With Apologies, A Personal Message to the Forums

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

taalismn
Priest

With Apologies, A Personal Message to the Forums

Unread post by taalismn »

Dear Fellow Palladiumites,

This may not be the place for this, and I apologize in advance if I presume too much, and impose upon your attentions. If so, move on elsewhere, readers, to something more to your liking. I understand. And if the moderators ask me to remove this, I will.

I’ve been on these forums for over a decade, and I’ve enjoyed every moment of the association. I’ve made friends, made enemies, created worlds, and generally found both a welcoming community, a forum for my imaginings, and a refuge from the slings and arrows of reality.

However, reality has of late made an unignorable claim on my attention, one I cannot take refuge from in fantastical speculations, and I will soon find myself shouldering terrible responsibilities, many of which I have been avoiding for much of my adult life. This will consume a great amount of my time and attention. I must find strengths, courage and wisdom I do not feel, but must for the sake of others.

I’m not going away, and I have so much I wish to finish here, but a great many things for this time seem trivial in comparison to what faces me. Reaching 40,000 posts suddenly seems a childish ambition of a simpler time and person. I hope to occasionally, in some moment at my work when things are slow, post some witticism, some helpful piece of information or constructive criticism, an adventure seed, or a shiny new toy of the imagination. But, for the time being, I must set aside Paladin Steel, the Reformed Shemarrian Nation, the Good Splugorth, and so many other things that I’ve done and seen here, and any projects associated with them. I hope that I will be able to pick them up again some time in the future, but when, I cannot say. And perhaps the person I become in the days to come may regard them, but without malice or regret, as childish playthings to be shelved away in the archives of memory. Again, I cannot say.

I would like to say so much more, so much very more, but such would not be related to what we do here. And I fear if I were to start I would ramble for days on end like a madman, wanting to capture a life in words, convey a presence in mere sentences, familiarize and illuminate you all to a person who travelled through time, day by day, for the better part of a century, experienced, saw, and did things I cannot match and hardly feel worthy of.

Salvador Dali said that when a person dies, a universe dies with them...and here, where we speak of alternate universes and vast cosmoses as our playthings of the moment, we may forget that all around us are universes, terrible and beautiful, all exerting their influence on us, and when one is gone, whether it fades gradually and disappears, or vanishes suddenly, our own cosmos changes profoundly. We are all astronomers, whether we know it or not, gazing into personal universes on a daily basis, and only seeing a fraction of what is there. And we shall never know all there is to know about them. Yet we should and must make the effort while we can. On the vaster scale of things, personal universes pass all too quickly.

Whatever happens, I thank you all for the time spent here, and this moment, and for whatever moments yet to come.

Taalismn
Last edited by taalismn on Fri Oct 21, 2016 10:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-------------
"Trouble rather the Tiger in his Lair,
Than the Sage among his Books,
For all the Empires and Kingdoms,
The Armies and Works that you hold Dear,
Are to him but the Playthings of the Moment,
To be turned over with the Flick of a Finger,
And the Turning of a Page"

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Re: With Apologies, A Personal Message to the Forums

Unread post by eliakon »

You will be missed. I wish you the best in what ever you have coming up.
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Blue_Lion
Knight

Unread post by Blue_Lion »

Take care and hope you find enjoyment in what ever lies ahead.
You will be missed but life should always come first.
The Clones are coming you shall all be replaced, but who is to say you have not been replaced already.

Master of Type-O and the obvios.

Soon my army oc clones and winged-monkies will rule the world but first, must .......

I may debate canon and RAW, but the games I run are highly house ruled. So I am not debating for how I play but about how the system works as written.
Svartalf
Champion
Comment: Beware of the Friar Tuck type putting on the French Maid outfit!

Unread post by Svartalf »

Goodbye, you'll be back home if you come back.
Svartalf - Flamboyantly Fresh Franco of Freedom Freakin' Fries : Shadyslug
Embrace the Darkness, it needs a hug - Cherico
PC stands for "patronizing cretin" G'mo
I name you honorary American Subjugator & Ratbastard
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

Bye Taasmin. I wish you could share more of what is to come, and remember: you don't need to come back full time. Just dropping in for a post or two per month will be welcome :)
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
SRoss
Knight

Unread post by SRoss »

Good luck in your future endeavors, I won't say goodbye, but instead, until we meet again.
Alrik Vas
Knight
Comment: Don't waste your time gloating over a wounded enemy. Pull the damn trigger.

Unread post by Alrik Vas »

You don't need to be dedicated to an RPG to be part of this community, Taal. You only need to look on hobby favorably, whether you're practicing or not.

Good luck out there. See you when you get back. Real life should always come first.
Mark Hall wrote:Y'all seem to assume that Palladium books are written with the same exacting precision with which they are analyzed. I think that is... ambitious.

