Sniper Teams.

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

say652
Palladin
Comment: Avid Cyborg and Braka Braka enthusiast.

Sniper Teams.

Unread post by say652 »

Normally a Sniper is accompanied by a Spotter but,
We have more than verified the mile away one shot kill does NOT exist in Rifts.
By any Canon means anyway...

So we begin.

Distance Distance Distance!! Thats what we really need to be at full effectiveness.

Railgun 5000 foot range 1D4md. Great range and tickbite damage hmmm.

For a good laser Rifle your lookin at 2000 maybe 2200feet. Half the Railgun.

Mini Missiles. One mile Range. Most effective in volleys of four or more....hmmmm.

3 shooters Cs Commando Occ.
5 Spotters PsiNet Spotter Occ. Seemed fitting.
4 Shock Troops Coalition Cyborg Strike Trooper Occ.

So imo the only way to make snipers work in Rifts is to have at least 3 aiming at the same target.
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Re: Sniper Teams.

Unread post by eliakon »

NE-75H Heavy Plasma Rifle (6,000' range) [GM guide page 151]
Shooting beyond Effective range (+30% range for -5 to strike) [RUE page 361]
Total: 7,800 feet or just a shade under a mile and a half.

Will that do?

At that distance it will be a surprise attack (no defense possible)
If you really want to make it sick start stacking on specialized skills (Sharpshooter, Increased WP level (if you use the optional rule from Mysteries of Magic), Rifter material, Critical Strikes skill (from Splicers), sights, cybernetic eyes, spells....what ever you can to get the strike bonuses....and then make it called shot to the head or some other weak point.
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
say652
Palladin

Unread post by say652 »

My choice of a Cs team over a better supplied team was based on tactics.

Since Sniping cannot happen with Mini Missiles, the Heavy borgs are equipped with Missile Rifles.This puts them just barely out of Railgun range. Stationed one mile from target.
The light borg Carries a Railgun and has meeger stealth capabilities. At least achieve 5000 foot range stealth like....hopefully..
The Commandos armed with energy Rifles and light Deadboy armor. The leader wears CA6EX Heavy Deadboy Armor.
The Spotters one per borg team Wearing CA6EX heavy Deadboy and one per Commando wearing light Deadboy Armor.
say652
Palladin

Unread post by say652 »

eliakon wrote:NE-75H Heavy Plasma Rifle (6,000' range) [GM guide page 151]

Will that do?

If you really want to make it sick start stacking on specialized skills (Sharpshooter, Increased WP level (if you use the optional rule from Mysteries of Magic), Rifter material, Critical Strikes skill (from Splicers), sights, cybernetic eyes, spells....what ever you can to get the strike bonuses....and then make it called shot to the head or some other weak point.

I dont allow called shots at over half a weapons range. House rule.
Bill
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Bill »

say652 wrote:House rule.

If you made it up, you can change it.
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

say652 wrote:
eliakon wrote:NE-75H Heavy Plasma Rifle (6,000' range) [GM guide page 151]

Will that do?

I dont allow called shots at over half a weapons range. House rule.

I was just trying to demonstrate that it is possible to make a 'one mile away kill shot' in canon
Its not easy but it is possible
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
say652
Palladin

Unread post by say652 »

All called shots are 14 then aiming at a small target 17.

So at range for two attacks an Aimed Called Shot plus Sniper and Sharpshooter Bonus vs a 17.
A success means you suprise attacked them in the head. No damage multiplier exists, but helmets normally do have less mdc than the main body....

My goal is 3 energy blasts 2 Railgun blasts and 2 volleys of mini missiles to strike the target.

I imagine the 5 psychic spotters could line up the shot.
Last edited by say652 on Thu Oct 08, 2015 5:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
eliakon
Palladin

Unread post by eliakon »

say652 wrote:All called shots are 14 then aiming at a small target 17.

So at range for two attacks an Aimed Called Shot plus Sniper and Sharpshooter Bonus vs a 17.
A success means you suprise attacked them in the head. No damage multiplier exists, but helmets normally do have less mdc than the main body....

My goal is 3 energy blasts 2 Railgun rounds and a volley of mini missiles to strike the target.

I would say that isn't a sniper, that's an ambush. Its a different tactic (A valid one, but a different one)
And remember after the first attack its not surprise anymore. So they will get to try defenses against the other 6 attacks (not to mention that they will hit different times, as they move at different speeds)

I am assuming that you are using some sort of custom house rule on how called shots work as well.
Which is cool, I am a huge fan of house rules. But it does make it hard to have a discussion since the rest of us don't know your house rules (which is why we tend to try and use the canon rules in discussions here, since everyone knows those.....they just open a book)

say652
Palladin

Unread post by say652 »

I dislike called shots since no multiplier exists.

