Looking for advice

For the discussion of all things in the Rifter. As well as ideas for the Rifter and so on.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Sir_Nytehawk357
D-Bee

Looking for advice

Unread post by Sir_Nytehawk357 »

Looking for advice on submitting some writing for the rifter and I'm afraid. I've been a big palladium fan for over 30 years. I have what I think is a lot of great idea's.
I guess I'm afraid of putting forth all the work and not getting it published. Any and all commits are welcome.
warrenthewanderer
D-Bee
Comment: A wise man once said that is true happiness.

Re: Looking for advice

Unread post by warrenthewanderer »

You shouldn't be worried my first submission was published but if you are looking for advice here is some.
1. Wright a submission letter to make yourself look more professional. (Put it as your e-mail)
2. Make sure your submission is properly formatted, spell checked, and has the metrics as per the submission guidelines. > http://www.palladiumbooks.com/index.php ... Itemid=188
3. Hold on to you original work if you wrote it down on paper.
4. Don't expect to be paid right away ( I still haven't and my submission was in #59)
Every thing else is just hard work and luck.
Last edited by warrenthewanderer on Sat May 11, 2013 11:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KEEP CALM AND CAST SPELLS

The man I am having dinner with is a barbarian (a Visigoth? Or just an a--hole?)

O boards, you have held up so much tedious posts that I am amazed you have not already 404'd in ruin
flatline
Knight

Unread post by flatline »

Sir_Nytehawk357 wrote:Looking for advice on submitting some writing for the rifter and I'm afraid. I've been a big palladium fan for over 30 years. I have what I think is a lot of great idea's.
I guess I'm afraid of putting forth all the work and not getting it published. Any and all commits are welcome.

If you've created quality material, submit it and if it doesn't get published, publish it here on the forums (or a website or whatever is convenient). We'll happily consume anything you want to share :)

--flatline
I don't care about canon answers. I'm interested in good, well-reasoned answers and, perhaps, a short discussion of how that answer is supported or contradicted by canon.

If I don't provide a book and page number, then don't assume that I'm describing canon. I'll tell you if I'm describing canon.
Goliath Strongarm
Hero

Unread post by Goliath Strongarm »

flatline wrote:
Sir_Nytehawk357 wrote:Looking for advice on submitting some writing for the rifter and I'm afraid. I've been a big palladium fan for over 30 years. I have what I think is a lot of great idea's.

If you've created quality material, submit it and if it doesn't get published, publish it here on the forums (or a website or whatever is convenient). We'll happily consume anything you want to share :)

--flatline

Except that once he submits it, he can't post it. PB can hold it for a hundred years, and stillhe can't post it. It is theirs once he submits.,
--
GS
Galadriel in leather! Yayayayayayaya!
>>>----Therumancer--->

Well, hang on to your seats boys and girls, but I agree with GS-Veknironth

[Goliath baiting]Hey, according to my copy of Yin-Sloth Jungles, they came out in 1995. Didn't you get your copies?[/Golaith baiting]-MrNexx, regarding the OK books

People don't like it when searching through a website is a pain in the butt (even if it's a proctology website)-Uncle Servo
flatline
Knight

Unread post by flatline »

Goliath Strongarm wrote:
flatline wrote:

--flatline

Except that once he submits it, he can't post it. PB can hold it for a hundred years, and stillhe can't post it. It is theirs once he submits.,

Then please disregard my advice.

--flatline
I don't care about canon answers. I'm interested in good, well-reasoned answers and, perhaps, a short discussion of how that answer is supported or contradicted by canon.

If I don't provide a book and page number, then don't assume that I'm describing canon. I'll tell you if I'm describing canon.
SmilingJack
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by SmilingJack »

Dude

You have to submit your work

First of all if you're brave enough to admit your fears you're brave enough to face them

Get your ideas out, write the manuscripts and submit them because you never know if they might connect with people

Why deny yourself something you obviously enjoy so much

Role playing is predicated on the art of storytelling

Get out there and tell yours

You can do it
~ Love Conquers All ~
Kovoston
Rifter® Contributer

Unread post by Kovoston »

What Smiling Jack says!
The Dark Elf
Rifter® Contributer
Comment: "So gentlemen, are you prepared to open your minds and travel to worlds hitherto undreamed of?"

Unread post by The Dark Elf »

When you submit, it is yours until PBs purchases it along with you signing the NDA. This is usually just before it gets published.

If you've posted it else where in the meantime You wont be able to sign the NDA as you've already broken part of the agreement.

Some advice:

If you havent already got ideas-

Write for your most favourite game line; your passion will show.
Or- write for one of the lines that has had less sourcebooks recently such as PFRPG, N&S, BTS.... (ok, anything other than Rifts). Wayne has said specifically that he chooses articles to continue the flow of these lines. So you have less competition and your quality may be more forgiving (see my work for example :wink: )

On a personal note I like to see adventures so write one of those. For NB, only using the NB main book, Nightlands & NBSG books. :ok:

This year there is still two Rifters to go and they are wanting to put in some great PFRPG articles (hurry up Soldier of Od) so there is a good chance of being top of the consideration pile but you would have to be very quick (advice - be like Palladium; do not scrimp on quality for a deadline, pls).

Do not expect to be published. It doesnt always happen.
Expect not to hear anything at all. Nothing, nada, nil, nought, zilzch, zero, zip. Suck it up, like it or not, youve no control over this.
If you are lucky enough to be published dont expect any feedback (which is waaaay better than getting negative - its tougher than you think to take it)

Start off small. My first was six pages, my last was 18 and my next submission will be more.

