Whykin

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

kirnos
D-Bee

Whykin

Unread post by kirnos »

Hi everyone.

So I was doing inventory of my rpg books, and got to browse my Rifts books after a long time. Don't know why but I began to think about Whykin, and checking to see what information has been published about it, which is not much, and got a couple question nagging me:

-Is the info on the RUE, Juicer Uprising and Aftermath the only information where any kind of description is available? Am I missing anything new?

-How it is possible that the main counselor and general of the king of this d-bee hater city is a cyber knight? Could be a fallen one, but in no place says anything remotely close to that.
Grazzik
Adventurer

Re: Whykin

Unread post by Grazzik »

1. Check out:
- Merc SB has a blurb on the Kingsdale/Whykin conflict (pg 37/38)
- Merc Town SB, a few interesting tidbits there.
- Whykin is mentioned in the Merc Ops SB as a buyer of a couple types of landmines from NG (reprinted in WB33).
- In WB33, Whykinites (Whykinians? Whykons?) have settled in Escanaba (pg 46) and NGMI credits are accepted in Whykin (pg 23). That said, Universal Credits are the currency of choice and Black Credits are sometimes accepted (WB14 pg 18)
- In WB34, avg life expectancy in Whykin is 50-60 years (pg 38)
- In WB35, Whykin has access to the Lazlo database of demons and deevils (pg 189)
- They use cybernetics to neutralize mages (Bionics SB pg 49)

2. Maybe as a trusted but embattled advisor, the CK is the only thing preventing them from joining the CS by providing a countervailing opinion to CS propaganda and is a moderating influence on how human-like DBees are treated? Or, the CK could be a Champion and see DBees as a valid threat and still remain within the Code. Not every human supremist community is maniacally genocidal like the CS; sometimes it can be in a form of simply denying rights, exclusion, tiered society, "benevolent" domination, or slavery.
kirnos
D-Bee

Unread post by kirnos »

Grazzik wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2023 5:23 am 1. Check out:
- Merc SB has a blurb on the Kingsdale/Whykin conflict (pg 37/38)
- Merc Town SB, a few interesting tidbits there.
- Whykin is mentioned in the Merc Ops SB as a buyer of a couple types of landmines from NG (reprinted in WB33).
- In WB33, Whykinites (Whykinians? Whykons?) have settled in Escanaba (pg 46) and NGMI credits are accepted in Whykin (pg 23). That said, Universal Credits are the currency of choice and Black Credits are sometimes accepted (WB14 pg 18)
- In WB34, avg life expectancy in Whykin is 50-60 years (pg 38)
- In WB35, Whykin has access to the Lazlo database of demons and deevils (pg 189)
- They use cybernetics to neutralize mages (Bionics SB pg 49)

2. Maybe as a trusted but embattled advisor, the CK is the only thing preventing them from joining the CS by providing a countervailing opinion to CS propaganda and is a moderating influence on how human-like DBees are treated? Or, the CK could be a Champion and see DBees as a valid threat and still remain within the Code. Not every human supremist community is maniacally genocidal like the CS; sometimes it can be in a form of simply denying rights, exclusion, tiered society, "benevolent" domination, or slavery.
1- Humm, knew there were tidbits on other books, but mostly about "you can buy this weapon at..." or something similar. But that detail about the life expectancy andd the settlers at Escanaba sounds promising.

2- Reading again the cyber knight Code, doesn't seem possible. Some of the tenets are to fight for freedom, to respect all live, protect the weak and innocent, etc... So doesn't sound like accepting xenophobia and slavery are what a cyber knight would do. Either it is one of those mistakes that were made on the original rulebook that never got revised or there is something more there, perhaps as you said, he is trying by all means to make Whykin more accepting of d-bees and be more open, but the CS propaganda and agents are doing a better job. Or he is just a fallen cyber knight, not evil, just not following the Code anymore, perhaps hardened by personal experiences.
Dustin Fireblade
Knight

Unread post by Dustin Fireblade »

According to the Black Market SB
the BM runs circles around the local law enforcement of Whykin.

Whykin uses D-Bee slaves (think that's mentioned elsewhere)

As far as the Cyber-Knight goes, well look at Reids Rangers and Lazarious. Another option could be that Erin Tarn never actually visited Whykin and it's some other type of OCC.

I had about 75 pages wrote up for a Rifter submission on Whykin, or possibly just use as a "netbook" but lost it.
Mogge
D-Bee

Unread post by Mogge »

Dustin, perhaps that something you would like to write again to send in for the late Rifter or the one after that. Think most people here would absolutely LOVE some indepth information regarding Whykin.
I think Kingsdale/Whykin/MerctownEl Dorado area is one of the most interesting one!!
Of course I would understand if you did not feel to redo your work yet again... :)
darthauthor
Hero

Unread post by darthauthor »

I agree
kirnos
D-Bee

Unread post by kirnos »

Agreed. I think it is a perfect area to begin a campaign, as it has a big enough city for players to use as a base (Kingsdale), the presence of the CS on the area, plus kind of close to interesting areas like the Magic Zone or Pecos.
darthauthor
Hero

Dustin Fireblade,

I think I would have like to have read what you have written.

I have great sympathy for having lost writing.

Whykin and Kingsdale are excellent source book ideas and adventure areas to explore
Blue_Lion
Knight

Unread post by Blue_Lion »

Dustin Fireblade wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2023 7:07 pm

As far as the Cyber-Knight goes, well look at Reids Rangers and Lazarious. Another option could be that Erin Tarn never actually visited Whykin and it's some other type of OCC.
The SoT cyberknights book had fallen cyber knights. Basically they do not loose their powers for breaking the code, and their are corrupt Cyber Kinghts.
While most cyber knights follow the code there are ones that do not.
The Clones are coming you shall all be replaced, but who is to say you have not been replaced already.

Master of Type-O and the obvios.

Soon my army oc clones and winged-monkies will rule the world but first, must .......

I may debate canon and RAW, but the games I run are highly house ruled. So I am not debating for how I play but about how the system works as written.
darthauthor
Hero

I think of Cyber Knights as a lot like Jedi.
They don't lose their powers if they cross over to the Dark Side
Dustin Fireblade
Knight

Unread post by Dustin Fireblade »

Blue_Lion wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2023 6:53 pm
Dustin Fireblade wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2023 7:07 pm

The SoT cyberknights book had fallen cyber knights. Basically they do not loose their powers for breaking the code, and their are corrupt Cyber Kinghts.
While most cyber knights follow the code there are ones that do not.
Oh yeah absolutely. From that book there was a section regarding the Cyber-Knights and Tolkeen on how the order was fractured and all that. Anyway I recall writing about that in Jasper's entry, along with his dream vision and how he came to Whykin in the first place and finally his future. I seem to recall toying with the idea of connecting him to another Fallen Knight from that book - cant recall proper name but it was the "black widow" I believe she was called. Anyway had a few idea's but I don't think I came up with anything concrete.

Anyway appreciate everyone's encouragement to go back and finishing it. Maybe one day. It's been years since I touched it, or even played Rifts at this point to be honest.

Return to “Rifts®”