My fix is Deathblow. Basically the same thing, less math etc. By canon rules Deathblow cannot be used with guns...

As part of Sniper training i allow characters with Sniper skill to use Deathblow with wp rifle, wp heavy, wp heavy energy.
Fixes the lack of tables.
Shot strikes mainbody.
say652
Palladin

Unread post by say652 »

Even without the multipliers etc. Replacing the sniper with the ambush was the discussion.

Is it possible to time the attacks so they strike in unison?
With 140 feet being the effective telepathy range, communications should be secure radio.
eliakon
Palladin

Unread post by eliakon »

I guess I am confused as to the point of this exercise then.
It sounds to me like your problem is that you changed the rules to prohibit something, and now you are upset that what you prohibited is not possible.....

say652
Palladin

Unread post by say652 »

Timing six attacks to strike at the same time.
say652
Palladin

Unread post by say652 »

How many attacks can be made by surprise?

If only the first attack is a suprise then a more effective strategy is lead with the missiles then follow up with the snipers.
If this is how the attack sequence must go might as well arm the five spotters with heavy energy weapons to tighten the noose.
eliakon
Palladin

Unread post by eliakon »

I am confused as to what you are trying to actually do here.
Are you trying to figure out the best way to use a platoon of heavy infantry to kill a target at range?
Are you trying to figure out how to snipe in Rifts?
Are you trying to kill a specific target while trying to limit its ability to fight back
Other?

Perhaps if I know exactly what your trying to do here it might be possible to help.

say652
Palladin

Unread post by say652 »

eliakon wrote:I am confused as to what you are trying to actually do here.
Are you trying to figure out the best way to use a platoon of heavy infantry to kill a target at range?
Are you trying to kill a specific target while trying to limit its ability to fight back
Other?

Perhaps if I know exactly what your trying to do here it might be possible to help.

Yes, most effective and damaging to opponent is my goal.

Yes a platoon replaces the sniper.

Yes, learning on the fly, more of a energy expulsion guy.

Yes, i want to suprise ambush the target from range with a ridiculous amount of megadamage without them being able to defend.

Six starbucks mocha espresso kinda day.
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Unread post by Killer Cyborg »

say652 wrote:Normally a Sniper is accompanied by a Spotter but,

So we begin.

Distance Distance Distance!! Thats what we really need to be at full effectiveness.

Mini Missiles. One mile Range. Most effective in volleys of four or more....hmmmm.

So imo the only way to make snipers work in Rifts is to have at least 3 aiming at the same target.

Or to shoot at targets that you can kill in one shot.
Or to use snipers for something other than one-shot kills.
Annual Best Poster of the Year Awards (2012)

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!
say652
Palladin

Unread post by say652 »

I want a twelve man Coalition team that can take down difficult targets.

And are more than goombas for the pcs to stomp for coins.
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

say652 wrote:Yes, i want to suprise ambush the target from range with a ridiculous amount of megadamage without them being able to defend.

TW enhance some missiles to make them invisible and silent, then launch a large volley.
:)
Last edited by Killer Cyborg on Thu Oct 08, 2015 7:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

say652
Palladin

Unread post by say652 »

Killer Cyborg wrote:

So we begin.

Or to shoot at targets that you can kill in one shot.
Or to use snipers for something other than one-shot kills.

The one shot kill aint gonna happen. I've moved on.

And yes using severel moving hiding snipers with energy rifles supported by fast borg snipers witj Railguns that are kinda stealthy supported by the mini missile Borg team.
eliakon
Palladin

Unread post by eliakon »

say652 wrote:
eliakon wrote:I am confused as to what you are trying to actually do here.
Other?

Yes, most effective and damaging to opponent is my goal.

Yes a platoon replaces the sniper.

Yes, learning on the fly, more of a energy expulsion guy.

Yes, i want to suprise ambush the target from range with a ridiculous amount of megadamage without them being able to defend.

Six starbucks mocha espresso kinda day.

