BigBore Series Weapons question?

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

ZINO
Knight
Comment: NEVER QUIT..... I got lucky

BigBore Series Weapons question?

Unread post by ZINO »

BigBore Series Weapons
I been reading this  love it but I feel what type of round are they using
Is over at 12MM to 15MM round?12 gauge or higher?
It been killing to figure the type of round size
All I get is this

shot gun rounds size
Shot Shells (slug or shot) Light Shells: (.410; 28 gauge) Medium Shells: (20 and 16 gauge)
Heavy Shells: (12 and 10 gauge):

BigBore rounds. There are two basic types of BigBore rounds the small BB — known as the "BigBore revolver round" as they were first used in the BB-6 revolvers, and the large BB rounds — dubbed the "BigBore shotgun shell" as they are roughly the same size and shape as a large gauge S.D.C. shotgun shell

BigBore "Holdout" Derringer Also known as the "BB-2" (for two-shot)

BigBore "Big Boss" Magnum Revolver Also known as the "BB-4" (for four-shot revolver)

BigBore "Buccaneer" Breech-Lock Pistol

BigBore "Privateer" Breech-Lock Musket

BigBore "Last Stand" Scattergun

BigBore "Lawman" Automatic Shotgun

BigBore "Room Sweeper" Belt-Fed Shotgun

BigBore "Barking Dog" Submachine-Gun

BigBore "Universal" Variable Assault Rifle

BigBore "Universal" Variable Assault Rifle

Bandit 5050 "Papa Bear" Enhanced BigBore Medium Rail Gun In 105 P.A., Bandito Arms began its expansion of the BigBore

Bandit 6000 BigBore "Big Dog" Automated Sentry Gun

So my question is there amy mentioned of size of round,?
let your YES be YES and your NO be NO but plz no maybe
Grazzik
Adventurer

Re: BigBore Series Weapons question?

Unread post by Grazzik »

These look to be references to the BM SB. Look also in WB14 of more on BB guns. WB33 also has NG weapons that use their competitor's big bore ammo.

- WB14 describes BB ammo as explosive shells, as it is the explosion on impact that causes the MD damage.
- In WB14, the weapons are described as "old style S.D.C. guns that fire heavy explosive rounds", so the propellent must not be the source of the explosive energy otherwise it would damage the SDC weapon. It would be probably fair to say that the BB6 is equivalent to one of the larger caliber revolvers... say 10-13mm.
- For shotguns, there is the repeated warning in BM SB not to use SDC shells or they will get shredded, but no explanation why. My guess is that it is likely an intentionally vague element thrown in by the author of the BM SB just to prevent SDC shells from being used and make the BB shotguns distinct from ordinary shotguns. There is no such warning for BB shotguns in WB14.
- There is a substantial recoil, so as I said above the caliber must be on the larger side. However, there is no reason why the ammo couldn't come in a variety of calibers to fit whatever weapon you have. So, as a GM, there is the same bookkeeping problem of tracking all the variety of calibers that plague SDC ammo - no one size fits all... unless you have a variable breech weapon.

For added confusion, NG in WB33 has MD shotgun ammo, in addition to BB ammo, that can be used in their bangsticks interchangeably with SDC ammo without issue.
ZINO
Knight
Comment: NEVER QUIT..... I got lucky

Unread post by ZINO »

Grazzik wrote:These look to be references to the BM SB. Look also in WB14 of more on BB guns. WB33 also has NG weapons that use their competitor's big bore ammo.

indeed man indeed
let your YES be YES and your NO be NO but plz no maybe
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Unread post by ShadowLogan »

Well the .22 Cybernetic Fingergun can do 1d4MD, and the cybernetic explosive finger joints do 1d6MD. The Finger Joint Explosives would suggest an even larger diameter than .22 (possibly around 20mm depending on the size of the finger).

Now it isn't clear if the BBseries rounds are one-size fits all (based on New west) or come in 2-3 sizes (shotgun,revolver, railgun) based on the damage output and range. Now the CTF use a universal cartridge and they do get differing damage/range outputs so the gun can alter cartridge performance it would seem. I would think the BB-Railgun would need to have different ammo than the Shotguns and Revolvers since it doesn't need a propellant stage like the two previous, though it isn't clear if the shotgun and revolvers share the same ammo type.

An M-9 Rifle Grenade has a diameter of 48mm, and the BB rounds are supposed to be "mini-grenades".

Given the damage output is the same as an explosive finger joint, I think it would be fair to put it at 15-20mm diameter range for all of them, unless the Black Market has found a more energetic material to use.

Return to “Rifts®”