Would Robotech:UE be the place for social combat rules?

Whether it is a Veritech or a Valkyrie, Robotech or Macross II, Earth is in danger eitherway. Grab your mecha and fight the good fight.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

jgants
Wanderer

Would Robotech:UE be the place for social combat rules?

Unread post by jgants »

Thinking about the still-possible Rob:UE, I got to thinking. It seems to me a lot of the shows had a lot of social interaction, including influence over others.

A lot of other RPGs have been introducing "social combat" type systems recently. So I thought - maybe Rob:UE would be a good place for that kind of thing. Just like Nightbane (or was it Splicers?) was the origin of the perception rules in the Megaverse, Robotech could become the origin of social combat rules.

It wouldn't even have to be main rules or anything. Maybe optional rules that show up in the Rifter or something.

Any thoughts?
View my award-winning Rifts actual play thread on RPG.Net (campaign is now complete) here
I created some documents to help introduce new players to Rifts - PM me (with your email address) if you'd like a copy.
Jefffar
Supreme Being
Comment: Being a moderator doesn't mean I speak for Palladium Books. It just makes me the lifeguard at their pool.

Unread post by Jefffar »

As a GM I've always liked having to make players role play rather than roll play their way through social situations. I do know there are ways to get role playing within "social combat" rules, but I've never found them as fun as just forcing the players to try to convince my NPCs.

That being said, fi you notice, a high PB or MA grants you abilities to charm, impress or intimidate. Skills like anthropology, interrogation and seduction also have a strong social aspect.
Official Hero of the Megaverse

Dead Boy wrote:All hail Jefffar... King of the Mods

Co-Holder with Ice Dragon of the "Lando Calrissian" award for Smooth. - Novastar

Palladium Forums of the Megaverse Rules

If you need to contact Palladium Books for any reason, click here.
Lt Gargoyle
Champion
Comment: Well men if we're going to die, then let us die with honor.

Unread post by Lt Gargoyle »

while i think it could help a bit to move some of the games along, I agree with Jeffar on the role playing. It is a great way to develope the characters in ways dice will nevr do.
Well men if we are destine to die, let us die with honor

If all of your wishes are granted then many of your dreams will be destroyed.

The final form of a person character lies in their own hands

Jefffar
Supreme Being
Comment: Being a moderator doesn't mean I speak for Palladium Books. It just makes me the lifeguard at their pool.

Unread post by Jefffar »

Quester wrote:I think the rules could be useful as a way for the GM to figure out the interactions of his NPC's and help to keep them unique both in his mind and the players.

They may also be useful as a way for the GM to help map out future events that the players can influence.

My problem witht hat is if you go by the D&D rules, even if the approach is terribly horribly wrong, the PCs still havea chance of success (small one, but possible).

If a player pullls a bonehead move like complimenting the emporer on his daughter's bedroom proficiency before asking for the honour of leading a certain military expidition - I want the guy to have to scramble to avoid an encounter with the headsman, not have a slight chance of gettign what he wants.
Official Hero of the Megaverse

Dead Boy wrote:All hail Jefffar... King of the Mods

Co-Holder with Ice Dragon of the "Lando Calrissian" award for Smooth. - Novastar

Palladium Forums of the Megaverse Rules

If you need to contact Palladium Books for any reason, click here.
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

I am firmly against any and all social combat rules.

that's what roleplaying is for.

the MA and PB attributes should be kept in mind, but there should not be any formal system, it takes away from actually roleplaying.
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon

Return to “Robotech® - The Shadow Chronicles® - Macross II®”