~ Knights vs Samurai ???

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

TechnoGothic
Knight

~ Knights vs Samurai ???

Unread post by TechnoGothic »

Who is Cooler in your Opinion ?

Knights or Samurai

and WHY ??
TechnoGothic
END OF LINE

"The best things in life are to crush your enemies, drive them before you, and hear the lamentations of their women."-Conan
Comrade Corsarius
Hero

Re: ~ Knights vs Samurai ???

Unread post by Comrade Corsarius »

One assumes this is a Rifts discussion, and you mean one of the following:
1) Cyber-knights vs Cyber-Samurai
2) Knights from Camelot vs Traditional samurai.

(side note: My player group decided to never go to new camelot. It is a silly place.)
I'd get up in the morning and watch the sun rise over the yardarm of my sky-ship as the sails billowed in the breeze and the land slid by 300-odd metres below. I'd grasp the mahogany ship's wheel, turn her nose a few points back onto the line, and feel pity for all those poor bastards below who have to work for a living. - My idea of the good life in Rifts.

Steampunk SAMAS finally built!
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

TechnoGothic wrote:Who is Cooler in your Opinion ?

Knights or Samurai

and WHY ??

Samurai.
Is an anime fan.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Comrade Corsarius
Hero

I agree. I like cyber-knights as an anti-supernatural, rather than anti-tech force.

In fact, I sold my SoT books some time ago, and also have not upgraded to RUE. So if you play Rifts with me, Cyber-knights are still champions of the downtrodden who battle supernatural forces and have no quasi-mystical powers against coalition railguns.
I'd get up in the morning and watch the sun rise over the yardarm of my sky-ship as the sails billowed in the breeze and the land slid by 300-odd metres below. I'd grasp the mahogany ship's wheel, turn her nose a few points back onto the line, and feel pity for all those poor bastards below who have to work for a living. - My idea of the good life in Rifts.

Colonel_Tetsuya
Champion

Unread post by Colonel_Tetsuya »

Im not an Asiophile, so Knights. In fact, i got so burned out on asiophillia during my high school years that it turned into something of a dislike.
Im loving the Foes list; it's the only thing keeping me from tearing out my eyes from the dumb.
flatline
Knight

Unread post by flatline »

Could you give us a little more context for the question?

Are we talking Knights and Samurai as they were in real life or are we talking about something in-game?

--flatline
I don't care about canon answers. I'm interested in good, well-reasoned answers and, perhaps, a short discussion of how that answer is supported or contradicted by canon.

If I don't provide a book and page number, then don't assume that I'm describing canon. I'll tell you if I'm describing canon.
Eclipse
Adventurer

Unread post by Eclipse »

No preference, both are potentially pretty cool.
And if... somone whipped out a mini gun. We run and hide. lol.

Now.. some guys won't... and you can say nice things at their funeral. "He was a brave soul.... if stupid.. he didn't take cover when the guy whipped out the mini gun on us that day.. but his blood-fountaining corpse did give us a chance to sneak around and clonk the machine gunner on the head with a rock. Rest in Pieces.... Swiss Cheese Man.....

Pepsi Jedi
Hotrod
Knight

Unread post by Hotrod »

Aren't they essentially the same, with different window dressing? Both are elite, wealthier feudal warriors with an emphasis on mounted combat.

I suppose the question is, which variety of window dressing do you find more tasteful? Even that is open to wide interpretation.

I suppose, if you take the dominant stereotypes, forgetting about samurai like Admiral Yamamoto and knights like Sir Elton John, I find the western window dressing to be a bit more interesting, since there's a much wider variety of weapons, cultures, traditions, and internationally-significant historical events involving western knights than their Japanese equivalents.

Really, though, I should educate myself more on the Japanese traditions. Maybe it's time to try Shogun 2: Total War.
Hotrod
Author, Rifter Contributor, and Map Artist
Duty's Edge, a Rifts novel. Available as an ebook, PDF,or printed book.
Check out my maps here!
Also, check out my Instant NPC Generators!
Like what you see? There's more on my Patreon Page.
Grell
Republican
Comment: We are the hope for the future and we will not fail in that duty.

Unread post by Grell »

Knights or Samurai

and WHY ??

Samurai.

Why? They're from Japan!

