ideas for robot invasion?

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

vashshadow
D-Bee

ideas for robot invasion?

Unread post by vashshadow »

im thinking of some hooks for my next game and i have some nice ones set up but im stumped on a robot destroying hook. im thinking maybe players go some to hunt down some robots end finding out there are a lot more and they end up on the front lines of a robot invasion type thing. my problem i cant think of what to use maybe archie or should i use something else like the bots from splices? anyone run something like this before? im much more use to having them fight vampires so this seems like a good idea to split from the normal game.
Riftmaker
Adventurer

Re: ideas for robot invasion?

Unread post by Riftmaker »

Manhunter has robots out tot take out all organic life
Nightmask
Palladin

Unread post by Nightmask »

Riftmaker wrote:Manhunter has robots out tot take out all organic life

I think you might be confusing them with Berserkers, while I haven't read it in a while the Manhunters were more interested in simply enslaving humanity due to their faulty programming that wouldn't allow a peace agreement between their creators and humans but had no problems killing any that resisted their taking control.
Fair warning: I consider being called a munchkin a highly offensive slur and do report people when they err in doing so.

'Reality is very disappointing.' - Jonathan Switcher from Mannequin

It's 'canon', not 'cannon'. A cannon is a big gun like on pirate ships, canon is what you mean when referring to something as being contained within one of the books such as how many dice to roll for a stat.
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

I have used the Shermidian as my go to robot invasion for years. Mostly because I don't buy for a second the idea that it would be possible to hide that they are robots for more than a couple months with out the creation of some amazingly advanced technology that would have some extremely disruptive second order effects on the game world.
So instead I just have them be 'Alien Robots setting up an alien robot nation' and let people deal with that from there.
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

Sourcebook 2 has a whole adventure along those lines.

the Mechanoids may not be completely robotic, but they're close enough that most people wouldn't be able to tell
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
Riftmaker
Adventurer

Unread post by Riftmaker »

Maybe one of these machine people aliens from phase world ?
AzathothXy
Adventurer

Unread post by AzathothXy »

In the Mercenaries book, in the entry for the borg Arrak Chrome, it says he is from a dimension under attack by a robot army. It's called the Horde, and seeks ro destroy all life, IIRC.
The Nuclear Chaos
That thing is not dead which has the capacity to continue to exist eternally,
And if the abnormal ones come,then death may cease to be
vashshadow
D-Bee

Unread post by vashshadow »

dont have manhunter kinda wish i did so i could look it over lol. the Mechanoids did come to mind i know they have made i think 4 robot type do you think they would make more then the few types that they made so far? Shermidian i use as a up and coming kingdom yet the players never want to go check it out lol. i think ill go with the idea of a small group of mechanoids that are still alive and making more robots to fight for them
Gamer
Adventurer

Unread post by Gamer »

Our campaign/s had a facility where a military AI developed problems during/after the cataclysm and released U.S. Military combat bots on it's own people.
The campaign idea originally used with Chaos Earth and was then later used in Rifts as the same facility only centuries later.
Just choose robots from the books as a base idea model and go from there.
Dulce bellum inexpertis.
Fell
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Fell »

https://palladium-store.com/1001/produc ... noids.html

Agree, Mechinoids.

Either use them as presented or have them be recreated by a crazy Operator or Techno Wizard to look exactly like Mechinoids (thus invoking fear that another Mechinoids invasion is happening) but actually they are just replicas. Regular robots.
Dan Frederick
kaid
Knight

Unread post by kaid »

Riftmaker wrote:Manhunter has robots out tot take out all organic life

Manhunters/splicers/mechanoid invasion books are all good sources of robot or near robotic invasion forces to mix and match from. The first rifts source book I believe also has full rules for robot creation so you can use that to whip up all sorts of variants on the fly pretty easy.
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Unread post by Killer Cyborg »

I've used the idea several times of a pre-rifts robot factory that was left on after the apocalypse, and continued to crank out robots.
The factory would have to have enough intelligence to not only keep making robots, but also to mine and otherwise seek out new resources.
But I'd keep the intelligence low or rigid enough to avoid easy negotiation and such.
Annual Best Poster of the Year Awards (2012)

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!
flatline
Knight

Unread post by flatline »

I did something like this once. Used the stats for the Mechanoid Runt and added a handful of variants (runt digger, runt flier, etc). I specifically wanted weak and disposable robots to be the enemy so that the players could destroy large numbers quickly without feeling bad (the way I viewed StarWars stormtroopers when I was a little kid and didn't understand they were people in armor).

