Poll: handling drones/robots

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

When a player has access of Drones/AI robots, who runs them in a fight?

The Player has direct control, like if he was running a 2nd character.
20%
The Player says what they want it to do, but the GM runs it like an NPC
50%
Somewhere in between (please describe)
20%
Haven't had it come up in game yet
10%
I Don't let my players have such things
No votes
Other (please specify below)
No votes

Total votes: 20

glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Poll: handling drones/robots

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

Rifts (and several other palladium games) have plenty of simple-AI controlled robots/drones options. devices which while self directing in actions* don't possess personality, and thus better fit under the category of "player/group equipment" instead of "group ally/member"

the possibility of a player getting a hold of say, a unit of skelebots or NG work drones is certainly there, and of course a player is going to want to make use of the options such equipment can provide.

however, in thinking on this subject recently, i started to wonder how most groups handle such dynamics.

in one sense, such robots/drones are a form of NPC and such the Gamemaster would seem like the person who'd be running the bot/drone, with he player just giving orders said bot/drone will follow.

on the otherhand, since the bot/drone is under the command of a player, you could also make an arguement that the player should be the one to do the work of describing the drone's actions and making it's dice rolls and the like, effectively treating it like a 2nd character being run by that player.

and it seems likely that there are a variety of methods that would fall between these two, and perhaps some that aren't even covered by either.

so in your groups/games, which method do you prefer to use?

( *in the sense that they do not require someone to remotely control all their actions, the way a RC car/plane does)
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
Armorlord
Hero

Re: Poll: handling drones/robots

Unread post by Armorlord »

If we are talking simple AI the character issues orders to, then they issue the orders and you report wharever feedback they have on the drones actions as it carries them out. For results they are immediately aware of, I will tend to have the player roll for it.
For ones they are pretty much directly controlling, that it pretty much on them like a vehicle would be.
For AI units at a more pet or mount level, I'll tend to let they describe interactions more with some interjections from my end, whereas those with a higher intelligence I will tend to handle as an NPC.
Talking to you is sort of the conversational equivalent of an out-of-body experience. -Susie (Calvin and Hobbes)
It's not impossible, it's just really unfair. :( -Trance Gemini (Andromeda)
Tarnow and Romanov: Neighbors!

Politeness is not a shield, and criticism is not a sword to swing repeatedly.
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

yeah, i was thinking of AI on the lines of Pet/Mount for this. less than that and it tends to need constant control from a character to do anything useful, more than that and your looking at something that is full NPC.

imagine a scenario for example where a player has a pair of NG workbots with the combat program. he's now got a set of 'pets' that he can order around, but which can follow those orders without being remotely micromanaged.

there are some non-robotic ways similar situation can arise (like say, the class in splicers with the hounds, or a shifter with some more simple minded monsters summoned) too, though it was AI drones that got me thinking about it.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
Alrik Vas
Knight
Comment: Don't waste your time gloating over a wounded enemy. Pull the damn trigger.

Unread post by Alrik Vas »

player gives basic direction in combat, the drone competes the task Aaccording to its programming. I run them as NPCs in that regard. if the drone has had its strategy modified by player programming, then I would consider letting the player directly control it and make rolls.
Mark Hall wrote:Y'all seem to assume that Palladium books are written with the same exacting precision with which they are analyzed. I think that is... ambitious.

Talk from the Edge: Operation Dead Lift, Operation Reload, Operation Human Devil, Operation Handshake, Operation Windfall 1, Operation Windfall 2, Operation Sniper Wolf, Operation Natural 20
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Unread post by Killer Cyborg »

Depends on the adventure, and how many players there are, and such.
Annual Best Poster of the Year Awards (2012)

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!
Blue_Lion
Knight

Unread post by Blue_Lion »

Drone randomly starts killing all PC and any humanoid life it encounters.
The Clones are coming you shall all be replaced, but who is to say you have not been replaced already.

Master of Type-O and the obvios.

Soon my army oc clones and winged-monkies will rule the world but first, must .......

I may debate canon and RAW, but the games I run are highly house ruled. So I am not debating for how I play but about how the system works as written.
Kagashi
Champion

Unread post by Kagashi »

Unless the player is in direct control of the bot (like remote piloting...deliberately spending actions to control the bot like VRDS bots in MiO), he can give orders then the bots are run by the GM as NPCs (like Skelebots or Naruni attack drones).

