House Ruling for Playability

You are on your own. The Army is MIA and our government is gone! There are no communications of any kind. Cities and towns have gone dark, and zombies fill the streets. The dead have risen and it would seem to be the end of the world. Help me, Mommy!

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Fenris2020
Adventurer
Comment: Go woke, go broke.

House Ruling for Playability

Unread post by Fenris2020 »

Here are some things I came up with to make the game more enjoyable and survivable. Because, as written, your characters have a chance somewhere below zero, unless they just run until the die. Which still means they die.

Lower the zombie AR to 10 from 14.
Halve zombie SDC and weird "we feel you for no real reason" range.
Take a couple of zeros off the range of their PPE sight. So, from like 1000' through tank-armor, to 10' in the "open".
Rework the combat rules. I can hit a smaller target than a head on burst fire, and have done so when bullets were coming the other way. It isn't impossible (whomever thinks that way isn't familiar with weapons). Also in single-fire, why does a 12-year old with a BB gun have the same chance of getting a head-shot as an ace sniper with a properly outfitted rifle?
Simple changes using some logic and real-world experience can make the game a lot more fun to play and still challenging (and players who do stupid crap will still have a hard time... even players who do things right and have a bad day may lose their character), which means more copies get sold... good business model.

Edit: I can't think of a good reason to double the zombies' strength in most cases. Add 3 points after rolling instead.
Last edited by Fenris2020 on Wed Mar 27, 2024 2:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You are a truly worthy foe! I shall howl a dirge in your honour and eat your heart with pride!
Grazzik
Adventurer

Re: House Ruling for Playability

Unread post by Grazzik »

All great suggestions!

Other ideas I've used include:
  • Unless you are playing through the horror of the zombie crisis, start the game 3-5 years after day 1... people generally have basic coping skills if they live that long, which mitigates some of the metagaming by players and perhaps allows them to accumulate some useful gear to start with
  • Be flexible with horror factor - folks that encounter the same sloucher type of zombie day in day out are probably not fazed unless there is some other factor at play
  • Don't be stingy with places of respite even if only for a few hours, as a nap can do a world of good
  • Physical strength of zombies - roll the 3d6 for original PS before zombification (without exploding die) and then double, don't use the groupings on DR pg 34 which are on average higher than what would be rolled
  • Extra experience points if players immerse themselves and actually eat the random foods their PCs are lucky enough to find in abandoned houses... stale potato chips, instant coffee, sugar/condiment packets, etc. Bonus - it helps clear the crap out of your pantry...
CharlotteFilemdar
Newb

Re: House Ruling for Playability

Unread post by CharlotteFilemdar »

We definitely want the game to be challenging, but not unplayable. Your suggestions about zombie stats (AR, SDC, sight range) could be a good starting point for some playtesting.
Reworking the combat system to reflect real-world skill levels (better accuracy for trained characters) is a great idea. This can be done without taking away the threat of zombies.
Making the game more fun doesn't mean removing all risk. Players who make bad decisions should still face consequences.
Let's Talk Numbers:

Lowering zombie AR and tweaking their sight range are definitely worth exploring through playtesting.
A complete combat system overhaul might be a bigger change, but considering different modifiers for skill levels could be interesting.
Doubling zombie strength seems a bit harsh – adding a modifier after the roll could be a good compromise.
Next Steps:

We appreciate you sharing your experience and suggestions. The dev team will definitely consider your feedback when looking at balancing the game.
Playtesting these changes is key to finding the right balance between challenge and fun.
Overall, your goal of making the game more enjoyable while keeping it challenging is spot on! We value your input.

Return to “Dead Reign™”