Bald Psi-Stalkers???

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Steve Dubya
Hero
Comment: Disingenuous mountebanks and their subliminal chicanery! A pox on them! - Homer Simpson

Bald Psi-Stalkers???

Unread post by Steve Dubya »

So, I just read (while looking for something else) that in Lone Star in mentions that Psi-Stalkers are bald. Does it give any further explanation for this? It seems that if this assumption was off the original artwork, there has been further artwork that gives them Psi-Stalkers hair (such as Sargon the Hunter from Mercenaries and the Psycho-Stalker bit from JU).
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

No, the origional artwork set it in stone.

same way the MOM implants are actually tottally inside, meaning crazys don't need the nobs on their head. however, again, due to the artwork RUE says that putting artifical nobs there is a "fad" for crazies.
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
Steve Dubya
Hero
Comment: Disingenuous mountebanks and their subliminal chicanery! A pox on them! - Homer Simpson

So then why the hair on the two noted Psi-Stalkers???
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

You know wrote:So then why the hair on the two noted Psi-Stalkers???

because the origional write up of psi-stalkers said they looked identical to humans with just slightly feral features.
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
Mech-Viper Prime
Palladin
Comment: Full of Love and C-4, give me a hug.

Unread post by Mech-Viper Prime »

bio-hair implant or grafts
Ravenwing wrote:"Killing Dbee's isn't murder, they aren't human, it's pest control!"

Zardoz wrote:You have been raised up from Brutality, to kill the Brutals who multiply, and are legion. To this end, Zardoz your God gave you the gift of the Gun. The Gun is good!
Steve Dubya
Hero

because the origional write up of psi-stalkers said they looked identical to humans with just slightly feral features.

This is what kills me. Despite the fact that IN THE TEXT they should look like everyone else, because a FEW artists had them bald they are now all officially bald.Do Techno-WIzards all now HAVE to start looking like 40's bomber pilots??

I am so very worried about getting any new books because of stuff like this - they keep saying to use common sense but then when writing the book all common sense flies out the window...
Slag
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer

Unread post by Slag »

The only "canon" hair I know of is the Ponytail Tribe, who wear fake ponytails glued to their scalps...
Fickt nicht mit der Raketemensch!

"I respect you. And unlike love, respect can't be bought" - Homer Simpson.
Nxla666
Champion

Unread post by Nxla666 »

As of RUE all psi-stalkers are bald any hair is an add-on.

Dont make much sense, but hey what the hell.
"You WILL believe that all people have an inherent right to follow their own path to enlightenment in the spiritual manner of their choice or we will burn you at the stake!!!"~Slag
hahaha NXLA for the win.-- Galactus Kid x2
Bah. Immortality and marriage are just 2 things that should never mix. Any kind of prolongued lifespan shouldn't be burdened with monogamy.- Alejandro
Knowledge is power, power corrupts, study hard, be evil.
Nxla666
Champion

Unread post by Nxla666 »

Misfit KotLD wrote:
You know wrote:

This is what kills me. Despite the fact that IN THE TEXT they should look like everyone else, because a FEW artists had them bald they are now all officially bald.Do Techno-WIzards all now HAVE to start looking like 40's bomber pilots??

I am so very worried about getting any new books because of stuff like this - they keep saying to use common sense but then when writing the book all common sense flies out the window...

Yes, TW's in fact do look like that now. Remember, Rifts is the single greatest collection of stereotypes in gaming.

Not entirely true, I have seen a game that includes more stereotypes.

Of course it was written by a white supremest group, but still. :-?
"You WILL believe that all people have an inherent right to follow their own path to enlightenment in the spiritual manner of their choice or we will burn you at the stake!!!"~Slag
Bah. Immortality and marriage are just 2 things that should never mix. Any kind of prolongued lifespan shouldn't be burdened with monogamy.- Alejandro
RoadWarriorFWaNK
Comment: on a death march

Re: Bald Psi-Stalkers???

