Power combinations

If Super Heroes/Heroines & Super Villains are your game, discuss them here.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

AlanGunhouse
Champion

Power combinations

Unread post by AlanGunhouse »

2 Questions at the moment.

1) in the book on page 74, it mentions combining Mimic with Shapeechanging. A friend and I were debating the interpretation. He is insisting that it permanently allows the character to copy powers like Wings, Extra Limbs, and Tentacles at will. I am stating that it only allows using such in combination with mimic, allowing an exception to the normal mimic rules that they can Shapechange while mimicking other powers with physical manifestations. I would like to know which is correct.

2) I remember from somewhere that powers that multiply the Speed attribute, such as Blur, do not work to multiply speed powers such as Sonic Speed. Am I remembering correctly, and if so where is it stated?
TJ_1976
Explorer

Re: Power combinations

Unread post by TJ_1976 »

AlanGunhouse wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2023 10:09 am 2 Questions at the moment.

1) in the book on page 74, it mentions combining Mimic with Shapeechanging. A friend and I were debating the interpretation. He is insisting that it permanently allows the character to copy powers like Wings, Extra Limbs, and Tentacles at will. I am stating that it only allows using such in combination with mimic, allowing an exception to the normal mimic rules that they can Shapechange while mimicking other powers with physical manifestations. I would like to know which is correct.

2) I remember from somewhere that powers that multiply the Speed attribute, such as Blur, do not work to multiply speed powers such as Sonic Speed. Am I remembering correctly, and if so where is it stated?
We both know that's not what I said, I said it allows them to Keep hold of the power (powerset), without the time limit due to under shapechanger says the changes perm under its description. Choosing another power or set of them would release the previous, that's what the argument was. Don't pick and choose there guy, give the full debate.

In Comics this is similar to Rogue taking Captain Marvels powers and keeping them for a long time, without the stealing aspect.

"It is wise to use different abilities in tandem to beneficial effect, whenever possible." ~Kevin Siembieda
He who is without paitence is the gravediggers friend.
AlanGunhouse
Champion

Unread post by AlanGunhouse »

In either case, I am trying to find out how the combo is actually intended to work...do you get to keep the change until you change to something else...can you change at will...or does it go away once you can no longer mimic...or something else?
Daniel Stoker
Knight
Comment: Non Impediti Ratione Cogitationis

Unread post by Daniel Stoker »

I think you could change the wings etc with shapechanger, but as soon as the Mimic duration runs out you're not going to have nearly enough lift to fly with them anymore. Though based on the Shapechanger description in the HU2 book you shouldn't be able to keep the wings at all without the Mimic power.

Daniel Stoker
Judaism - More Old School than either Christianity or Islam.
fbdaury
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by fbdaury »

Claws, fur, fangs, other minor adjustments to the body are possible (as mentioned in the power description) even without Mimic but any physical adjustments not possible for the Shapechanger power (like wings and extra limbs) only last as long as the mimicked powers are held, which would be the normal 2d4 minutes after leaving the 60ft. radius of the power (since 100ft. is mentioned once and 60ft. multiple times, I presume that is the correct radius of effect for the power).

Return to “Heroes Unlimited™”