Instead of Minmei, what if it was Sabaton?

Whether it is a Veritech or a Valkyrie, Robotech or Macross II, Earth is in danger eitherway. Grab your mecha and fight the good fight.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

slade the sniper
Hero

Instead of Minmei, what if it was Sabaton?

Unread post by slade the sniper »

Rando thought after being awake 30 hours...

What if the Zentraedi had heard Sabaton, or Motorhead or different music than Minmei? Would they have kept their military bearing or become angry berserker avatars of war if they got pumped up on Swedish power metal or British punk-metal? Was is music, or was it specifically Minmei that got to the Zents?

-STS
My skin is not a sin - Carlos Wallace
A man's rights rest in three boxes. The ballot box, jury box and the cartridge box - Frederick Douglass
I am a firm believer that men with guns can solve any problem - Inscriptus
Any system in which the most populated areas have the most political power, creates an incentive for areas that want power to increase their population - Killer Cyborg
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Re: Instead of Minmei, what if it was Sabaton?

Unread post by ShadowLogan »

I think it is highly likely that the Zentreadi Spies where exposed to additional musical sources beyond just Minmei. It just seems unlikely that out of a population of 50k plus people you only had 1x singer (and supporting band), and that the SDF-1 would not have access to other musical sources (either indigenous OR recorded pre-launch), off-hand I don't recall the music being played at the "disco" when the Spies bumped into the Bridge Bunnies (Minmei's music doesn't seem like high energy "dancing" music to me, slow "waltz" maybe). So yes, it seems Minmei's style of music caught their attention (and given she had a media blitz attached to her...)

Now could some other singer singing in the same style have filled in Minmei's role, certainly seems plausible. However, I think it is important to remember that Minmei was a "package deal" that formed the core of the human's (unintended) psychological attack on the Zentreadi. If you remove Minmei and replace her, are you going for a "package deal" or going for specific individual elements (ie someone to do the singing, another to do the acting, etc).

What effects another style of music might have had on the Zentreadi isn't known, and likely might vary by individual tastes (especially in the long run) and style of music.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

no no *shaking head* the producers would not sign off on that. :lol: :P :wink:

I get where you are coming from. And I would expect some Zents to develop musical tastes outside that of their "listen to the muse" programing.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Jefffar
Supreme Being
Comment: Being a moderator doesn't mean I speak for Palladium Books. It just makes me the lifeguard at their pool.

Unread post by Jefffar »

If you spend time with the novels (yeah, I know) there is something peculiar about Minmei. Her voice takes on an almost supernatural quality by the end of the Sentinals arc.

So while music may have caused a disruption amoung the Zentraedi, only Minmei could have so utterly devastated them like she did.
Official Hero of the Megaverse

Dead Boy wrote:All hail Jefffar... King of the Mods

Co-Holder with Ice Dragon of the "Lando Calrissian" award for Smooth. - Novastar

Palladium Forums of the Megaverse Rules

If you need to contact Palladium Books for any reason, click here.
slade the sniper
Hero

Jefffar wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 10:06 pm If you spend time with the novels (yeah, I know) there is something peculiar about Minmei. Her voice takes on an almost supernatural quality by the end of the Sentinals arc.

So while music may have caused a disruption amoung the Zentraedi, only Minmei could have so utterly devastated them like she did.
I read those, and I still have them... but is that explicitly stated or sort of hinted at? I understand the need for a Minmei, but *shudder* as I have gotten older, I still despise her for everything she did, and the washed up pop-idol thing makes no sense. The whole thing with Janice Em...

Did she guzzle some protoculture or something?

-STS
A man's rights rest in three boxes. The ballot box, jury box and the cartridge box - Frederick Douglass
Any system in which the most populated areas have the most political power, creates an incentive for areas that want power to increase their population - Killer Cyborg
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Unread post by ShadowLogan »

slade the sniper wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 12:42 pm
Jefffar wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 10:06 pm If you spend time with the novels (yeah, I know) there is something peculiar about Minmei. Her voice takes on an almost supernatural quality by the end of the Sentinals arc.

I read those, and I still have them... but is that explicitly stated or sort of hinted at? I understand the need for a Minmei, but *shudder* as I have gotten older, I still despise her for everything she did, and the washed up pop-idol thing makes no sense. The whole thing with Janice Em...

Did she guzzle some protoculture or something?

-STS
I don't recall her guzzling PC. It was heavily implied in "End of the Circle" that she was Zor's Mother (father Rem, his own clone). If that is the case then time travel almost certainly has to be involved somehow (involving Haydon most likely), which means to protect the timeline Zor might have (even subconsciously) instilled directives in the Zentreadi relating to her (to protect the timeline). Sort of like how Beka Valentine relates to the Nicheans in Andromeda (revealed in the last season, though I'll be honest I stopped regular watching the show part way through season 2 so I'm fuzzy on the details).
taalismn
Priest

Unread post by taalismn »

Best fanfic take on this I read had the Zentraedi tapping Earth's airwaves)a time-traveling Miriya managing to tie in the radio sensors with shipboard comms....so the Zentraedi were getting more gradually corrupted...and the Zentraedi officers acquiring playlists....Breetai was into Celtic, Azonia began listening to Classic Orchestral. Sadly, the author decided to start over and seems to have dropped that continua line..
-------------
"Trouble rather the Tiger in his Lair,
Than the Sage among his Books,
For all the Empires and Kingdoms,
The Armies and Works that you hold Dear,
Are to him but the Playthings of the Moment,
To be turned over with the Flick of a Finger,
And the Turning of a Page"

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Jefffar
Supreme Being
Comment: Being a moderator doesn't mean I speak for Palladium Books. It just makes me the lifeguard at their pool.

Unread post by Jefffar »

IIRC in the last book of the Sentinels Minmay used the Voice (capitalized in the novel) to like fry the brain of some dude who'd fallen into a protoculture vat and turned into a half human half Invid tentacle beast.

Co-Holder with Ice Dragon of the "Lando Calrissian" award for Smooth. - Novastar

slade the sniper
Hero

Jefffar wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 9:28 pm IIRC in the last book of the Sentinels Minmay used the Voice (capitalized in the novel) to like fry the brain of some dude who'd fallen into a protoculture vat and turned into a half human half Invid tentacle beast.
Oh, yeah. I remember that... So Minmei is also the first Bene Gesserit?

-STS
taalismn
Priest

Unread post by taalismn »

Jefffar wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 9:28 pm IIRC in the last book of the Sentinels Minmay used the Voice (capitalized in the novel) to like fry the brain of some dude who'd fallen into a protoculture vat and turned into a half human half Invid tentacle beast.
So, electronic amplification actually toned down Minmei's voice? :D
-------------
"Trouble rather the Tiger in his Lair,
Than the Sage among his Books,
For all the Empires and Kingdoms,
The Armies and Works that you hold Dear,
Are to him but the Playthings of the Moment,
To be turned over with the Flick of a Finger,
And the Turning of a Page"

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Jefffar
Supreme Being

Unread post by Jefffar »

More like something about the specifics of her voice allows her to affect the brain directly. If she's singing her usual repertoire feelings of joy, hope and love are created. If she's screaming at you to just die.... Brain hemorrhage.

Return to “Robotech® - The Shadow Chronicles® - Macross II®”