The Patrol

Dimension Books & nothing but..

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

jaymz
Palladin
Comment: Yeah yeah yeah just give me my damn XP already :)

The Patrol

Unread post by jaymz »

THE PATROL

The Liberty class battle-cruiser was the first vessel designed and built by Space Station Liberty. She was quite the ship being well over armed for her size and as well armoured and shielded too.

This was her shakedown cruise; patrolling the outer edge of the area claimed by Space Station Liberty. as such it had been relatively uneventful since life in the Thundercloud Galaxy was relatively quiet in most parts of space. It was planet-side in various locations that was a mess and bustle of activity.

"Captain...we have a contact. 265 Mk 37. Distance 3 light-years."

Captain Tabyth Sybatine looked to her sensor ops officer "Have they detected us at all?"

"Unknown Ma'am", the sensor officer replied.

"Comms, hail them. Standard rotation of common tongues. Helm, prepare for a micro jump to within 200 000km of the contact"

The comm-tech and helm officer both nodded and answered in succession "Aye captain".

She sat in her command chair pondering. It was probably just a prospector or some one looking to claim a new world hoping to find their big "score" and retire ridiculously wealthy or sum-such.

"No reply at all Ma'am" the comm-tech spoke out.

Tabyth leaned forward and leaned on her knees. "I guess we should see what our visitors want then eh? Helm, make the jump"

"Aye Captain" the helm officer responded without looking at her.

Within moments the viewer showed the stars stretch to lines and then virtually disappeared altogether. It would about 3 minutes before reversion.

"Shall scramble fighters ma'am?" asked the tactical officer.

"Not yet Jorgus but give the order for the ready one squadron to prepared...and raise the shields upon reversion." Jorgus nodded recognition of the orders.

She waited, as they all did. The ship is untested really but she was well built and Tabyth was sure she would perform her duty just as she was meant to do.

The time seemed to drag on until she heard the Helm speak "reversion in 3-2-1..." The stars reappeared and just like that they were back in normal space cruising along.

"Sensors?"

The sensor operator was already looking over incoming data as she replied "Two contacts ma'am. The second must have been in the shadow of the first. Data incoming indicates a pair of Kreeghor Smasher class cruisers..."

"Kreeghor? What the blazes are they doing in this part of the galaxy..." She sighed. "Comms, open a channel and engage the universal translator"

"Whenever you're ready Captain". Tabyth smiled slightly. This crew was acting and reacting just as they were trained and that was like well oiled machinery.

"Attention Kreeghor vessels. This is Captain Tabyth Sybatine of the LSS Freedom,Space Station Liberty Defense Force. We respectfully request you change course as you are now in Space Station Liberty Space. Please reply"

A few moments passed before a reply eventually came "We are Kreeghor. we go where we please and refuse to recognize Space Station Liberty's claim to this area of space..."

"Captain, the lead ship is charging it's main gun..." the sensor operator calmly spoke out

"So that's how they want this....alright" She shook her head in annoyance. "Guess we get to test this ship out today."

"They're firing." The kreeghor ship fired it's main gun. It was a powerful weapon by most standards but the Freedom was one of the most technologically advanced and powerful ships in the 3 galaxies.

The beam lanced across space striking full on into the shields of the Freedom.

"Consider that a warning shot" came from the Kreeghor through the comms.

“Report”. Tabyth waited only seconds before Ops reported. “Shields down 7%. No damage.”

She looked at the viewer and vessels displayed. "Tactical, prepare to fire triple volleys from each main turret at the lead Kreeghor vessel in rapid succession. Helm, turn to port 20 degrees." Her officers responded as soon as their orders were completed. "Fire." Five triple beam blasts flew across space in sequence mere milliseconds after each other and in moments impacted on the lead Kreeghor ship. The target ship's shields were visibly impacted by the two lead blasts, then gone as the follow up blasts slammed into the it's hull. "Sensors, report" Tabyth barked. "Kreeghor shields down. Hull has sustained what appears to be significant damage and multiple minor hull breaches." She nodded he acknowledgement. "Tactical, another 5 turret volley. This time simultaneously. Fire when ready". A moment later a flurry of energy beams traced away from the Freedom and within a few seconds slammed into the Kreeghor vessel which then signalled its destruction by exploding.

"Comms, open a channel" The comm-tech nodded that is was open and ready. "Remaining Kreeghor vessel. Consider that OUR warning. Our follow up will NOT be so kind." With that Tabyth made the motion to cut the comm channel.

"Captain..." spoke the sensor operator. "Remaining Kreeghor vessel is reversing course and appears to powering up it's FTL drive"

"Good." She turned to appraise how her crew looked and she smiled. "Seems our ship has passed her first test with flying colours. Sensors, continue tracking the Kreeghor vessel until it is out of range. Helm, return us to our patrol route where we left off once the enemy has left the area. Comms, contact LDF Command and inform them I wish to speak to the Admiral about this." After a trio of "Aye Captain" she nodded. "Good work everyone. Jorgus, you have the Conn. Have all departments submit reports on performance during this incident. I'm sure Command would like to see them. I'll be in my ready room." And with that she left the bridge.
I am very opinionated. Yes I rub people the wrong way but at the end of the day I just enjoy good hard discussion and will gladly walk away agreeing to not agree :D

Email - jlaflamme7521@hotmail.com, Facebook - Jaymz LaFlamme, Robotech.com - Icerzone

\m/
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Re: The Patrol

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

If this is a Robotech ship this should of been posted in the Robotech forum.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
jaymz
Palladin
Comment: Yeah yeah yeah just give me my damn XP already :)

Unread post by jaymz »

It's not nor is this space station liberty.

I've posted previously about the station. Also the reference to the thundercloud specifically as well 3 Galaxies in general puts it here.
I am very opinionated. Yes I rub people the wrong way but at the end of the day I just enjoy good hard discussion and will gladly walk away agreeing to not agree :D

Email - jlaflamme7521@hotmail.com, Facebook - Jaymz LaFlamme, Robotech.com - Icerzone

\m/
taalismn
Priest

Unread post by taalismn »

That's the thing about real time sensor feedback over LIGHT YEAR ranges, plus FTL speeds of 4-5 light years/hour....suddenly distances of 3 light years which would be "It will take us three hundred years to get to Alpha Centauri at best speed; better pack a lunch' are reduced to "He's coming right at us and going to take rip our side rear view mirrors off' close.
-------------
"Trouble rather the Tiger in his Lair,
Than the Sage among his Books,
For all the Empires and Kingdoms,
The Armies and Works that you hold Dear,
Are to him but the Playthings of the Moment,
To be turned over with the Flick of a Finger,
And the Turning of a Page"

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------

Return to “Rifts®: Dimension Books”