True Atlantean Tattooed Martial Adept

Dimension Books & nothing but..

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Kryzbyn
Hero
Comment: How do you tell a communist? Well, it's someone who reads Marx and Lenin. And how do you tell an anti-Communist? It's someone who understands Marx and Lenin.
Ronald Reagan

True Atlantean Tattooed Martial Adept

Unread post by Kryzbyn »

KK here goes. This is my first attempt at making an O.C.C., so please be gentle :oops:

Tattooed Martial Adept O.C.C

During the time of prosperity on Atlantis, many Atlanteans studied and worked with the Chiang Ku on various ways to create and use magical tattoos. Students that practiced the arts martial began to wonder how to best apply these wondrous things into their training and study as well. As a result, the Tattooed Martial Adept was born.
These true Atlanteans use the same focus that drives them to combat supernatural evil to also hone their bodies and minds into weapons themselves training in various weapons. They subject themselves to various intense body hardening exercises, strength training and spiritual focus, making them M.D.C. beings with increased strength and reflexes.
They use their tattoos, melee weapons and training in combat only. They will not wear armor or use modern ranged weapons.
Masters of this art became picky on who they trained, only choosing those that remained focused on their personal path to mental and physical perfection. Because of this, there were not many practitioners of this style, and after the cataclysm of Atlantis, very few Tattooed Martial Adepts remained. There are, however still a few Chiang Ku that can pass on the secrets and keep in touch with existing masters to keep the art alive and help with the application of new tattoos.
Today, this nearly lost art is a guarded secret among those that know it, and are even more reluctant to train other Atlanteans in this art. Only those that show true dedication and worth will be chosen. A small school has been set up somewhere in North America, as well as one on Center, but finding their location is a monumental task. Its secret is well kept, and one of the first steps toward admittance is that one can even find them in the first place...
On a side note, those that do practice this art have begun to look into the slayings of their brethren by an outside force. Even to the average Atlantean, this is a horror, but to the adepts, it is a major injustice that shall not go unanswered.
Furthermore, those that travel to Rifts Earth have started an unfriendly rivalry with T-men from their ancestral homeland. They see them as a sick perversion of their art, and destroy these servants of the Splugorth when encountered.

Atlantean Characteristics as they apply to Tattooed Martial Adepts
1. Magic tattoos denote heritage. Same as Undead Slayer.
2. Increased P.P.E from magic tattoos. Base P.P.E. is 2d6x10 for all Tattooed Martial Adepts, male and females. Add 15 P.P.E points each level of experience and 5 P.P.E. for each additional tattoo. Thus, a typical Tattooed Martial Adept will start with 125-225 P.P.E. Remember, that character can also draw P.P.E> from ley lines and nexus points.
3. Increased P.P.E. recovery: The Tattooed Martial Adept’s P.P.E. replenishes itself at a rate of 20 points per hour of rest.
4. M.D.C. transformation. Tattooed Martial Adepts have a base M.D.C of 2d6x10 plus each tattoo beyond six instills them with an additional 15 M.D.C. This is the same for male and female adepts.
5. Cannot be physically transformed by any means.
6. Continue to grow as adults. Same as Undead Slayer.
7. Sense Vampires. Same as Undead Slayer.
8. Operate Dimensional Pyramids. Same as Undead Slayer.
9. Sense Ley lines. Same as Undead Slayer.
10. Sense rifts. Same as Undead Slayer.
11. Ley line phasing. Same as Undead Slayer.
12. Other Bonuses: +4 to save vs. magic and psionics of all kinds (in addition to attribute bonuses), +8 to save vs. horror factor. Attribute bonuses due to their intense training: +2 to M.E., +2 to P.P, +2 to P.S and +2 to P.E. Tattooed Martial Adepts are considered supernatural beings.