Talk from the Edge: Operation Dead Lift, Operation Reload, Operation Human Devil, Operation Handshake, Operation Windfall 1, Operation Windfall 2, Operation Sniper Wolf, Operation Natural 20
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Unread post by Killer Cyborg »

Good luck!
I hope you still check in from time to time.
Annual Best Poster of the Year Awards (2012)

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!
say652
Palladin
Comment: Avid Cyborg and Braka Braka enthusiast.

Unread post by say652 »

I loved Paladin Steel and the comic threads. You'll be sorely missed.
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

the robotech forum will be completely dead without you. but i understand. i hope things will get better for you.
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
89er
Adventurer

Unread post by 89er »

Take care and safe travels. You will always have a seat at this table.

Side note: How will Paladin Steel and Eshemar topics be treated, locked down by you or leave it open to the community?
Alpha 11
Palladin

Unread post by Alpha 11 »

Man, that's a bummer. Hope things turn for the better for you and soon!
taalismn
Priest

89er wrote:Take care and safe travels. You will always have a seat at this table.

Side note: How will Paladin Steel and Eshemar topics be treated, locked down by you or leave it open to the community?

Hi, and thank you all. As to PS and the EShemar.....It's still all open for fans to use...I'm not going AWAY, period, and I hope to contribute when I can, but I'm afraid such posts for the foreseeable future will be far and few between. I won't be deleting or locking down anything, but it will be all open to the community as it always has been. If anybody has any questions regarding it, I'll still be available through these forums.
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
DhAkael
Knight

Unread post by DhAkael »

taalismn wrote:
89er wrote:Take care and safe travels. You will always have a seat at this table.

Hi, and thank you all. As to PS and the EShemar.....It's still all open for fans to use...I'm not going AWAY, period, and I hope to contribute when I can, but I'm afraid such posts for the foreseeable future will be far and few between. I won't be deleting or locking down anything, but it will be all open to the community as it always has been. If anybody has any questions regarding it, I'll still be available through these forums.

Is okay; as you've seen, I've barely added anything to the ES-Shaemarr in a dogs age & half.
I fully understand "LIFE" hitting like a tonne of bricks. Do what you have to and hope to see you around off & on.
From the looks of it, the communities are in good hands (and hopefully new posters won't be intimidated by the sheer volume you ended up placing in the various threads :D :ok: )
Bind the body to the opened mind
Bind the body to the opened mind

I dream of towers in a world consumed
A void in the sentient sky
I dream of fissures across the moon
Leaves of the lotus rise

~Dream Again By Miracle of Sound
Vrykolas2k
Champion
Location: A snow-covered forest, littered with the bones of my slain enemies...

Unread post by Vrykolas2k »

"If we do meet again, why, we shall smile; if not, then, this parting was well made."
W. Shakespeare, Julias Caesar.
Eyes without life, maggot-ridden corpses, mountains of skulls... these are a few of my favourite things.

I am the first angel, loved once above all others...

Light a man a fire, and he's warm for a day; light a man on fire, and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Turning the other cheek just gets you slapped harder.

The Smiling Bandit (Strikes Again!! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha!)
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Zer0 Kay »

Thank you for the most valuable contribution anyone could make to any community. Your time is appreciated, even treasured your future limitations make what you give later even more valuable. Your frequent contributions will be missed and your new rare contributions treasured.
:thwak: you some might think you're a :clown: but you're cool in book :ok: :thwak:--Mecha-Viper
BEST IDEA EVER!!! -- The Galactus Kid
Holy crapy, you're Zer0 Kay?! --TriaxTech
Zer0 Kay is my hero. --Atramentus
The Zer0 of Kay, who started this fray,
Kept us laughing until the end. -The Fifth Business (In loving Memory of the teleport thread)
The Oh So Amazing Nate
Hero

Unread post by The Oh So Amazing Nate »

I don't understand exactly what is happening here, but I'm left feeling confused, scared, and unsure. Taal, if you face these new IRL challenges with the same passion and enthusiasm that you've shown to the forums; you will have them overcome in no time. I believe in your ability to weather whatever lies ahead. My appreciation, support, and friendship go with you.

Nathan
Look upon me and tremble ye masses. For I am The Necroposter!
keir451 wrote:Amazing Nate; Thanks for your support!

Razzinold wrote:And the award for best witty retort to someone reporting a minor vehicular collision goes to:
The Oh So Amazing Nate!

Nate, you sir win the internet for today! You've definitely earned the "oh so amazing" part of your name today. :lol:
RockJock
Knight

Unread post by RockJock »

Taal,

Best of luck in all things. I hope life treats you well. I'm not a super regular on the boards anymore, but people here helped me get through some rather bad times that came after a near death car wreck almost a decade ago. If you need to talk, or be distracted, or just BS there are good people around for that.
RockJock, holder of the mighty Rune Rock Hammer!
batlchip
Hero
Comment: Even the great thinkers and writers in history messed up sometimes.

