A cargo plane for civilian or adventurer use, VTOL too!

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

slade2501
Dungeon Crawler
Comment: For the baddies I shoot, and their bodies I loot; Oh RNJesus, you I salute!

A cargo plane for civilian or adventurer use, VTOL too!

Unread post by slade2501 »

I whipped this up after reading several articles on both aircraft and shipping history, so here you go.

GAW Improved XV-15
The designers at GAW examined the market, as saw a need for a reliable, easy to operate air cargo vehicle that could land in tight spaces without the use of a runway. Digging through their files, they discoverd the specs and plans for a pre-rifts aircraft with VTOL capabilities and good cargo capacity. Not only would it be easy to produce with their current technology, it also required a lot less material than their other ideas.
This aircraft can carry up to four tons of cargo, while its 500 mile range and ability to land in any open space large enough allow it to reach isolated communities with ease. It is not by any means combat ready, and shuold be accompanied by additional arial units when travelling through dangerous territory.

Model Type: GAW-XV-15 Improved VTOL
Class: Light cargo transport
Crew: 1-2, can seat 19 or carry cargo.

M.D.C. by location:
* Landing Gear/Tires (3) - 15 each
* Engines (2) - 25 each
* * Wings (2) - 40 each
* * Main Body/Fuselage - 90
Reinforced Pilot's Compartment - 25

* Items marked by a single asterisk are small and/or difficult to hit, requiring an attacker to make a Called Shot to hit with a penalty of -2 strike .
Destroyed landing gear will result in emergency landing rules.

The loss of a single engine will reduce maximum air speed
by 25% and impose a - 1 5% penalty to all piloting rolls (penalties are accumulative with each engine lost). Losing all four engines will cause the plane to crash.
* * Destroying one of the wings or depleting the M.D.C. of the main body will knock the aircraft out of the sky ! Roll under piloting skill -50% for a successful crash landing.

Speed:
Driving on the Ground: Not possible, taxi speed is 2 mph (3.2 km) on paved surfaces.
Flying: The engines of the GAW's XV-15 enable the plane to reach maximum flying speeds of 382 mph (615 km), even with a maximum load. Cruising speeds vary according to the situation but tend to be slow, usually 240 mph (384 km).
Maximum Altitude: The maximum altitude for the XV-25 is 29 ,000 feet (8800 m).
Range: 512 miles (824 km), due to its small fuel capacity.

Statistical Data:
Height:12 ft 8 in (3.86 m) over tail fins, 15 ft 4 in (5 m) with nacelles vertical
Width: 57 ft 2 in (17.42 m) overall with rotors turning
Length: 42 feet, 1 inches (4.67 m).
Weight: 9,570 lb (4,341 kg) empty, 13,000 lb (5,897 kg) fully loaded
Cargo: Internal cargo stowage of up to 4 tons of cargo or 8 people comfortably
Power System: Conventional jet engines, flex fuel compatible.
Cost: 1.2 million credits for a XV-15.
Weapon Systems: None, exclusively transport
taalismn
Priest

Re: A cargo plane for civilian or adventurer use, VTOL too!

Unread post by taalismn »

Okay, I like this, I've done tilt-rotors as well and have been surprised we haven't seen a GAW version(s) already. It's cheap, it's versatile, and it can carry an adventuring party without becoming a game breaker...and the GM can shoot it out from under them without much sentimental loss.

Only real criticism? 'X' in a designation typically means eXperimental, and I imagine thanks to the Osprey and Golden Age derivatives, tilt rotors are no longer considered experimental. 'C' for Cargo would be a better letter designation.
-------------
"Trouble rather the Tiger in his Lair,
Than the Sage among his Books,
For all the Empires and Kingdoms,
The Armies and Works that you hold Dear,
Are to him but the Playthings of the Moment,
To be turned over with the Flick of a Finger,
And the Turning of a Page"

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

also GAW equipment usually are commonly used designs that saw service with the military. the XV-15 was an experimental test bed with only 2 airframes built. (one of which was destroyed during testing, the other of which sits in the Smithsonian)

a better choice would have been the MV-22 osprey (or its CMV-22 navalized variant), or the US army's Bell V-280 Valor
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
taalismn
Priest

I'm rather fond of an earlier one, the https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canadair_CL-84_Dynavert
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
slade2501
Dungeon Crawler
Comment: For the baddies I shoot, and their bodies I loot; Oh RNJesus, you I salute!

I just might do the Osprey next, but I wanted a civi model first for small cargo running between kingdoms or even a pony mail service. Its also cheap and easy to operate, making it more available to players. It adds a measure of reality to the game, that while the cameras are on the players, life goes on even behind the scenes, and people need cheap, easy cargo transport. I felt that GAW would find the design, and use it to fill a need (for a reasonable price).
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Unread post by ShadowLogan »

I'm not sure if a Tilt-Rotor would be described as "cheap and easy to operate", especially in the environment of Rifts. I would think a helicopter would full-fill most of the needs outlined here (speed being the hardest to match).

That GAW could do it I suppose is possible, but there are so few XV-15s (only x2 were built and one crashed) built that they almost have to have access to the engineering plans to build and produce the vehicle. And then there would be the learning curve as they might have to relearn things about the design that might have been "lost" due to time.
taalismn
Priest

I'm assuming the Golden Age saw a perfection of the Tiltrotor concept, though it seems likely it was quickly superseded by ducted fan and other forms of directed thrust high performance hovercraft(like the Glitterboy transport, the DHT's predecessor, and the various craft that led to the Skyking and Australia's small flitters), becoming in essence a biplane compared to modern monowings and jets.
So using the XV-15 as a basis was not a great idea...just easy research.
A few variations with expanded size, capacity, avionics, and improved performance could reflect these later Golden Age-vintage commercial transports.

Here's another oldie with potential if you're looking for a basis on which to model a utility VTOL: the Dornier Do-31. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dornier_Do_31

Or how about this oldy(but goody)https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LTV_XC-142
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
ShadowLogan
Palladin

taalismn wrote:I'm assuming the Golden Age saw a perfection of the Tiltrotor concept, though it seems likely it was quickly superseded by ducted fan and other forms of directed thrust high performance hovercraft
I think I see the Tilt-Rotor/Wing technology as falling to the wayside before perfection/wide-spread-adoption due to the ducted fan/hovercraft technologies being adopted and "widely used" and essentially "leap frogging" them.

