Dog Boys hunting each other

Diabolists, Techno-Wizards & Psionicists, Oh my! All things that are Magics and Psionics in all Palladium Games.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

darthauthor
Hero

Dog Boys hunting each other

Unread post by darthauthor »

So this is a quesion about detection and sensory range.

Free Born Dog Boy hunted by a CS Dog Boy.

1. Do they show up on each others Radar? I have said this wrong. By RADAR I mean the Dog Boy's Sense Psychic and Magic Energy that has a range limit of like 400 feet or 50 feet. NOT the technological means of detecting the presence, direction, distance, and speed of aircraft.

2. As Psychic?

3. Can they hide themselves psychically?

4. IF so, do they still detect the other?

Scene/setting is a forest or someplace where trees and vegitation obscure vision to not more than 20 feet.

5. Hearing range?

6. Power of smell?

7. Can they camo the smell with wild game they have caught?

8. Do it work the same with Psi-stalkers hunting each other or Dog Boys?

I see Psi-Stalkers as having the same abilities as Dog Boys but better range and maybe quality.
A. A Psi-Stalker trying to detect a Dog Boy by way of their natural ability to Sense Psychic Beings?
B. Does a psi-stalker only detects the Dog Boy when the Dog Boy is trying to detect psychic beings?
C. Would the Psi-Stalker detect a Dog Boy who was trying to Hide themselves psionically/psychically?

9. Do Psi-stalkers become detectable, to a Dog Boys natural power of "Sense supernatural beings" while they are fighting a supernatural being in which the psi-stalker becomes an MD being because they are fighting a supernatural being?
Last edited by darthauthor on Wed Jul 05, 2023 9:04 pm, edited 3 times in total.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Re: Dog Boys hunting each other

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

1 Only if they are in vehicles that have Radar, and they are within each other's range and nether is jamming the radars.

2 Depends if your GM treats the psychic powers as part of the Character Class or as part of the Racial Powers. As I noted before elsewhere that even as far back as with the RMB DogBoys, this (dogboy) Class is mushed together with a (Psi-Hound) Race Listing without obvious separation between the two.
If all The psi powers are racial to the Psi-Hound race, ... then Yes they would sense each other so long as they both were within each-other's level detailed ranges.
3 If a psi-hound has Mask ISP & Psionics or Alter Aura, then that individual would be able to hide from sense psionics powers. You should read the psi powers and what they do.

4 Answered this in #3.
--------------------
a: hearing range is determined by the psi-hound racial stats and the breed of the Psi-Hound.
b: Sense of smell is determined by the psi-hound racial stats and the breed of the Psi-Hound.
c: yes, and mud and other wilderness survival skills. You might get Ideas by researching the real life hunting skills that do this. However, like with humans any scent hiding procedures will need to be reapplied from time to time. This would be a Wilderness survival skill roll to 1 know what will cover their own scents and 2 when to reapply the cover scent.

d: (this question needs to be reformulated because it is not clear which question it is using as context)

e: Are you asking about Psi-Stalkers? If so... No they are not.
e2: No they are SDC beings.
They do not become MDC unless they are somehow transformed into a MDC creature by mystical powers or super abilities.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

darthauthor wrote:So this is a quesion about detection and sensory range.

Free Born Dog Boy hunted by a CS Dog Boy.

1. Do they show up on each others Radar? I have said this wrong. By RADAR I mean the Dog Boy's Sense Psychic and Magic Energy that has a range limit of like 400 feet or 50 feet. NOT the technological means of detecting the presence, direction, distance, and speed of aircraft.

Yes

2. As Psychic?

Yes

3. Can they hide themselves psychically?

Only if they have the Mask ISP & Psionics or Mind Block as a seperate minor sensitive power.

4. IF so, do they still detect the other?

If using Mask ISP & Psionics or Mind Block, no

Scene/setting is a forest or someplace where trees and vegitation obscure vision to not more than 20 feet.

5. Hearing range?

Perception check vs the others prowl skil

6. Power of smell?

Roll track by scent.

7. Can they camo the smell with wild game they have caught?

Roll Camoflage skill vs other's perception check. If they don't have the camoflage skill, no.

