Supernatural Strength Damage above 70

If Super Heroes/Heroines & Super Villains are your game, discuss them here.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Razorwing
Hero

Supernatural Strength Damage above 70

Unread post by Razorwing »

Recently I was working on a Character for a little project of mine (he's named Dreadnaught) and ran into a little problem... namely that the damage provided by the table for Supernatural Strength only goes up to a PS of 70... and Dreadnaught's PS can go considerably higher (Growth Power). In fact at his maximum height of 100 ft, he would have a Supernatural PS of 135... nearly double what the chart provides for.

Has there been any official extensions on the Strength Chart for Supernatural PS that goes beyond 70... my search-fu doesn't seem to be finding anything on this forum. I have extrapolated a rough estimate of what I think it might be like as a stop-gap until I find something official... and I am sort of curious as to whether or not I am even close.
There are three types of people in the world; those who can count and those who can't.
AzathothXy
Adventurer

Re: Supernatural Strength Damage above 70

Unread post by AzathothXy »

If you have Century Station, the character Obsidian has a strength around that number.
The Nuclear Chaos
That thing is not dead which has the capacity to continue to exist eternally,
And if the abnormal ones come,then death may cease to be
Razorwing
Hero

I couldn't find any Character named Obsidian in the Century Station book, but I did find one named Obelisk... and the Denizen (Gramercy Isle) also has a Supernatural PS around the same level.

Sadly, it would appear that they just used the base damage stats for Supernatural PS of 61-70... even though these characters are 50+ points over that. Not sure if it was just a case of using what was available or not wanting to push the power level of the game too high (like that is possible with the Mega Hero/Villain option)... or someone just got lazy with those write-ups and couldn't be bothered (since what are the chances of anyone else getting a Supernatural PS that high?). Overall, I am a little disappointed by this... you'd think someone would have noticed that the Supernatural PS chart doesn't cover the highest levels of strength possible (though rarely achieved) and continued the chart. Yes, at this level of strength, the damage might reach some rather frightening levels... but then that is what we expect with strength of this magnitude, yes?

So... since we apparently have no "official" rules (and I refuse to believe that someone with 130+ Supernatural PS does the same damage as someone with a mere 61 Supernatural PS), I guess it falls to the homebrewed House Rules to see what others have come up with.
There are three types of people in the world; those who can count and those who can't.
AzathothXy
Adventurer

Unread post by AzathothXy »

Razorwing wrote:I couldn't find any Character named Obsidian in the Century Station book, but I did find one named Obelisk... and the Denizen (Gramercy Isle) also has a Supernatural PS around the same level.

Sadly, it would appear that they just used the base damage stats for Supernatural PS of 61-70... even though these characters are 50+ points over that. Not sure if it was just a case of using what was available or not wanting to push the power level of the game too high (like that is possible with the Mega Hero/Villain option)... or someone just got lazy with those write-ups and couldn't be bothered (since what are the chances of anyone else getting a Supernatural PS that high?). Overall, I am a little disappointed by this... you'd think someone would have noticed that the Supernatural PS chart doesn't cover the highest levels of strength possible (though rarely achieved) and continued the chart. Yes, at this level of strength, the damage might reach some rather frightening levels... but then that is what we expect with strength of this magnitude, yes?

So... since we apparently have no "official" rules (and I refuse to believe that someone with 130+ Supernatural PS does the same damage as someone with a mere 61 Supernatural PS), I guess it falls to the homebrewed House Rules to see what others have come up with.

Sorry, I meant Obelisk. Didn't have my access to the book when I responded.
The Nuclear Chaos
That thing is not dead which has the capacity to continue to exist eternally,
And if the abnormal ones come,then death may cease to be
Razorwing
Hero

I figured you might have meant Obelisk, which is why I suggested the character as a possible correction... and also suggested the Denizen from Gramercy Isle as it has an even closer Supernatural P.S. to my character Dreadnaught (only 3 points less).