Unread post by batlchip »

May your journey through the rest of your life be littered with happiness for you and yours my friend.
Who is evil?
Who is joy
Who is pain
Who is death
Who is good
Who is blind
Who is foolish
Who is smart
Me and you that's who
For we are mankind.
CyCo
Hero

Unread post by CyCo »

So long, and thanks for all the fish.

Real life is that annoying thing that gets in the way of gaming, working on the car, going fishing, building models, building rc cars/planes/helicopters/drone & using them, playing computer games, etc. Unfortunately, it gets in the way for a reason. Sometimes those reasons are good, sometimes they are bad. But we need real life, both the good stuff and bad, so we can live.

So go forth and suchansuch. Etc & etc.

My only question is, why oh why did you leave me here with Zer0 Kay? 8p
Eureka!
I Want Rifts : Australia II & III...!!
slade the sniper
Hero

Unread post by slade the sniper »

I am proud to have conversed with you, and appreciate your many contributions to my enjoyment of these forums. Safe travels and you will be welcomed upon your return.

-STS
My skin is not a sin - Carlos Wallace
A man's rights rest in three boxes. The ballot box, jury box and the cartridge box - Frederick Douglass
I am a firm believer that men with guns can solve any problem - Inscriptus
Any system in which the most populated areas have the most political power, creates an incentive for areas that want power to increase their population - Killer Cyborg
taalismn
Priest

slade the sniper wrote:I am proud to have conversed with you, and appreciate your many contributions to my enjoyment of these forums. Safe travels and you will be welcomed upon your return.

-STS

Well, thank you all for your thoughts...it seems rather strange now because I'm slowly returning to posting more often now...I can't say that my personal situation is returning to normal, because it is most definitely not, and will never be as it was before. But my family is acquiring a new equilibrium, reaching a new balance, and coping as best we can. I'm taking on more and new responsibilities, with new knowledge and awareness that I did not wish or seek to acquire, but for which I am grateful for it giving me a handle on events. And I think it will make me a better person for it, especially with people who are also experiencing a similar situation in their lives. I won't pretend that there aren't difficult times in the future, and that the raw emotion which prompted my original post won't up and resurface at some time, but I have some peace of mind now to help me face those challenges.

But I say all of this to all of you, on the eve of Thanksgiving, whether you are American or not; enjoy every day and everything you have, appreciate those around you, especially family, and savor what you experience. :)
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Rathorc Lemenger
Hero
Comment: I am the explorer Extreme. Searcher of all things mysterious and interesting. FEAR ME.

Unread post by Rathorc Lemenger »

Take all the time you need, good sir. Your desk chair at the Forums (and at Lemenger Biologics Unlimited) will be kept warm, clean and dust free for your return.

Signed,
Rathorc Lemenger.
I've created a monster.-Taalismn.
Believe in the unbelieveable, and you shall become known to the unknown-Rathorc Lemenger
It is well documented that for every minute you excercise, you add a minute to your life. This enables you, at 85 years of age, to spend an additional 5 months in a nursing home at $5,000 per month-An anonymous family member of Rathorc Lemenger.
kronos
Hero

Unread post by kronos »

I can't believe I didn't see this thread before..
Talisman, it is a pleasure working with you on the EShemarrians. Hell, you with your PS and the EShemarrians are what got me playing more and especially creating more stuff. So I thank you for giving my creativity a direction, and distraction from what my own life is throwing at me.
If need to talk, just PM me or email (pretty sure you have my email).
It's a blast working with you, and will gladly keep doing so on more fan projects.
taalismn
Priest

kronos wrote:I can't believe I didn't see this thread before..
Talisman, it is a pleasure working with you on the EShemarrians. Hell, you with your PS and the EShemarrians are what got me playing more and especially creating more stuff. So I thank you for giving my creativity a direction, and distraction from what my own life is throwing at me.
If need to talk, just PM me or email (pretty sure you have my email).
It's a blast working with you, and will gladly keep doing so on more fan projects.

It's also a bit dated...the last month or so has been rather trying for me and my family, pretty raw, and educational in some of the ways people don't like to be educated.
But we've reached the far side of this particular personal storm, and, while our skies haven't cleared entirely, there's hints of better weather. We'll never have what we had before, but we'll be grateful for what we do still have.
A tendency to, as you readers may have noticed, over-wrought bad prose remains, however.
As well as a certain degree of self-consciousness. :o
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Carl Gleba
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: Lord of Chaos!

Unread post by Carl Gleba »

taalismn, best of luck to you and your family for any challenges that are ahead. Do right by your family and visit when you can.
ImageImage

Return to “Rifts®”