That you might find references (or even examples) I don't dispute, nor do I dispute the idea the XV-15 was a poor choice for the basis. I just wonder if there aren't helicopter designs (Compound, Co-Axial come to mind and these are supposed to allow higher speed flight) that haven't been touched in the books (aside from the Chinook in MercOps, all other helicopters AFAIK are the same basic design layout) that could be easier and simpler to implement/operate than a Tilt-R/W, especially given the reputation the V-22 has (not like the people of Rifts Earth would know of it but still).
slade2501
Dungeon Crawler

all excellent thoughts people, thank you! does anyone have stats for their own design?
Devjannz
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Devjannz »

I know it is not in a RIFTS book but the VC-33 (aka Mom's Kitchen) from the Macross books of the Robotech RPG would be a cool thing to bring in for this kind of thing. I used a salvaged one in a Robotech game recently so that my team could sneak into an area where Invid were present so that we would not attract them as it did not run on Protoculture. It was a lot of fun.
"Hurry, were running out of time!"

"Cannot run out of time. There is infinite time. You are finite; Zathras is finite; This....is wrong tool.

Susan Ivonnova and Zathras, Babylon 5 'War Without End'
slade2501
Dungeon Crawler

I had to google it, its from the 2nd edition of Robotech, I only have the old old books from the 90's. Looks like a cool design though.
taalismn
Priest

slade2501 wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 12:59 pm all excellent thoughts people, thank you! does anyone have stats for their own design?
You might regret this request....

Paladin Steel V-22 Osprey II Vertol Tiltrotor

“When I asked for air support you coulda warned me you were sending an Irregular unit; when those six jet-black tiltrotors came buzzing around the point, with the skull-and-crossbones emblazoned on ‘em, I thought I’d been sold out to the Jolly Rogers! Glad I didn’t use my remaining missiles for triple-A on them, because another few and those ex-slaves I was sheparding out woulda been back in their masters’ groping paws, not to mention me and my people as bonuses. But those marine raiders secured the beach, loaded up everybody, and we scrammed out just like that! My hat’s off to the eggbeater jocks; that was one smooth extraction!”

“Make sure your pilots are certified for both straight-wing and ‘copter flying before letting them behind the controls of an Osprey; even with modern fly-by-wire systems, the ‘sprey’s still a tricky and unforgiving bird in many ways; anybody more accustomed to jockeying a hoverbrick is likely to auger the props into the ground on a landing if they aren’t careful. And there’s a precious few seconds’ hiccup between regular forward flight and full hover where the tiltrotor can go into a full stall if the pilot loses their nerve and isn’t paying attention. Do your homework when adding a ‘sprey to your force, and do the classwork preparing your pilots so you can get the most out of your new ships.”

The V-22 Osprey Vertol is a design dating from pre-Rifts years. Introduced in the late 1980s by the Bell/Boeing company, the V-22 Tiltrotor was a then-radical design concept for an aircraft combining the best traits of helicopters and conventional fixed-wing prop-aircraft, namely hovering capability, speed, and fuel economy. The V-22 was a hybrid, a more-or-less conventional aircraft frame with tilting engine pods on its wings, that could swivel the oversized propellors between a vertical position for VTOL/hover performance, and a straight horizontal one, for conventional level flight. A large rear-opening cargo/passenger bay allowed for fast loading/unloading, while side hatches could be used for rappel-exits and winch recovery of personnel. The tilt-rotor combined the best of both worlds, at least on paper. Unfortunately, early development problems and project teething problems, combined with a scaling back of R&D defense budgets in the late 1990s, exacerbated by an appalling number of accidents, almost spelled the end of the tilt-rotor program, just as engineers were getting the bugs out. The Osprey, once touted as the ‘Huey of the Future’, was suspended from service after limited deployment, amid allegations of being a defense contract white elephant, and the in-service aircraft mothballed, pending decommissioning.
As military budgets again boomed with the ‘Golden Age’ of the mid-2000s, however, attention was again focused on the tilt-rotor, not as cutting age technology, but as conventional designs that could be built at lower cost as opposed to the more expensive, sophisticated, and spectacular designs emerging in robotics, bionics, and avionics. The tilt-rotor was quietly perfected and began to enter the world markets at last, but taking a backseat to the newer more efficient ducted fan designs sweeping the world militaries. However, the tilt-rotor, and the revised Osprey, were soon becoming as commonplace as the Huey and Blackhawk helicopters of earlier decades. The V-22 Osprey soon became a staple, an aerial pickup truck equivalent, of military, security and coastal patrol branches, and commercial models were quickly entering production for domestic civil aviation and export. As ‘infinite range’ cold-fusion nuclear-powered vectored thrust designs took to the skies during the Golden Age and grabbed the media limelight(as well as the big military contracts), the tilt-rotors and other conventional designs continued to carry the bulk of Humanity’s local aviation needs.
Thus, when the Rifts struck, the distribution of aircraft was such that many tilt-rotors survived, and, once the skies had cleared, soldiered on during the New Dark Ages. Inevitably, these pre-Rifts aircraft would break down and be forgotten, but enough aircraft and their maintenance databases survived that, once civilization began to find its feet again, a number of manufacturers would resurrect the design.
Golden Age Weaponsmiths(GAW) in particular has made a bundle selling reconditioned V-22s, and building a few new airframes per year, with other Black Market concerns quickly following suit with their own rebuilds and copies, varying in exact features and quality, but essentially all following the basic V-22 design.
Not surprisingly, a young Paladin Steel corporation, seeing the profit to be made from aircraft, saw the “common domain” Osprey design as a promising way to start their own fledging aviation division. They quickly acquired and reverse-engineered several tilt-rotors, then began producing their own. The initial models were little better or worse than those produced by GAW and the Black Market, but they gave PS invaluable experience in aircraft production and sales, paving the way for more ambitious projects. Though the market was already flush with V-22 copies, PS-manufactured versions quickly joined the market stables, with PS steadily lowering the price and offering upgrade packages and improved versions as their production capabilities expanded.
Paladin Steel produced the Osprey II for over twenty years before attention began to shift to other designs, such as fan-ducts and the new GraviMagnetic Resist systems. It is now considered an older design, growing long in the tooth, and the GNE military has shifted its Ospreys to ANG, Reservist, and Irregular units, with the Caribou II taking over many of the roles of the Osprey. The GNE Coast Guard still continues to use its V-22s in forward service.
Citing declining sales, PS East ceased production of the Osprey II, but manufacture has shifted to secondary and tertiary assembly lines in the Paladin Steel West, Canadian, and Lazlo enclaves, so it is unlikely the PS V-22 Osprey will disappear from PS sales lines any time soon.
Type: PS-V22 Osprey II
Class: Multirole VTOL Tilt-Rotor Transport Aircraft
Crew: 2+2-3 additional crew and 10-24 passengers/troops
MDC/Armor by Location:
Main Body 250
Reinforced Crew Compartment 50
Wings(2) 90 each
Engine Pods(2) 90 each
Rotor Groups(2, 3 blades each ) 60(20 each blade)
Tail 50
Height: 17 ft, 22 ft with rotors held vertically
Width:(Fuselage) 8 ft(9 ft at sponsons), (Wingspan) 46 ft
Rotor Diameter: 38 ft
Folded: 18 ft
Length: 57 ft, folded 62 ft
Weight: 62,000 lbs
Cargo: Rear cargo bay measures 24 ft long x 6 ft high x6 ft wide.
Can hold 5,700 lbs internally, and sling-carry 20,000 lbs in cargo net under the aircraft
Powerplant: Liquid Fuel(w/ 1,600 mile range), Fuel Cell Electric (w/1,800 mile range), or Nuclear Fusion w/ 10 year energy life
Speed: Hover to 350 MPH, maximum altitude 10,000 ft
Market Cost: 600,000 credits for liquid fuel, 900,000 credits for fuel cell electric, 6 million credits for nuclear
Systems of Note:
Standard Aircraft Systems, plus:
*Folding Frame Construction---Designed with Marine and Navy operations in mind, the V-22 Osprey could fold and swivel its wing for more compact stowage aboard ship.
*Underside Cargo Hooks
*Doorway Rescue Hoist---100 ft line, 400 lbs lift capacity.
*Cargo Bay Winch/Pulley System
*Spotlight/Searchlight(600 ft range)
*Environmental System(Provides basic air conditioning, filtration, and 36 hours of recycling/closed air life support)
*Running Lights
*Emergency Flotation Bags(deploy in water crash landings, and support the aircraft)
*Wing De-icers
*Radio: 300 mile range
*Radar---50 mile range
*Radar Detector