Unread post by RoadWarriorFWaNK »

You know wrote: there has been further artwork that gives them Psi-Stalkers hair (such as Sargon the Hunter from Mercenaries and the Psycho-Stalker bit from JU).

those pictures are wrong. the artists were not paying attention. artwork is not canon.
RoadWarriorFWaNK

sometimes. more often than not, the books are written first, then artwork is done based on what is written.
Since it was mentioned in the very first Rifts book that Psi-Stalkers had no hair whatsoever, any artwork depicting them with hair (without an explanation like 'they stapled fake hair to their heads') is wrong.
Steve Dubya
Hero

RoadWarriorFWaNK wrote:
sometimes. more often than not, the books are written first, then artwork is done based on what is written.
Since it was mentioned in the very first Rifts book that Psi-Stalkers had no hair whatsoever, any artwork depicting them with hair (without an explanation like 'they stapled fake hair to their heads') is wrong.

Pages 104 and 105 of Rifts published in 1993 makes absolutely no mention of being bald. It does specifically state they can be humans, mutants, or d-bees and that the CS stalkers are completely human looking. Where does bald enter into that?

Exactly - EXACTLY!! Why oh why would you then want to change that?? I mean, maybe it is just me, but the stereotypical Psi-Stalker (like the ones in the VK book for that vampire killin' outfit) looks really, really dumb. If it is to look intimidating, guess what - most of these guys are going to have to wear helmets, so that effect is greatly lost...

So far now it is 50-50 that I "upgrade" to RUE - it sounded like there were some good changes, but stuff like this makes my head hurt...
"Things aren't what they used to be" is the rallying cry of small minds. When men say things used to be better, they invariably mean they were better for them, because they were young, and had all their hopes intact. The world is bound to look a darker place as you slide into the grave.
Best Served Cold, Joe Abercrombie
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Unread post by Killer Cyborg »

Misfit KotLD wrote:They seriously need a continuity editor. :x

They'll get one eventually, and then they'll have always had one.
Annual Best Poster of the Year Awards (2012)

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!
Prince Artemis
Voice of the Gateway
Comment: I love how people are quick to make demands, make spurious claims and then play the victim when you call them on it.
Location: North Sydney, Nova Scotia, CANADA. NOT Austrailia, CANADA.

Unread post by Prince Artemis »

it was mentioned a looong time ago that their bald, heck even the bionic's book said that they were bald. as for why? they're supposed to be a type of human mutant that arose after the comming after the rifts. I always attributed their hairlessness to the fact that there was likely a good deal of nuklear fallout in the wilds where the psi-stalkers arrouse and hair always loses to radiation.
Prince Artemis
Voice of the Gateway
Comment: I love how people are quick to make demands, make spurious claims and then play the victim when you call them on it.

sure, as long as you're willing to drop the bill not only for re-writing all the books but the bill for every players replacements ;) seriously though, you all seem to be complaining that they have MADE something continuity. usually you guys are complaining cause they won't make something continuity.
Last edited by Prince Artemis on Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Library Ogre
Comment: My comments do not necessarily represent the views of Palladium Books.

Unread post by Library Ogre »

Nekira Sudacne wrote:same way the MOM implants are actually tottally inside, meaning crazys don't need the nobs on their head. however, again, due to the artwork RUE says that putting artifical nobs there is a "fad" for crazies.

And this one really gets me.

So, all crazies want these big knobs on their head, because it shows they're crazies. They want them, even before they're crazies and therefore crazy?
-overproduced by Martin Hannett

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
Happiness is a long block list.
If you don't want to be vilified, don't act like a villain.
The Megaverse runs on vibes.
All Palladium Articles
Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
Prince Artemis
Voice of the Gateway

the blad psi-stalkers has been continuity i think since just after the main rifts book. merc's has a haired psi-stalker but that's because mercs followed racial standards/characteristics/canon about as well as a lemming.
Library Ogre
Comment: My comments do not necessarily represent the views of Palladium Books.