8. Do it work the same with Psi-stalkers hunting each other or Dog Boys?

Yes

I see Psi-Stalkers as having the same abilities as Dog Boys but better range and maybe quality.

They are not the same, Dog Boys have the ability to identify what they are tracking, while Psi-Stalker's sense is not that precice, they can only tell it is supernatural but not what kind of being it is. Furthermore Dog boys can sense Creatures of Magic while Psi Stalkers can only sense supernatural beings and magic in use but not creatures of magic.

Basically flip it: Psi-stalkers have longer range, but Dog Boys have better quality.

A. A Psi-Stalker trying to detect a Dog Boy by way of their natural ability to Sense Psychic Beings?

As above

B. Does a psi-stalker only detects the Dog Boy when the Dog Boy is trying to detect psychic beings?

No, they can also sense dog boys if they're using any other minor psionic powers they may have, not just when detecting.

C. Would the Psi-Stalker detect a Dog Boy who was trying to Hide themselves psionically/psychically?

If they're using Mask ISP & Psionics or Mind Block, no.

9. Do Psi-stalkers become detectable, to a Dog Boys natural power of "Sense supernatural beings" while they are fighting a supernatural being in which the psi-stalker becomes an MD being because they are fighting a supernatural being?

No. It is not listed as a psionic ability, but a Racial one. So it isn't detectable.

--------------

You seem to be really asking if it's possible for them to "hide" themselves when using their powers, and the answer is an unequivocal no. The only possible means they have to mask themselves from each-other is if they are using a specific psionic to do so, specifically either Mask ISP & Psionics or Mind Block. Which is what they are for. If a psychic could just "hide themselves" by wanting to, these powers would have no purpose.
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
darthauthor
Hero

Wow Nekira,

Your answers are incredibly intelligent and well written.

Yes a lot of it is about hiding and detection of one hiding.

I guess I see a potential difference in whether or not a Dog Boy or Psi-stalker's power of detecting other psychics is a power in itself that is detectable as a psionic power.

Is Sense psychics the "use" of a psychic power?

Does a Dog Boy give away their presense and location by having their "sense Psychic" detection power "on" all the time?

I guess I could ask the same if it was a Dog Boy using their "sense psychic" thing on a psi-mechanic who power of "Telemechnics" is supposedly "on" all the time without ISP cost. So if Ed the psi-mechanic is reading a book and "telemchanics" power is automatically on (because it is on all the time) then a Dog Boy player or me as the GM could say a CS Dog Boy detected them because they are using their power because its on all the time.
Nekira Sudacne
Monk

darthauthor wrote:Wow Nekira,

Your answers are incredibly intelligent and well written.

Thanks! :)

Yes a lot of it is about hiding and detection of one hiding.

I guess I see a potential difference in whether or not a Dog Boy or Psi-stalker's power of detecting other psychics is a power in itself that is detectable as a psionic power.

Is Sense psychics the "use" of a psychic power?

Does a Dog Boy give away their presense and location by having their "sense Psychic" detection power "on" all the time?

I guess I could ask the same if it was a Dog Boy using their "sense psychic" thing on a psi-mechanic who power of "Telemechnics" is supposedly "on" all the time without ISP cost. So if Ed the psi-mechanic is reading a book and "telemchanics" power is automatically on (because it is on all the time) then a Dog Boy player or me as the GM could say a CS Dog Boy detected them because they are using their power because its on all the time.

Yes, Classes with always-on psi powers are indeed always-on.

Yes, this can be a weakness inherent to the class.

And yes, it is an incentive to select Mind Block as one of your sensitives of choice. But given how generally useful Mind Block is, you would probablly want to take it anyway, so it's not a major issue.
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
darthauthor
Hero

See flat wide open fighting space as unreal except in arenas and boxing rings.

Commando stealthing around, use of cover, planning a trap, preparing your battle field before your enemy arrives, setting traps these are the kind of players who deserve their one round victory.

But if the enemy survives the first round some "interesting" things can start to happen.

