Tattoo monsters, P.P.E., and psi-stalkers

Diabolists, Techno-Wizards & Psionicists, Oh my! All things that are Magics and Psionics in all Palladium Games.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

darthauthor
Hero

Tattoo monsters, P.P.E., and psi-stalkers

Unread post by darthauthor »

So I was reading about Atlantean monsters tattoos.

Some questions came to mind.

So if a psi-stalker has a fight with a monster that was created by an Atlantean Monster Tattoo does he know it?

Does it bleed?

Does the psi-stalker get P.P.E. from killing it?
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Re: Tattoo monsters, P.P.E., and psi-stalkers

Unread post by ShadowLogan »

darthauthor wrote:So if a psi-stalker has a fight with a monster that was created by an Atlantean Monster Tattoo does he know it?
"... the tatoo glows, disappears from his skin, and reappears as dull gray life-size monster."-BoM pg233. A similar statement appears for animals on pg230.

So, I will say yes, they will likely notice if it has an odd skin tone (ie "hey its supposed to be pink with purple poka dots, not a dull gray.")
darthauthor wrote:Does it bleed?
"Note: The animals aren't actually alive but composed of a magic, ectoplasm-like substance."-BoM pg230

"Note: The monsters are not actually alive but composed of a magic, ectoplasm-like substance."-BoM pg233

So, no it doesn't bleed.
darthauthor wrote:Does the psi-stalker get P.P.E. from killing it?
No, it is not alive.
darthauthor
Hero

IF I was a psi-stalker and just slayed that monster, I'd be real disappointed I didn't get any P.P.E. out of it.

I assume I can sense P.P.E. of the monster, given there is P.P.E. in it.

It makes me wonder. I forgot if they mention it. Do Buff spells work on monsters created by magic tattoos?
Breathe Without Air.
Immunity to FIre
Armor of Ithan
That sort of thing
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

does the PS know they are not fighting something alive? yes.

No

No
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
ShadowLogan
Palladin

darthauthor wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 12:33 pm IF I was a psi-stalker and just slayed that monster, I'd be real disappointed I didn't get any P.P.E. out of it.

I assume I can sense P.P.E. of the monster, given there is P.P.E. in it.

It makes me wonder. I forgot if they mention it. Do Buff spells work on monsters created by magic tattoos?
Breathe Without Air.
Immunity to FIre
Armor of Ithan
That sort of thing
Actually I would think it should be uncommon for a T-man to allow their Monster/Animal Tattoo to be destroyed given the penalties inflicted if the creature is destroyed while cast (PPE cost is modified for a given duration AND they take damage direct to HP). That isn't to say it can't happen due to poor management OR a fast overwhelming attack.

While they might sense the "Magic" of the monster/animal, it should be noted they might not sense it as a creature but an item since the activated tattoo creature is not alive (as cited previously).

As far as buffing spells go, it's hard to say. There isn't anything for or against the idea though in RAW AFAIK. A case can likely be made either way but buff spells are typically intended for something that is alive, the Tattoo Creatures (and Nazcan Line Magic) don't qualify as alive which leads me to think No.
darthauthor
Hero

Would healing spells work on a tattoo monster?

What spells that work on objects would work on a tattoo monster?

For some reason I'm thinking of Fools Gold because, bling your monster to work day!

Which reminds me, do Tattoo Monster (and tattoo animals) show up on infrared?

See Aura?
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Honestly, I wouldn't allow healing spells to work since they are geared toward living creatures, and they aren't alive (though might retain some form of Bio-Regen as the creatures are supposed to have identical abilities to the real deal).

Spells that work on objects I could see working, but honestly likely are going to be a case-by-case basis if I would allow it since there is little guidance here. Given the ambiguity here if you as the GM like an idea for a combo go for it, if you don't like the idea don't allow it (just be consistent in terms of use, and if you change your mind make sure the players know and why)

As far as different sensory regimes (IR, Aura, etc). Technically everything has an Aura per text/RAW. As for other sensory types it's hard to say and really left up to the GM how they might appear in different parts of the EM spectrum (of which visible light is only one part). The T-creatures are made of ectoplasm(-like substance), and psychic ectoplasm is visible to IR (other parts of the EM spectrum aren't addressed) so this stuff likely is to.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

darthauthor wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 2:00 pm Would healing spells work on a tattoo monster?

What spells that work on objects would work on a tattoo monster?

For some reason I'm thinking of Fools Gold because, bling your monster to work day!

Which reminds me, do Tattoo Monster (and tattoo animals) show up on infrared?

See Aura?
No.

that would be meta-magic, and there are no meta-magic options available in the optional rules that allow the changing of magic monster tattoos.
There is no rules that forbid the tattoo maker from bling'ing out the tattoo when it's being made. And since the effects look like the M tattoo on the user, if the tat is bling'ed than the effect is bling'ed also.

....indeterminate. The text does not say.

...no text that covers this. However, I'd say they'd have the same aura as the user.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Mlp7029
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Mlp7029 »

Remember the tattoo creature has max stats for that type of creature.

Return to “Guild of Magic & Psionics”