Unless your wedded to the CS, I still think your go-to weapon here is the NE-75H. 2d4x10+20 MD at 6000' makes it one of the top sniper weapons in the game. (yes, that is an average of 70MD from over a mile away)

For damage out put at range it is in an elite class with the ATL-7 and Missiles. Of course it is an energy (plasma) attack so things that have protection from that are going to just be ticked off that someone is shooting at them....but most other targets are going to be in a world of hurt.
And if your entire platoon is packing them.....

Killer Cyborg
Priest

say652 wrote:I want a twelve man Coalition team that can take down difficult targets.

Ah, a Coalition team.

That's a bit tougher.

Railguns can do it, IF you use bursts instead of single shots.
Missiles do the best damage, but they're generally easier to detect than most other attacks (depending on the GM).

say652
Palladin

Unread post by say652 »

Killer Cyborg wrote:[quote="say652"Yes, i want to suprise ambush the target from range with a ridiculous amount of megadamage without them being able to defend.

TW enhance some missiles to make them invisible and silent, then launch a large volley.
:)[/quote]

Good call. How would a twelve man magic sniper ambush team look? Occs and equipment list would rock like the 80's
say652
Palladin

Unread post by say652 »

Killer Cyborg wrote:
say652 wrote:I want a twelve man Coalition team that can take down difficult targets.

Ah, a Coalition team.

That's a bit tougher.

Railguns can do it, IF you use bursts instead of single shots.
Missiles do the best damage, but they're generally easier to detect than most other attacks (depending on the GM).

Specializing in engaging high mdc targets and mass numbers of enemies.
Pepsi Jedi
Palladin
Comment: 24 was the start... We are Legion.

Unread post by Pepsi Jedi »

So we begin.

If you need 12 people, all special forces, all shooting at one person/thing from range, it's not really a sniper thing then. Wouldn't it be easier to just call in artillery at that point? or a fly by, by fast movers?

Lt. Nyota Uhura: I'm impressed. For a moment there, I thought you were just a dumb hick who only has sex with farm animals.

James Tiberius Kirk: Well, not _only_...
Blue_Lion
Knight

Unread post by Blue_Lion »

So we begin.

The boom gun can kill most minor MDC creatures (less than 100) in one shot, has a 2 mile range. And I seam to remember KC did math that showed more that if you pick your shot carefully by the books you can do it to the right kinds of targets with several different weapons.

The sniper spot like machine gun spotter is the senor person and does most the math and feeds corrections.

In my opinion a sniper can drop a target if he waits for a soft target or some one that make a mistake just like a real life sniper can not kill a tank but can kill some one that sticks his head out.
The Clones are coming you shall all be replaced, but who is to say you have not been replaced already.

Master of Type-O and the obvios.

Soon my army oc clones and winged-monkies will rule the world but first, must .......

I may debate canon and RAW, but the games I run are highly house ruled. So I am not debating for how I play but about how the system works as written.
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Unread post by ShadowLogan »

So we begin.

Depending on how "loose" the team is with using non-standard CS Weapons, you'd have to turn to:
-Kittani Energy Lance (6,000ft range with respectable damage) in Atlantis WB
-Triax TX-SL13 Ultra Sniper Rifle in Triax2 WB (5,000ft range with high damage)
-weapons with 4000ft range exist, and firing 30% farther would be an extra 1200ft (just shy of a mile) like the JA-11 (certainly does more damage than a single railgun round)
Glistam
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: The silent thief of Rozrehxeson.

Unread post by Glistam »

Are there any optic systems which have a range greater than 2,000 feet? That would seem to me to be a big challenge to overcome, too.
Zerebus: "I like MDC. MDC is a hundred times better than SDC."

kiralon: "...the best way to kill an old one is to crash a moon into it."

Temporal Wizard O.C.C. update 0.8 | Rifts random encounters
New Fire magic | New Temporal magic
Grim Gulf, the Nightlands version of Century Station

Let Chaos Magic flow in your campaigns.
Library Ogre
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: My comments do not necessarily represent the views of Palladium Books.

Unread post by Library Ogre »

When dealing with mortals (i.e. non-MDC targets), your sniping is going to use a laser at unarmored targets. Long range (usually), and speed of light mean that if you can see it, you can hit it. Point and shoot, straight line. The atmosphere will give you minimal diffraction.

Really, in Rifts, I suspect you don't so much "snipe" as "call in an artillery strike". You don't want a good shot; you want a calculator that's good with trig.
-overproduced by Martin Hannett

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
Happiness is a long block list.
If you don't want to be vilified, don't act like a villain.
The Megaverse runs on vibes.
All Palladium Articles
Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
say652
Palladin

Unread post by say652 »

Sniping is useless against high mdc targets.
So the ambush is definitely the way to go.
Killer Cyborg
Priest

say652 wrote:Sniping is useless against high mdc targets.
So the ambush is definitely the way to go.