Unread post by Library Ogre »

Misfit KotLD wrote:
Prince Artemis wrote:the blad psi-stalkers has been continuity i think since just after the main rifts book. merc's has a haired psi-stalker but that's because mercs followed racial standards/characteristics/canon about as well as a lemming.

What standards exactly? Therein lies the problem. We get back to maintaining continuity.

Contiwhat now?
-overproduced by Martin Hannett

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
Happiness is a long block list.
If you don't want to be vilified, don't act like a villain.
The Megaverse runs on vibes.
All Palladium Articles
Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
grandmaster z0b
Champion

Unread post by grandmaster z0b »

The first mention of psi-stalkers being bald is the expanded psistalker OCC/RCC in Rifts: Lone Star. It says that they have no body hair anywhere. I don't mind the idea, but I may divide them into different sub-species. So there would be one sub-species of psi-stalker that is caucasian with no body hair, but others with different features. Are all psi-stalkers white (as almost all are in pictures) or can you have an asiatic or african decent psi-stalker?
The word "THAN" is important. Something is "better than" something else, not "better then", it's "rather than" not "rather then".
plata_knight
Wanderer
Comment: Extraordinary things are accomplished by ordinary people.

Unread post by plata_knight »

From what I've read, it doesn't actually say anywhere what their original "race" was apart from human. Since it says in several books that you can find psi-stalkers around the world, I would assume they have all sorts of ethnic physical characteristics.
Extraordinary things are accomplished by ordinary people.
Nxla666
Champion

Unread post by Nxla666 »

grandmaster z0b wrote:The first mention of psi-stalkers being bald is the expanded psistalker OCC/RCC in Rifts: Lone Star. It says that they have no body hair anywhere. I don't mind the idea, but I may divide them into different sub-species. So there would be one sub-species of psi-stalker that is caucasian with no body hair, but others with different features. Are all psi-stalkers white (as almost all are in pictures) or can you have an asiatic or african decent psi-stalker?

I recall it mentioning that they were (now) all albinos.
Josh Sinsapaugh
Comment: Carrying friends out of crowds and standing in the doorway looking like the Jack of Hearts since November 2008.

Unread post by Josh Sinsapaugh »

You know wrote:So then why the hair on the two noted Psi-Stalkers???

Because:

1. the Art in Mercenaries sucks.. Another character is described as having a long mustache...in his picture...no stache.

2. The art for the Psycho-Stalker was just a bad art pairing. I.e. someone went "We need a picture here, huh? Let's just slap this down." Doesn't look to be a Psi-Stalker to me...more like some kind of D-Bee, elf maybe?

~ Josh
Last edited by Josh Sinsapaugh on Wed Mar 22, 2006 10:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Josh Sinsapaugh
Comment: Carrying friends out of crowds and standing in the doorway looking like the Jack of Hearts since November 2008.

Unread post by Josh Sinsapaugh »

MrNexx wrote:
Nekira Sudacne wrote:same way the MOM implants are actually tottally inside, meaning crazys don't need the nobs on their head. however, again, due to the artwork RUE says that putting artifical nobs there is a "fad" for crazies.

So, all crazies want these big knobs on their head, because it shows they're crazies. They want them, even before they're crazies and therefore crazy?

Most want it...not all.

It is iconic of the augmentation, so most will want the nobs. Similar to how ley line walkers like to wear gas masks...they don't have to, they just like to.

~ Josh
Nxla666
Champion

Unread post by Nxla666 »

Misfit KotLD wrote:
Josh Sinsapaugh wrote:
MrNexx wrote:

Most want it...not all.

It is iconic of the augmentation, so most will want the nobs. Similar to how ley line walkers like to wear gas masks...they don't have to, they just like to.

~ Josh

Can you cite where it's stated LLW's wear gas masks in this manner? I can't recall reading it.

