Telekinetic Punch

Diabolists, Techno-Wizards & Psionicists, Oh my! All things that are Magics and Psionics in all Palladium Games.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

darthauthor
Hero

Telekinetic Punch

Unread post by darthauthor »

EDIT

The psionic power Telekinetic Punch from Rifts Ultimate Edition page 170.

At 7th level can a character use this power as a surprise attack. It allows for a range of 1 foot per level so a 7th level character could throw a punch at a target 7 feet away from them. I can imagine that suprising an unexpecting defender.

One of the situations of its use is that of a character behind bars who wants to use it to throw a punch between the bars to strike a guard and a prisoner in another jail cell.

The Question:
When a psychic uses this power, is it a surprise attack? (No parry or dodge, defender losses initiative)

Would it work if you attacked from behind the bars of a prison cell?

IF you use this power to strike someone from behind can it knock them out?

Can the character (NPC, player, villian) use this to trip attack someone (knock down, losses 1 attack, etc.)?

Does this psionic attack count against creatures that can only be hurt by psionics or magic?
Last edited by darthauthor on Sun Feb 11, 2024 7:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Re: Telekinetic Punch

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

When a psychic uses this power, is it a surprise attack? (No parry or dodge, defender losses initiative)

Would it work if you attacked from behind the bars of a prison cell?

IF you use this power to strike someone from behind can it knock them out?

Can the character (NPC, player, villan) use this to trip attack someone (knock down, losses 1 attack, etc.)?

Does this psionic attack count against creatures that can only be hurt by psionics or magic?
If the target is ignorant of the power, 90% yes.

If there isn't a bar in the way, yes. In other words, roll two strikes (miss the bars & strike the target) or make the difficulty to hit higher. Also since it is a ranged attack it might do well to apply the ranged attack 'to hit' number to using this power.

Attacks from the rear are attacks from the rear. Use those rules.

No sweeps or other trip/KD attacks with TK Punch. You could make up a new power for your villains as a GM that does trip/KD attacks.
Last edited by drewkitty ~..~ on Mon Feb 12, 2024 11:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Soldier of Od
Hero

Unread post by Soldier of Od »

darthauthor wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 2:07 pmAt 7th level can a character use this power as a surprise attack. It allows for a range of 1 foot per level so a 7th level character could throw a punch at a target 7 feet away from them. I can imagine that suprising an unexpecting defender.
Where is this from? There's nothing about this in my (first printing) copy of Rifts UE page 170. Is this another Palladium update/editing issue?

Regarding the other questions, I would say is it is a punch (or kick), not a trip, and as such can only do damage, as opposed to tripping or other special moves. However, this hit could knock someone out given the required circumstances/rolls.
I don't think telekinesis in general (including this power) enables one to damage creatures that can only be harmed by psionics (etc.). You are still hitting them with the object or fist being moved via telekinesis, not by "psionics". My opinion.
Rifter Contributor:
Rifter 61 – Purebred animal templates for Mutants in Avalon (After the Bomb)
Rifter 77 & 78 – Khemennu, City of the Eighteen Cosmic Gods (Palladium Fantasy)
Rifter 83 – The Prophet O.C.C. (Palladium Fantasy)
Rifter 83 – Half-Ogres (Palladium Fantasy)
Rifter 84 – Spellbound O.C.C. (Nightbane)
Rifter 85 – Relics of Empire: Elven Cities of the Old Kingdom (Palladium Fantasy)
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Unread post by ShadowLogan »

darthauthor wrote:At 7th level can a character use this power as a surprise attack. It allows for a range of 1 foot per level so a 7th level character could throw a punch at a target 7 feet away from them. I can imagine that suprising an unexpecting defender.
No they cannot use it for a surprise attack. I've checked RUE (1st Printing) and WB12 (when it was introduced to Rifts) and PF2E and none of them mention the ability to use it as a surprise attack at Level 7.

Now when a psychic used TK Punch/Kick as a "ranged attack" option it might catch an opponent by surprise (psychic swings at them from to far away is their thinking and yet the connect), but likely would only be 1st swing option.

Sure it can knock someone out, but I can't see it being used as a "trip" attack.

It would count as psychic attack against creatures that can only be hurt by psionics, though I don't see how it would work on creatures only vulnerable to magic (it is psychic in nature after all).
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

Given that the power explicitly states "Saving Throw: Dodge or parry as usual" then you get your dodge or parry, as usual.
Now it is possible to make a judgement call that certain situations warrant an exception to the standard rule... but as written if they could defend against the punch portion, they can defend against the TK portion
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Library Ogre
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: My comments do not necessarily represent the views of Palladium Books.

Unread post by Library Ogre »

I would go with "It is a surprise attack if the attack is a surprise." If you flat-foot smack someone not expecting it, that's a surprise attack whether your fist is involved or not. However, if they're expecting the punch, it's not a surprise attack.
-overproduced by Martin Hannett

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
Happiness is a long block list.
If you don't want to be vilified, don't act like a villain.
The Megaverse runs on vibes.
All Palladium Articles
Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Unread post by Killer Cyborg »

eliakon wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 2:19 pm Given that the power explicitly states "Saving Throw: Dodge or parry as usual" then you get your dodge or parry, as usual.
Now it is possible to make a judgement call that certain situations warrant an exception to the standard rule... but as written if they could defend against the punch portion, they can defend against the TK portion
Agreed.
Annual Best Poster of the Year Awards (2012)

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!

Return to “Guild of Magic & Psionics”