101 Atlantis campaign ideas

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

EltonRobb
Wanderer

101 Atlantis campaign ideas

Unread post by EltonRobb »

Looking for ideas for an Atlantis campaign (using Savage Worlds). It doesn't have to be One hundred one ideas, but I thought that would get the juices going. I'd like some ideas to get my creative juices flowing.
darthauthor
Hero

Re: 101 Atlantis campaign ideas

Unread post by darthauthor »

Alantis is a HUGE continent.

Typically humans and most humanoid D-Bees are not going to be there except as slave or something.

1st Idea:
Escaped T-men hiding in the wilderness of Atlantis.
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Unread post by ShadowLogan »

If you have access to "Rifts World Book 22: Free Quebec" (between pg162-7) has a the "Old Bones Rumor Mill" Generation tables. It would take some work to adapt them to a new location (such as Atlantis), but it can be done I think which could give you lots of combinations to work with.

If you don't already have them, I would suggest picking up "World Book 2: Atlantis" and "World Book 21: Sypn Dimensional Market" as they both flesh out the location (I don't follow Savage Worlds Rifts) but a few ideas come to mind:
-Party is tasked with cleanup of potential Vampire sightings/incidents (per WB21 they are on the land mass), weather that is for Atlantis or the Vampires...
-"Underground Railroad" (either helping escaping slaves or as the slaves or as those hunting the escaped slaves)
-they are slaves let loose into the Preserves and told if they make it to X-location they win their freedom, but if so-so captures them
-Gladiatorial Arena Matches (spectators, participants, acquire participants, etc)
-Asylum (used as test subjects, escapees, recover escapees)
-"Industrial Espionage" (between shops, "foreign" powers gathering intel or seeking to acquire hardware)
-Slave Rebellion/Revolt
-True Atlantean operation to discover the identity of the Sunjai (who are allied with Splyn)
EltonRobb
Wanderer

darthauthor wrote:Alantis is a HUGE continent.

Typically humans and most humanoid D-Bees are not going to be there except as slave or something.

1st Idea:
Escaped T-men hiding in the wilderness of Atlantis.

Nice idea.

ShadowLogan wrote:If you have access to "Rifts World Book 22: Free Quebec" (between pg162-7) has a the "Old Bones Rumor Mill" Generation tables. It would take some work to adapt them to a new location (such as Atlantis), but it can be done I think which could give you lots of combinations to work with.

If you don't already have them, I would suggest picking up "World Book 2: Atlantis" and "World Book 21: Sypn Dimensional Market" as they both flesh out the location . . .

I actually have these two books, but they are in storage right now. I don't have Free Quebec, though. I'll get a copy at the end of the month.

This is a campaign for my wife. After the New West campaign she wants to play in an Atlantis campaign :D . We will be using Savage Worlds as the game system. (It's less labor intensive than the base Palladium System).

. . . but a few ideas come to mind:
-Party is tasked with cleanup of potential Vampire sightings/incidents (per WB21 they are on the land mass), weather that is for Atlantis or the Vampires...
-"Underground Railroad" (either helping escaping slaves or as the slaves or as those hunting the escaped slaves)
-they are slaves let loose into the Preserves and told if they make it to X-location they win their freedom, but if so-so captures them
-Gladiatorial Arena Matches (spectators, participants, acquire participants, etc)
-Asylum (used as test subjects, escapees, recover escapees)
-"Industrial Espionage" (between shops, "foreign" powers gathering intel or seeking to acquire hardware)
-Slave Rebellion/Revolt
-True Atlantean operation to discover the identity of the Sunjai (who are allied with Splyn)

These are good too.
Grazzik
Adventurer

Unread post by Grazzik »

As mentioned, Atlantis is a continent - as big as Europe. Adventures in the wilderness would have a very distinct favor different from adventures in the cities. As such, I've always wondered what would evolve over the course of 300 years since the coming of the Rifts.

First, humans have a knack for being EVERYWHERE. Seriously, the megaverse is rotten with them. Why would a chunk of land on their home planet be any different? People who escaped danger on land and took to the sea from Europe, Africa, and the Americas would eventually run into this land mass. So, there could be a very interesting blend of social or cultural influences. Advanced human communities would eventually go looking for resources there. Magical communities would rift or teleport over doing the same. People randomly dumped there by Rifts would settle down where they could. Slaves might earn slightly better conditions as they are elevated to pets. Humans of all kinds could be recruited or enslaved as disposable assets in petty wars or border disputes between minions, only to find chances of carving out their own place in the Atlantean wilderness. Think North America 1500-1800... lots of change and growth happened. Same here... just with Splynncryth and the Splugorth's minions trying to control it as much as they can.