Race: True Atlanteans only
Attribute requirements: None.
Alignment: Any good.
O.C.C Skills:
First Aid (+10%)
Languages & Literacy: Dragonese/Elf, American, Greek at 98%
Languages: Speaks 2 additional languages of choice (+15%)
Lore: Demon and Monsters (+15%)
Lore: Faerie (+10%)
Land Navigation (+15%)
Wilderness Survival (+15%)
Intelligence (+10%)
Tracking (+5%)
Swimming (+5%)
Prowl (+10%)
Boxing
Gymnastics (+10%)
W.P. Blunt
W.P. Sword
W.P. Knife
W.P. Archery and targeting
W.P. Shield
Hand to Hand: Martial arts

O.C.C. Related skills: Select a total of 8 other skills. Plus 2 additional skills at levels three, seven, eleven and fifteen.
All new skills start at level one proficiency.
Communications: Any (+5%)
Domestic: Any (+5%)
Electrical: None
Espionage: Any
Mechanical: None
Medical: Paramedic or holistic only.
Military: Any
Physical: Any (+10%)
Pilot: Any, except robots and power armor skills.
Pilot Related: Any
Rogue: Any (+5%)
Science: Any
Technical: Any, except computer
Weapon Proficiencies: Any, except modern ranged weapons.
Wilderness: Any (+5%)
Secondary Skills: The character also gets to select five secondary skills from the previous list. These are in additional areas of knowledge that do not get the advantage of the bonus listed in parenthesis (). All Secondary skills start at the base skill level. Also, skills are limited (any, only, none) as previously indicated in that list.
Standard Equipment: Starts play with clothes, survival gear, a first aid kit, camping gear, a silver cross, 4 wooden stakes and mallet, melee weapons of choice, 1 ranged weapon of choice (archaic only) and ammunition.
May use TW melee and ranged weapons.
Magic Tattoos: In addition to the marks of heritage, the character starts play with:
• 4 simple weapon tattoos of choice
• 4 magic weapon tattoos of choice
• 6 power tattoos
• 4 other tattoos of choice, except power tattoos.
Each level thereafter, he may either choose 2 simple (animal or simple weapon) or 1 major (power, monster, or magic weapon) tattoo(s). Otherwise same as Undead Slayer.
Money: 4d6x1000 in precious gems or artifacts. Tattooed Martial Adepts are not motivated by wealth, but dedicated to perfecting their combat abilities.
Cybernetics: Same as Undead Slayer.

EDIT: Removed Electrical and Mechanical from related skill choices. Added W.P. Shield, removed W.P. Chain. Lowered all physical bonuses and removed speed bonus.

The above uses concepts that are the property of Palladium Books.
No copyright infringement is intended nor should it be inferred.
Last edited by Kryzbyn on Fri Nov 10, 2006 5:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.

BAD MOMMA DOG-FACE BANANA PATCH
"Well said, Kryzbyn! :ok: " -Killer Cyborg
"...I have to agree with the questions and comments made by Kryzbyn." - The man himself, Kevin Siembieda
+100 "acting like a real man" points - DLDC
"Damnit, we agree on something. It's time to rethink my position." - Misfit KotLD
HIPPIES ARE WHAT D-BEES EAT
Braden Campbell
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer

Unread post by Braden Campbell »

Ok... ok....

so you want Atlantean Shao-lin monks?

First you need to focus the OCC... what do these guys do for a living, and why do they do it? Are they on a quest for inner enlightenment through martial arts training? Seeking Nervana? Are they, perhaps, hoping to find personal forgiveness for the Atlantis Disaster (which would fit)?

Once you have the focus, you can start to tailor them so that they are a different OCC from T-man, or Undead Slayer. Their focus should be their martial arts skills, rather than tatoos... right now they have waaay too many.
Braden, GMPhD

If that doesn't prompt you to buy it, I don't know what else I can say.
Kryzbyn
Hero
Comment: How do you tell a communist? Well, it's someone who reads Marx and Lenin. And how do you tell an anti-Communist? It's someone who understands Marx and Lenin.
Ronald Reagan

Unread post by Kryzbyn »

They start with 18 tats just like the undead slayer, just a different selection.
The MDC difference is that they are a front line melee class.
The PPE difference is to show that they are more focused (read dependant) on their tat use than other atlantean users...
They cannot use EPA, PA, energy rifles or pistols, rail guns...any modern weaponry or armor.

The background info is a bit weak, but it was 3 am when I wrote it :P.

To do this class more justice I was going to come up with new tattoos, to further along the background info that these guys worked with the Chaing Ku in their studies to come up with more focused tats. I was going to make them to emulate stuff from N&S or Rifts Japan, but wanted to stay away from the eastern stereotypes that Darkmax had brought up on a different thread.
I don't envision these guys as "eastern" martial artists, but something more ancient. Using the existing tat descriptions in Atlantis (I just got the Magic book today, didnt see the new tats) they could summon a magic sword, shield, and use invulnerability tat or knight in armor tat and fight more like Hoplites or Myrmidons from Greek/Spartan history. They can fight unarmed, but that was the style I was leaning towards. Envision Achilles from legend being a Tattooed Martial Adept...
Also, I felt that an origional Atlantean martial tattooed warrior should be a hair more powerful than an Undead Slayer, but more so than a Splugorth knock-off (the T-Man) that isn't even Atlantean.
As far as the background info, based on what you've seen so far, help me come up with more flesh for it, then. I am open to suggestions.