Seriously, they're excellent for both large scale eradication of demons and confronting opponents with a significant melee advantage.
"He who commands the kitchen commands the ship." -C. Magewind, Ley Line Rifter and self proclaimed "Best Cook in the Three Galaxies"

"The question is not why the mechanoids kill the humanoids, but only why nobody did it sooner." -Killer Cyborg
Jay05
Adventurer

Unread post by Jay05 »

From a purely Rifts standpoint, I'm a fan of both the Cyber-knight and the traditional type Samurai from Rifts Japan. I'd play either one given the chance. So, I don't really have a preference. As for why? Skills and abilities are of a similar level, and I'd call the "True Katana" and the Psi-sword about equal.
Blue_Lion
Knight

Unread post by Blue_Lion »

Well the anti samurai - IE the ninja is a lot cooler than the anti knight a bunch of people with long pointed sticks (hedhog of pikemen) but in the end they both where broght down by guns.

The pure samuri with no teck from rifts japan are kinda cool consept.
The cyber samuri struck me as a want to be...

Cyber-knights even with there anti tech powers to me still represent the hereos of the down troden. Who go toe to toe with the big badies be they demons, or bunch of thugs with high theck gear.

The knights of england have kinda cool window dressing idea.

Over all I whould have to say the idea of knights and samuri are about the same ot me.
The Clones are coming you shall all be replaced, but who is to say you have not been replaced already.

Master of Type-O and the obvios.

Soon my army oc clones and winged-monkies will rule the world but first, must .......

I may debate canon and RAW, but the games I run are highly house ruled. So I am not debating for how I play but about how the system works as written.
Colonel_Tetsuya
Champion

Pikemen weren't the anti-knight, just to be clear. They were anti-cavalry. Not all (hell, not even most) Knights were heavy cavalry. The English Longbow did a lot more to deter knights and re-write their place on the battlefield.

In one afternoon, 2000 english bowmen destroyed the flower of French chivalry, while taking almost no casualties of their own. Knights were already a non-issue on the battlefield (and Knighthoods primarily ceremonial/noble rewards) by the time guns became a real issue.
Im loving the Foes list; it's the only thing keeping me from tearing out my eyes from the dumb.
Subjugator
Palladium Books® Super Fan

Unread post by Subjugator »

Tetsuya: I thought it was the crossbow that got rid of knights, since a longbowman required years of training, whereas a crossbow required, "Stand over there, point the crossbow that way, and pull up on that lever when they get too close to you."
There's a reason...and a very good one...that I have certain people in this forum blocked both here and on Facebook.

I can see an illustration of that nearly every time I come here.
Colonel_Tetsuya
Champion

Subjugator wrote:Tetsuya: I thought it was the crossbow that got rid of knights, since a longbowman required years of training, whereas a crossbow required, "Stand over there, point the crossbow that way, and pull up on that lever when they get too close to you."

Crossbows (partially) got rid of heavy armor, but the time Crossbows were prevalent, most heavy infantry and heavy cavalry were no longer Knights, just soldiers.
flatline
Knight

Unread post by flatline »

Colonel_Tetsuya wrote:
Subjugator wrote:Tetsuya: I thought it was the crossbow that got rid of knights, since a longbowman required years of training, whereas a crossbow required, "Stand over there, point the crossbow that way, and pull up on that lever when they get too close to you."

Crossbows (partially) got rid of heavy armor, but the time Crossbows were prevalent, most heavy infantry and heavy cavalry were no longer Knights, just soldiers.

This is how I understand it. The crossbow didn't really become prevalent until the 1500's or so. Knights, as a warrior class as opposed to an honorific, were pretty much gone by that time.

Edit: Nope, I was wrong. According to wikipedia (for whatever that's worth), crossbows were in use starting around 1055 and for the next 400 years or so. They definitely overlapped with knights and could have, in fact, been part of the knights' downfall.

--flatline
I don't care about canon answers. I'm interested in good, well-reasoned answers and, perhaps, a short discussion of how that answer is supported or contradicted by canon.

If I don't provide a book and page number, then don't assume that I'm describing canon. I'll tell you if I'm describing canon.
Hotrod
Knight

Unread post by Hotrod »

Colonel_Tetsuya wrote:Pikemen weren't the anti-knight, just to be clear. They were anti-cavalry. Not all (hell, not even most) Knights were heavy cavalry. The English Longbow did a lot more to deter knights and re-write their place on the battlefield.

In one afternoon, 2000 english bowmen destroyed the flower of French chivalry, while taking almost no casualties of their own. Knights were already a non-issue on the battlefield (and Knighthoods primarily ceremonial/noble rewards) by the time guns became a real issue.

If you're referring to Agincort (may have a spelling issue there), the weather, soggy ground, and funneling/crowding effect did a lot against the French, according to what I saw on the History Channel, than the longbow. A lot, and possibly most, of the fighting, was hand to hand.