Second, PB sometimes describe the major powers (Splugorth, NGR, CS, etc.) in such a way that it comes across as monolithic all powerful entities. They aren't... Burbs, anyone? So, the same can be said about the Splugorth in Atlantis outside the cities, which dominate only the eastern third of the continent anyway. I could see most of the continent dotted with furtive communities of all kinds. Some under the total dominion of the Splugorth (perhaps for all the PPE from worship), some slave/vassal states to the Gargoyles or Kittani, some independent due to a resource or power, some hidden. Whatever people want to say, the Splugorth are not all powerful or all knowing.

Third, as with every empire, the further you get from a central power the more practical life seems to get. I wouldn't be surprised if there are plenty of minions running their own operations well beyond the city borders of Splynn that feed taxes, bribes and tribute back to the powers that be in exchange for a bit of unsupervised entrepreneurial adventure. This may allow them to indulge in their own local laws or customs, perhaps locally elevating humans to a very low rung minion group even if it is just to avoid the headache of slave rebellions. Of course, it could be taken away on a whim if the venture is too successful, but that's the risk you take with any empire.

Fourth, never forget the religious zeal of those that worship Splynncryth. These could be the puritans or crusaders of Splynn society, devoted to bursting every balloon and slaughtering every heretic, minion or otherwise. Speaking of which, the Dragonwright might have a few issues with such zealots encroaching on their turf.

So, while I wouldn't envision a human power bloc on the continent, I could see a lot of opportunity for an adventure group (particularly a mix of humans and non-humans) as long as they know their place in Splugorth society (near the very bottom just above "food") and navigate the very narrow paths to fortune and glory. Kinda like a dbee party navigating CS territory, except where the CS counterparts could eat you.

Some adventure ideas:
- There is the local equivalent to the Pecos raiders harassing outlying Splugorth communities. Maybe a few renegade minions or undercover spies thrown in to the mix. Track them, fight them, or join them?
- Rumors are that there are tunnels leading down, down, down to a water-filled cavern where there is something... titanic?
- Tolkeenites have set up shop to hatch a plot for revenge and are being bankrolled (officially or unofficially?) by a High Lord
- A tribe of lizardmen have taken it upon themselves to convert a flock of gurgoyles to Dragonwright. It ain't going so well...
- The charm offensive. Splynncryth is off world dealing with a rebelling trade planet in another dimension and a Kitanni governor of a minor city has decided to offer free passage and temporary open relations with the CS, NGR, Lazlo, etc. to convince them that cooperation is better than competition. The governor is organizing a World's Fair to showcase local Earth innovations in peaceful art, science, and technology. The intelligentsia of all nations are invited to participate. Is it a scam or on the level? How do the authorities in Splynn react? It's a great chance for gathering intelligence for all concerned.
EltonRobb
Wanderer

Grazzik wrote:Some adventure ideas:
- There is the local equivalent to the Pecos raiders harassing outlying Splugorth communities. Maybe a few renegade minions or undercover spies thrown in to the mix. Track them, fight them, or join them?
- Rumors are that there are tunnels leading down, down, down to a water-filled cavern where there is something... titanic?
- Tolkeenites have set up shop to hatch a plot for revenge and are being bankrolled (officially or unofficially?) by a High Lord
- A tribe of lizardmen have taken it upon themselves to convert a flock of gurgoyles to Dragonwright. It ain't going so well...
- The charm offensive. Splynncryth is off world dealing with a rebelling trade planet in another dimension and a Kitanni governor of a minor city has decided to offer free passage and temporary open relations with the CS, NGR, Lazlo, etc. to convince them that cooperation is better than competition. The governor is organizing a World's Fair to showcase local Earth innovations in peaceful art, science, and technology. The intelligentsia of all nations are invited to participate. Is it a scam or on the level? How do the authorities in Splynn react? It's a great chance for gathering intelligence for all concerned.

Sounds like some good ideas.