That depends on how you define "sniping," "useless," and "high MDC targets," as well as a number of other factors.

IF "sniping" is "making an aimed shot with a rifle from a concealed location," and "high MDC targets" includes "targets with 250+ main body MDC," and your GM has ruled that a SAMAS with only one wing can no longer fly, THEN I'll point out that a sniper with a rifle that inflicts 1d6x10 MD+ per attack (a CTT_P40, a JA-12, and so forth, can take out the wing of a SAMAS (30 MDC per wing) in a single attack roughly 50% of the time.
Then it comes out to whether or not one-shotting a SAMAS out of the air counts as "useless" or not.

say652
Palladin

Unread post by say652 »

Against machines and armor with mdc by location listed, called shots work.

Against a Dragon Hatchling with 400mdc not so much as no hit location multiplier exists.

I am sticking with my cs kill team for several reasons but, after much research they can use nonCS equipment especially when working undercover.
Alrik Vas
Knight
Comment: Don't waste your time gloating over a wounded enemy. Pull the damn trigger.

Unread post by Alrik Vas »

Glistam wrote:Are there any optic systems which have a range greater than 2,000 feet? That would seem to me to be a big challenge to overcome, too.

Many optics systems have x10 magnification. So getting a target sighted at 10,000ft isn't impossible.
Mark Hall wrote:Y'all seem to assume that Palladium books are written with the same exacting precision with which they are analyzed. I think that is... ambitious.

Talk from the Edge: Operation Dead Lift, Operation Reload, Operation Human Devil, Operation Handshake, Operation Windfall 1, Operation Windfall 2, Operation Sniper Wolf, Operation Natural 20
say652
Palladin

Unread post by say652 »

Using clairvoyance, astral projection etc. Could yhe team psychics assist in lining up the perfect shot?

Also laser targeting, can missiles be fired at painted tarhets without a line of sight?
Glistam
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: The silent thief of Rozrehxeson.

Unread post by Glistam »

Alrik Vas wrote:
Glistam wrote:Are there any optic systems which have a range greater than 2,000 feet? That would seem to me to be a big challenge to overcome, too.

Many optics systems have x10 magnification. So getting a target sighted at 10,000ft isn't impossible.

Can you give me a book and page number for a few of these, as examples? I've never seen any written that don't have a limit in feet which is generally 2,000 feet. I may just be looking in all the wrong books.
Zerebus: "I like MDC. MDC is a hundred times better than SDC."

kiralon: "...the best way to kill an old one is to crash a moon into it."

Temporal Wizard O.C.C. update 0.8 | Rifts random encounters
New Fire magic | New Temporal magic
Grim Gulf, the Nightlands version of Century Station

Let Chaos Magic flow in your campaigns.
Library Ogre
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: My comments do not necessarily represent the views of Palladium Books.

Unread post by Library Ogre »

say652 wrote:Using clairvoyance, astral projection etc. Could yhe team psychics assist in lining up the perfect shot?

Insofar as they can provide accurate locatoin information, yes.

Also laser targeting, can missiles be fired at painted tarhets without a line of sight?

l'd say yes... that's more less the point of laser designators. One guy shines a harmless laser at the target, and the missiles know the thing painted is their target.
-overproduced by Martin Hannett

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
Happiness is a long block list.
If you don't want to be vilified, don't act like a villain.
The Megaverse runs on vibes.
All Palladium Articles
Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
say652
Palladin

Unread post by say652 »

I appreciate all the input so far and would love to hear more.

Also post your vesion of a Sniper team and equipment.

When i get tactics and techniques ironed out, the Coalition team is going to be a fearsome force.
Killer Cyborg
Priest

say652 wrote:Against machines and armor with mdc by location listed, called shots work.

Against a Dragon Hatchling with 400mdc not so much as no hit location multiplier exists.

Exactly.
It all comes down to how you define "high MDC targets," and other key words.

Although with dragons, there is precedent for inflicting triple damage with called shots to the head or other vitals, and that could be significant with certain weapons, even with a dragon with that much MDC.

I am sticking with my cs kill team for several reasons but, after much research they can use nonCS equipment especially when working undercover.

Just tech equipment, I presume?