I dont know, quite a few posters here jumped all over the fact that LLWs always have the damn things plastered to their face when I brought up the topic of using tear gas against them. :lol:
Prince Artemis
Voice of the Gateway

first off, the books list the common styles for the different classes, specificially mages is because it's sort of a badge of office for most. heck, they even went so far to stat a ley line walker armor in RUE. it's just the idea that you can recognize bikers/jocks/military just by looking at what they wear. They don't all wear the EXACT same thing but they tend to dress in a very similar style.

secondly, if you read the crazy section in RUE it actually says that the internal implant is a new creation and that most old units were actually external and that there are even some chop shops that continue to use the knobbed versions due to lack of funds/availability. and besides, if you're going to flush your sanity down the drain wouldn't you want to be recognized for the super insane soldier that you've become?

as for the picture of the 'psycho stalker' the picture says nothing. If you're going by the image that is put next to the occ then per the original core book layout/picture ALL PSI STALKERS HAVE PYRO KINESIS! i don't know how many new people i had to tell that the picture next to the psi-stalker was ment for the burster on the previous page. also using that same logic ALL PICASO MAGIC FISH HAVE SKULL FACED SCALE DESIGNES AND LOOK NOTHING LIKE THEIR LISTED DESCRIPTION. that's just two examples i can think of. Continuity error? hardly. More like layout error.

Oh, also, for that psi-stalker in merc, it said that he rituallistically mutilated himself to make himself seem scarier and more demon like. So, since his bald albino-ness would automatically pin him as a psi-stalker wouldn't it make sense for him to get some cyber hair to help his image as a monster and not just another psi-stalker?
Steve Dubya
Hero

I just think that it is ridiculous that they had to go around and change the Psi-Stalker appearance from what it originally was:
Pages 104 and 105 of Rifts published in 1993 makes absolutely no mention of being bald. It does specifically state they can be humans, mutants, or d-bees and that the CS stalkers are completely human looking.

Now, the fact that (now) all Psi-Stalkers are officially hairless albinos makes it very difficult to say that this is anything other than a strictly human phenomena. Basically what this is telling me is that Psi-Stalkers are now an human evolutionary answer to all the random mystical craziness that is happening on Earth - which it very well might be.

But it wasn't originally intended to be like this. So many random changes for the sake of change...
"Things aren't what they used to be" is the rallying cry of small minds. When men say things used to be better, they invariably mean they were better for them, because they were young, and had all their hopes intact. The world is bound to look a darker place as you slide into the grave.
Steve Dubya
Hero

So, with the changes in the Psi-Stalker now, are they still considered to be human, or elven, or whatever race they might have come from or Psi-Stalkers and Psi-Stalkers and Psi-Stalkers alone?
Nxla666
Champion

Unread post by Nxla666 »

You know wrote:So, with the changes in the Psi-Stalker now, are they still considered to be human, or elven, or whatever race they might have come from or Psi-Stalkers and Psi-Stalkers and Psi-Stalkers alone?

They have (in RUE) their own set of stats, even going so far as to seperate wild and civilized ones.

To me that now marks them as a distinct species that is capable of mating with humans and ogres (yes and Sea Titans), but not other species like elves and dwarves.

*need pistol to temple emoticon*
RoadWarriorFWaNK

Misfit KotLD wrote:
RoadWarriorFWaNK wrote:sometimes. more often than not, the books are written first, then artwork is done based on what is written.

Pages 104 and 105 of Rifts published in 1993 makes absolutely no mention of being bald. It does specifically state they can be humans, mutants, or d-bees and that the CS stalkers are completely human looking. Where does bald enter into that?