"...I have to agree with the questions and comments made by Kryzbyn." - The man himself, Kevin Siembieda
"Damnit, we agree on something. It's time to rethink my position." - Misfit KotLD
Kryzbyn
Hero
Ronald Reagan

Unread post by Kryzbyn »

Also, think of it as a wee bit of power creep.
These guys are also around in the PW setting.

Kryzbyn
Hero
Ronald Reagan

Unread post by Kryzbyn »

Not NO ranged weapons, just no modern ones.
One of their magic tats is probably going to be a short bow, with add-ons.
Or a spear or javelin, keeping with the Myrmidon example.

Every class has its Achilles heel (pun intended).

Kryzbyn
Hero
Ronald Reagan

Unread post by Kryzbyn »

No, they just prefer melee combat.
As I said in the write up they prefer to rely on their training and tats in combat. They aren't techno-phobic, it's just a preference or a code of honor or maybe even a pinch of over confidence...take your pick.

Kryzbyn
Hero
Ronald Reagan

Unread post by Kryzbyn »

I guess you missed the part under standard equipment:
"May also use TW melee or ranged weapons"
A TW bow supplemented with tats could be nasty, not to mention any of the other plethora of TW ranged weapons out there.

Kryzbyn
Hero
Ronald Reagan

Unread post by Kryzbyn »

darkmax wrote:Nice, but I find it too powerful.

So I guess this no longer applies then?
Just like any other class out there, if they get jumped, they are screwed.
With time to prepare, even a few seconds, they can stand up to <and kill> a guy in EBA with a Laser rifle.
Last edited by Kryzbyn on Wed Nov 08, 2006 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kryzbyn
Hero
Ronald Reagan

Unread post by Kryzbyn »

Which of the other tattooed men wear armor? Kinda hard to get at the tats..

Kryzbyn
Hero
Ronald Reagan

Unread post by Kryzbyn »

Yeah. I'm an atlantean posing as an outside force killing my own people. I'm gonna remove an arm piece to get at some tats and show everyone my marks of heritage...
They don't rely on their tattoos for combat.

Unfortuantely though, technically you're right :P

Kryzbyn
Hero
Ronald Reagan

Unread post by Kryzbyn »

lol
CLACK CLACK CLACK CLACK

here come those damned Sunaj again... :lol:

Greyaxe
Champion
Comment: Role playing is not my hobby, it is my lifestyle.

Unread post by Greyaxe »

Reduce the number of tattoos by half, they get too many and keep the MDC for each new tat the same as all other atlanteans. Add one new tattoo every two levels Eliminate the skill catagories mechanical and electrical, these guys rely on their own powers not machines. Adopt the martial art skills from the conversion book, to suplement mdc and remain focused on martial arts. Starts with three martial art powers get a new one every three levels. Just my thoughts hope they help.
Sureshot wrote:Listen you young whippersnappers in my day we had to walk for 15 no 30 miles to the nearest game barefoot both ways. We had real books not PDFS and we carried them on carts we pulled ourselves that we built by hand. We had Thaco and we were happy. If we needed dice we carved ours out of wood. Petrified wood just because we could.
taalismn
Priest

Unread post by taalismn »

darkmax wrote:That's why I say, it's a bit too powerful.

Maybe the sort of uber-PC to travel with CosmoKnights?
-------------
"Trouble rather the Tiger in his Lair,
Than the Sage among his Books,
For all the Empires and Kingdoms,
The Armies and Works that you hold Dear,
Are to him but the Playthings of the Moment,
To be turned over with the Flick of a Finger,
And the Turning of a Page"

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Kryzbyn
Hero
Ronald Reagan

Unread post by Kryzbyn »

Greyaxe wrote:Reduce the number of tattoos by half, they get too many and keep the MDC for each new tat the same as all other atlanteans. Add one new tattoo every two levels Eliminate the skill catagories mechanical and electrical, these guys rely on their own powers not machines. Adopt the martial art skills from the conversion book, to suplement mdc and remain focused on martial arts. Starts with three martial art powers get a new one every three levels. Just my thoughts hope they help.

