Shifter summoning

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Anastobe
D-Bee

Shifter summoning

Unread post by Anastobe »

Can anyone explain shifter summoning to me a little better?

1. You use the communication rift to look for the supernatural creature.

2. Battle of Wills. "If it fails to save, the creature will be totally subservient to the Shifter, obeying all commands except to reveal its true name or to commit suicide." Do you still proceed to "round 2" at this point? or only if it makes its save?
Grazzik
Adventurer

Re: Shifter summoning

Unread post by Grazzik »

Using the rules on RUE pg 123, Round 2 only applies if the summoned creature saves against the battle of wills.

Otherwise, what would be the point of winning the battle of wills and then having to fight the creature? That would not make any sense. :nh:
Anastobe
D-Bee

That is what I thought. I was just making sure before I attempted playing one.

Thank you Grazzik
Grazzik
Adventurer

Unread post by Grazzik »

Anastobe wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 4:12 pm That is what I thought. I was just making sure before I attempted playing one.

Thank you Grazzik
No problem. Have fun.
Anastobe
D-Bee

Follow up question. If a creature has + to all magic saving throws, does that apply in the battle of wills?
Devjannz
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Devjannz »

Anastobe wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 4:54 pm Follow up question. If a creature has + to all magic saving throws, does that apply in the battle of wills?
I would say no. The Battle of Wills itself is not "magic" just to see who has the stronger force of personality.
"Hurry, were running out of time!"

"Cannot run out of time. There is infinite time. You are finite; Zathras is finite; This....is wrong tool.

Susan Ivonnova and Zathras, Babylon 5 'War Without End'
Grazzik
Adventurer

Unread post by Grazzik »

Devjannz wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 7:07 pm
Anastobe wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 4:54 pm Follow up question. If a creature has + to all magic saving throws, does that apply in the battle of wills?
I would say no. The Battle of Wills itself is not "magic" just to see who has the stronger force of personality.
Agreed, it's a battle of personalities.
RUE pg 123 wrote:Rolls are made on a 20-sided die (1D20) and ME attribute bonuses and bonuses to save vs mind control are added to the creature's roll to save.
Save to magic is a PE bonus, so they would not apply. Not sure which ME bonus to apply - vs psionic attack or vs insanity - I'd suggest psionics as, while it's not about a power per se, it is about strength of will.
Anastobe
D-Bee

That is what I thought. Just figured I would ask.
Grazzik wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 9:41 pm
Agreed, it's a battle of personalities.
RUE pg 123 wrote:Rolls are made on a 20-sided die (1D20) and ME attribute bonuses and bonuses to save vs mind control are added to the creature's roll to save.
Save to magic is a PE bonus, so they would not apply. Not sure which ME bonus to apply - vs psionic attack or vs insanity - I'd suggest psionics as, while it's not about a power per se, it is about strength of will.
I would think it would be Psionics also. Appreciate the responses!

Return to “Rifts®”