Bio-manipulation vs Mind Block

Diabolists, Techno-Wizards & Psionicists, Oh my! All things that are Magics and Psionics in all Palladium Games.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

darthauthor
Hero

Bio-manipulation vs Mind Block

Unread post by darthauthor »

Does Mind Block shield against the Super Psionic Power of Bio-Manipulation?
darthauthor
Hero

Re: Bio-manipulation vs Mind Block

Follow up question, "Does being invisible make you immune to attacks by Bio-Manipulation?"

"IF you don't know you are being attacked by Bio-Manipulation do you know it IF you make the save?"
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Unread post by ShadowLogan »

Mind Block would provide a bonus of +1 to save vs psionic attack (per text), it would not block Bio-Manipulation outright. Given the text of Bio-Manipulation it would count as a physical attack (it causes physical trauma per text).

Invisibility on its own will not make you immune to Bio-Manipulation. Text (RUE pg177) specifically states "Intended victims must be within line of vision or their exact location known to the psychic." This means that on its own Invisibility would be a counter to Bio-Manipulation, but if the psychic can "See the Invisible" or otherwise determine the location of the invisible subject they would be vulnerable.
darthauthor
Hero

Thank you for the reply ShadowLogan,

I should be more detailed in my question.
IF the NPC or player begins as invisible and the attacker using Bio-Manipulation attacks (gun fire is -10 to strike) is the defender of the attack immune to blind fire or guess firing?

And NOT becoming invisible while blind or some other Bio-Manipulation effect.

ALSO, SHOULD player know they are being attacked with Bio-Manipulation or is the roll kept secret if the Mind Melter is being sneaky like an assassin sniping under cover?
Last edited by darthauthor on Wed Feb 07, 2024 11:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Unread post by ShadowLogan »

If the target of Bio-Manipulation is invisible the psychic needs to know the "exact location" of the target as there is no blind fire or guess work allowed per the text. You might allow a "window of opportunity" if someone goes invisible and doesn't move right away (or if in motion and they don't change their vector and they "lead the target").

From a Meta-Game POV a player will know if they are under psychic attack when they have to roll for save vs psychic attack (or what ever as the case maybe). That does not mean the Character will know it is a psychic attack if it was successful automatically and most likely would not notice if it was a failed attempt. The character could suspect it was psychic or magic in some cases, but that is not a guarantee since some of these could just be "natural" results unless there is some other reason to suspect it isn't "natural".
Soldier of Od
Hero

Unread post by Soldier of Od »

darthauthor wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 1:51 pmALSO, SHOULD player know they are being attacked with Bio-Manipulation or is the roll kept secret if the Mind Melter is being sneaky like an assassin sniping under cover?
In general, I wouldn't keep a roll secret by rolling for a player, but I will ask a player to make a roll without telling them what they are rolling for (I usually have a copy of their character sheet, so I can look up their bonuses to add them myself). That way, they know something is going on, but don't know whether it was a perception roll, as save vs. magic, psionics, or whatever. Additionally, I will ask players to roll a D20 when nothing is going on at all, to create tension, and so they don't know in each case whether there is really a hidden attacker or something to look out for, or just a fake roll.
Rifter Contributor:
Rifter 61 – Purebred animal templates for Mutants in Avalon (After the Bomb)
Rifter 77 & 78 – Khemennu, City of the Eighteen Cosmic Gods (Palladium Fantasy)
Rifter 83 – The Prophet O.C.C. (Palladium Fantasy)
Rifter 83 – Half-Ogres (Palladium Fantasy)
Rifter 84 – Spellbound O.C.C. (Nightbane)
Rifter 85 – Relics of Empire: Elven Cities of the Old Kingdom (Palladium Fantasy)

Return to “Guild of Magic & Psionics”