Of course, Battlefield Detectives might be wrong.
Hotrod
Check out my maps here!
Zamion138
Hero

Unread post by Zamion138 »

Knights if were talking real world.
traditional samuarai's if were talking rifts.
Comrade Corsarius
Hero

Grell wrote:

Knights or Samurai

and WHY ??

Samurai.

Why? They're from Japan!

And their swords can cut through a tank!

drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

Hotrod wrote:
Colonel_Tetsuya wrote:Pikemen weren't the anti-knight, just to be clear. They were anti-cavalry. Not all (hell, not even most) Knights were heavy cavalry. The English Longbow did a lot more to deter knights and re-write their place on the battlefield.

If you're referring to Agincourt (may have a spelling issue there), the weather, soggy ground, and funneling/crowding effect did a lot against the French, according to what I saw on the History Channel, than the longbow. A lot, and possibly most, of the fighting, was hand to hand.

Another bit of trivia, On the continent cross bows were banned from use for a long time cause of two things, cause of the ease of it's use it turned a untrained commoner into somebody who could kill a knight (read 'noble') in his armor with one shot, and that it was seen in the eyes of the catholic church as to be a form of blasphemy because of it's shape, that of a cross.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Colonel_Tetsuya
Champion

Primarily that second part, but yes.
Colonel_Tetsuya
Champion

Hotrod wrote:

If you're referring to Agincort (may have a spelling issue there), the weather, soggy ground, and funneling/crowding effect did a lot against the French, according to what I saw on the History Channel, than the longbow. A lot, and possibly most, of the fighting, was hand to hand.

Not completely incorrect, but we're talking about what killed all the French Knights, which was cloth-yard shafts fired into them as they charged, and what lost the French the Battle. Keep in mind that the Knights didn't make up that sizable a portion of the army - probably less than 20%.

There are some examples of breastplates from Agincourt that are pierced-through with cloth-yard pile-headed arrows, front and back. For about another 100 years, armorers kept trying to make better armor to defeat the Longbow, and later, the Crossbow, to the point that you got to the armor that was so heavy it was only used for jousting... and even that couldn't stop an arbalest (heavy crossbow with a gear-cranked windlass) bolt.

By that time, however, Knighthoods had become less about being elite soldiers (though many Knights were still also soldiers) and more about a class of minor nobility and it was used as a reward (and was frequently outright purchased when the Crown was light on cash). By that time, heavy armor had spread from being the sole purview of Knights, primarily (as wealthy landowning elite soldiers) to the purview of professional common soldiers as well - heavy cavalry regularly wore heavy breastplates with faulds & tassets and splinted arms and upper legs with steel greaves, even if they were commoners. Mail had worked it's way into the infantrymans kit, often covered with thick hardened or boiled leather reinforce with plates (a plate-jack, a cheaper cousin of the coat-of-plates) of thin metal or stone or even bone.

By the time guns became prevalent, only infantry still regulary wore heavy armor (usually just breastplates) - because even if it wasnt totally effective, "some" protection was deemed better than none, and a thick steel breastplate (think the style you see the spanish conquistador portrayed in, with a very sharp sloped/peaked breastplate to divert the energy of a shot to the side) was more likely to save your life than not. You'd still be laid up for months with a serious injury, but it was better than nothing.

It wasn't until fire-arms because more reliable (with the introduction of rifling and more reliable firing systems like the flintlock) that armor was completely discarded, largely because the higher muzzle speeds made it more likely for the armor to actively KILL you, as a round ball shot would spall the inside of the breastplate into you, much like a modern tank-killer does to the men inside of a tank.
Comrade Corsarius
Hero

Colonel_Tetsuya wrote: heavy cavalry regularly wore heavy breastplates with faulds & tassets and splinted arms and upper legs with steel greaves, even if they were commoners.

Yep.

By the time guns became prevalent, only infantry still regulary wore heavy armor (usually just breastplates) - because even if it wasnt totally effective, "some" protection was deemed better than none, and a thick steel breastplate (think the style you see the spanish conquistador portrayed in, with a very sharp sloped/peaked breastplate to divert the energy of a shot to the side) was more likely to save your life than not. You'd still be laid up for months with a serious injury, but it was better than nothing.

And walking anywhere wearing it was a pain. Which is why the mounted armoured person continued for some time.

