Snake people?

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Slimon386
D-Bee

Snake people?

Unread post by Slimon386 »

Has there ever been a snake race similar to a naga? One of my players is trying to play a snake girl and Im having difficulty finding a suitable race for them.
"I have underestimated your talents Slimon, you have completly shattered all of my expectations. You are in fact beyond a shadow of a doubt the real deal. A Genuine Idiot!"
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Re: Snake people?

Unread post by ShadowLogan »

There are a few snake-people races out there, though if they qualify as a Naga I don't know. Books with Snake-people to take a look at (sorry don't have time for name & page numbers at the moment):
-Japanese Dragons (WB8) might work (impersonation)
-Indian stuff might be in Pantheons of the Megaverse (a book I don't have, speculating)
-A merman-type race found in Underseas (WB7 pg37-8 the Rurlel Eel People) might work as a template (modify as you want)
-Pythonan (WB21: Splyn Dim Market pg87-8)
-Rifts World Book 14 New West has two monsters you might be able to adapt (Oborus-Slither pg152-3, Great Dream Snakes pg144-5, regular/ordinary Earth snakes are pg161)
-Rifts Conversion Book 1 (revised, not sure about original) has an Angel-Demon Serpent in the Monster section (pg130-3)
-and I'm not sure which, but Dimension Book 5 or 6 also has something (sorry I forget which one, its DB5 p42-3 the Sinestrian))
-Rifts South America (I want to say #2 WB9, but it might be #1 in WB6) has a mutant snake (WB9 pg141-2 has the Serpentoid RCC)
-Heroes Unlimited/After The Bomb has mutation rules you could use to construct a race (i suppose, HU doesn't have starting point for snakes so you'd have to wing it somehow), HU or Phaseworld might also be able to pull off something by using the Alien Creation table (again off hand)

EDIT: Added Race Name and page number
Last edited by ShadowLogan on Sun Jan 14, 2024 10:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Grazzik
Adventurer

Unread post by Grazzik »

The naga are specifically in CB2 pg 141.

There is another type of naga in WB24 pg 116.

An alternative would be the Sinestrian (DB5 pg 42) who are snake people with robotic arms.

ShadowLogan's suggestions are all good.

Perhaps homebrew a Were-Snake character.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

HU wise there is also the Aliens Unlimited book that has both the Alien creation tables, and a few reptilian races.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Soldier of Od
Hero

Unread post by Soldier of Od »

You could use a Yin-Lord from the Palladium Fantasy sourcebook, Library of Bletherad.
Last edited by Soldier of Od on Mon Jan 15, 2024 9:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rifter Contributor:
Rifter 61 – Purebred animal templates for Mutants in Avalon (After the Bomb)
Rifter 77 & 78 – Khemennu, City of the Eighteen Cosmic Gods (Palladium Fantasy)
Rifter 83 – The Prophet O.C.C. (Palladium Fantasy)
Rifter 83 – Half-Ogres (Palladium Fantasy)
Rifter 84 – Spellbound O.C.C. (Nightbane)
Rifter 85 – Relics of Empire: Elven Cities of the Old Kingdom (Palladium Fantasy)
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Grazzik wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2024 5:52 pm Perhaps homebrew a Were-Snake character.
Megaversally there is no reason to homebrew a Were-Snake per say depending on just exactly what you are looking for. If one jumps over to the Palladium Fantasy line, specifically the Land of the Damned 2: Eternal Torment there is a monster race grouped as Were-Beasts (called as such) that includes an option for a serpent (pg100-2).

Rifts sort of has something that might also work in DB21 (pg97-101) called the Were-Dragon (NOTE: it is not a TRUE dragon OR werebeast), I only bring it up as the artwork has a more Oriental Dragon design (ie serpent like body) as opposed to European Dragon design (ie lizard like).