I was wondering about an adventure idea where a miscreant or diabloical man in Merc Town tries to make money and amuse themselves.
So one story idea is he hires new low level adventure groups (merc squads) to do a job of delivering box "X" to secret location "Y." Told some theives / hijackers are trying to steal the delivery so be on the lookout.
They are given a map and a promise of payment on delivery.

It is all a set-up.

When they get out there he has hired another group to kill the characters under the lie that the players stole his box "X." Kill the theives for stealing from me and bring the box back to me. We split the merc squads weapons and gear 30% for me.

The squad has a Dog Boy or psi-stalker in it (if not the players group the enemies).

He follows and through positioning in blind ducs, TV cameras, and invisibility he watches his favorite reality show.
After the battle and depending on the circumstances he might kill off the survivors or anyone who might start to talk with each other about who hired them.

Appearing say, "I came to warn you. Then I saw my shot and took it."

Setting is out in woods were people can't see through trees and shubbery but the players have map so everyone can see the battle ground.

The Evil villain plans to kill or pay whoever survives with the other groups stuff.

What's in the box?
A tracking device.
Maybe explosives if it is opened the wrong way or takes a hit.

If I stretch it out I hope the players figure out who the real villain is. He wins no matter who losses but only if their is a loser. Because he sure doesn't pay the losing squard if they are dead or never deliver. He just needs merc squad/adventure parties with weapons and gear to set up and a convincing sales pitch.

It is REALLY about setting up a battleground were the players have the excuse to fight while they have a map or in a place they know.
Come to think of it, I might need to make up some tech thing like a headsup display optic system that lets each player know where the other players are to explain how they know where their figure on the map is.
Nekira Sudacne
Monk

darthauthor wrote:See flat wide open fighting space as unreal except in arenas and boxing rings.

Commando stealthing around, use of cover, planning a trap, preparing your battle field before your enemy arrives, setting traps these are the kind of players who deserve their one round victory.

But if the enemy survives the first round some "interesting" things can start to happen.

I was wondering about an adventure idea where a miscreant or diabloical man in Merc Town tries to make money and amuse themselves.
So one story idea is he hires new low level adventure groups (merc squads) to do a job of delivering box "X" to secret location "Y." Told some theives / hijackers are trying to steal the delivery so be on the lookout.
They are given a map and a promise of payment on delivery.

It is all a set-up.

When they get out there he has hired another group to kill the characters under the lie that the players stole his box "X." Kill the theives for stealing from me and bring the box back to me. We split the merc squads weapons and gear 30% for me.

The squad has a Dog Boy or psi-stalker in it (if not the players group the enemies).

He follows and through positioning in blind ducs, TV cameras, and invisibility he watches his favorite reality show.
After the battle and depending on the circumstances he might kill off the survivors or anyone who might start to talk with each other about who hired them.

Appearing say, "I came to warn you. Then I saw my shot and took it."

Setting is out in woods were people can't see through trees and shubbery but the players have map so everyone can see the battle ground.

The Evil villain plans to kill or pay whoever survives with the other groups stuff.

What's in the box?
A tracking device.
Maybe explosives if it is opened the wrong way or takes a hit.

If I stretch it out I hope the players figure out who the real villain is. He wins no matter who losses but only if their is a loser. Because he sure doesn't pay the losing squard if they are dead or never deliver. He just needs merc squad/adventure parties with weapons and gear to set up and a convincing sales pitch.

It is REALLY about setting up a battleground were the players have the excuse to fight while they have a map or in a place they know.
Come to think of it, I might need to make up some tech thing like a headsup display optic system that lets each player know where the other players are to explain how they know where their figure on the map is.

I think I get what you're going for.

My real question is: just how valuble is what the party has one them? Because unless they have Rune Weapons, it's hard to see how anyone plans on profiting from this.

1: The Armor is going to have only scrap value because the mercenaries will destroy it in the process of killing them.

2: Most weapons are not worth that much, plus, the mercenaries already have them. They'll have limited resale value.

3: the mercenaries risk death in this plan: they certainly are going to expend ammunition and take damage to their own armor even if successful.

4: Have you looked at how expensive repairs on that armor is?