Weapons Systems: None standard, but the Osprey has provision for a chin/nose turret, and up to four underwing hardpoints:

1) (Optional) Chin Turret---The Osprey II can mount a powered chin-turret, slaved to an HUD helmet manned by either the pilot or the co-pilot. The nose turret has a 180-degree arc of fire, and is slaved to the gunner’s helmet-mounted retinal fire system, allowing the cannon to track as the gunner turns his head, and fire on what he sights in on. The turret can accommodate ONE of the following:

a)30mm Gatling---A copy of the main cannon mounted on the old IHA Iron Eagle; the weapon’s design was ‘donated’ by ex-patriate IHA employees after the fall of New Kenora to the CS. The IHA-30mm outfitted many early-model Osprey IIs
Range: 3,000 ft
Damage: 3d6 MD single shot, 2d6x10 MD per 20 rd burst
Rate of Fire: ECHH
Payload: 5,000 rds
Cost: 150,000 credits(initially; would later drop to 75,000 credits)

b) 30mm Chain Gun---Improved PS weapon.
Range: 9,500 ft
Damage:4d6 MD single rd, 1d6x10 MD two rd burst, 5d6x10 MD for a 5-rd burst!
Rate of Fire: Single shot ,two-round, or five-round burst
Payload: 150 rds
Cost: 100,000 credits

c) 12.7mm Multi-barrel Rail Gun
Range:4,000 ft
Damage:1d6x10 MD per 40 rd burst
Rate of Fire:EPCHH.
Payload: 4,000 rds per gun(100 bursts)

d)PS-XGECAL 50 “Ripkiller” ---A new weapon, based on the pre-Rifts .50 caliber GECAL 50 Six Barrel Machine Gun. This weapon fires high explosive shells(based on the Wellington Industries Heavy Explosive shells) over three miles, to devastating effect. In theory, the XGECAL 50 can fire off 8,000 rounds per minute(or 2,000 rounds a melee), but PS has limited the weapon to a maximum of 100 rounds per burst , and even that can shoot the magazines dry in one melee! Only a special coolant jacket, shock-absorbing stabilizer, and burst limiter prevent this weapon from tearing itself apart under maximum rate of fire, and keeps enough rounds on target to inflict maximum damage. The weapon also tears out its meter-long barrel linings faster than any other weapon in PS service(a cannon barrel is estimated to have a standard combat life of 4,000 shots).
Range: 19,000 ft!
Damage: 1d4 MD single shot, 1d4x10 MD per 12 shot burst(1 attack), 2d4x10 MD per 24 rd burst(2 attacks), 4d4x10 MD per 60 rd burst(3 attacks), 1d4x100 MD per 120 shot burst(takes ALL attacks that melee)
Payload: 1,200 round drum (10 full-melee bursts)
Cost: 110,000 credits

e) 40mm Automatic Grenade Launcher
Damage: (Fragmentation) 4d6 MD to 12 ft area single rd, 2d6x10 MD to 40 ft area per 10-round burst
(Armor Piercing)1d6x10 to 3 ft area single rd, 3d6x10 MD to 8 ft area per 10-round burst
Rate of Fire: EGCHH
Payload: 300 rds

f) Pulse Laser
Range: 4,000 ft
Damage: 1d4x10 MD per blast
Payload: 200 shot battery if conventionally powered, Effectively Unlimited if nuclear
Cost:: 80,000 credits

g) PS-44L Vulcan Laser ---Another ‘orphaned’ IHA weapon adopted by Paladin Steel, this is simply the IH-44L Vulcan Gatling Laser adapted for aerial use.
Range:4,000 ft
Damage:3d4x10 MD per rapid-fire pulse blast(1 attack)
Rate of Fire:Six times per melee
Payload:500 bursts battery, Unlimited nuclear
Cost:: 160,000 credits

2) (Optional)Underwing Hardpoints(1-4)---Each hardpoint can accommodate ONE of the following:
a) MicroMissiles---15mm format McMs
Range:
Pattern-1A 5,700 ft
Pattern-1B 6,000 ft
Pattern-1C 6,000 ft
Pattern-1D 7,000 ft
Pattern-1E 7,500 ft
Damage/Bonuses:
Pattern-1A---1d4 MD to 2 ft blast radius
Pattern-1B---1d6 MD to 5 ft blast radius
Pattern-1C---4d6 MD to 4 ft blast radius, or 1d4 MD to a 10 ft blast radius in fragmentation mode
Pattern-1D----6d6 MD to a 5 ft blast radius, or 2d6 MDC out to a 18 ft blast radius in fragmentation mode
Pattern-1E---1d4x10 MD to 3 ft blast radius
Bonuses:
Pattern-1A (None) Spin-Stabilized
Pattern-1B (None) Gyro-Compass Chip
Pattern-1C (+1 to strike, in addition to W.P. Heavy bonuses. The Pattern-1C can also be set to be a ‘beam rider’, following a laser illuminator ‘painted’ on the target for an extra +2 to strike. However, this requires expenditure of an extra attack per melee on the part of the gunner to keep the laser illuminator on target) Gyro-Compass Chip, Laser-Sensor Microchip, Radar Trigger Chip.
Pattern-1D (+2 to strike, in addition to W.P. Heavy bonuses. Like the Pattern-1C, the Pattern-1D can ‘beam-ride’...again, this requires the gunner to maintain target-lock at the cost of an additional APM, but the -1D is better able to remain on target if the lock is broken. Furthermore, the missile can be keyed to lock on to the laser illuminator of other gunners...done with a pre-determined key-chip...allowing squadmates to ‘paint’ targets for fellow soldiers with micro-missile launchers). Gyro-Compass Chip, Laser-Sensor Microchip, Radar Trigger Chip, Image Sensing Chip.
Pattern-1E(+4 to strike, in addition to W.P. Heavy bonuses, Same ‘beamrider’ capability as with Pattern-1D. ) Gyro-Compass Chip, Laser-Sensor Microchip, Radar Trigger Chip, Image Sensing Chip, Infra-Red Sensing Chip.
Rate of Fire: Volleys of 1-10
Payload: 25-shot box cassette
Cost: 10,000 credits
Pattern-1A 25 credits per McM
Pattern-1B 32 credits per McM
Pattern-1C 60 credits per McM
Pattern-1D 95 credits per McM
Pattern-1E 220 credits per McM