Regardless, if they have access to non-CS gear, I'd recommend they remove the rail guns from some of those Titan Robotics bots that have the 2d6x10 MD railguns, and make a more portable version that would work well for sniping.
120 MD on a good shot, with triple damage for a headshot or other vital, would be significant or deadly for most dragon hatchlings and other monsters.
Even on an average shot, you're looking at up to 210 MD for a vital strike. The range is pretty good as well.

Mack
Supreme Being
Comment: This space for rent.

Unread post by Mack »

For a house rule, I recommend that true Sniper OCCs get a class ability that aimed shots inflict double damage on a strike roll, with bonuses, of 17+. And triple damage on Nat 20s.
Some gave all.
Love your neighbor.
Know the facts. Know your opinion. Know the difference.
say652
Palladin

Unread post by say652 »

Mack wrote:For a house rule, I recommend that true Sniper OCCs get a class ability the aimed shots inflict double damage on a strike roll, with bonuses, of 17+. And triple damage on Nat 20s.

By substituting Deathblow in a shot deals double damage to sdc and hitpoints or just Double md that cant be bioregenerated for a period of time.

Instead of a new multiplier, letting a Snipers first surprise Attack count as Deathblow would kill most things on good rolls.
Pepsi Jedi
Palladin

Alrik Vas wrote:

Hitting something at 2 miles, with a X10 magnification scope.. lol.

Not trying to be mean, but it's not a given. At that distance you have to factor in curvature and what not. It's not 'Impossible' but it's a sort of "50 guys on the planet, MAYBE" sort of skill level, and that's with 7 Billion on earth right now.

Lt. Nyota Uhura: I'm impressed. For a moment there, I thought you were just a dumb hick who only has sex with farm animals.

Pepsi Jedi
Palladin

Jaymz recently put together a Sniper OCC. He might share it if asked nicely.

say652
Palladin

Unread post by say652 »

Pepsi Jedi wrote:Jaymz recently put together a Sniper OCC. He might share it if asked nicely.

I have a bunch of Jaymz Facebook stuff, love his Flying RodentMan and use him as a recurring npc.

The Sniper Occ. I wasnt posting about to avoid using things without permission.
say652
Palladin

Unread post by say652 »

Pepsi Jedi wrote:
Alrik Vas wrote:

Not trying to be mean, but it's not a given. At that distance you have to factor in curvature and what not. It's not 'Impossible' but it's a sort of "50 guys on the planet, MAYBE" sort of skill level, and that's with 7 Billion on earth right now.

Exact reason i say a Sniper should target the mainbody at distances greater than half a weapons max range.

If you deer hunt with a 243 at distance accuracy matters.
If you deer hunt with a 45/70 at distance, all you have to do is hit it.
eliakon
Palladin

Unread post by eliakon »

Pepsi Jedi wrote:
Alrik Vas wrote:

I also doubt that there are many people on the planet right now how can cast spells, survive being shot 17 times, shrug off a hand grenade, shoot bullseyes while blind folded or any of the other cinematicly kwel stuff that the game allows.
Its not a reality sim after all, its a highly cinematic game. I mean lets face it....when my laser scalpel can destroy a tank in under a minute realism didn't just leave the building, it never entered it in the first place.

Pepsi Jedi
Palladin

eliakon wrote:
Pepsi Jedi wrote:
Alrik Vas wrote:

I also doubt that there are many people on the planet right now how can cast spells, survive being shot 17 times, shrug off a hand grenade, shoot bullseyes while blind folded or any of the other cinematicly kwel stuff that the game allows.
Its not a reality sim after all, its a highly cinematic game. I mean lets face it....when my laser scalpel can destroy a tank in under a minute realism didn't just leave the building, it never entered it in the first place.

Alot more of them would be able to pull that off than hitting someonething two miles off with a rifle. For reference the world record currently stands at 8120ft. At that distance all sorts of factors come into play. Not the least of which is there's no scopes on the market currently with enough elevation to pull it off. I.E. you couldn't actually have the scope mounted on your rifle, look at your target, have it 'in' the scope, pull the trigger and expect the shot to 'hit'. To account for drop and everything you'd have to aim way above their head. And that's before you factor in wind and drift. With 0 wind, you still get drift but just for sake of arguement, if your bullet flew 'straight' for 2 miles, you'd still have to aim way way way over your target's head in hopes of hitting him. This complicates the shot even more because instead of flying in a straight line, you're shooting in an arc. That arc means your end target is much smaller as your bullet would be coming "Down' at almost a 45 degree angle.

