What movies most influenced your GMing creativity?

This is a place for G.M.s and GM wannabes to share ideas and their own methods of play. It is not a locked forum so be aware your players may be watching!

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Mechghost
Explorer

Re: What movies most influenced your GMing creativity?

Unread post by Mechghost »

The Star Wars movies, Indiana Jones movies, the Alien movies, Predator movies, Starship Troopers movies, Ghost and the Darkness, The Dark Crystal, A Bridge to Far, The Longest Day, Silverado, The Howling movies, The Mummy movies ("Here catch" with the cat is so a gaming reaction), Marcoss/Robotech anime. The Black Hole, Tron (both), The Dirty Pair, Patlabour, Tremors, Split Second.

Just off the top of my head.
"Did you find him?"
"Just the parts they didn't like..."
Alrik Vas
Knight
Comment: Don't waste your time gloating over a wounded enemy. Pull the damn trigger.

Unread post by Alrik Vas »

Mostly westerns, samurai movies...basically the stuff that influenced the game itself.
Mark Hall wrote:Y'all seem to assume that Palladium books are written with the same exacting precision with which they are analyzed. I think that is... ambitious.

Talk from the Edge: Operation Dead Lift, Operation Reload, Operation Human Devil, Operation Handshake, Operation Windfall 1, Operation Windfall 2, Operation Sniper Wolf, Operation Natural 20
SpiritInterface
Hero

Unread post by SpiritInterface »

Where to start, where to start...

The Japanese 'Starman' movies, Ultra Man, Space Pirate Harlock, Kaiju movies (Godzilla, Gamera, ect.), Super Friends, Westerns, all manner of "B" Horrors (loved Bob Wilken's Creature Features), Kelly's Heroes, the Wild Geese, Where Eagles Dare, Kick Ass (1 and 2), the Sea Wolves, Support your local Sheriff, Support your local Gunfighter, and many more.
Veni Vidi Vici
Una Salus Victis Nullam Sperare Salutem
Sic vis pacem, Para bellum
Audentes fortuna iuvat
O Tolmon Nika
Oderint Dum Metuant
random_username
Dungeon Crawler
Comment: Just an old dude Gamer (GM and Player) who had the honor of gaming with several great groups of folks over the years.

Unread post by random_username »

This topic reminded me a bit of a offshoot of movies about aliens/D-Bees attempting to blend in in human civilization:

Coneheads http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0106598/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1 Fully absurd comedy from Saturday Night Live alumni.

They Live http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0096256/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1 So bad its good Sci-Fi B-Movie. With one memorable action hero catch phrase.

Another minor offshoot in a post-apocalyptic setting is:

Fist of the North Star http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0142371/?ref_=nv_sr_2 One of the best brief sequences in this movie can be found here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SwkveulfDz4 This is probably the best makeshift trailer for the movie. Probable nominations for: best hero entrances, exceptional female child, and dumbest villains.
Last edited by random_username on Tue Jun 03, 2014 8:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
If something makes the RPG experience better that's great. If not don't use it.

If not overly informative hopefully it was at least mildly amusing. Munchkin Clown Away! <fwoosh... honk, honk>
flatline
Knight

Unread post by flatline »

Hmm...I've been more influenced by books than movies, but even so, there are too many to name. But here are some and I'll try to point out how they've influenced my gaming.

Star Wars episodes 4-6
Anyone can be a hero if they're in the right place at the right time.

Indiana Jones 1-3
Interaction between characters is as important as advancing the plot.

Alien trilogy
If you never give your players a straight up fight and keep them in the dark about the enemy, their imaginations will build things up more than you ever could.

Conan the Barbarian (although the stories were better than the movie)
Even cliche characters and shallow story lines can be fun if you have the right attitude about it.

The Zero Effect
If you're patient, the story will advance itself.

The Usual Suspects
People don't have to like each other or even have similar motivations work well as a team.
Never try to rush the players when they're coming up with a plan. Coming up a good plan might be the funnest thing they'll do all night.

Starchaser: The Legend of Orin (really had to dig deep to come up with the name of this one)
A cool gimmick can totally save a lame idea.
Also, just because it seems lame to adults doesn't mean kids won't totally love it.

--flatline
I don't care about canon answers. I'm interested in good, well-reasoned answers and, perhaps, a short discussion of how that answer is supported or contradicted by canon.

If I don't provide a book and page number, then don't assume that I'm describing canon. I'll tell you if I'm describing canon.
dragonfett
Knight

Unread post by dragonfett »

I sometimes get inspiration from other video games. I have stolen, err, "borrowed" quest objectives from games like Vampire: The Masquerade: Bloodlines and Morrowind and usually other RPG games.

Books that have inspired me would be LotR trilogy, Jurassic Park series, and a couple of others.

Movies, Star Wars some, 13th Warrior, Hackers, and a few others I could name if I wasn't so darned tired.
Under the Pain of Death
I would Stand Alone
Against an Army of Darkness
And Horrors Unknown
flatline
Knight

Unread post by flatline »

If the topic is expanding to include books, David Drake's Northworld trilogy is a must read for all Rifts GMs.

--flatline
I don't care about canon answers. I'm interested in good, well-reasoned answers and, perhaps, a short discussion of how that answer is supported or contradicted by canon.

If I don't provide a book and page number, then don't assume that I'm describing canon. I'll tell you if I'm describing canon.
say652
Palladin
Comment: Avid Cyborg and Braka Braka enthusiast.

Unread post by say652 »

90's marvel comics. Dynasty eta kung fu films. John woo films. And lots of sarcasm.
Reagren Wright
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: The greatest part of the writer's time is spent in reading, in order to write: a man will turn over half a library to make one book. - Samuel Johnson, 1775

Unread post by Reagren Wright »

To many to list. Everything from comics, t.v., movies, magazines, novels, school, work, and life
in general.

When doing a fantasy game the movie that real drives my game would have to be the original
Clash of the Titains.

My HU games probably get the most inspiration from 1970s Marvel and DC comic books.

Nightbane games I try to be original for.

Return to “G.M.s Forum”