b) Mini-Missiles---19 -shot pod

c) Short Range Missiles---4 -shot pod

d) PS ‘Black Talon’ Light SAMs---PS’s ‘brilliant’ mini-missile.
Range: 3 miles
Damage: 3d4x10 MD to 40 ft blast radius
Rate of Fire: Volleys of 1,2,3, or 4(all)
Payload: 4
Bonus: +5 to strike, and gets TWO attempts to strike the target(agile enough to loop back on a target and try again)
Cost: 60 ,000 credits per launcher, 10,000 credits per missile

e)Heavy Hitter Anti-Armor Missiles---Laser-guided anti-armor missiles
Range: 1 mile(5,000 ft)
Damage: 2d4x10 MD
Rate of Fire: Volleys of 1,2,3,or 4
Payload: 4 shot pod per hardpoint
Bonus: +5 to strike ground targets(Aircraft are only +2 to strike)
Cost: 20,000 credits. 6,000 credits per missile

f)Medium Range Missiles---One per hard point

g) Harpoon III Anti-ShipMissiles---- Harpoon IIIs are medium-range, plasma-explosive, wave-skimming, “smart” missiles designed to close with an enemy vessel under effective radar coverage, then jink up and dive, so as to penetrate the thinner upper works armor, or else can be set to penetrate below the waterline armor belt.
Range: 40 miles
Damage: 2d6x10 MD to 40 ft blast radius
Bonuses: +5 to strike
Cost:(Surface/air launched): 18,000 credits

h)Torpedoes/Depth Charges---- 6 Mini-Torpedoes OR 4 Short-Range Torpedoes/Light Depth Charges OR 2 Medium Torpedoes OR 1 Heavy Torpedo/Depth Charge per hardpoint

i) Bombs---Can carry warhead equivalents of missiles, but DOUBLE the respective number, or retain the same number, and DOUBLE the damage. Note: Can be fitted with ‘smart’ guided munitions. ‘Smart’ Bombs are laser or command-guided and hit large stationary targets automatically! Moving vehicles can also be targeted (at +6 to strike).
Or; can carry up to 1,000 lbs of bombs per hardpoint;
*250-lb Bomb----2d4x10 MD to 50 ft blast radius
*500-lb Bomb----4d4x10 MD to 60 ft blast radius
*750-lb Bomb----4d6x10 MD to 65 ft blast radius
*1,000-lb Bomb----1d4x100 MD to 70 ft blast radius

j)Sprayer Pod---This liquid storage pod deploys two diffusers from the back to spray chemicals from the back. This is typically used to control agricultural pests(if the infestation is too great, the ‘copter crew typically fires the affected field), crowd control, firefighting, or other vermin management roles.
Range: Depending on wind and altitude, the helicopter can spray a 100 foot wide swath at maximum dispersal.
Damage: Varies by chemical type. If using water, typically does 4d6 HP to vampires(‘Bless the tank, Holy Father!”).
Payload: 100 gallons
Cost: 10,000 credits

k)Flare/Chaff Launcher Pod
Range: Close Defense
Damage: None; similar to Triax-style chaff
01-50 Enemy Missile or volley detonates in chaff and threat is neutralized
51-75 Missile/Volley diverts and may pursue/lock on to other targets
76-00 No Effect! Missile(s) still on target!
Will also temporarily blind and impede flying monsters who fly into it.
Reduce APMs/combat bonuses/ speed by half for 1d4 melees
Payload: 20 per launcher

l) ECM/Radar Jammer Pod---5 mile range. Jams radars and radar targeting systems with 60% effectiveness. Radar-guided weapons are -6 to strike. Note that this affects friendly systems as well unless they are set to specific, per-arranged, non-jammed frequencies(that it may be possible for the enemy to discover). Carrying extra jammer pods does NOT increase the range or effective bonuses of the system, but may provide redundancy and multi-wavelength coverage.
Cost:50,000 credits

m) PS-XMG Gatling Cannon----A six-barreled gatling cannon, firing a modified WI-23 5.56mm Explosive cartridge. The PS Gatlings trade damage potential per individual round for burst capability and better range using the better cartridge propellants and longer barrels. Mechanical design modeled after the pre-Rifts XM-214 ‘Six-Pak’ Mini-Gun. Excellent range, but low damage, and a tendency to empty the ammo drum, and wear out the barrels, too quickly in heated combat.
For monster hunting, this weapon can also be used to fire silver-plated bullets, each doing HP to vampires and werebeings.
Range: 13,000 ft
Damage:(5.56mm Explosive) 2d4x10 SDC SDC per single shot, 1d6 MD per 10-shot burst, 2d6 MD per 20-shot burst, and 1d6x10 MD per 100-shot burst(counts as TWO attacks),
Payload: 40,000 rd(400 bursts) drum standard

n) 12.7mm Rapid Fire Gatling Cannon(2)--- Rapid-fire multi-barrel railguns, the same as installed on PS’s PSA-12 power armors. These weapons have an advantage over the lasers in that they deliver more kinetic punch, and thus are more effective against targets that are resistant to energy weapons.
Range:4000 ft
Damage:1d6x10 MD per 40 rd burst
2d6x10 MD for a simultaneous double burst from both guns.
Rate of Fire:EPCHH. Can only fire bursts.
Payload: 2,400 rds per gun(80 bursts)