Don't want an eastern feel. Don't want CHI abilities. That horse has been beaten to death.
The Mechanics and Electrical agreed.
Again, he starts with the same amount of tats as the Undead Slayer, and gains them at the same rate. Its not too much.

Kryzbyn
Hero
Ronald Reagan

Unread post by Kryzbyn »

WOW...
If we're gonna hold this OCC up to the Cosmoknight, I got some bumping up to do...

Kryzbyn
Hero
Ronald Reagan

Unread post by Kryzbyn »

Removed the Electrical and Mechanical skills from related and W.P. Chain.
Added W.P. Shield.

As far as the tats go, what is the problem exactly? As I've said before they get the same amount of starting tats as the undead slayer...
Too many power tats at first level?
What would be a better selection?
Should I change the name to avoid the association with eastern martial arts?

Greyaxe
Champion

Unread post by Greyaxe »

Im not entierly sure you can avoid the eastern martial arts flavor with the OCC you intend to design. These guys are mystical in nature and follow many ofthe same principles and practices as their brothers in the east. Perhpas instead of using CHI you could simply state that as atlanteans they focuse PPE in the development of martial art abilities, or create special tattoos only available to this class mimiking the effects of martial art abilities, that way they activate the tattoos to invoke their martial powers. Which would be very different form the Mystic China variants and retain the feel of the tattooed martial artist, What do you think? As for the reduction in Tattoos i think to maintain game balance because the starting MDC is so much higher than a slayer you should reduce the tattoos perhaps not by half maybe by four, and as mentioned above they would start with all the necessary martial art tats.
Sureshot wrote:Listen you young whippersnappers in my day we had to walk for 15 no 30 miles to the nearest game barefoot both ways. We had real books not PDFS and we carried them on carts we pulled ourselves that we built by hand. We had Thaco and we were happy. If we needed dice we carved ours out of wood. Petrified wood just because we could.
Kryzbyn
Hero
Ronald Reagan

Unread post by Kryzbyn »

Greyaxe wrote:Im not entierly sure you can avoid the eastern martial arts flavor with the OCC you intend to design. These guys are mystical in nature and follow many ofthe same principles and practices as their brothers in the east. Perhpas instead of using CHI you could simply state that as atlanteans they focuse PPE in the development of martial art abilities, or create special tattoos only available to this class mimiking the effects of martial art abilities, that way they activate the tattoos to invoke their martial powers. Which would be very different form the Mystic China variants and retain the feel of the tattooed martial artist, What do you think? As for the reduction in Tattoos i think to maintain game balance because the starting MDC is so much higher than a slayer you should reduce the tattoos perhaps not by half maybe by four, and as mentioned above they would start with all the necessary martial art tats.

I'm trying to create a tattooed warrior thats focused on melee combat, not neccessarily a "martial artist". There are fighting styles that pre-date eastern martial arts, and this being the Atlanteans, pre-date eastern martial arts. This is why I was leaning more toward Greek/Spartan fighting styles cause Atlanteans speak Greek fluently, and influenced that culture with theirs, so I think its a better fit. I thought of making my own tattoos for this class, but that could just make the class "worse" for some. The tattoos that exist now are fine for what I envisioned, so I'll stick with those. And I don't see how the MDC is "so much higher". It's one dice higher. Undead slayers get 2d4x10. Mine gets 2d6x10. Thats only 1-20 more MDC. PPE is the same thing 2d6x10 for mine vs 2d4x10 for the undead slayer, but mine gets less PPE per tattoo than the undead slayer, so they start with more but get less in the long run. I'd like to know why this is so over powered, or what rule says the all the tat classes have to match. The T-man, maxi man and monster man all have different tat progressions, and they shouldn't count becasue they aren't atlantean, they are Splugorth slaves.

Kryzbyn
Hero
Ronald Reagan

Unread post by Kryzbyn »

Yes. Human and Ogre slaves of the Splugorth.
I'm talking about an Atlantean one.

Aramanthus
Monk

Unread post by Aramanthus »

It looks interesting. I'd have to generate one just to get a feel for it.
"Your Grace," she said, "I have only one question. Do you wish this man crippled or dead?"