Don't worry, I read your whole post. :-D
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Unread post by ShadowLogan »

Don't feel you need to get WB22:FQ just for the table. The Rumor Mill table basically amounts to rolling randomly for the values of Who, What, When, Where, Why, How and accuracy of the Rumor. Since you have to adapt it anyway for a new location, you just need to start assigning values to each of the 5Ws and H.
Grazzik
Adventurer

Unread post by Grazzik »

EltonRobb wrote:Don't worry, I read your whole post. :-D
Sorry, kinda got away from me... :oops:

ShadowLogan (emphasis added) wrote:The Rumor Mill table basically amounts to rolling randomly for the values of Who, What, When, Where, Why, How and accuracy of the Rumor.
Great mechanism for all GMs to keep in mind. :ok:
SolCannibal
Champion

Unread post by SolCannibal »

Grazzik wrote:First, humans have a knack for being EVERYWHERE. Seriously, the megaverse is rotten with them. Why would a chunk of land on their home planet be any different? People who escaped danger on land and took to the sea from Europe, Africa, and the Americas would eventually run into this land mass. So, there could be a very interesting blend of social or cultural influences. Advanced human communities would eventually go looking for resources there. Magical communities would rift or teleport over doing the same. People randomly dumped there by Rifts would settle down where they could. Slaves might earn slightly better conditions as they are elevated to pets. Humans of all kinds could be recruited or enslaved as disposable assets in petty wars or border disputes between minions, only to find chances of carving out their own place in the Atlantean wilderness. Think North America 1500-1800... lots of change and growth happened. Same here... just with Splynncryth and the Splugorth's minions trying to control it as much as they can.

Not only humans, but a crapload of varied DBee or monster races dropped in the continent amidst the mayhem of the Chaos Earth period much like everywhere else after the cataclysm jumpstarted. In fact WB2 seems to imply the Splugorth only arrived a whole century after the continent's return and while it states no major population or signs of intelligent life were found, that's indeed plenty of time for beings stranded by random rifts, untamed nexii of back then or the all too frequent ley line storms from the Demon Sea to settle down and carve all kinds of niches or communities. Who knows, maybe a fraction of some of the allies, vassals and tributaries of the Splugorth could have been in the continent before its current masters came in and took control by trade or force.

Grazzik wrote:Second, PB sometimes describe the major powers (Splugorth, NGR, CS, etc.) in such a way that it comes across as monolithic all powerful entities. They aren't... Burbs, anyone? So, the same can be said about the Splugorth in Atlantis outside the cities, which dominate only the eastern third of the continent anyway. I could see most of the continent dotted with furtive communities of all kinds. Some under the total dominion of the Splugorth (perhaps for all the PPE from worship), some slave/vassal states to the Gargoyles or Kittani, some independent due to a resource or power, some hidden. Whatever people want to say, the Splugorth are not all powerful or all knowing.

Not so simple, according to the books themselves. Remember, Splynn personally rules 3 other planets with a few billions of kydian troops at his beck and call. That's a lot of "manpower" to use if one feels the need to. Main reason its keeps to Atlantis is because that is much more manageable than trying to control all possible points of entry in the whole mess that is Rifts Earth. In fact it's outright stated the reason the western part of the continent is undeveloped and mostly uninhabitated is because the Splugorth prefers to keep it as a nature & hunting preserve to make the most of the beings and things randomly dropped in the area by the Demon Sea's action - in fact the Conservators and some of the forces under them serve to actively hunt, destroy and capture any groups of escaped slaves or dimensionally stranded beings of interest. So while indeed possible, furtivity and secrecy are key. While not omnipotent or all-knowing the Splugorth are powerful and vigilant in their own ways.

Grazzik wrote:Fourth, never forget the religious zeal of those that worship Splynncryth. These could be the puritans or crusaders of Splynn society, devoted to bursting every balloon and slaughtering every heretic, minion or otherwise. Speaking of which, the Dragonwright might have a few issues with such zealots encroaching on their turf.

True. While Splugorth Witches are mentioned in passing as an actual thing the book seems bizarrely silent on their role & status in Atlantis - while the "Hierarchy of Splugorth Minions" table in page 43 has a "witches" entry, the fact it stands on the same rung as "Tattoo Men' (prize slaves) or Gargoyles & Supernatural Allies (acquaintances & pawns) makes me think it means witches from other supernatural intelligences, because the idea of any random Kittani, Maxi Men or visiting dragon having greater status than an individual with a supernatural link to Splynn itself or the Splugorth ruler of some other dimension or world makes little to no sense.

As an aside and since you cited Dragonwright - wouldn't it be possible for other supernatural beings to establish their own competing cults/power bases in a more limited scale perhaps? Some of the critters described in the Conversion Book like Sowki, Goqua & Death Weaver Spiders (among others) have a taste for this kind of gig, if memory tricks me not.

Return to “Rifts®”