o) Light Autocannon---The 20mm Taskin Rifle, mounted in a vehicle pod
Damage:(20mm) 1d4 MD single shot
4d6 MD per 5 rd burst
1d4x10+4 MD per 10 rd burst
(Super-HEX) 4d4 MD single shot
1d6x10 MD per 5 rd burst
2d6x10 MD per 10 rd burst
(Wood Rounds) 6d6 SDC single shot (1d4x10 HP to vampires)
2d4x10 SDC MD per 5 rd burst (2d4x10 HP to vampires)
6d6 MD per 10 rd burst (3d6x10 HP to vampires)
(Crowd Control rds)humans and human-sized D-Bees must roll a D20 to maintain their footing (must equal or surpass the attacker's roll to strike...Full rules in TNW p.174)
Payload:500 rd magazine
Cost: 20,000 credits

p) 30mm AutoCannon
Range: 9,500 ft
Damage:4d6 MD single rd, 1d6x10 MD two rd burst, 5d6x10 MD for a 5-rd burst!
Rate of Fire: Single shot ,two-round, or five-round burst
Payload: 150 rds

q) Light Gunpod----Light Rail Gun---A copy of the Coalition’s own C-200 ‘Dead Man’ rail gun.
Range: 4,000 ft
Damage: 1d4 MD single rd, 4d6 MD per 20 rd burst
Payload:400 rd drum(20 bursts)

r)IH-100 Rail Gun (PS-100)
Weight: 300 lbs
Range: 4000 ft
Damage: 1d4 MD single rd, 1d6x10 MD 60 rd burst
Rate of Fire:EPCHH
Payload:12,000 rd drum(200 bursts)
Cost: 80,000 credits

s)KTH-65 32mm Assault Rail Gun (Raven)(2, Sponson-mounted)----Designed with the needs of a heavy infantry squad in mind, Kera-Tech Industries developed the KTH-65 for long range combat in both atmosphere and in space. the KTH-65 can penetrate most any known armour with ease with a high-velocity burst. With the enhanced capability of variable rounds, numerous different combat roles can be filled by the KTH-65. The weapon is also manufactured under license by Paladin Steel on the East Coast.
Range: 5,500 ft
Damage: Varies by shell type
Shell Types:
APFS-DU (Armour Piercing Fin Stabilized, Depleted Uranium) - 5D6x10, no
blast radius
HESH (High Explosive Squash Head) - 5D6 MD plus 5D6 SDC to the person(s) inside the object.
HE (High Explosive) 1D6x10 to a 5 (16ft) radius
HEG (High Explosive, Guided) - 2D6x10 to a 2m (7ft) radius
Rate of Fire: single shots, ECHH
Payload: 60 rds each
Cost: 120,000 credits

3) (Optional) Door-Mounted Guns---The side doors and rear ramp can be fitted with pintle mounts for crew-served weapons up to heavy infantry weapons/rail guns/rapid-fire miniguns.

Options:
*Nose-Mounted Sensor Turret ----Adds a dedicated sensor turret with the following:
*Telescopic Optics
*Enhanced Thermo-imaging/Nightvision
*Laser Targeting
*Parabolic Microphone
*Laser Illuminator---’Paints’ targets for attack with laser-guided weaponry. Effective range of 3 miles.
Cost: 200,000 credits

*Nose-Mounted Extended Range Search Radar---Intended for naval aircraft, this look-down radar has enhanced software for differentiating between possible targets and surface clutter. Effective range of 50 miles

*Chin-Mounted Turret----Chin-mounted weapons turret.
Cost: 90,000 credits

*Pontoon Landing Gear---This converts the V-22 into a float-plane with two large pontoons affixed under it. The extra drag reduces the aircraft’s speed by 15%, but allows the aircraft to operate directly from water.
MDC of Pontoons(2): 60 each
Cost: 80,000 credits

*Solar Wing---The dorsal surface of the aircraft is fitted with solar panels, and the powerplants supplanted/complemented with a Super-Solar Power System. The large wing surface area of the Skimmer is particularly well-suited for photovoltaic enhancement, as it allows for substantial energy-gathering. Switching over to the electric power system drops maximum speed to 155 MPH. Flying in broad daylight, mostly unobstructed sunlight gives the batteries an 8-hour charge; cloudy and overcast days cut available power to 4 hours.
Cost: 300,000 credits

*Hush Props---These specialized propellors look like multi-vaned pinwheel spinners, but they reduce the airplane’s prop noise by some 50%. They are popular with operators making night landings and supply drops, who want to reduce the chances of advertising their presence.

*Drop Tanks(2)(For Liquid Fuel models only)---Heavy (45 MDC each) external fuel tanks can be added to the wings of the Osprey II. Each drop tank holds 450 gallons of fuel, and adds 220 miles to range. Can be detached/ejected from the aircraft at any time.
Cost: 50,000 credits each

*Flare/Chaff Launchers--The V-22 can mount flare and chaff dispensers to counter enemy sensors and missiles. Up to four(4) launchers can be mounted; two in the tail and one on each wing.
Cost: Basic Launcher Unit costs 2,000 credits. Flare/Chaff bundles cost 120 credits each

Variants:
* PS-V22 Osprey IID----An up-armored version using more advanced materials for better protection. It is used by the GNE Marines.
Main Body 350
Reinforced Crew Compartment 80
Wings(2) 120 each
Engine Pods(2) 130 each
Rotor Groups(2, 3 blades each ) 90(30 each blade)
Tail 60
Cost: +3 million credits

*PS-SV22(X)---An experimental version using Gorang-style grav-prop propulsion units, generating a forcefield around the aircraft, as well as giving it full aerospace capabilities(though it is not known if the PS-SV22(X) has yet been tested in space. The below stats are hypothesized based on available data about Gorang-style GPP systems). Other details about the aircraft remain unknown.
The primary advantage, besides aerospace operations, of this configuration would include the ability to generate a forcefield that would shield the aircraft while engaged in hovering and landing, from all sides except directly below.
MDC/Armor by Location:
Forcefield (300 front, 150 each side/top-bottom in conventional flight, or 300 top, 150 sides in hovering flight)
Speed:(Atmosphere) 490 MPH
(Space) 4,900 MPH (Roughly Mach 6.5 ) Maximum Speed 40% of Light
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
taalismn
Priest

Have a C-130/2 with tilt-wing as well....

Paladin Steel C-130/2 Hercules II Air Transport
(aka ‘Herky-Bird’, ‘Dumbo’, ‘Herc’, ‘Tilt-o--Whirl’)

“It’s not the fastest, it’s not the sleekest, it’s not the best armed, or the best armored, it’s not
particularly pretty, or anywhere stealthy...but IT GETS THE JOB DONE. For that, in my heart and
mind, it soars like an eagle.”
---Captain Malaci Asro, Greater New England Air National Guard

“I’ve run the gauntlet of Skycycles, SAMAS, and rocket-bikes to deliver arms to Kingsdale, I’ve
helped swipe pre-Rifts techno-secrets from military sites out West and played hide and seek
among the mesas with Coalition stealth fighters, I’ve evacuated refugees from burning Tolkeen,
I’ve watched Coalition Navy maneuvers on the Old Texas coast, I’ve dropped SEALs off the coast of
CS Iron Heart in the dark of night, I’ve traded fire with CS anti-aircraft batteries in the Ohio, and
I’ve nearly buzz-cut the aerials off a CS destroyer off the coast of Newfoundland in the fog....I’ve
been all around the Coalition States in a Herky-Bird, and it’s been a real ride.”
---Chief Warrant Officer Dozo Uni, Greater New England Air National Guard, 7th Airborne Logistical
Transport Company.

