Chi-Town Black Vault

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

(SHIFTY)
Adventurer

Chi-Town Black Vault

Unread post by (SHIFTY) »

Are any of the magic and Techno Wizard items mass produced or are they one of kind items. Had some I wanted to use in a game. Thanks!
Grazzik
Adventurer

Re: Chi-Town Black Vault

Unread post by Grazzik »

(SHIFTY) wrote:Are any of the magic and Techno Wizard items mass produced or are they one of kind items. Had some I wanted to use in a game. Thanks!

If you are the GM, go nuts, it's your game. If not, check with your GM. If multiples of an item were constructed, it would be likely that one was kept by the CS in the Vault, while copies were destroyed.

I'd advise caution using the term "mass produced" as it can cause confusion and has spurred discussion posts in the past. Generally, without rehashing past debates, when it comes to TW, "mass produced" means many individual items, each produced by a single mage (possibly with assistants) to a given standard design. It's not an assembly line as you'd expect in a car factory, though some folks may have house ruled modified item creation rules to match their own gameplay, i.e. allowed multiple mages to work on different components of a single item.

Mass producing magic items can have similar creation rules or different rules depending on the item and the spells/powers used to create the item. Again, they may be the creation of a single mage, though some magic items might be the result of rituals involving many mages.

Keep this in mind when discussing with your GM. The GM may want to introduce some variability as a result of the constructing mage's (in)competence or maybe the mage put an easter egg in the object for a secret reason or just because they were bored.
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

a more accurate term for production of large amounts of TW items would probably be "batch production" where large numbers of items are built in one batch, to the same specifications. the producing group of TW's could easily hand build batches of the hardware and then enchant them without having to use any sort of assembly line process.
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
Grazzik
Adventurer

Unread post by Grazzik »

glitterboy2098 wrote:a more accurate term for production of large amounts of TW items would probably be "batch production" where large numbers of items are built in one batch, to the same specifications. the producing group of TW's could easily hand build batches of the hardware and then enchant them without having to use any sort of assembly line process.

Good call out :ok:
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Unread post by ShadowLogan »

(SHIFTY) wrote:Are any of the magic and Techno Wizard items mass produced or are they one of kind items. Had some I wanted to use in a game. Thanks!

Yes there are Techno-Wizard items that are produced at some level of production volume, there are even "producers" mentioned as such in the various books:
-Splugorth (WB2, WB21, probably a few others)
-Naut'yll (WB7)
-Amaki (WB9, the TW Psi-Blade enhancer)
-Stormspire (WB14)
-Xiticix (WB23, though it goes back as far as RMB given their TW TK-Rifle)
-Nuhr Dwarves (SB4, WB30)
-Manoa (WB6, the TA/Amazon one)
-Mage Fire (Merc Ops)
-Armstrong TW (Merc Ops)
-Nazcan (WB6)
-Incan (WB6)

Tolken's Iron Juggernauts (SoT series) and FoM's Magical Automatons (WB14) are supposed to be examples of items in volume production.

World Book 9 (SA2) introduces us to the Ultra-Crazy, a TW modified Crazy Class. World Book 6 also has Full Conversion magical Cyborgs (Columbia) also a class. World Book 10 has TW Juicers (Dragon, and the Splugorth have their own take on the concept).

And I'm sure there are other examples that qualify as being "in production" with multiple copies though weather there is a single "producer" behind them at this point I don't know.
(SHIFTY)
Adventurer

Unread post by (SHIFTY) »

Thanks for the replies. Some of them in the book are pretty useful. I loved the TW Vehicles.
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

Grazzik wrote:
glitterboy2098 wrote:a more accurate term for production of large amounts of TW items would probably be "batch production" where large numbers of items are built in one batch, to the same specifications. the producing group of TW's could easily hand build batches of the hardware and then enchant them without having to use any sort of assembly line process.

Good call out :ok:

it is also likely that the organizations that are bulk building TW items would be using a guild type system.. using trainees and less experienced TW's to assemble the hardware to a specified design, and those 'empty' TW items being collected and ran past experienced TW's that do the final imbuing with spells. closer to the guild based serial assembly systems before the industrial revolution (where complex items would be made through a succession of individuals hand crafting different parts, then passed along to someone who could assemble the final product. it was slow and not very efficient, but it sufficed in pre-industrial times. (one spectacular example of this would be the Venetian Arsenal, which would build a basic hull at one end of a slipway and as it was moved down the slipway and canal, would have all the parts to the galleys added on. the trick that allowed them to build a full warship in only a day was the fact that they standardized all the parts, and had craftsmen making each constantly, so they'd have a stockpile of keels, hull ribbing, hull planks, masts, oarlocks, etc on hand in stockpiles.)
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
Shorty Lickens
Hero
Comment: Arrrrgggghhhh!

Unread post by Shorty Lickens »

As a GM I would say everything is unique until someone proves its not. Maybe set up an adventure where the PC's go searching for a manufacturing plant, or a wise old sage who knows the guy that made them.
It could be a fun campaign actually, tracking down more and more powerful artifacts until they find or build an artificial planet.

Think Big™
http://incompetech.com/graphpaper/
Create and print dozens of different graph papers.

Return to “Rifts®”