I'm not saying you're wrong, because I don't know what your party has. But, assuming (This does sound) like an adventure for a fairly "typical" group, I think the mercenaries are going to refuse the plan because what's in it for them? the cost of taking their guns and armor isn't going to be worth what they get from it.

There is a reason bandits tend to target unarmed people, not heavily armed people. Armed people fight back

And if they DO have really expensive weapons or rune weapons, what makes the mercenaries think they can win? All the money in the world doesn't help you if you're dead.

The single biggest tip I can give you, is try to see every adventure from the bad guy's point of view. You've apparently thought this up as a combat scenario first and came up with the idea to facilitate it, but just a little extra work can make things much more engaging.

See spoilers if you want a completely unsolicited adventure idea: it's up to you if you want to check, but, I really do think it can be made into a really memorable encounter with just a bit of polish: it is of course a suggestion feel free to change or ignore at your pleasure:

Spoiler:
For example: What if the bad guy is a courier who's been tasked with seeing a really valuble peice of Alien Technology (Could be something from the Three Galaxies that'd be worth a ton to Northern Gun or Triax or the CS or anyone else seeking to reverse engineer advanced technology). Heck, what if it's already been consigned to one of them?

Only the Courier see's his chance. Why take a paltry courier's fee when he can take it and steal it for himself?

So he puts the tech in the box with a tracking device, and puts that box inside a peice of a Robot; hopefully if the party opens it, they'll take the apparent cargo at face value and not look further.

The plan is for the Mercenaries to kill them and steal the package before it's delivered. He tells Northern Gun that the package must have been lost en transit: such things happen in Rifts Earth all the time, after all. he forfits his fee and loses his job, but he doesn't care because He plans on making a fortune selling it to the CS.

This even has potential to pay off later. if the party successfully gets it to Northern Gun, some advanced tech starts finding it's way to communities throughout North America.

If the mercs steal it from them successfully, then only the Coalition gets to take advantage of it, and begins using it to further their campaigns.

If the players decide to steal it for themselves, well, things could get really interesting. :twisted:

Remember: a Role playing game is about more than setpeice battles! Everything you have in mind can be used, but just a little more work on the story, can make the entire scenario so much more engaging.

Plus, now the party has an actual motive to protect the cargo. While the Mercs have a win condition that isnt' killing everyone. they'll be trying to flush them out, steal it, and run. they don't actually want to stick around and fight to the death. and if the players start losing, they can just offer to give up the cargo if the mercs will go away (They should honor this: after all, they don't want to die either and fighting is always risky)

darthauthor
Hero

Liked, "If the players decide to steal it for themselves, well, things could get really interesting."

"Remember: a Role playing game is about more than setpeice battles! Everything you have in mind can be used, but just a little more work on the story, can make the entire scenario so much more engaging."

Love your ideas.

How do the players meet the Courier?

Put another way, why does the Courier choice the players? Weakness? In a hurry?

In my first draft, it was a diabolical man who wanted to see mercs fight each other to the death without having to pay either of them. Making possibly only a few hundred credits but you get to do what you love.
Nekira Sudacne
Monk

darthauthor wrote:Liked, "If the players decide to steal it for themselves, well, things could get really interesting."

"Remember: a Role playing game is about more than setpeice battles! Everything you have in mind can be used, but just a little more work on the story, can make the entire scenario so much more engaging."

Love your ideas.

How do the players meet the Courier?

Put another way, why does the Courier choice the players? Weakness? In a hurry?

In my first draft, it was a diabolical man who wanted to see mercs fight each other to the death without having to pay either of them. Making possibly only a few hundred credits but you get to do what you love.

Unfortunately, that's a question I can't answer with what I know: I don't know anything about your characters, the players of those characters, where the party is physically located, or even the approximate power level of the campaign.

The default answer is "Because the party happened to roll into town around the same time as the Courier was looking for mules", but the specifics will have to be customized to be attractive to the party in particular, and that requires a lot of information about character interests and background that I don't have.

If you really want more advise, feel free to PM me some more discrete details about the campaign and I'll see if I can help; but I think this is getting a bit off-topic of what Dog-Boys can sense.

Glad you liked the ideas!

Return to “Guild of Magic & Psionics”