Other options for a "snake-person" that come to mind might be the Vernulians (WB1o or WB30, I don't know if they appear in Revised WB1), potentially the race that inspired the Kittani Serpent PA (no details on them, but speculation on my part). Depending on how snake like you want the body there are also a host of reptile based races, there are also some other serpent-esque creatures out there to. Can't forget the Gene-Splicers or Splugorth Bio-Wizardry either.
Grazzik
Adventurer

Unread post by Grazzik »

ShadowLogan wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 11:02 amMegaversally there is no reason to homebrew a Were-Snake per say depending on just exactly what you are looking for. If one jumps over to the Palladium Fantasy line, specifically the Land of the Damned 2: Eternal Torment there is a monster race grouped as Were-Beasts (called as such) that includes an option for a serpent (pg100-2).
Good find :ok:
Curbludgeon
Hero
Comment: They/Them

Unread post by Curbludgeon »

I'm deciding how much if any to shave off the Lyvorrk(?) native scalekind psychic to give them some shapechanging.
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Zer0 Kay »

Soldier of Od wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 8:55 am You could use a Yin-Lord from the Palladium Fantasy sourcebook, Library of Bletherad.
Why a Yin-Lord? Why not just a Yuan-ti? From the Yinsloth Jungle?
:thwak: you some might think you're a :clown: but you're cool in book :ok: :thwak:--Mecha-Viper
BEST IDEA EVER!!! -- The Galactus Kid
Holy crapy, you're Zer0 Kay?! --TriaxTech
Zer0 Kay is my hero. --Atramentus
The Zer0 of Kay, who started this fray,
Kept us laughing until the end. -The Fifth Business (In loving Memory of the teleport thread)
Mouser13
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Mouser13 »

Vemulians maybe not really humaniod but still nice race. world book 30
Soldier of Od
Hero

Zer0 Kay wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 7:26 pm
Soldier of Od wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 8:55 am You could use a Yin-Lord from the Palladium Fantasy sourcebook, Library of Bletherad.
I've no idea what a Yuan-Ti is, sorry.
Yin-Lords are also from the Yin-Sloth Jungle (as well as the Floenry Isles and the Land of the South Winds).
Rifter Contributor:
Rifter 85 – Relics of Empire: Elven Cities of the Old Kingdom (Palladium Fantasy)
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Mouser13 wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 9:42 pm Vemulians maybe not really humaniod but still nice race. world book 30
I agree they aren't humanoid, but they could fit the bill of a "snake race" depending on what one is looking for (and there are races that are even closer to snake-like that have been mentioned already).
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Soldier of Od wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 8:45 am
Yin-Lords are also from the Yin-Sloth Jungle (as well as the Floenry Isles and the Land of the South Winds).
I meant they're from the YinSloth Jungle Book.
:thwak: you some might think you're a :clown: but you're cool in book :ok: :thwak:--Mecha-Viper
Kept us laughing until the end. -The Fifth Business (In loving Memory of the teleport thread)
Curbludgeon
Hero
Comment: They/Them

Unread post by Curbludgeon »

Yuan-ti are a Dungeons and Dragons species occupying the ancient snake race niche, such that individuals might have snake arms/head/legs.
Soldier of Od
Hero

Zer0 Kay wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 5:07 pm
Ah, okay. I don't have that book. Well, not the new version anyway.
Last edited by Soldier of Od on Wed Jan 17, 2024 1:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Rifter Contributor:
Soldier of Od
Hero

Curbludgeon wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 9:40 pm Yuan-ti are a Dungeons and Dragons species occupying the ancient snake race niche, such that individuals might have snake arms/head/legs.
I don't have the Dungeons and Dragons book either 😄
Rifter Contributor:
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Soldier of Od wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 1:16 pm
Zer0 Kay wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 5:07 pm
Ah, okay. I don't have that book. Well, not the new version anyway.
Sorry my bad. Curbludgeon is correct. In my search for a Yuan-Ti I found the Yin-Lord. If my memory still isn't shot, the original appearance was in the yin sloth Jungle book... but that is probably wrong too. :(

Return to “Rifts®”