Best Monsters for Monster Magic Tattoos

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

(SHIFTY)
Adventurer

Best Monsters for Monster Magic Tattoos

Unread post by (SHIFTY) »

Hey guys. What are some suggestions for the best monsters to use in Magic Tattoo Monster Tattoos.
Tor
Palladin
Comment: If you have something to say, back it up with thoughts and reasons. Simply posting to agree or disagree tends to be a waste.

Re: Best Monsters for Monster Magic Tattoos

Unread post by Tor »

Depends on what you need them for. It would be nice if we could put together a list of all monsters that could be made through such tattoos, along with their categories, though. We could begin with monsters NPCs with tats are listed as having and then add then from places like CB1 or Monsters & Animals.
"1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk" -Forums of the Megaverse
Incriptus
Hero
Comment: Hey, relaaaax. Pretend it's a game. Maybe it'll even be fun
Shoot the tubes, Dogmeat!

Unread post by Incriptus »

The next time an oppertunity comes available I plan on playing a T-Monster Man . . . His name is "Rex Sledgestone". His signature Tattoo is his Tyrannosaurus.
Daeglan
Adventurer

Unread post by Daeglan »

Dragondactyl are good for a transportation and fighting.
Check out my photography http://daeglan.imagekind.com
Glistam
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: The silent thief of Rozrehxeson.

Unread post by Glistam »

There's a flying fish in the Coalition Navy sourcebook that I like for a "cheap" flying mount (less than 50 max M.D.C.). I'm partial to the T-Rex out of WB 14. There's also a really sick monster/spider thing out of the Dinosaur Swamp Adventures book that is pretty amazingly awesome.
Zerebus: "I like MDC. MDC is a hundred times better than SDC."

kiralon: "...the best way to kill an old one is to crash a moon into it."

Temporal Wizard O.C.C. update 0.8 | Rifts random encounters
New Fire magic | New Temporal magic
Grim Gulf, the Nightlands version of Century Station

Let Chaos Magic flow in your campaigns.
kaid
Knight

Unread post by kaid »

(SHIFTY) wrote:Hey guys. What are some suggestions for the best monsters to use in Magic Tattoo Monster Tattoos.

The dinosaur swamp and dinoswamp 2 have some great critters for monster tattoos. Who does not want a brontosaurus tattoo!
Incriptus
Hero
Comment: Hey, relaaaax. Pretend it's a game. Maybe it'll even be fun
Shoot the tubes, Dogmeat!

Unread post by Incriptus »

Ninjabunny wrote:Aren't dinosaurs animals?

They were until they got MDC
Tor
Palladin
Comment: If you have something to say, back it up with thoughts and reasons. Simply posting to agree or disagree tends to be a waste.

Unread post by Tor »

I kind of don't like the titles for the categories. "SDC animals/monsters" and "MDC animals/monsters" might be more appropriate. Surely there are beings which remain SDC in Rifts but which we still might consider a monster. One certainly doesn't cease to be an animal when one becomes MDC any more than one requires MDC to be a monster.

With dinosaurs, perhaps they could be animals if you summon SDC versions and monsters if you summon MDC versions?

Anyone know monsters with natural spellcasting abilities, particularly permanent ones?
"1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk" -Forums of the Megaverse
kaid
Knight

Unread post by kaid »

I reread the monster tattoo description and it is sorta vague. Maggots actually look like they would be a viable option as they are a worm of taut which are specifically listed as being available.

As for dinosaurs in one place it says you can have a tattoo of any predatory MDC monster so that on its face opens up pretty much any aggressive dinosaur as an option. Later in its description it says any animalistic MDC monster and in the splynn book there is actually a short story of a tattoo warrior getting a brachiosaurs tattoo because they oddly enough have an innate ability to dispel magic barriers. Since they upped dinos to having MDC they seem like perfectly reasonable choices for monster tattoos given all the animal tattoos have to be SDC.

It seems the main factors for the tattoo is the creature cannot be of human intelligence and cannot be a demon, devil,elemental, entity and has MDC.

Edit

One thing that I notice pretty much every time I look at the monster tattoo thing is the funny cost of casting. There REALLY should be another category or two for summoning monster tattoos.