It wasn't until fire-arms because more reliable (with the introduction of rifling and more reliable firing systems like the flintlock) that armor was completely discarded, largely because the higher muzzle speeds made it more likely for the armor to actively KILL you, as a round ball shot would spall the inside of the breastplate into you, much like a modern tank-killer does to the men inside of a tank.

Absolutely, but armour for mounted warriors stayed around a lot longer than it probably should have. Cuirassiers were present at Waterloo and were still active in WW1, with units fielded by Germany, Russia, Austria, France. (Formally, if not informally, the armour ceased to be worn in October 1915 by French units). A variety of cuirassier units still exist throughout the world in ceremonial (if not active) purposes.

For continued active (sort of) use, armour by foot soldiers is still used by the Swiss Guard. Mind you, while the bright uniforms can be amusing to some, the regular 'blue' uniform is pretty interesting, and every single one of these guys is an elite soldier. I am not certain if the British Yeoman of the Guard continue to wear armour actively, but alongside regular military training, the Swiss Guard regularly train with polearms and swords as part of their regular training in both melee and crowd control.

TechnoGothic
Knight

Unread post by TechnoGothic »

Cyber-Knights
Mystic Knights
War Knights
Hero Knights

Trad.Samurai/Ronins
Cyber-Samurai
Cyberai (pw)

but my question was just concept wise real world Knights vs Samurai.
TechnoGothic
END OF LINE

"The best things in life are to crush your enemies, drive them before you, and hear the lamentations of their women."-Conan
Tor
Palladin
Comment: If you have something to say, back it up with thoughts and reasons. Simply posting to agree or disagree tends to be a waste.

Unread post by Tor »

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:Samurai. Is an anime fan.
The treatment of Samurai in anime is odd. I always see references to Samurai riding horses and wearing huge shredder-looking plate armor and helmets, but all the popular series (Rurouni Kenshin aka Samurai X, Samurai Deeper Kyo...) all seem to involve unarmored guys on foot with nothing but a sword and a kimono.
"1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk" -Forums of the Megaverse
GenThunderfist
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by GenThunderfist »

I have to say the Samurai out of Japan are really awesome, however I actually enjoy playing the Ronin much more than just the traditional Samurai. I really hate the Cyber-Sams/Street Sam.

Knights are...meh for me really. Cyber-Knights are really cool and a good fighting force, but in general I wouldn't want to play one since I just don't feel like they fit my preferred roleplaying style.
Shoot or Die, it's the name of the game.

Oh kids these days, with their texting and murder...
Hotrod
Knight

Unread post by Hotrod »

Colonel_Tetsuya wrote:
Hotrod wrote:

Not completely incorrect, but we're talking about what killed all the French Knights, which was cloth-yard shafts fired into them as they charged, and what lost the French the Battle. Keep in mind that the Knights didn't make up that sizable a portion of the army - probably less than 20%.

There are some examples of breastplates from Agincourt that are pierced-through with cloth-yard pile-headed arrows, front and back. For about another 100 years, armorers kept trying to make better armor to defeat the Longbow, and later, the Crossbow, to the point that you got to the armor that was so heavy it was only used for jousting... and even that couldn't stop an arbalest (heavy crossbow with a gear-cranked windlass) bolt.

By that time, however, Knighthoods had become less about being elite soldiers (though many Knights were still also soldiers) and more about a class of minor nobility and it was used as a reward (and was frequently outright purchased when the Crown was light on cash). By that time, heavy armor had spread from being the sole purview of Knights, primarily (as wealthy landowning elite soldiers) to the purview of professional common soldiers as well - heavy cavalry regularly wore heavy breastplates with faulds & tassets and splinted arms and upper legs with steel greaves, even if they were commoners. Mail had worked it's way into the infantrymans kit, often covered with thick hardened or boiled leather reinforce with plates (a plate-jack, a cheaper cousin of the coat-of-plates) of thin metal or stone or even bone.

Of course, armor is very much back in vogue now in the US military. The materials have changed, but every soldier now deploys with helmet, several heavy plates, and a lot of kevlar coverings.
Hotrod
Check out my maps here!
Eashamahel
Hero

Unread post by Eashamahel »

For RIFTS,

I always just really loved the Cyberknight, as originally presented, in RIFTS. They are pretty much perfect to me, not a joke, not a ridiculous concept of a guy on a horse fighting against a tank, but a 'knight', a highly trained, professional soldier. Cyber Knights are extreme special forces, and although you can make one who tries to swordfight everything to death, you are more likely going to end up with a modern combatant who happens to also have the skills of a scholar. A trooper who, even when totally unprepared and unequipped, can still still fight, with his cyber armour and psi-sword, and who is often the match for several enemy combatants, not by virtue of crazy bonuses or special abilities, but just through significantly better training.

