwolf »

MADMANMIKE wrote:..Wait, I did know that. Have you got that one from Binny and June, "500 miles"? Let's see how many times we can listen to that without everyone becoming as crazy as me..

.."DA-di-li-Da-Da! DA-di-li-Da-Da! DA-di-li-Da-Da! DA-di-li-Da-Da! DA-di-li-da-di-li-da-di-li-da-da-da!"

Perhaps it is a blessing that I'm driving myself up... :lol:
Chaos
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Chaos »

I'm just glad to hear everything worked out for you MMM and looking forward to meeting you all :ok: You "Never gave up" Congratz on a hppy ending :D

Return to “Palladium Open House”