Here is what I'm currently working with as a House Rule:

P.S. 71 to 80: 6d6 SDC on a restrained punch, 2d6x10 SDC on a full strength punch, 4d6x10 SDC on a power punch (two attacks).

P.S. 81 to 90: 1d4x10 SDC on a restrained punch, 4d4x10 SDC on a full strength punch, 5d6x10 SDC on a power punch (two attacks).

P.S. 91 to 100: 1d6x10 SDC on a restrained punch, 3d6x10 SDC on a full strength punch, 6d6x10 SDC on a power punch (two attacks).

P.S. 101 to 120: 2d4x10 SDC on a restrained punch, 4d6x10 SDC on a full strength punch, 1d4x100 SDC on a power punch (two attacks).

P.S. 121 to 140: 2d6x10 SDC on a restrained punch, 5d6x10 SDC on a full strength punch, 1d6x100 SDC on a power punch (two attacks).

P.S. 141 to 160: 4d4x10 SDC on a restrained punch, 6d6x10 SDC on a full strength punch, 2d4x100 SDC on a power punch (two attacks).

P.S. 161 to 180: 3d6x10 SDC on a restrained punch, 1d6x100 SDC on a full strength punch, 2d6x100 SDC on a power punch (two attacks).

P.S. 181 to 200: 4d6x10 SDC on a restrained punch, 2d4x100 SDC on a full strength punch, 3d6x100 SDC on a power punch (two attacks).

P.S. 201 or higher: 5d6x10 SDC on a restrained punch, 2d6x100 SDC on a full strength punch, 4d6x100 SDC on a power punch (two attacks).

As you can see, the amount of damage being done at the highest levels are getting a little scary... especially on a power punch... but this is the case with the strongest characters in comics who can rarely unleash their full might on anyone (Superman for example has to be very careful how much of his strength he uses; only against beings the like of Darkseid of Doomsday can he even consider letting loose his full strength attacks).

To my knowledge, it will be difficult to get a Supernatural P.S. significantly higher than 200 to require a damage bracket higher than the P.S. 201+ I've provided... at least within the current levels of power for even Mega-Beings. As it stands, one would need a very high P.S. to start with and the right combination of Major Powers to come close to this... and may even still need the Tremendous P.S. Mega Power to make it this far. Additionally, such an insanely strong character would be very, very rare (we are talking about Superman at his most powerful level of strength rare).
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

Razorwing wrote:I figured you might have meant Obelisk, which is why I suggested the character as a possible correction... and also suggested the Denizen from Gramercy Isle as it has an even closer Supernatural P.S. to my character Dreadnaught (only 3 points less).

Here is what I'm currently working with as a House Rule:

P.S. 71 to 80: 6d6 SDC on a restrained punch, 2d6x10 SDC on a full strength punch, 4d6x10 SDC on a power punch (two attacks).

P.S. 81 to 90: 1d4x10 SDC on a restrained punch, 4d4x10 SDC on a full strength punch, 5d6x10 SDC on a power punch (two attacks).

P.S. 91 to 100: 1d6x10 SDC on a restrained punch, 3d6x10 SDC on a full strength punch, 6d6x10 SDC on a power punch (two attacks).

P.S. 101 to 120: 2d4x10 SDC on a restrained punch, 4d6x10 SDC on a full strength punch, 1d4x100 SDC on a power punch (two attacks).

P.S. 121 to 140: 2d6x10 SDC on a restrained punch, 5d6x10 SDC on a full strength punch, 1d6x100 SDC on a power punch (two attacks).

P.S. 141 to 160: 4d4x10 SDC on a restrained punch, 6d6x10 SDC on a full strength punch, 2d4x100 SDC on a power punch (two attacks).

P.S. 161 to 180: 3d6x10 SDC on a restrained punch, 1d6x100 SDC on a full strength punch, 2d6x100 SDC on a power punch (two attacks).

