Buchanan Motors

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Danger
Champion
Comment: The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done." - George Carlin

Buchanan Motors

Unread post by Danger »

This is the current project I'm working on for a Rifter article. Have a peek & let me know what you think.

La Cucaracha

AKA: The Cockroach

One of Buchanan Motors’ most popular models, this extremely cheap, compact & rugged ATV model has achieved status not only for being easily repaired, but also for its amphibious nature. Buchanan Motors sold a staggering 200 units in only the first few months of business. The vehicle gets its name from its 6-wheeled design combined with the twin, sweeping antenna on the front.

With a variety of accessories to add, it comes standard with a 20 gallon, durable plastic water container* and long range radio. It comes in a wide range of colors, including forest green, black, charcoal gray, light gray, white, red, & brown.

Vehicle Type: ATV Amphibious Transport
Crew: One pilot and can accommodate up to three passengers.
Maximum Speed: 100 mph (150 km) on land, 12.5 mph (20 km) on water
Engine: Combustion or Electric
Maximum Range: 300 miles (480 km)
Length: 10 feet (3.1 m)
Weight: 1195 lbs (543 kg)
MDC By Location:
Wheels (6): 5 each
Windshield: 5
Headlights (2): 2 each
Main Body: 25 (A carapace/cover can be added to enclose the vehicle, adding an additional 15 MDC for 5000 credits)
Black Market Cost: 12000 gasoline engine or 15000 for electric.

Load Capacity: 2200 lbs (1000 kg) Can tow up to an additional 1600 lbs (726 kg)

*Enough water for 4 passengers for 10 days, at 2 quarts per day. Halve this time for extreme heat. Weight of full container is approximately 167 lbs (76 kg).

La Cucaracha Grande

AKA: The Great Cockroach

A slightly upgraded version of the original. This model has eight wheels instead of the standard six, and lengthens the body to 12 feet to accommodate 2 more passengers (for a total of 6 including the pilot). The standard 20 gallon water tank is increased to 30 gallons.*

Length: 12 feet (3.6 m)
Weight: 1500 lbs (682 kg)

Black Market Cost: 14000 gasoline engine or 17000 electric

All other stats are unchanged.

*Increased water supply to include 6 passengers. Weight of full container is approximately 250 lbs (114 kg).
"Can you kill me?! With those feeble arms?!" - Ogami Itto
"Bodycount's in the house!" - Ice T
"The Great Destroyer is back again!" - Duo Maxwell
"It's mine you hear? Mine ALL MINE Get back in there. Down Down Down! Go Go Go! MINE MINE MINE!!!" --Daffy Duck
Nekira Sudacne wrote:Sorry, the Anime genre and the Furry genre don't usually mix, except where Catgirls are concerned :D
Omega6
D-Bee

Unread post by Omega6 »

I didn't realize it was open topped at first.

Why not give the "Grande" a little more M.D.C. (like Main Body: 30), since it is the bigger, upgraded model?

Also, where is this company located?
Thinyser
Knight
Comment: "Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that."
~George Carlin

Unread post by Thinyser »

I agree bump up the grande's main body MDC by 10.

Also you would want to list the fuel tank capicity in volume not just range (though palladium forgets to do this) so that the purchasers know that it can go "X" number of miles per gallon/liter.

A multifuel/electric hybred would be sweet too as it would about double the range because the electric motors can do all the slow speed and starts and stops and would also be great for sneaking up close to things (electric power is very quiet in comparison to combustion). While the abilitiy to use gas, ethonol, diesel, kerosene, and even cooking oil as fuel has major advantages to exploreres.
"We live in a world where people use severed plant genitals to express affection.
Rifts is really not much weirder than that." ~~Killer Cyborg

"If we let technical problems scare us away from doing anything, humanity would still be in the trees flinging poo at each other."~~Killer Cyborg

"Everything that breeds is a threat."~~Killer Cyborg
Danger
Champion
Comment: The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done." - George Carlin

Unread post by Danger »

Omega6 wrote:I didn't realize it was open topped at first.

Why not give the "Grande" a little more M.D.C. (like Main Body: 30), since it is the bigger, upgraded model?

Also, where is this company located?

Yep, it's open-topped. Sorry, I should probably state that in the general description. The design is generally based on those little 6-Wheeled ATVs that used to be popular in the 60's & 70's.

I had considered it. Since the stats are being compared with the Big Boss ATV out of the RMB, I'll have to check on that. As this is a 'cheap' vehicle, I didn't want anything too heinous in comparison. Thus, I thought the addition of 2 passengers & extra storage space would be benefit enough.

The tenative location for the company is The Colorado Baronies.
"It's mine you hear? Mine ALL MINE Get back in there. Down Down Down! Go Go Go! MINE MINE MINE!!!" --Daffy Duck
Nekira Sudacne wrote:Sorry, the Anime genre and the Furry genre don't usually mix, except where Catgirls are concerned :D
Danger
Champion

Unread post by Danger »

Thinyser wrote:I agree bump up the grande's main body MDC by 10.

Also you would want to list the fuel tank capicity in volume not just range (though palladium forgets to do this) so that the purchasers know that it can go "X" number of miles per gallon/liter.

A multifuel/electric hybred would be sweet too as it would about double the range because the electric motors can do all the slow speed and starts and stops and would also be great for sneaking up close to things (electric power is very quiet in comparison to combustion). While the abilitiy to use gas, ethonol, diesel, kerosene, and even cooking oil as fuel has major advantages to exploreres.

As above, I'd considered it, but I don't want the vehicle to step outside the 'cheap' range. I'll certainly look at it again.

This is something that (I believe) I had figured out at one point, but didn't think anyone else would care about. :D

A hybrid engine would be a good idea maybe for one of Buchanan Motor's other more expensive vehicles, but as this is supposed to essentially be their company's 'Yugo' (well, okay maybe not that cheap), I doubt I'll add that as an option.

Thanks for the feedback so far, guys!

Return to “Rifts®”