2023 - what's the Nightbane world like?

For the discussion of Nightbane™ and its supplements.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

No change - setting still set in early 2000s
17%
Same as today, different names, horror reduced to undercurrent
No votes
Same as today, different names, horror normalized
17%
Society stalled circa early 2000s, horror normalized
33%
Society stalled circa early 2000s, horror in your face
No votes
Society regressed, oppressed masses, horror in your face
No votes
Society fractured in survival mode
No votes
Society gone, only survival mode (Dead Reign-esque)
No votes
Things are bad, total Nightlord domination
No votes
Things are good, but still total Nightlord domination
17%
Other - comment to share
17%

Total votes: 6

Grazzik
Adventurer

Unread post by Grazzik »

Looking to see how others have shaped the setting (or not) as the years have passed.

Any ideas on how things shaped up outside US also welcome - did things take a different path for the Nightlords elsewhere?

How have real life events worked their way into your take on the setting - wars, pandemics, political shifts like Brexit, natural disasters, economic booms and busts, etc.?

Any major safe zones for Nightbane ('spawn ;) ) emerge?
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants
Comment: "Your inferiority complex might be justified."
Location: Lurking on rooftops like a proper gargoyle should, in and around Tacoma, WA.

Re: 2023 - what's the Nightbane world like?

Unread post by Stone Gargoyle »

I just leave the setting as presented in the books. I have playd it under other GMs where the Nightlords dominate though.
"SG, you are a limitless fountain of Butt-Saving Advice. You Rock, Stone and Concrete." ~ TrumbachD
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

Given that the invasion would have been 30 years in the past.
And given the overwhelming force, numbers, advantages etc...
I would imagine that the world is basically dead.
Its like a bleaker Nightlands. Empty cities prowled by a few feral Dopplegangers and the ocasional human or nightbane survivor all trying to hide from the increasingly desperate Night Princes and their forces seeking a meal.
I imagine the Nightlords would have released biological weapons and resorted to chemical attacks, both via nation states and terrorists.
Sort of Dead Reign meets Fallout meets Darksouls.
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Grazzik
Adventurer

Unread post by Grazzik »

eliakon wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2023 1:40 am Given that the invasion would have been 30 years in the past.
And given the overwhelming force, numbers, advantages etc...
I would imagine that the world is basically dead.
Its like a bleaker Nightlands. Empty cities prowled by a few feral Dopplegangers and the ocasional human or nightbane survivor all trying to hide from the increasingly desperate Night Princes and their forces seeking a meal.
I imagine the Nightlords would have released biological weapons and resorted to chemical attacks, both via nation states and terrorists.
Sort of Dead Reign meets Fallout meets Darksouls.
As you say, very bleak. Somewhere between the heavy inevitability of Dead Reign and the supernatural chaos of Chaos Earth. The books say it should take a long long time to get to this nightmare state, but I agree that it could be achievable in thirty years with how the basic premise of the setting was set up. Problem is the action is relegated to survival as the world is too far gone, even if there are still safe zones, and survival games are long term near unwinnable. The most likely viable win scenarios for PCs is finding a way to another world/dimension, either by magic or astral travel, or time travel to try change the past. Either way, those can be pretty hefty campaigns.

Return to “Nightbane®”