I do the same thing with Shifters and summoned demons. Orders are given, and the demon executes the orders through the GM ("destroy the Coalition soldiers!").

Likewise, the difference between Zombies/Mummies and Animated Dead. Animated Dead are under direct control of the mage (he must concentrate to control them, spending attacks to maneuver the skeletons like a puppeteer does a marionette), whereas the Zombies/Mummies can take orders and the GM NPCs them ("Go harvest that field")

When a player has a tamed riding animal like a horse or fury beetle, the player is in semi-control of the animal when riding him to get from point A to point B. However during combat, unless the character is directly controlling the beast to run in a particular direction (spent an action "piloting" the beast), the beast may fight on its own accord (controlled by the NPC), especially if it becomes spooked (I use some sort of HF roll to see if it does). So that one is a mix and not so black and white to me.
I want to see from Palladium:
Updated Aug 2015
-Rifts: Dark Woods/Deep South, Space 110 PA, Scandinavia
-Mechanoids: Space (MDC)
-Robotech: Errata for Marines timeline, Masters Deluxe with SC and UEEF gear, Spaceships
-Updated Errata for post-2006 printings of Rifts books
-Searchable, quality PDFs/E-pubs of current Rifts titles
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Unread post by ShadowLogan »

It hasn't come up:
Regardless, they would be responsible for tracking the Drone(s) "health" and "payload(s)" (where applicable).

If the drone is "Shadowing" the character (like Marcross 2's Valk. Squires IIRC), where they mimic the character (target what he/she/it targets, move when they do, etc). That is clearly a case of PC handling. I would also include something that is under their direct control here (ie it uses their actions) or something that is acting as an extension of them.

In general, it would depend on how well the player can manage multiple characters to avoid metagaming mangement/coordination. That may mean all the drones actions are declared for a given round of the melee before resolution rolls are done. I could also see having Player B being responsible for some of Player A's "drones" actions, instead of letting Player A (or the GM) handle it to avoid metagaming (why is this drone suddely changing targets).

I do think that any time the character has to give a command to a "drone(s)" it should count as an attack/action for the melee. Drones capable of independent action, don't eat into the character's attacks though while they execute a command (the command itself will still take an attack/action though).

If there is a large number of Drones to manage, I'd likely switch to cinematic resolution.
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

looks like the general trend is "Player gives the drones orders, GM runs them as NPC's"

ok. since some of my recent writing projects include various forms of AI and AI drones, i understandably got curious.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
RiftJunkie
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by RiftJunkie »

Blue_Lion wrote:Drone randomly starts killing all PC and any humanoid life it encounters.

Welcome to Splicers! :lol:

I normally run them as NPCs with the PC in control making any rolls necessary. Has worked well for me.
My apologies up front if my posts come across as argumentative or crass. It is not a personal attack on anyone, just my blunt style. I bear no ill will towards anybody that plays Palladium Games (there’s not enough of us to hold a grudge).
Library Ogre
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: My comments do not necessarily represent the views of Palladium Books.

Unread post by Library Ogre »

Especially with Skelebots, I think the "Pet/Mount level" is pretty accurate. They're not really intelligent, just able to function in their milleu, given sufficient direction. So, put them in combat and give them targetting parameters, they're ok. If you want to use them for something else, you need to use much more careful control.
-overproduced by Martin Hannett

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
Happiness is a long block list.
If you don't want to be vilified, don't act like a villain.
The Megaverse runs on vibes.
All Palladium Articles
Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
Blue_Lion
Knight

RiftJunkie wrote:
Blue_Lion wrote:Drone randomly starts killing all PC and any humanoid life it encounters.

I normally run them as NPCs with the PC in control making any rolls necessary. Has worked well for me.

Or it could be like the terminator but only have TW like.

The new TW-1001(AKA the munchkin hunter typcialy deployed in groups of 1K per player.)
TW robot golem.
Has 750 MDC. Regenerates 3d6 MDC per hour.(note even if destroyed will reform in 24 hours unless its PPE rift reactor heart is removed.)
PPE rift reactor providing it with 3000PPE(removing the PPE reactor will cause a swallowing rift to happen in a 500' radius to a dimension that is instant death.
recovers 1d4X10 PPE minute
Has the fallowing spell features at level 15.
Teleport greater
Armor of ithan
Prophecy
special tag target spell allows it to detect a targets location any where on the planet and teleport it last 96 hours cost 250PPE
Impervious to energy
Carpet of adhesion
weapons
Shoulder mounted cannon does 2d6X10 MD range 1.75 miles
Laser eye beams 4d6MD per blast range 4000'
Supernatural PS 69
7 attacks per round
+6 initiative
+5 to strike parry and dodge.
Full spectrum optics and built in radar.
See invisible
Detect magic 200' range
Detect Psionics 500' range.
IQ equal to 19
The Clones are coming you shall all be replaced, but who is to say you have not been replaced already.