"My Lady," the protector of Grayson told his Champion, "I do not wish him to leave this chamber alive."

"As you will it, your Grace."

HH....FIE
Kryzbyn
Hero
Ronald Reagan

Unread post by Kryzbyn »

yes one for true atlanteans only.

Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

My only problem is the bonuses. Higher physical bonuses than just about any other class in the game.

Why? these are melee guys. So are a bunch of other OCC's. But these are better. why? and not just, LOTS better.

Or rather, do you have a better answer than "I thought it would be cool"?
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
Kryzbyn
Hero
Ronald Reagan

Unread post by Kryzbyn »

Actually the physical bonuses are a result of not having played rifts for a while...I just got finished writing up a cyber-knight npc, and forgot how much physical skills bump up the stats. I'll lower them.

Actaully I think I'm gonna scrap this O.C.C.
Thanks for the objective and constructive criticism and not flaming me.

Oh wait...

Kryzbyn
Hero
Ronald Reagan

Unread post by Kryzbyn »

OK...how's this.
Change the name and background to reflect that this is a new caste of warrior meant to track down and destroy the Sunaj?

Would that be better?

Kryzbyn
Hero
Ronald Reagan

Unread post by Kryzbyn »

Nekira_Sudacne wrote:Or rather, do you have a better answer than "I thought it would be cool"?

Isn't that how most ideas for new O.C.C.'s start?

Nekira Sudacne
Monk

Kryzbyn wrote:
Nekira_Sudacne wrote:Or rather, do you have a better answer than "I thought it would be cool"?

Isn't that how most ideas for new O.C.C.'s start?

Yes. But it's not an excuse to arbitrarily make them the most powerful unless you have a better reason/background whatever.
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
Greyaxe
Champion

Unread post by Greyaxe »

I really think the OCC has merit and could be playable. The background of being created to combat the sunaj is great and I think if you compile the sussgestions here you will have a nice OCC.
Kryzbyn
Hero
Ronald Reagan

Unread post by Kryzbyn »

Prolly Sunaj Hunters...
kk I have to apologize to a few folks I guess...
I have read through a ton of rifts books and found several tattoo users that all have the same ppe/mdc. The only problem with this is that all the ones that match are Splugorth tattoo jobs not TA ones. The Undead Slayer is a bit higher, and mine is higher than the Undead Slayer. I will, however, bow to the consensus and lower the PPE/MDC to match the Undead Slayer
:(
I'm gonna re-post the class re-done as the Sunaj Hunter either later in this thread or in a new one, whichever ya'll think is best.

Nikoli
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Nikoli »

Quick question:
Given that the Sunaj have taken extreme measures to prevent the TA nation at large from finding out who they really are or that they even exist, how exactly did they develop a "Sunaj Hunter"?
"oh no, times almost up, enjoy space little rock!" - Prince Artemis
"Hello Mr. Shiney Pants!" - Major Victory
"So what you fetchin' to do with that there bazookie, young man?"
"Kreeghor hunting, officer, sir..." - Talismn
Kryzbyn
Hero
Ronald Reagan

Unread post by Kryzbyn »

Yeah that's what I was thinking.
The Splugorth and it's minions breate and mock the Sunaj openly in Atlantis, or wherever...its only a amtter of time that the wrong person hears it and puts 2 n 2 together.
Or at a botched assassination, a sunaj leaves behind a helmet. Someone elsewhere notices a group of folks wearing similar black armor, and puts 2 n 2 together.
I got the impression that the sunaj, while trying to keep everything secret, are extrememly arrogant. This will lead to mistakes.

Nekira Sudacne
Monk

Kryzbyn wrote:Prolly Sunaj Hunters...
kk I have to apologize to a few folks I guess...
I have read through a ton of rifts books and found several tattoo users that all have the same ppe/mdc. The only problem with this is that all the ones that match are Splugorth tattoo jobs not TA ones. The Undead Slayer is a bit higher, and mine is higher than the Undead Slayer. I will, however, bow to the consensus and lower the PPE/MDC to match the Undead Slayer
:(
I'm gonna re-post the class re-done as the Sunaj Hunter either later in this thread or in a new one, whichever ya'll think is best.

actually, my problem was NOT that they were more powerful than the undead slayer.

It's that you never fleshed out or even said WHAT makes them better.

They can have more MDC than a Cosmo Knight for all I care. They just better have a reason for being the best, draw contrasts, show WHAT makes them stronger.