P.S. 181 to 200: 4d6x10 SDC on a restrained punch, 2d4x100 SDC on a full strength punch, 3d6x100 SDC on a power punch (two attacks).

P.S. 201 or higher: 5d6x10 SDC on a restrained punch, 2d6x100 SDC on a full strength punch, 4d6x100 SDC on a power punch (two attacks).

As you can see, the amount of damage being done at the highest levels are getting a little scary... especially on a power punch... but this is the case with the strongest characters in comics who can rarely unleash their full might on anyone (Superman for example has to be very careful how much of his strength he uses; only against beings the like of Darkseid of Doomsday can he even consider letting loose his full strength attacks).

To my knowledge, it will be difficult to get a Supernatural P.S. significantly higher than 200 to require a damage bracket higher than the P.S. 201+ I've provided... at least within the current levels of power for even Mega-Beings. As it stands, one would need a very high P.S. to start with and the right combination of Major Powers to come close to this... and may even still need the Tremendous P.S. Mega Power to make it this far. Additionally, such an insanely strong character would be very, very rare (we are talking about Superman at his most powerful level of strength rare).

Or a N&SS Martial Artist using Physical Chi :P
Which is probably why they just stopped the table when they did and just went with the +1 per point :D
The table is interesting, though the upper numbers seem to jump A LOT especially the quantum jump at 161 after that the damage inflates rapidly (1d6 becomes 2d4 becomes 2d6) but if your looking to have your juggernauts instantly kill lesser foes with their hands then I guess it works.
If I was to extend the table, I would just follow the progression of adding 1d6 damage for every 10 levels of PS. (so PS 71-80 would do 6d6/2d4x10+1d6/3d6x10+1d6) though I am not sure you really NEED that.
PS 70 does 2d4x10+70
PS 135 under the old chart does 2d4x10+135 damage.
PS 135 under the new chart does 5d6x10+135 damage
which means that the PS 135 is doing, on average 310 damage to the PS 70s 100, or more than 3 times the damage.
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Glistam
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: The silent thief of Rozrehxeson.

Unread post by Glistam »

Maybe this link will help you? It was my first search result:

HU2 Supernatural Strength over 70
Zerebus: "I like MDC. MDC is a hundred times better than SDC."

kiralon: "...the best way to kill an old one is to crash a moon into it."

Temporal Wizard O.C.C. update 0.8 | Rifts random encounters
New Fire magic | New Temporal magic
Grim Gulf, the Nightlands version of Century Station

Let Chaos Magic flow in your campaigns.
Razorwing
Hero

I just noticed that the last bracket of the original chart went up by 20 points, while the bracket before it was only 10 points... which suggests that the brackets I was using (at 10 and 20) may be too small for the increased damage over all... so, I think I am going to rework them a little.

P.S. 71 to 100: 6d6 SDC on a restrained punch, 2d6x10 SDC on a full strength punch, 4d6x10 SDC on a power punch (two attacks).

P.S. 101 to 140: 1d4x10 SDC on a restrained punch, 4d4x10 SDC on a full strength punch, 5d6x10 SDC on a power punch (two attacks).

P.S. 141 to 190: 1d6x10 SDC on a restrained punch, 3d6x10 SDC on a full strength punch, 6d6x10 SDC on a power punch (two attacks).

P.S. 191 to 250: 2d4x10 SDC on a restrained punch, 4d6x10 SDC on a full strength punch, 1d4x100 SDC on a power punch (two attacks).

P.S. 251 and higher: 2d6x10 SDC on a restrained punch, 5d6x10 SDC on a full strength punch, 1d6x100 SDC on a power punch (two attacks).

The reason I think this works better is because as strength reaches this level, it takes a greater amount of points to deal a greater amount of base damage (beyond the P.S. bonus). Following the trend at the end of the original chart of +10 and +20, I went with an increase of 30, 40, 50 and 60... the chances of getting a PS far enough beyond 251 to require an additional bracket (at the current trend it would require a Supernatural PS of 321+) is probably beyond what can be done within the current rules, so I think I will leave my modified chart here.