So? it never said they were not bald. it says they look human, and many humans are completely bald. And in the pictures in that book (the one under the character description,and the poorly colored Larry McDougal later on) clearly depict psi-stalkers as bald with dark patches under their eyes; the way they are described in text in WB14. So there is no contradiction. There is elaboration.
And the art in Mercenaries is still bad and still wrong.
RoadWarriorFWaNK

Misfit KotLD wrote:
RoadWarriorFWaNK wrote:
Misfit KotLD wrote:
RoadWarriorFWaNK wrote:sometimes. more often than not, the books are written first, then artwork is done based on what is written.

So? it never said they were not bald. it says they look human, and many humans are completely bald. And in the pictures in that book (the one under the character description,and the poorly colored Larry McDougal later on) clearly depict psi-stalkers as bald with dark patches under their eyes; the way they are described in text in WB14. So there is no contradiction. There is elaboration.
And the art in Mercenaries is still bad and still wrong.

Completely human in appearance does not equate to all are completely hairless. That is your mistake. But have at it.

yet again, there is nothing in that book to suggest that they are not completely hairless. "completely human" could be taken many different ways. what about circus freaks? Does the bearded lady look "inhuman" to you? Odd, certainly. But inhuman?
RoadWarriorFWaNK

this isn't silly. this is SERIOUS BUSINESS. :eek:
Steve Dubya
Hero

The only race other then humans to have Psi-Stalkers as a mutant sub-species, that i've seen, is Amaki, and that says they have there own equivelant to Psi-Stalkers not actual Stalkers.

Pages 104 and 105 of Rifts published in 1993 makes absolutely no mention of being bald. It does specifically state they can be humans, mutants, or d-bees and that the CS stalkers are completely human looking.

So, which is actually taking precedence here in terms of what races the Psi-Stalker actually comes from? I think that it has been made clear that there are now some "appearance" issues with Psi-Stalkers - so would a dwarven or chengeling or elven or Atlantean (which apparently are human precursors, or so I have seen purported by Nekira) also be hairless and albino???
Vrykolas2k
Champion
Location: A snow-covered forest, littered with the bones of my slain enemies...

Unread post by Vrykolas2k »

Prince Artemis wrote:it was mentioned a looong time ago that their bald, heck even the bionic's book said that they were bald. as for why? they're supposed to be a type of human mutant that arose after the comming after the rifts. I always attributed their hairlessness to the fact that there was likely a good deal of nuklear fallout in the wilds where the psi-stalkers arrouse and hair always loses to radiation.

The bionics book is relatively new.
Eyes without life, maggot-ridden corpses, mountains of skulls... these are a few of my favourite things.

I am the first angel, loved once above all others...

Light a man a fire, and he's warm for a day; light a man on fire, and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Turning the other cheek just gets you slapped harder.

The Smiling Bandit (Strikes Again!! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha!)
Steve Dubya
Hero

the skin ispowder white with pink around lips and eyes whichare blue or gray so the can't be true albinoes eyes wpuold be pink/reddish

Another very good point. I always thought that the Psi-Stalkers depicted as bald and kinda' pasty was a fashion choice (sort of like the TW penchant for the bomber jackets) rather than the way they might actually look - and a DUMB fashion choice at that...
Omega6
D-Bee

Powder

Unread post by Omega6 »

Did you ever see the movie "Powder"? The character is a completely hairless albino with psycic powers. This is what I think of for Psi-stalkers.
Also, it could be said that the absorbtion of the P.P.E enegry is on a electromagnetic frequency that destroys hair folicles. So, they could have hair when first born, but after the first meal... (Electrolysis Hair Removal)
Steve Dubya
Hero

Did you ever see the movie "Powder"? The character is a completely hairless albino with psycic powers. This is what I think of for Psi-stalkers.

Sure, but the reason that he looked like that was because he was part alien.

Also, it could be said that the absorbtion of the P.P.E enegry is on a electromagnetic frequency that destroys hair folicles.

This is as good an explanation as any for that, I suppose. I don't like it (doesn't make much sense), but what the heck. Doesn't change the fact then they then look like badly made-up goths tho'...

Return to “Rifts®”