The "runt invasion" was meant to be a cheap distraction for the players to buy me time to come up with something more interesting, but the players were totally sucked into it and so it became the focus of the campaign for a while.
I don't care about canon answers. I'm interested in good, well-reasoned answers and, perhaps, a short discussion of how that answer is supported or contradicted by canon.

If I don't provide a book and page number, then don't assume that I'm describing canon. I'll tell you if I'm describing canon.
Kagashi
Champion

Unread post by Kagashi »

plenty of robots in the Megaverse to borrow from.

Mechanoids, ARCHIE, Splicers, Shemerians, Haydonites...just use em all.
I want to see from Palladium:
Updated Aug 2015
-Rifts: Dark Woods/Deep South, Space 110 PA, Scandinavia
-Mechanoids: Space (MDC)
-Robotech: Errata for Marines timeline, Masters Deluxe with SC and UEEF gear, Spaceships
-Updated Errata for post-2006 printings of Rifts books
-Searchable, quality PDFs/E-pubs of current Rifts titles
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Unread post by Killer Cyborg »

flatline wrote:I did something like this once. Used the stats for the Mechanoid Runt and added a handful of variants (runt digger, runt flier, etc). I specifically wanted weak and disposable robots to be the enemy so that the players could destroy large numbers quickly without feeling bad (the way I viewed StarWars stormtroopers when I was a little kid and didn't understand they were people in armor).

The "runt invasion" was meant to be a cheap distraction for the players to buy me time to come up with something more interesting, but the players were totally sucked into it and so it became the focus of the campaign for a while.

Noice!
:ok:
Annual Best Poster of the Year Awards (2012)

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!
kaid
Knight

Unread post by kaid »

Actually if you want a really good way to start a robotic invasion check out the newest rifter. The giant factory machine in legion is a great example of one thing that could get rifted in that is fully capable of spooling up a roboapocalypse.
flatline
Knight

Unread post by flatline »

kaid wrote:Actually if you want a really good way to start a robotic invasion check out the newest rifter. The giant factory machine in legion is a great example of one thing that could get rifted in that is fully capable of spooling up a roboapocalypse.

That sounds kind of like how my runt invasion worked. A fabricator about the size of a FedEx truck could churn out runts and weapons as long as you fed it the required materials (like pieces of a destroyed runt). It could also churn out the parts needed to make a new fabricator. So once there were enough runts to protect and feed a new fabricator, they'd build a new fabricator and relocate it.

There were fabricators spread out all over the place by the time the players figured out what was going on.
I don't care about canon answers. I'm interested in good, well-reasoned answers and, perhaps, a short discussion of how that answer is supported or contradicted by canon.

If I don't provide a book and page number, then don't assume that I'm describing canon. I'll tell you if I'm describing canon.
mercedogre
Dungeon Crawler
Comment: I ******* hate the atmosphere of the conversations here on these forums

Unread post by mercedogre »

You could always make up some robots of your own design, from space or a rift,
You'll take my life but I'll take yours too
You'll fire your musket but I'll run you through
So when you're waiting for the next attack
You'd better stand there's no turning back
mercedogre
Dungeon Crawler
Comment: I ******* hate the atmosphere of the conversations here on these forums

Unread post by mercedogre »

The newcomer androids in the back of Juicer Uprising could be a source of inspiration
You'll take my life but I'll take yours too
You'll fire your musket but I'll run you through
So when you're waiting for the next attack
You'd better stand there's no turning back
The Beast
Demon Lord Extraordinaire
Comment: You probably think this comment is about you, don't you?

Unread post by The Beast »

You could use the ones the Great Machine in DB7 makes.

Return to “Rifts®”