Soon my army oc clones and winged-monkies will rule the world but first, must .......

I may debate canon and RAW, but the games I run are highly house ruled. So I am not debating for how I play but about how the system works as written.
Bill
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Bill »

I let players handle droids, familiars, and hirelings in combat. I have enough to manage and, if I need the spare character to do something, it's not like I can't take over.
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

Spoiler:
Blue_Lion wrote:
RiftJunkie wrote:

The new TW-1001(AKA the munchkin hunter typcialy deployed in groups of 1K per player.)
TW robot golem.
Has 750 MDC. Regenerates 3d6 MDC per hour.(note even if destroyed will reform in 24 hours unless its PPE rift reactor heart is removed.)
PPE rift reactor providing it with 3000PPE(removing the PPE reactor will cause a swallowing rift to happen in a 500' radius to a dimension that is instant death.
Teleport greater
Armor of ithan
Prophecy
special tag target spell allows it to detect a targets location any where on the planet and teleport it last 96 hours cost 250PPE
Impervious to energy
Carpet of adhesion
weapons
Supernatural PS 69
7 attacks per round
+6 initiative
See invisible
Detect magic 200' range
IQ equal to 19

Uhhhhh just curious....but how is the stats for some munchkin/anti-munchkin robot relevant to the thread?

THAT said. My attitude is that I allow the player to run them, unless that privilege is abused. Then I can and will take over.
I tend to allow great lee way in what I will let players have their 'minions' do....with in reason.
Your robot is certainly willing to sacrifice its existence for you slavishly....that bound demon? Not So Much.
I tell the player stuff like "your hired TW is demanding either a pay raise, or Thursdays off" and let them either do it, or RP out the negotiations. so far it has usually worked out pretty well.
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Blue_Lion
Knight

eliakon wrote:
Spoiler:
Blue_Lion wrote:
RiftJunkie wrote:

TW robot golem.
Teleport greater
Armor of ithan
Prophecy
Impervious to energy
Carpet of adhesion
weapons
Supernatural PS 69
7 attacks per round
+6 initiative
See invisible
Detect magic 200' range
IQ equal to 19

Uhhhhh just curious....but how is the stats for some munchkin/anti-munchkin robot relevant to the thread?

THAT said. My attitude is that I allow the player to run them, unless that privilege is abused. Then I can and will take over.
I tend to allow great lee way in what I will let players have their 'minions' do....with in reason.
Your robot is certainly willing to sacrifice its existence for you slavishly....that bound demon? Not So Much.
I tell the player stuff like "your hired TW is demanding either a pay raise, or Thursdays off" and let them either do it, or RP out the negotiations. so far it has usually worked out pretty well.

That was just me being silly.
It was not even stated right.

Crow Splat
Explorer

Unread post by Crow Splat »

It depends on the player and the type of drone we are talking about. Basic AI I will typically run but the players will make skill rolls for. That way it still is an independent character but I don't have to keep track of its stats and skills.

If I trust the player and they want a pet or npc companion, I will let them run it. But if it becomes apparent that the npc is just there to make the PC more powerful, I will intervene. I tell the players, their companion shouldn't just be a yes man and agree all the time. Pets can be stubborn sometimes too, so they shouldn't have, even trained, animal companions always following orders perfectly.
kaid
Knight

Unread post by kaid »

Depends on the drone/robot. Most the player can tell priorities to like attack that thing or protect me and then the robots AI works more like an NPC to execute their orders to the best of its abilities.

One of the funniest incidents though was somebody who wanted a robot to man their bulldog's exterior turret. They could only get the non combat oriented NG model but it had an emergency fire fighting program. So they messed with its sensors so it saw the rail gun as a giant fire hose so the guy had to throw up his damage control simulator to make things he wanted it to shoot look like they were on fire holographically so the drone would start engaging them to "put their fires out"

Return to “Rifts®”