Kryzbyn
Hero
Ronald Reagan

Unread post by Kryzbyn »

The monster hunter is an Atlantean? I missed that one.
Thanks for the input.
Nekira> I'll admit the backstory sucked, like I said it was 3 am when I wrote it up. I posted the "rough draft" looking to get input from others to help flesh it out/make it work, not get nit picked to death.
I would love to hear solutions/helps for all of the above.

Now...
Does the Sunaj Hunter concept work? Is it worth going ahead on? Should I keep what I have and just re-work it?

Kryzbyn
Hero
Ronald Reagan

Unread post by Kryzbyn »

If it will make you a happier being, then yes :)

That REALLY bugs you doesn't it? :lol:

OR OR OR I may do as Ms. Nekira suggested and just explain why they are better...
When/if I come up with one :-?
Last edited by Kryzbyn on Sun Nov 12, 2006 9:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nikoli
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Nikoli »

Well, they do all have tatts, at least 2 of them unless they were born in the Scrapers dimension.

Personally, I think I'll put together an OCC more akin the Psychic Warrior from Psyscape, that meshes better with TA philosophy since they helped create the training regimine. It also has a better flavor to me as a martial artist.
A whole race that gives every member they know of a sword should have a MA devoted to swordsmanship, akin to Zanjoriki but different in flavor.

I'll start cooking it up shortly.
"oh no, times almost up, enjoy space little rock!" - Prince Artemis
"Hello Mr. Shiney Pants!" - Major Victory
"So what you fetchin' to do with that there bazookie, young man?"
"Kreeghor hunting, officer, sir..." - Talismn
Kryzbyn
Hero
Ronald Reagan

Unread post by Kryzbyn »

Cool!

Kryzbyn
Hero
Ronald Reagan

Unread post by Kryzbyn »

The Book of Magic now has all magic tats published up to this point.

RockJock
Knight

Unread post by RockJock »

The BoM doesn't have the T-Archer tats unless I'm mistaken.

I think your original idea of a melee specialist Atlantean is great. It is hard to seperate them from the standard Undead Slayer who tends to excel at CQC. Their large MDC, strength and speed enhancements, and effective hand weapons make them hard to beat.

I have a couple of approaches for the kind of OCC you are looking for. The first is to stay close to the Undead Slayer. Make them a tattoo based class with the PPE and MDC per tattoo. Put the emphasis on weapon tats over the other categories. Give them a good selection of WP and physical skills. It might be worth looking at the Advanced WPs or Weapons Specializations in one of the Rifters. Give them a specialization in sword and spear, or whatever you want. In the alternative something like the WB: 8 version of Kendo as their advanced swordsmanship, and the fighting monk staff/spear fighting style for spears.

The second idea is to go with a HU Ancient Weapons Melee Specialist. Throw in 6 weapons tats, and maybe even a handful of psychics like TK Leap (make them a major pyschic) if they still need a boost. This version is just a fighter, and not all that powerful.

Another approach is to go the eastern route. There are several ways to go with this. Take a weapon based martial artist, the True or Ronin Samuri, Warrior Monk, or weapon based martial artist from China, or N&SS. Give them the 2-6 tattoos, but focus on the mystic martial arts abilities of the specific classes.

I could actually see multiple variations working as examples from different clans. Maybe other varieties of dragons brought these skills with them? Some dragons do know mystical martial arts abilities. If you want more power, take the Ancient Weapons Master, or even one of the other MA Masters and give them the full tatt work up. Even if you cut out MDC granting martial arts abilities there are still lots of mental powers to work with.
RockJock, holder of the mighty Rune Rock Hammer!
RockJock
Knight

Maybe this is closer to what you are looking for. Sorry for the rambling post last night. I was up way to late. I know you are not looking for a Eastern Martial Artist, but you in a lot of ways that is a matter of flavor, not substance.

I know you wanted the sword and spear to be mainline weapons. Try this out. Take a True Atlantean and make him a Ronin Samuri from WB8. This keeps him from being technophobic in his skills, but also ensures he replies on cold steel most of the time, or in this case flaming swords. I think it isn't insane to trade away the Samuri Horsemanship and Archery and pick up Jodo, the way of the staff, which also covers spears from the Sohei Fighting Monk in the same book. Now all you need is tattoos. You can make the character a minor or major psychic if you want to add something thing Summon Inner Strength, TK leap ect. For tattoos, the Marks of Heritage, and some combination of the following depending on the exact flavor for the character, and their level. Flaming Spear, Two Crossed Swords, Two Crossed Spears, Knight in Armor, Invulnerability, Supernatural Speed, or Supernatural PS. It would make sense to pick either the sword of the spear as the primary weapon, add in either the Knight or Invulnerability to provide protection and you are set.