Now, the common answer would be 'Well i'm shooting a laser. You don't have to arc those'. Still that doesn't change the fact that the shot is going to look like a grain of rice in a X10 scope at 2000 feet and movement at that range would put your shot off. A literal breath of air could make you miss by dozens of yards. Squeese during the wrong part of your breath, holding your breath or not, or even your heart beating could throw you off target at that range. Hitting something the size of a truck with a laser (Constant beam) Is almost impossible. Much less a 'shot' that would last a fraction of a second.

Sure there is 'willing suspension of disbelief. I understand that, and yes in rifts you need to suspend it farther than many other games, but still. Shy of a 100% flat line of two MILES with NOTHING in the way, a scope, a rifle that will reach that far (Few and far between I think most reach 2000m which is.. 1.24 miles?) and even then, trying to hit would be crazy hard. Is it 100% impossible? Eh... stranger things have happened. But it's not the sort of thing you're going to see more than once in a life time, if not once in a generation.

Remember, the all time(Verified) world record currently stands at 8,120ft. Well below the 10,000 foot range mentioned above.

Alrik Vas
Knight
Comment: Don't waste your time gloating over a wounded enemy. Pull the damn trigger.

Weapons in rifts are more different, optics are as well. The ranges on weapons incur 0 penalty. How does that translate to how you fire, do you think? Having your shot go in a straight line takes drop and drift out. Cyborgs and robots don't twitch, it's possible you could lock parts of PA or exoskeleton armor to keep from ruining your shot.

Plus drugs, drugs can do a lot. They do today.
Mark Hall wrote:Y'all seem to assume that Palladium books are written with the same exacting precision with which they are analyzed. I think that is... ambitious.

Talk from the Edge: Operation Dead Lift, Operation Reload, Operation Human Devil, Operation Handshake, Operation Windfall 1, Operation Windfall 2, Operation Sniper Wolf, Operation Natural 20
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Unread post by ShadowLogan »

Pepsi Jedi wrote:Not trying to be mean, but it's not a given. At that distance you have to factor in curvature and what not. It's not 'Impossible' but it's a sort of "50 guys on the planet, MAYBE" sort of skill level, and that's with 7 Billion on earth right now.

What about computer assisted targeting and other sensor types (radar for ex)? How does that factor in. At the range in question it seems more like a feat for a guy in Power Armor (or other mechanized platform).

Killer Cyborg wrote:Regardless, if they have access to non-CS gear, I'd recommend they remove the rail guns from some of those Titan Robotics bots that have the 2d6x10 MD railguns, and make a more portable version that would work well for sniping.

Those are basically Shemerian Railguns, which themselves are variants of the Glitterboy's Boomgun. Really I don't see a need for the CS to need these railguns to work out their own version, since the technology they already have basically it is just putting it together properly. It would be more modifying their existing railguns to fire a large slug instead of multiple smaller shells at a high rate of speed. IMHO.

Glitsam wrote:Can you give me a book and page number for a few of these, as examples? I've never seen any written that don't have a limit in feet which is generally 2,000 feet. I may just be looking in all the wrong books.

I'm curious myself, I thought the x# modifier only effected things w/n the range given and not enhancing the range.
Alrik Vas
Knight

About optics: are we talking about the same thing here? Honestly, if you can magnify out to 10,000ft, you can get a pretty good view of your target's nose hairs at 2,000. At 8,000ft you reach out with a dot sight and make the laser go.

For solid ammunition...you need serous talent and knowledge. For pew-pew it's not nearly as difficult.

Killer Cyborg
Priest

ShadowLogan wrote:
Killer Cyborg wrote:Regardless, if they have access to non-CS gear, I'd recommend they remove the rail guns from some of those Titan Robotics bots that have the 2d6x10 MD railguns, and make a more portable version that would work well for sniping.

Those are basically Shemerian Railguns, which themselves are variants of the Glitterboy's Boomgun. Really I don't see a need for the CS to need these railguns to work out their own version, since the technology they already have basically it is just putting it together properly. It would be more modifying their existing railguns to fire a large slug instead of multiple smaller shells at a high rate of speed. IMHO.

I go off of book stats, not what I think should be possible.
The Shemarrian railguns officially exist, and no CS equivalent officially does.

Alrik Vas
Knight

NG makes a rail gun carbine, the R-50. Fires slugs, range is meh but if they one day decide to produce a full sized rifle or specifically a weapon for sniping that uses the rail gun platform, it might be pretty good.

Return to “Rifts®”