As for the concerns Eliakon had... well I think this cures the major one (namely the seeming "quantum" jump in damage that was there at the old 161 level). Still... the 1d6 to 2d4 to 2d6 is not as much of a quantum jump as one would think; actually it keeps the maximum number lower than constantly going up by 1d6 with each bracket... 1d6 to 2d6 to 3d6 in the same span.

As for the idea of just adding 1d6 to something like 2d4x10 or 3d6x10... well... that could get quite confusing at higher levels where you are rolling things like 3d6x10+9d6 (not to mention slowing down the game considerably to count dice... even if you rolled the 3d6 that gets the x10 multiplier separately from the 9d6 that doesn't. Best to keep the number of dice rolled small and simple to keep things quick and easy... which my modified chart does.
Last edited by Razorwing on Tue Nov 04, 2014 9:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Razorwing
Hero

Maybe this link will help you? It was my first search result:

HU2 Supernatural Strength over 70

I don't know why, but I had a problem with the link that made it very difficult to read what they were saying. That said... your search-fu was stronger than mine... I didn't even get that hit.
Severus Snape
Hero
Comment: You ought to be careful. People will think you're....up....to something.

Unread post by Severus Snape »

Check Kittenstomp's tables. The SNPS table might give you what you need?
Razorwing
Hero

Do you have a link to it Severus?
fbdaury
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by fbdaury »

I've never really had an issue with how the damage for Supernatural PS scales up, or even the cap out of damage at 51-70, since most are not likely to go beyond that level of strength NORMALLY (see emphasis) but I do find the lifting weights to be extremely weak in comparison to the damage done- I'm a comics guy and I LIKE my super-strong Mega-Thug SlowPoke (PS 95) being able to topple a building or lift a passenger train to then beat the heroes into submission with (all while they try to say the innocents inside). Has anyone addressed some reasonable way of increasing/altering the lift and carry weights for Superstrong/Supernatural PS beings?
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

fbdaury wrote:I've never really had an issue with how the damage for Supernatural PS scales up, or even the cap out of damage at 51-70, since most are not likely to go beyond that level of strength NORMALLY (see emphasis) but I do find the lifting weights to be extremely weak in comparison to the damage done- I'm a comics guy and I LIKE my super-strong Mega-Thug SlowPoke (PS 95) being able to topple a building or lift a passenger train to then beat the heroes into submission with (all while they try to say the innocents inside). Has anyone addressed some reasonable way of increasing/altering the lift and carry weights for Superstrong/Supernatural PS beings?

To be honest when I run Comic Book games I tend to make lifting levels be highly arbitrary. I use PS for punch damage, and as a general guide line....but I let the players set their lift capacities (with in reason) You might have two different characters, both with supernatural PS of 30. The first wants to be a hard hitting mystic martial artist, and just uses the 'normal' table, that's all cool. The second character though is a mighty titan of epic strength and might.....I don't really have a problem letting them say "Can I lift 60-100 tons so I can throw tanks?" Because throwing tanks is in character, and in genre...then voila he can now pick up and carry 100 tons, and thus will be thinking about taking the W.P. :Tank skill. :bandit:
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
fbdaury
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by fbdaury »

eliakon wrote:
fbdaury wrote:I've never really had an issue with how the damage for Supernatural PS scales up, or even the cap out of damage at 51-70, since most are not likely to go beyond that level of strength NORMALLY (see emphasis) but I do find the lifting weights to be extremely weak in comparison to the damage done- I'm a comics guy and I LIKE my super-strong Mega-Thug SlowPoke (PS 95) being able to topple a building or lift a passenger train to then beat the heroes into submission with (all while they try to say the innocents inside). Has anyone addressed some reasonable way of increasing/altering the lift and carry weights for Superstrong/Supernatural PS beings?

