The ORC

For talk about all things Palladium past, present, & future.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Diamond Spear
D-Bee

The ORC

Unread post by Diamond Spear »

Will Palladium be releasing its books under the ORC (Open RPG Creative License) going forward? If not, why not?
NMI
OLD ONE

Re: The ORC

Unread post by NMI »

Palladium has never used an Open Gaming License of any kind and continues to avoid it. The "why's" are numerous.
"Freedom is the recognition that no single person, no single authority or government has a monopoly on the truth, but that every individual life is infinitely precious, that every one of us put on this world has been put there for a reason and has something to offer."
Megaversal Ambassador Coordinator
My GoFund Me - Help Me Walk Again
Diamond Spear
D-Bee

You say the “whys” are numerous, can you expand on that please? OGLs have been the greatest thing for the industry since its creation. Without them it’s debatable if the hobby would be as big as it is today. And with respect to Palladium specifically, as much as we love it we all know what a mess their release schedule is. If third party publishers were able to put out product, interest in the game (and thus sales of both core books and back catalogue) would soar. By avoiding publishing under an OGL like the ORC Palladium is limiting its reach.
NMI
OLD ONE

Unread post by NMI »

"Freedom is the recognition that no single person, no single authority or government has a monopoly on the truth, but that every individual life is infinitely precious, that every one of us put on this world has been put there for a reason and has something to offer."
Diamond Spear
D-Bee

That’s a link to a seventeen year old topic on why Palladium won’t do a D20 conversion. It has absolutely zero to do with the question about Palladium publishing under an OGL. Can you please explain the point you were going for? I can’t see it.
NMI
OLD ONE

Unread post by NMI »

Your best bet to get an official answer is to either call or write a letter to the main office. I will though let them know of this topic via email and leave it up to them to respond.
The Dark Elf
Rifter® Contributer
Comment: "So gentlemen, are you prepared to open your minds and travel to worlds hitherto undreamed of?"

Unread post by The Dark Elf »

They answered this in one of the weekly updates I almost sure. It was definitely this year, but you'll have to do the trawling.
Rifter 52 Cannibal Magic
Rifter 55 The Ancestral Mystic P.C.C.
Rifter 59 The Lopanic Games adventure "The Lion, the Ditch & the Warlock". Illustrations to this adventure can be found here.
Rifter 71 & 72 Double Issue Ninjas & Superspies adventure "On a Wing & a Prayer"
Rifter 80 Masters Unlimited
Glistam
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: The silent thief of Rozrehxeson.

Unread post by Glistam »

The Dark Elf wrote:They answered this in one of the weekly updates I almost sure. It was definitely this year, but you'll have to do the trawling.

Sean and Kevin both made comments about the OGL and their commitment to avoid doing one themselves in the January 12, January 19, and January 20 updates in 2023. Those comments do not specifically address the Open RPG Creative (ORC) License which was announced by Paizo and rallied around by numerous other companies during WotC's proposed OGL updates.

One could read Palladium's comments about Open Gaming Licenses in those updates and infer that due to their stance and "pat on the back" foresight to never get involved with the original OGL, they will likely not even look into the ORC. While their main reason to avoid an OGL is not applicable to the ORC, they are committed to holding fast against against open gaming licenses in general and I do not expect they will look any further into the matter.

Instead they remarked in January that they were open to licensing their worlds to other games, similar to how they licensed to Savage Worlds, and remarked that they had (at that time) received inquiries from two companies about doing that.
Zerebus: "I like MDC. MDC is a hundred times better than SDC."

kiralon: "...the best way to kill an old one is to crash a moon into it."

Temporal Wizard O.C.C. update 0.8 | Rifts random encounters
New Fire magic | New Temporal magic
Grim Gulf, the Nightlands version of Century Station

Let Chaos Magic flow in your campaigns.
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Unread post by Killer Cyborg »

Glistam wrote:
The Dark Elf wrote:They answered this in one of the weekly updates I almost sure. It was definitely this year, but you'll have to do the trawling.

Sean and Kevin both made comments about the OGL and their commitment to avoid doing one themselves in the January 12, January 19, and January 20 updates in 2023. Those comments do not specifically address the Open RPG Creative (ORC) License which was announced by Paizo and rallied around by numerous other companies during WotC's proposed OGL updates.

People for nearly 2 decades:
Do you like dogs?

Palladium for nearly 2 decades:
No, we don't like dogs.

People, still:
But what about THIS dog? Do you like him?
Ain't he a cutie?

Why won't anybody answer me?

SOMEBODY answer me!?

Maybe THIS dog is different!!
Annual Best Poster of the Year Awards (2012)

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!
Curbludgeon
Hero
Comment: They/Them

Unread post by Curbludgeon »

ORC is rather more open than I think a lot of publishers would want to sign onto. PEG put out a couple of Test Drives (I think that's the name) which ain't a bad compromise. As licenses go I'm a fan of a CC-BY-NC-SA license, which is little different than the situation in most of the RPG social space save enforcing a tad more attribution.

Return to “All Things Palladium Books®”