“What did that big guy say when he got off the plane? The whole trip I though he was going to
break loose and start tearing things apart, especially when those Splugorth fliers jumped us over
the Pyrenees...But he quieted right down after some the hairest flying I’ve had to do a long
time....I was sure he was going to give us all sorts of flak and grief, what with the banging we took
from those Kittani skyrats..”
“I was next to him...he put his hand on the plane and said something that sounded like either
Atlantian or Greek; something about “I bless this creation that bears my name”, and just walked
off.”
“Weird, man, weird...”
---Overheard at the Paladin Steel freight terminal at Farnborough Field, Kingdom of Bath, England.

The C-130 Hercules was introduced in 1954, pre-Rifts, to meet a requirement for the American
Empire’s USAF Tactical Air Command, which was looking for a heavy airlift transport that could
carry heavy loads long distance, under virtually all weather conditions, reliably. A virtual revolution
in aircraft design, the original C-130 surprised even its own designers, with the sturdiness and
adaptability of its basic design. The Hercules proved that it could be modified to keep abreast of
technological advances, or even prove more reliable, efficient, and economical without them. As a
result, the Hercules managed to outlive a large number of ‘Hercules replacement’ aircraft
developed over the years, rendering _them_ obsolete! The C-130 soon spawned a wide variety of
formal model variations(over 60!) plus numerous individual modifications and refits for the various
military , commercial, and foreign users who acquired C-130s. The basic C-130 design became so
widespread and renowned that at the time of the Coming of the Rifts, nearly a hundred years after
its introduction, the 130 was still common and in operation around the world.
The Coming of the Rifts destroyed most of the world’s heavy airlift capability, and the reason for
it, leaving heavy air transport capability in the hands of a few surviving/newly emergent
superpowers like the NGR and the Coalition States. However, as the kingdoms of the New Earth
grow more diverse and powerful, and both military and commercial frontiers expand, the need for
reliable heavy airlift capability has returned, and a number of companies have risen to fill the gap.
Paladin Steel is one of those companies, and has chosen to resurrect the old C-130 ‘Herky Bird’,
revamping the design to better survive in the post-apocalyptic world. Looking long and hard at the
opening market and its requirements, Paladin Steel has radically modified the Hercules while still
retaining the sturdiness and reliability that have become legendary.
Recognizing (as had other post-Rifts designers) that prepared hard-top airfields, and even cleared
dirt strips, are a thing of the past, Paladin Steel chose to give the new C-130/2 full VTOL
capability. Banking on their previous experience producing copies of the VC-22S Osprey Vertol, the
engineers at PS have given the Hercules II a tilt-wing, similar to the LTV-Hiller-Ryan XC-142A
turboprop vertol testbed. PS also employed lightweight MDC composites and metal alloys to armor
and reinforce the Hercules II in protection comparable, if not superior, to most other heavy air
vehicles of the New Age. Another addition is the manned gunnery position in the tail(inspired,
perhaps, by a similar design feature in the Hercules’ Soviet Cold War-era opposite numbers).
Paladin Steel also has seen fit to offer a choice of upgraded liquid-fuel turbo-prop engines, or a
fusion nuclear powerplant, fo more efficient, reliable operation.
The basic C-130/2 aircraft comes unarmed, but PS expects most users will want to add additional
equipment and weapons systems, and offers a few options along those lines. Paladin Steel has even
begun offering a few major variants, including its AC-130/2E Gunship(see below).
Paladin Steel initially produced C-130/2s at its Lake Champlain facility, but has since opened
production lines at Paladin Steel West, and Lazlo. There has also been some talk of licensing the
design to the New Roman Republic, with both troop carrier and maritime patrol versions under
consideration.
Since the C-130/2’s introduction, it has been enthusiastically received, and Paladin Steel has made
a hefty bundle selling the aircraft to the open market. PS’s fleet of green-liveried transports has
also become a common and welcome sight to PS customers, the aircraft delivering loads of gear
and munitions(and sometimes delivering themselves, maintenance equipment, and spare parts to
new C-130/2 operators). The air freighters have become fairly ubiquitous throughout GNE
territory, being in the service of the military(all services), corporate, and commercial sectors, to
the point that it’s been joked that the ‘Herky’ is the national bird of Greater New England. Though
faster and more advanced transports, such as GMR-propelled/levitated craft, have since become
available, the C-130/2 continues in production and demand.

Here’s a few pre-Rifts variants for inspiration: Paladin Steel will gladly modify its basic C-130/2 to
meet the customer’s specific request(provided they put money up front).
HC-130B SAR aircraft
RC-130 Photo-survey aircraft
C-130G Communications Relay aircraft
KC-130H, AC-130H, HC-130H, HC-130P, KC-130R Tankers
LC-130R Antarctic Supply aircraft(fitted with skies)
M-130E Missile Carrier
WC-130E Weather Reconnaissance aircraft
EC-130ARE AWACS-style EW aircraft
DC-130A Drone Carrier(carried 4 Ryan Firebee RPV targets under the wings, and the control systems
to direct them)
C-130K RAF version built/rebuilt in England
Note: Early designers also experimented with a sea-plane conversion (in RC model form) of the C-
130, to give you some idea of the potential spin-off design potentials.
Type: PS-C-130/2
Class: Airlift Transport and Airborne Multi-Role Platform
Crew: 5(pilot, co-pilot, radioman, and two flight engineers/cargo handlers)
Passengers: 128 troops OR 50 powered armor OR 93 patients on stretchers plus 6 attendants/sitting
wounded.
MDC/Armor by Location:
Main Body 400
Wings(2) 180 each
Turboprop Engines(4) 120 each
Tail Assembly 190
Rear Cargo Door/Ramp 120
(Optional) Wing Tanks(2) 80 each
Height: 38 ft
Width: 133 ft
Length: 98 ft
Weight: 175,000 lbs
Cargo: 43,000 lbs, in a cargo bay 10 ft wide by 9 ft high, by 50 ft long.
Powerplant: Liquid Fuel (2,500 mile range) or Nuclear Fusion w/ 15-year energy life.
Speed:(VTOL Mode) Hover to 100 MPH, max altitude of 7,000 ft
(Flight Mode) 370 MPH, max altitude of 33,000 ft

