Tattoo Monster & Animal Tattoo enhancements

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

(SHIFTY)
Adventurer

Tattoo Monster & Animal Tattoo enhancements

Unread post by (SHIFTY) »

Question on the enhancement rules for Monsters and Animals. Do the enhancements count as a separate tattoo? For instance, if I just progressed to second Level and picked a griffin Monster Tattoo and wanted to put a saddle enhancement. Would I have to wait till 3rd level to add the enhancement? Or is it like the Magic Weapons Enhancements that you have the option to add the Enhancements immediately to count as 1 tattoo or wait till later to have them count as separate Tattoo selections?
hup7
Wanderer

Re: Tattoo Monster & Animal Tattoo enhancements

Unread post by hup7 »

This is what Secrets of The Atlanteans says about "weapon" enhancements:

"Enhancements Over Time: If a Magic Weapon Enhancement is added to a Magic Weapon tattoo at a later date - days, months, even centuries after the main Magic Weapon tattoo was first created - EACH new enhancement counts as a separate and unique tattoo. That means that, although they are all activated together in one melee attack, a weapon with two enhancements added later would count as three tattoos toward the maximum of six tattoos that can be active at any one time. So it is best to figure out and get the Magic Weapon tattoo and any enhancement(s) done at the same time so they all count as ONE tattoo. And remember, two enhancements, maximum, regardless of when the enhancements are added." (DB15 p153)

As written you could apply the same logic, but given the limited number of tattoos and availability some GMs are more generous.
(SHIFTY)
Adventurer

Unread post by (SHIFTY) »

The wording in P148 of Secrets Of the Atlanteans makes it seem like the Monster And Animal Tattoo Enhancements count as additional Tattoos. Unlike the Magic Weapons that have had the Enhancements placed during creation and count as 1 active Tattoo. The Monster And Animal Tattoos with Enhancements seem to count towards the maximimun 6 with all the Enhancements. It just didn't seem clear. I wonder if it was a balance thing with the Enhancements on the Monster And Animal Tattoos.
Mlp7029
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Mlp7029 »

We play each tattoo, no matter how many tattoos it represents are activated as a one tattoo. Example: Heart Encircled by Chains with a Broken Link counts as one tattoo toward the max six when activated, uses PPE equal to both tattoos, cannot be activated separately, counts as two tattoos for the purposes of extra PPE and SDC from tattoos, caused double normal penalties when applied as one tattoo.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

this picture popped into my head a 'flaming tiger' tattoo.

My question is, As a GM would you allow the weapon enchantments be attached/integrated into a magic animal tattoo?
What limitations would you have if you did allow them to be enhanced?
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
hup7
Wanderer

Unread post by hup7 »

As a GM *I* would probably allow 'additional' enchantments - but I think the majority of what people would want already exist in Secrets of the Atlanteans.

Animal/Beast Breathing Fire/Ice/Lightning - for an MDC breath weapon
Flaming Claws, Hoofs (sic), Fangs - inflict MDC damage, and/or increase MDC damage.
Fiery Streaks - increase speed
Barding - arrives with armour

It wouldn't be a long shot to add thorns to an appropriate monster/animal, or claws dripping blood... I would like it to be thematic but *I* would allow it.

*edit* Oh, would I allow someone to get a 'winged' tiger and allow it to fly? As a monster sure - as an animal no. I am sure if I looked through enough books I could find a winged tiger in mythology - Dionysis had two apparently.

Return to “Rifts®”