To be honest when I run Comic Book games I tend to make lifting levels be highly arbitrary. I use PS for punch damage, and as a general guide line....but I let the players set their lift capacities (with in reason) You might have two different characters, both with supernatural PS of 30. The first wants to be a hard hitting mystic martial artist, and just uses the 'normal' table, that's all cool. The second character though is a mighty titan of epic strength and might.....I don't really have a problem letting them say "Can I lift 60-100 tons so I can throw tanks?" Because throwing tanks is in character, and in genre...then voila he can now pick up and carry 100 tons, and thus will be thinking about taking the W.P. :Tank skill. :bandit:

I like the idea behind your process but there's no way I'd let someone with PS 30, even Supernatural, be in the Class 100 strength range- Class 25-30 sure!
Razorwing
Hero

The simplest solution is to increase the amount of weight one can lift... especially when it comes to SNPS. While the 300/500 carry/lift capacity is a huge increase from previous capacities... it still feels rather weak compared to current comics... especially when it really isn't that big of an increase over Superhuman PS (which is merely a minor power). I tend to allow characters with SNPS to carry 1 ton per PS point and lift 5 tons per point to give these characters an appropriate amount of strength over all... and makes the power feel like it belongs as a Major power (more so with those who are Mega Heroes with SNPS as opposed to non-Megas with SNPS).
fbdaury
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by fbdaury »

Razorwing wrote:The simplest solution is to increase the amount of weight one can lift... especially when it comes to SNPS. While the 300/500 carry/lift capacity is a huge increase from previous capacities... it still feels rather weak compared to current comics... especially when it really isn't that big of an increase over Superhuman PS (which is merely a minor power). I tend to allow characters with SNPS to carry 1 ton per PS point and lift 5 tons per point to give these characters an appropriate amount of strength over all... and makes the power feel like it belongs as a Major power (more so with those who are Mega Heroes with SNPS as opposed to non-Megas with SNPS).

How about Supernatural PS: up to 45= PSx750lbs. carry, PSx1 Ton lift
46-60= PSx1 Ton carry, PSx1.5 Tons lift
61+= PSx2 Tons carry, PSx3.5 Tons lift

So, again- my supernaturally strong, fast as a garden slug Mega-Thug SlowPoke, with his whopping PS 95 can carry 190 Tons and lift 332.5 Tons!
eliakon
Palladin

Unread post by eliakon »

fbdaury wrote:
eliakon wrote:

I like the idea behind your process but there's no way I'd let someone with PS 30, even Supernatural, be in the Class 100 strength range- Class 25-30 sure!

Well the trade off was easy....I let them pick up tanks, and they didn't munch out the build to get a PS of two zillion and instantly kill everything they hit with the +ps damage mod. it worked out pretty well actually...the tank looks cool, and is cinematic....but it only instantly kills scrubs and bystanders......

NMI
OLD ONE

Unread post by NMI »

"Freedom is the recognition that no single person, no single authority or government has a monopoly on the truth, but that every individual life is infinitely precious, that every one of us put on this world has been put there for a reason and has something to offer."
Megaversal Ambassador Coordinator
My GoFund Me - Help Me Walk Again
Glistam
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: The silent thief of Rozrehxeson.

Unread post by Glistam »

Take the P.S. weight limit multipliers and apply them to weight limit of an equivalent normal P.S. score rather than the P.S. number and see if that increases things for you. There's also a rule in the later books that for every 5 P.S. over 30, the weight limit is increased by 30%. These two things may get you closer to the weight limits you're looking for.
Zerebus: "I like MDC. MDC is a hundred times better than SDC."

kiralon: "...the best way to kill an old one is to crash a moon into it."

Temporal Wizard O.C.C. update 0.8 | Rifts random encounters
New Fire magic | New Temporal magic
Grim Gulf, the Nightlands version of Century Station

Let Chaos Magic flow in your campaigns.

Return to “Heroes Unlimited™”