Market Cost: Liquid Fuel 4 million credits, nuclear 10 million credits.
Systems of Note:
Standard Aircraft Systems, plus:
*All Weather Performance
*Emergency Flotation Units(can keep the aircraft afloat for 2d4x10 hours)
*Cockpit Emergency Ejection Seats(4)
*Toilet
*Rear Cargo Ramp/Door
*Internal Cargo Bay Winch and Roller/Conveyor Assembly
*Cabin Environmental/Radiation Shielding and Thermo-Insulation
*Internal Fire Control System/Fire Extinguishers
*External Running Lights
*Wing De-icers
*Water Cooler and small refrigerator(2ftx1 ftx1ft)
*Air Condition/Internal Environment Control w/ air filtration, 48 hours recycling/life support
capability, and cabin pressurization.
*Radio: 200 mile range w/ frequency-jumping and basic scrambling
*Low-Light Vision Enhancement
*Radar: 100 mile range, track/ID 25 targets.
*All-terrain Wheeled Landing Gear

Weapons Systems: None standard

Options:
The following are a few of the more common options available from Paladin Steel:

*Flare/Chaff Launchers--The Hercules II can mount flare and chaff dispensers to counter enemy
sensors and missiles. Up to eight(8 ) launchers can be mounted; two in the tail, two in the wing
roots, one on each wing, and one on each wheel sponson.
Cost: Basic Launcher Unit costs 2,000 credits. Flare/Chaff bundles cost 120 credits each

*Tail Gun Position-A tail gun mount can be fitted above the rear cargo door/ramp. The tail gun
position can either be manned or controlled by remote control, and fitted with a rail gun,
autocannon, or energy weapon(or paired weapons) as required/specified/installed by the
buyer(weapons cost extra)
MDC of Tail Mount: 60
Cost: 50,000 credits for manned position(access way has to be provided from the main cabin),
70,000 credits for remote control.

*Drop Tanks(2)(For Liquid Fuel models only)
Two 80 MDC heavy external fuel tanks can be added to the wings of the C-130/2. Each holds nearly
1,000 gallons of fuel, and each extends the range/flight time of the aircraft by 1/3(600 miles)
Cost: 50,000 credits each

*Hush Props---These specialized propellors look like multi-vaned pinwheel spinners, but they reduce
the airplane’s prop noise by some 50%. They are popular with operators making night landings and
supply drops, who want to reduce the chances of advertising their presence.

*JATO Units---Jet Assisted TakeOff bottles, that allow the aircraft to take off in less than 800 ft of
runway...Essentially modified short range missile engines, up to 6 JATO units can be mounted on
the undercarriage(uses two in each use). JATO units can be made from modified SRMs(-10% to
Armorer roll to adapt them) but PS sells units for 800 credits apiece.

*EMP Shielding---Extensive use of non-conductive materials, shock barriers, capacitator-sponges,
redundant systems, and energy-dissipation technology protects the aircraft from the damaging
effects of electro-magnetic pulse, Triax Lightning Cannon, and other anti-electronics directed
energy weaponry.
Cost: 500,000 credits

*Solar Wing---The dorsal surface of the high-wing and main fuselage is fitted with high efficiency
solar panels, and the powerplants supplanted/complemented with a Super-Solar Power System.
Switching over to the electric power system drops maximum speed to 160 MPH. Flying in broad
daylight, mostly unobstructed sunlight gives the batteries an 8-hour charge; cloudy and overcast
days cut available power to three hours. This can be used in conjunction with a liquid-fuel system
to extend range and conserve fuel.
Cost: 3 million credits

Variants:
*AC-130/2 “Puff the Magic Dragon” Spectre Gunship
“And the rain comes roaring in!”
An armed variant mounting a lethal broadside of heavy weapons, intended for ground fire support
and generally leveling large targets. The AC-130/2E mounts most of its weapons and special
sensors on one side of the aircraft(specified at the time of ordering), generally the left side of the
aircraft, giving it a rather asymmetrical distribution of firepower, and taking up most, if not all, of
its available cargo capacity with the weapons and fire control equipment. The AC-130/2E is
typically escorted by smaller, faster, fighter aircraft and flying power armors to protect it, but that
doesn’t lessen its effectiveness as a ground attack aircraft. Anyone who has endured a sweeping
broadside by the Hercules II gunship and survived, is probably one of the luckiest bastards alive.
Paladin Steel has only manufactured a few dozen of these aircraft so far, but they ave served to
devastating effect when fielded.
Changes to the Basic C-130/2:
Crew: Add 5 gunners/fire control officers, and 4 EW/ECM technicians. Can only carry an additional
10 passengers(or 5 power armor), or 2,00 lbs of cargo/spare ammunition.
Additional MDC/Armor Locations:
Sensor Pods/Arrays(3) 40 each
Cannon Mounts(6) 50 each
Main Body +120
Powerplant: ALWAYS Nuclear-powered
Cost: 20 million credits
Special Systems:
*Forward Optics Turret w/ Low-Light and Thermal Imaging Optics(effective range of 2,000 ft), Laser
Targeting: 7000 ft, adds a +1 to strike with ranged weapons, and a laser designator for ‘painting’
targets for laser-guided smart weapons; 7 mile range, and gives laser-guided weapons a +2 to
strike.

*EM/EW Radar Detection---Alerts the crew to the presence of hostile EM activity, such as targeting
radars, and can be set to automatically fire flare/chaff countermeasure systems.

*Side-Scan Radar---Microwave radar system able to penetrate fog, smoke, and even forest canopy,
to locate the hard shapes of enemy robots, power armor, vehicles, bunkers, and even hardshelled
supernatural beings. 5 mile range, and gives a +3 to strike with long range weapons.
An advanced targeting computer attached to the radar can scan the readings and identify specific
objects from a memory of 4,800 different object-profiles. The use of this system, gives the sensor
operator a +15% to Read Sensory Instruments skill.

*Weapon Gyro Stabilization---Computerized servos and gyrostabilizers keep the weapons locked on
target through violent pitches/yaws and vibration. (+3 to strike)

*Computerized Targeting: All the weapons can be directed to fire on individual targets, or can fire
on one target(once per melee). +1 to strike on individual or synchronized firing.