Get a friend to be critical. Accept his criticisms, he means well and is a fan (he is your audience). Mmy first submission was my sixth rewrite and there were still things fans wanted to see included that I had overlooked/missed.

Once youve submitted your article. forget about it! Take your mind off it. By writing your next one would be a great idea but seriously. dont sweat on it. Time will go very slowly, move on.

If there is ever another POH you could attend and submit in person, that way you have the opportunity to briefly described to Wayne your idea and can confirm that he has it in his files.

Good luck!
Rifter 52 Cannibal Magic
Rifter 55 The Ancestral Mystic P.C.C.
Rifter 59 The Lopanic Games adventure "The Lion, the Ditch & the Warlock". Illustrations to this adventure can be found here.
Rifter 71 & 72 Double Issue Ninjas & Superspies adventure "On a Wing & a Prayer"
Rifter 80 Masters Unlimited
warrenthewanderer
D-Bee

Hay dark elf did you want to see a PFRPG submission? I'm asking because I'm working on one and I wanted people to Critique the adventures.

The man I am having dinner with is a barbarian (a Visigoth? Or just an a--hole?)

O boards, you have held up so much tedious posts that I am amazed you have not already 404'd in ruin
The Dark Elf
Rifter® Contributer
Comment: "So gentlemen, are you prepared to open your minds and travel to worlds hitherto undreamed of?"

Unread post by The Dark Elf »

warrenthewanderer wrote:Hay dark elf did you want to see a PFRPG submission? I'm asking because I'm working on one and I wanted people to Critique the adventures.

I would but but I cant. I might be writing something similar and its best to let parallel concepts be uninfluenced coincidence.

So get it published so I can read (& play) it!

If youve no one to read it at least read it aloud to yourself or better or get your other half to read it to you). That way you get to hear how it sounds/is read.
Rifter 52 Cannibal Magic
Rifter 55 The Ancestral Mystic P.C.C.
Rifter 59 The Lopanic Games adventure "The Lion, the Ditch & the Warlock". Illustrations to this adventure can be found here.
Rifter 71 & 72 Double Issue Ninjas & Superspies adventure "On a Wing & a Prayer"
Rifter 80 Masters Unlimited
warrenthewanderer
D-Bee

The Dark Elf wrote:
warrenthewanderer wrote:Hay dark elf did you want to see a PFRPG submission? I'm asking because I'm working on one and I wanted people to Critique the adventures.

I would but but I cant. I might be writing something similar and its best to let parallel concepts be uninfluenced coincidence.

So get it published so I can read (& play) it!

If youve no one to read it at least read it aloud to yourself or better or get your other half to read it to you). That way you get to hear how it sounds/is read.

All right thanks any way, but FYI I'm not married. ( and as a wise man once said "that is true happiness") :wink:

The Raven
Explorer

Unread post by The Raven »

This is coming from someone who is considering bribing Wayne to get my submission into the Rifter: Send the fracking thing in! To paraphrase what Mike Mumah beat me over the head with, a submission can't be reviewed or accepted until its sent in. Jump in with both feet, send in the article, and then prepare for the waiting game. But don't sit around and wait after that, write more. Write another submission and send it in. If what you are working on is huge, cut it up into smaller pieces and submit them as different articles. But just send it in. Don't make me find some freelancers to pummel you into just sending it in. The Galactus Kid can vouch for how much that him and Mumah have pounded me in the head.
"Women and Cats will do as they please. Men and dogs had better get used to it."
-- Robert Heinlein, Time Enough for Love, Lazarus Long

Carl Gleba wrote:Well said Raven :ok:
Sir_Nytehawk357
D-Bee

Unread post by Sir_Nytehawk357 »

Thanks Every one your advice has been taken. I've started going over and re-writing my submission. One of my friends is excited that I am going to finally going to submit some of my ideas
Shawn Merrow
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: For the glory of Zeon and Zerebus, Sieg Zeon!

2D6 Palladium Forum History Geek Points

Unread post by Shawn Merrow »

As one of the people who have pummeled The Raven, I say take his advice. The only guaranteed failure is not to try at all.

"Flandre, no Molotov cocktails indoors, please." - Hime from Princess Resurrection
The Galactus Kid
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: THE SPLICE MUST FLOW!!!

Unread post by The Galactus Kid »

The Raven wrote:

This is coming from someone who is considering bribing Wayne to get my submission into the Rifter: Send the fracking thing in! To paraphrase what Mike Mumah beat me over the head with, a submission can't be reviewed or accepted until its sent in. Jump in with both feet, send in the article, and then prepare for the waiting game. But don't sit around and wait after that, write more. Write another submission and send it in. If what you are working on is huge, cut it up into smaller pieces and submit them as different articles. But just send it in. Don't make me find some freelancers to pummel you into just sending it in. The Galactus Kid can vouch for how much that him and Mumah have pounded me in the head.

Yeah. Just turn it in. The worst that can happen is that the work doesn't get published, which is no different than now since presently, that work isn't getting published.
Ziggurat the Eternal wrote:I'm not sure if its possible, but if it isn't, then possible will just have to get over it.

Ninjabunny wrote:You are playing to have fun and be a part of a story,no one is aiming to "beat" the GM, nor should any GM be looking to beat his players.

Marrowlight wrote: The Shameless Plug would be a good new account name for you. 8-)

ALAshbaugh wrote:Because DINOSAURS.

Return to “The Rifter® Forum”