You can always take this another step and make the character MDC following the guidelines for the Undead Slayer. Just give them lots of SDC and MDC weapons and add ons for combat. You will have a very powerful fighter, but in line with the T-Archer being a tattooed Long Bowmen.
Kryzbyn
Hero
Ronald Reagan

Unread post by Kryzbyn »

Wow Rockjock those are all really good ideas!
That was the kind of feedback I was looking for.
I'll take a look in wb8 and see what I can come up with.

RockJock
Knight

With most Occs their are several things to look at. The skill mix is the first. The next is sort of upgrades and add-ons. Things like cybernetics and bionics, juicer, MDC tattoo conversion ect. The last is extras. Things like 1-6 tattoos, minor cybernetics, minor psychics and other things that are a take it or leave it item.

Most of the T-Men classes work just like a borg. Your skills are nothing special. They aren't much different then any of the basic warrior types. The Undead Slayer puts emphasis on demon/vampire hunting, other tend to be a little more well rounded. What you are looking at with the T-Archer is a more specialized class based on the Longbowmen with tattoos, so why not an Samuri done the same way? The trade for the spear fighting isn't that unbalancing, and you still have the option of leaving them with a handful of tattoos, or the full MDC route. On another note, the Samurai/Ronin has greater then average PPE so they can make use of the minor tattoos without as big a problem.

Some will still think it is too powerful, but it is at least closely based on pre-existing Occs. You could come close with using the standard Ronin without changes, just the add on tattoos.
Kryzbyn
Hero
Ronald Reagan

Unread post by Kryzbyn »

It all depends on which direction I go with it.
For a front-ine melee fighter, I'd go with the Zanji.
For the Sunaj Hunter, I'd go with ninjutsu/taijutsu, a little weaker on the martial arts, but better skill access to track and get espionage skills n such.

RockJock
Knight

The sneaky spy type is going to be difficult. I need to take a look at the Monster Shaper skill set, but I would think they would be a very good hunter, since they can hide what they are. You might think of looking at the Super Spy, or even the Combat Mage in the Merc Adventure book. I'm not sold on the Mystic Ninja being a good base. I would actually think a non tattoo based class would be better at blending in and hiding from the Sunaj. There are tons of espionage classes to look at. Everything from the Russian Smoke Solider, to the Brutal Killer Head Hunter. The Mystic Ninja has a lot of OCC specific bonuses, skills, and powers, so it will be a bigger job to change.
RockJock
Knight

I tend to agree with Dark Max. A TA with 1-6 tats and a specific Occ without being a T-Man class works well.
Kryzbyn
Hero
Ronald Reagan

Unread post by Kryzbyn »

True..I cooked up a TA Cyber Knight NPC for a game im runnin.
His 6 tats makes all the difference, plus the new anti-tech stuff is nice.

Kryzbyn
Hero
Ronald Reagan

Unread post by Kryzbyn »

He's got his marks of heritage, then SN strength tat, Knight in armor tat, invulnerability tat, and increased speed tat.
He is now a tank in the truest sense of the word, if/when he uses his tats.

Kryzbyn
Hero
Ronald Reagan

Unread post by Kryzbyn »

nah not too many. TA's get up to 6 for just breathing...

RockJock
Knight

The 2-6 tattoos for non mage classes, even Cyber Knights is not that useful because of the huge PPE cost.
Kryzbyn
Hero
Ronald Reagan

Unread post by Kryzbyn »

Mine has 123 PPE. Not much, but enough.

RockJock
Knight

How do you get 123 PPE out of a Cyber Knight? 6 tattoos is 36 PPE, 10 for being an Atlantean, and what 36 for being a CK? That is 82, what about the rest? I'm just curious. The only other thing I can think of is the PPE bonus in Arzno if you are raised with TW devices.
Kryzbyn
Hero
Ronald Reagan

Unread post by Kryzbyn »

Don't u always add in their PE stat? After all they physical skills its 40+

Return to “Rifts®: Dimension Books”