*EMP Shielding --Standard

Total Bonus to Strike w/ All Weapons: (+8)

Weapons Systems:
1) PS-144 Autocannon(1)---A copy of the Coalition’s own C-144 heavy autocannon(mounted on the
IAR-2). The Paladin Steel version(as mounted on the AC-130/2E) has superior fire-direction and
recoil control, negating the range penalties imposed on the IAR-2’s guns. The AC-130/2E mounts
one of these weapons in a side mount, w/ 60-degree angle of elevation/depression/traverse.
Range: 10,000 ft
Damage: 2d4x10 MD per blast, w/ 10 ft blast radius
Rate of Fire: Twice per melee
Payload: 60 shells
--Later models of the AC-130/2E, especially those in GNE service, mount a more powerful 100mm
MB Massdriver Cannon(PS-MDJ100M).
Range: 27,000 ft (5.4 miles)
Damage: High Explosive(HE)---- 1d6x10 MD to 20 ft radius
High Explosive Anti-Tank(HEAT)---- 2d6 x10 MD to 10 ft radius
Fragmentation--- 2d6x10 MD to 30 ft radius
Plasma-----3d6x10 MD to 35 ft radius
(APFSDSDU)(Armor Piercing Fin Stabilized Discarding Sabot Depleted Uranium) 4d6x10 MD out to
11,000 ft, 2d6x10 MD out to maximum range
Rate of Fire: Four per melee
Payload: 80 shells

2) PS/IH-44L(E) Vulcan Lasers(3)-----Enhanced range PS-manufactured version of the original IHA
laser gatling. Two are mounted in lateral mounts, with 60-degree angle of
elevation/depression/traverse. A third is nose-mounted for aircraft defense, with 180-degree
traverse, 45 degree elevation/depression.
Range: 6,000 ft
Damage: 3d4x10 MD per rapid fire pulse burst
Rate of Fire: EGCHH(usually 5-6 shots per melee)
Payload: Effectively Unlimited

---Some variants of the AC-130/2E replace the lasers with longer-ranged, but ammunition-
dependent, 40mm autocannon;
Range: 2.6 miles
Damage:(Proximity Fuzed Fragmentation) 3d6 MD to 15 ft blast radius
(Armor Piercing Tracer) 5d6 MD single shot
(High Explosive Tracer) 4d6 MD to 10 ft blast radius
Rate of Fire: EPCHH
Payload: 400 rounds

3) Lateral Rapid-Fire Rail Guns(2)---The early models of the AC-130/2E used PSC-104 Tri-Barrel Rail
Guns(6,000 ft range, 1d6x10 MD per 60 rd burst, 10,000 rds per cannon), but more modern models
use more powerful Paladin Steel 20mm six-barreled chainguns;
Range: 19,000 ft
Damage: 4d4 MD single shot (2 ft blast radius)
1d6x10 MD per 5 rd burst(5 ft bast radius)
2d6x10 MD per 10 rd burst (10 ft spray radius)
6d6x10 MD for a 40 rd burst(is -4 to strike targets smaller than 60 ft)
Payload: Each weapon is served by a 2,000 rd ammunition drum

4) Flare/Chaff Launchers(8)---The Hercules II GUnship mounts the maximum number of flare/chaff
launchers with a total of 160 flare/chaff bundles between them.

5) Towed Decoy---The Gunship can deploy a towed decoy pod that puts out false radar
returns/signals similar to/stronger than the the AC-130/2E itself, in order to decoy missiles and
radar-guided weapons away from the main ship. The pod itself weighs 60 lbs, has 10 MDC, is
roughly torpedo-shaped, and is towed at the end of a 2,00 ft line behind the aircraft. The decoy
has a 60% chance of deceiving radar systems.
Cost: 8,000 credits to replace a destroyed decoy pod.
6) ECM Jamming---*ECCM system: A semi-automatic system that uses electronic encryption and
frequency jumping to (attempt to) negate jamming systems. The system has a 25% chance of
negating radar or communications jamming (non-magical) when operating on automatic.
Having an Electronic Warfare Skill gains a +15% bonus to operating this system.
Note that this only applies to received communications (the system filters them out from the
jamming clutter) and sensory data received by that unit alone (other units cannot make use of it,
unless they have an unaffected datalink/info-share with the ECCM equipped unit. Magic/psychic
jamming is NOT affected by this system.

*Sensor Jamming---An active, manned system that gives a 30%+operator’s ECM bonus chance of
jamming enemy radar, including radar guided munitions and missiles. Effective range of 25 miles.

7) Wing Pod Launchers(2)(30 MDC each)
The Gunship can also carry a variety of flares and sensor pods in underwing pods. Great for
designating targets. lighting up battlefields, or seeding sensor nets and creating free fire zones in
the path of an enemy.
Damage/Effects:
---Smoke: Multi-colored smoke cloud(10-20 ft radius)
---Parachute Flare: Illuminates an area of 1 mile for 3d6 melees
---Seismic Sensor: Parachutes/dives into soft ground, and can detect/monitor the movement of
objects heavier than 50 lbs in a 600 ft radius for 2d4 days. Can generally identify whether the
object is human, mechanical, or animal(60% chance of correct identification). Radio telemetry of
80 miles. For an extra 450 credits, the probe can be set to self-destruct(3d6 MD to a 5 ft radius).
Payload: Each pod can hold 10 flares/smoke grenades, or 10 sensor pods.
Cost: Flares/Smoke: 100 credits each
Sensor Pods: 2,000 credits each
Note: The above are standard , off-the-shelf systems sold by Paladin Steel(generally subcontracted
to smaller, local, works). If you can find a superior system; use it: Paladin Steel will gladly install
any hardware provided by the buyer at the time of aircraft purchase(though this costs 10-20% over
normal installation fees---See Rifts: Golden Age Weapons Smiths for general prices).
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
slade2501
Dungeon Crawler

This is SOLIDLY comprehensive. I like it.
ShadowLogan
Palladin

slade2501 wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 9:17 pm I had to google it, its from the 2nd edition of Robotech, I only have the old old books from the 90's. Looks like a cool design though.
The VC-33 (Mom's Kitchen) IS in the 1E books w/o a name change, specifically BK2 "RDF Manual" (pg14). There is also a larger RDF aircraft in the same role in 1E Main Book (#1, the Tunny IIRC) . Aerospace Transport is something that gets coverage in 1E (and 2E), you also have the ASC "Shuttles" and the REF/UEEF Horizon Shuttle (cargo pods), plus the Zentreadi have their Re-Entry Pod and Shuttle (Bk1/3) and the Masters have the multi-role carrier (Bk4) and don't forget the helicopters (Bk1).

While there are differences between 1E and 2E RT in terms of stats and such (some stuff gets reclassified to, mostly in the ASC book, and there are some new designs but nothing that can't be lived w/o IMHO, then you have IMUs that are basically 1E's PB-prototypes), unless you are trying to play "canon" RT or something along those lines 1E should be fine for "porting" to Rifts (just recognize the 1E stats may not be "accurate" from certain POVs).
slade2501
Dungeon Crawler

oh your right, BK 2 has a super brief description, they call it the Glamour VC-33. The wiki for Robotech shows when it was used in the animation as well. When I run Robotech games I use Macross setting (no protoculture, its a weird thing IMO).

Return to “Rifts®”