You go from 50 MDC for 50ppe to summon to 51-150 MDC for 80 PPE or 151+ for 100 PPE. I can see the cheap ones for 50 ppe but why on earth would you bother with any of the 80 PPE summons. For 20 more PPE you can get something with hundreds and in the case of magots if they are allowed THOUSANDS more MDC. Maybe I am just crazy but it seems to me that it would always be a better option to spend the extra 20 PPE for something that is many times more powerful than what you otherwise would summon.

There really should be a 151-250 range for 100ppe and then a 250-350 and a 350+ for higher costs. Seriously if you can spend 50 PPE for 50 MDC or spend 50 more PPE for something with FOUR THOUSAND MDC I am pretty sure those are 50 PPE well worth spending.
Last edited by kaid on Tue Oct 22, 2013 10:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
kaid
Knight

Unread post by kaid »

Tor wrote:
Anyone know monsters with natural spellcasting abilities, particularly permanent ones?

There are actually quite a few monsters that would fit the categories that seem applicable for the tattoo with some limited natural spell casting abilities. Like the example from the splynn book one of the giant brontosaurus looking dinos has an innate ability to use the dispel magic barrier spell. There are other dinos that can do things like shadow meld or chameleon. Most monster spell casting is pretty limited but there are a fair amount of cases of it.
Mack
Supreme Being
Comment: This space for rent.

Unread post by Mack »

The rules for Monster tattoos need an update. When Atlantis was written there weren't that many monsters with more than 150 MDC (which page 90 calls "super monsters") so it made sense for everything above that to be lumped into a PPE cost of 100. But since then, there's been plethora of monsters way above that. Just look at some of dinosaurs in New West.

There needs to be another breakout or two to the PPE cost for really large monsters. Such as:
151 - 250 MDC = 100 PPE
251 - 400 MDC = 150 PPE
400+ = 200 PPE
Some gave all.
Love your neighbor.
Know the facts. Know your opinion. Know the difference.
Balabanto
Champion

Unread post by Balabanto »

Quite frankly, just scale the range. Every 100 MDC=25 PPE. That way, you can't just whip up a Metzla without getting your butt handed to you.
Mallak's Place
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Mallak's Place »

Our Undead Slayer has a Tomb Worm, he uses it to sniff out vampire coffins
Tor
Palladin

Unread post by Tor »

kaid wrote:I reread the monster tattoo description and it is sorta vague. Maggots actually look like they would be a viable option as they are a worm of taut which are specifically listed as being available.
Where're they called worms of taut? I think we might be confusing them with blow worms since both have cool MDC.

kaid wrote:in the splynn book there is actually a short story of a tattoo warrior getting a brachiosaurs tattoo because they oddly enough have an innate ability to dispel magic barriers.
...where is this story and thing about barriers?

kaid wrote:You go from 50 MDC for 50ppe to summon to 51-150 MDC for 80 PPE or 151+ for 100 PPE. I can see the cheap ones for 50 ppe but why on earth would you bother with any of the 80 PPE summons. For 20 more PPE you can get something with hundreds
you might lack the PPE or want the specific abilities of a monster with the lower amount. It's not just about damage capacity in combat.
Glistam
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: The silent thief of Rozrehxeson.

Unread post by Glistam »

Tor wrote:
kaid wrote:You go from 50 MDC for 50ppe to summon to 51-150 MDC for 80 PPE or 151+ for 100 PPE. I can see the cheap ones for 50 ppe but why on earth would you bother with any of the 80 PPE summons. For 20 more PPE you can get something with hundreds
you might lack the PPE or want the specific abilities of a monster with the lower amount. It's not just about damage capacity in combat.

There's also a LOT more optons for monsters with 51-150 M.D.C. than there are for monsters with 50 M.D.C. or less.
Zerebus: "I like MDC. MDC is a hundred times better than SDC."

kiralon: "...the best way to kill an old one is to crash a moon into it."

Temporal Wizard O.C.C. update 0.8 | Rifts random encounters
New Fire magic | New Temporal magic
Grim Gulf, the Nightlands version of Century Station

Let Chaos Magic flow in your campaigns.

Return to “Rifts®”