Barter skill

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

HarleeKnight
Dungeon Crawler
Comment: For the White Rose!!!

Barter skill

Unread post by HarleeKnight »

Why is it restricted to Adventurers and Scholars? Is Kevin seriously saying that a Robot Pilot or a Mind Melter or every one of the various OCCs in the dozens of books can't haggle? Only those few OCCs are able to barter. It was almost a mandatory skill when I was in the military. Do GMs just ignore that less-than-brilliant choice of restrictions?
There are two kinds of people in this world... 1: Those who can extrapolate from incomplete data
mobuttu
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: Palladium fan from overseas

Re: Barter skill

Unread post by mobuttu »

That's the way Rifts is...If you don't like it, change it!
- Un blog de Rifts. My blog about our game.
- Maqui Ed. My RPG company.

I received a *Nekira Seal of Approval*...Once! :P
"always remember; the Splugorth can do anything" - everloss
Sorry for my bad English! :o
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

Adventurers are more likely to be paid in stuff, but those with a 'in demand' occupation get paid in Credits.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Hotrod
Knight

Unread post by Hotrod »

I treat it like the alignment restriction on hand-to-hand: Assassin and ignore it.
Hotrod
Author, Rifter Contributor, and Map Artist
Duty's Edge, a Rifts novel. Available as an ebook, PDF,or printed book.
Check out my maps here!
Also, check out my Instant NPC Generators!
Like what you see? There's more on my Patreon Page.
Blackwater Sniper
Explorer
Comment: The only bad character is the one you didn't put on paper.

Unread post by Blackwater Sniper »

Rifts is a lot like LIFE ... it just doesn't make sense.

Any GM can allow a character to learn any skill if they have the aptitude.
So what if I don’t know what apocalypse means? It’s not the end of the world!
Orin J.
Adventurer

Unread post by Orin J. »

always thought it was left in as a typo.
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Zer0 Kay »

I have but one... two questions. Can one use the barter skill in Bartertown and who runs Bartertown?
:thwak: you some might think you're a :clown: but you're cool in book :ok: :thwak:--Mecha-Viper
BEST IDEA EVER!!! -- The Galactus Kid
Holy crapy, you're Zer0 Kay?! --TriaxTech
Zer0 Kay is my hero. --Atramentus
The Zer0 of Kay, who started this fray,
Kept us laughing until the end. -The Fifth Business (In loving Memory of the teleport thread)
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Zer0 Kay »

I figure it is like all the other skills. Everyone else can do it they're just not good at it. Any discounts received without it are likely cuz the merchant wants to give you a discount. While with the skill you know things like the items actual worth, what the merchant probably purchased it for and how to intimidate the merchant. Without the skill you could use worth identification skills and intimidation skills to talk an unfriendly, unwilling, greedy merchant into reducing prices. But anyone can talk a friendly or grateful merchant into a reasonable discount.
:thwak: you some might think you're a :clown: but you're cool in book :ok: :thwak:--Mecha-Viper
BEST IDEA EVER!!! -- The Galactus Kid
Holy crapy, you're Zer0 Kay?! --TriaxTech
Zer0 Kay is my hero. --Atramentus
The Zer0 of Kay, who started this fray,
Kept us laughing until the end. -The Fifth Business (In loving Memory of the teleport thread)
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Unread post by ShadowLogan »

I would ignore the side note in the skill description and treat the OCC Related and Secondary Skill lists as overriding the note. While previous books might be an issue, with RUE they did take the time to update the respective lists and (I didn't check every OCC but the Secondary Skills list I did) the skill is available. Pre-RUE books I would just treat it as being restricted to the Secondary Skills list as that is now superseded by RUE (prior to that the RMB-era would just be the OCC Related list but w/o bonus, RUE uses a universal list).
Grazzik
Adventurer

Unread post by Grazzik »

To each their own, but I don't like the universal list and use the pre-RUE method of bonus-less OCC Related skills instead. The skill limitations of the universal list make no sense in many respects. If a PC has the aptitude to learn something as a OCC Related skill, they should be able to learn the same skill on an informal basis with no bonuses to reflect that reduced educational investment. Heck, if must, toss on a learning penalty modifier.

So, when it comes to skills, the only hard limitation I typically impose when I GM is physical limitations - can't juggle with no arms. Other limitations, such as alignment or cultural limits, depend on context. A principled person could learn HtH Assassin and even excel at it, however the player has to roleplay properly and not use any moves that would be dishonorable, unethical or immoral - or suffer loss of XP, changes in alignment, penalty-inducing moments of doubt, or other creative consequences.

Barter should be fair game for everyone.

Return to “Rifts®”