Psi-Sword Tattoo

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Aermas
Explorer
Comment: There are two kinds of people in this world, those who quote people, & those who people quote

-Aermas

Psi-Sword Tattoo

Unread post by Aermas »

Would it be weird/bad for a Clan of Atlanteans to have a Mark of Heritage magic tattoo that allowed them the Psi-Sword Psi-Power? There's a few Tattoos that that grant psychic abilities when activated like the dancer giving Hypnotic Suggestion.
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Re: Psi-Sword Tattoo

Unread post by ShadowLogan »

From a certain POV it seems it would be redundant to have a Psi-Sword Tattoo given the "Magic Weapon" tattoo family of M-tats, that is not to say there wouldn't be differences (Psi-Sword levels up, M-W Tatts don't).

I guess what needs to be clarified is why someone would want a Psi-Power Psi-Sword Tattoo over a Magic Weapon Tattoo.

And I realize that some psi-powers are referenced in M-Tats, but is that for ease of convivence or because they are psi-powers? Astral Projection is a magic spell/ritual, but also a psi-power with the magic referring one back to the psi-power instead of reprinting it.
Library Ogre
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: My comments do not necessarily represent the views of Palladium Books.

Unread post by Library Ogre »

I'd be inclined to say that it creates a regular (magic) sword that looks like a Psi-Sword, if it's Marks of Heritage.
-overproduced by Martin Hannett

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
Happiness is a long block list.
If you don't want to be vilified, don't act like a villain.
The Megaverse runs on vibes.
All Palladium Articles
Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

My knee jerk response was 'no'. But after thinking while reading the other responses....
But I might allow it as replacement to a clan's the magic weapon mark of heritage. For variation value.
It would be limited to that single clan and be limited to a single form but would read as psychic and would take ISP to activate.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
darthauthor
Hero

Unread post by darthauthor »

First impression, I thought I remember Atlantean Tattooed Defenders having BOTH their flaming sword and also simple weapon tattoos.
It seems like redundant weapons are not forbidden.
Grazzik
Adventurer

Unread post by Grazzik »

I would say that you get the effect of the psi-power, but still requires PPE, not ISP, to activate. This is the case with Beautiful Dancer / Hypnotic Suggestion.

It has got me thinking that since making magic tattoos is one of those mystical arts highly limited to talented beings of incredible power like Chiang-Ku, Splugorth, Atlanteans etc., why not allow tattoos that emulate various spells and psi-powers not already listed under the tattoo section of DB15. Kinda like TW in a way, just using body art as a focus. Cool... the possibilities of mixing and matching abounds... oh man, my next BTS or NB game is going to have a mysterious tattoo parlor of dubious repute!
Aermas
Explorer
Comment: There are two kinds of people in this world, those who quote people, & those who people quote

-Aermas

Unread post by Aermas »

Grazzik wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 9:03 pm I would say that you get the effect of the psi-power, but still requires PPE, not ISP, to activate. This is the case with Beautiful Dancer / Hypnotic Suggestion.

It has got me thinking that since making magic tattoos is one of those mystical arts highly limited to talented beings of incredible power like Chiang-Ku, Splugorth, Atlanteans etc., why not allow tattoos that emulate various spells and psi-powers not already listed under the tattoo section of DB15. Kinda like TW in a way, just using body art as a focus. Cool... the possibilities of mixing and matching abounds... oh man, my next BTS or NB game is going to have a mysterious tattoo parlor of dubious repute!
That's what I was thinking, I feel like most Tattoos just emulate spells & such so why not a few Psi Powers too? Maybe I'll write up a heavily Psychic Atlantean Clan & some tats to go with it.

Not to mention like you said, you could just bundle a few spells & make a tat for them. Depends on how you'd like to handle them, are they TW-esque mockeries of Atlantean Tats or are they true tats?
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Unread post by ShadowLogan »

darthauthor wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 12:34 pm First impression, I thought I remember Atlantean Tattooed Defenders having BOTH their flaming sword and also simple weapon tattoos.
It seems like redundant weapons are not forbidden.
Except those aren't redundant weapons (Flaming and Simple) per say. One is a MD capable weapon and the other is an SD weapon, both have their use cases (we see this with MD and SD guns KS even addressed this issue way back in SB1o's Q&A, I see no reason that it would change for melee weapons).
RockJock
Knight

Unread post by RockJock »

I would allow it for the one clan, just make the Psi-Sword manifest at the cost of PPE.
RockJock, holder of the mighty Rune Rock Hammer!

Return to “Rifts®”