That being said, the Samurai is, to me, about the exact opposite in RIFTS. A crazy, sword-fight everything, use kung-fu against giant robots/demons kind of wacko who can parry bullets. Also definately very neat, but such a totally different concept it's hard to compare them.
Alrik Vas
Knight
Comment: Don't waste your time gloating over a wounded enemy. Pull the damn trigger.

Unread post by Alrik Vas »

Tor wrote:
drewkitty ~..~ wrote:Samurai. Is an anime fan.
The treatment of Samurai in anime is odd. I always see references to Samurai riding horses and wearing huge shredder-looking plate armor and helmets, but all the popular series (Rurouni Kenshin aka Samurai X, Samurai Deeper Kyo...) all seem to involve unarmored guys on foot with nothing but a sword and a kimono.

There were different periods in Japan. Mostly during the warring states period before the tokugawa dynasty, samurai were often armored because it was a time of war for most clans and families. Afterward during periods of stability, samurai were in some cases forbidden to wear armor, as doing so was to suggest they were going to war.

Anime protrays a lot of different periods in Japanese er..."history"...yes, so they (at times) attemtp to be accurate.
Mark Hall wrote:Y'all seem to assume that Palladium books are written with the same exacting precision with which they are analyzed. I think that is... ambitious.

Talk from the Edge: Operation Dead Lift, Operation Reload, Operation Human Devil, Operation Handshake, Operation Windfall 1, Operation Windfall 2, Operation Sniper Wolf, Operation Natural 20
Alrik Vas
Knight
Comment: Don't waste your time gloating over a wounded enemy. Pull the damn trigger.

Unread post by Alrik Vas »

Though to answer the question...

I like the Samurai better, conceptually and mechanically in game. I do like me some cyberknight as well though...but Iaido wins for me.
Mark Hall wrote:Y'all seem to assume that Palladium books are written with the same exacting precision with which they are analyzed. I think that is... ambitious.

Talk from the Edge: Operation Dead Lift, Operation Reload, Operation Human Devil, Operation Handshake, Operation Windfall 1, Operation Windfall 2, Operation Sniper Wolf, Operation Natural 20
Vrykolas2k
Champion
Location: A snow-covered forest, littered with the bones of my slain enemies...

Unread post by Vrykolas2k »

Welsh longbowmen.
Eyes without life, maggot-ridden corpses, mountains of skulls... these are a few of my favourite things.

I am the first angel, loved once above all others...

Light a man a fire, and he's warm for a day; light a man on fire, and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Turning the other cheek just gets you slapped harder.

The Smiling Bandit (Strikes Again!! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha!)
Hotrod
Knight

Unread post by Hotrod »

Vrykolas2k wrote:

Welsh longbowmen.

What's your source on that? Though the English longbow owed its inception to the Welsh, and Welsh bowmen were certainly an important part of the English army, the longbow became a dominant English weapon prior to Agincourt, and was fully adapted into English culture. There were certainly Welsh present, but it would surprise me if all, or even most of the archers were Welsh.
Hotrod
Check out my maps here!
say652
Palladin
Comment: Avid Cyborg and Braka Braka enthusiast.

Unread post by say652 »

I like the Smurai more in this contest but overall with so many knight variants I feel the Cosmo-Knight is the best Knight variant.
say652
Palladin
Comment: Avid Cyborg and Braka Braka enthusiast.

Unread post by say652 »

say652 wrote:I like the Smurai more in this contest but overall with so many knight variants I feel the Cosmo-Knight is the best Knight variant.

*Samurai
Hotrod
Knight

Unread post by Hotrod »

If we're talking about the most interesting knight OCC from a storytelling/role-playing perspective, the Fallen Knight is my favorite in the megaverse.
Hotrod
Check out my maps here!
keir451
Champion
Comment: We came, We saw, We kicked it's butt!!-P. Venkman
My real physics defeats your quasi physics!!!

Unread post by keir451 »

As much as I love the Samurai, I'd favor the Knights. Full battle plate armor, true warhorses and weapons that can crush a man's skull in a single blow!
My real world Physics defeats your Quasi-Physics!!!
Bubblegum Crisis, best anime/sci-fi/ for totally hot babes in Power Armor.!!!!
Magic. Completely screws logic at every opportunity. (credit due to Ilendaver)
Ravenwing
Hero
Comment: Chaplain of the CS.

Unread post by Ravenwing »

IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII MAKKKKKKKEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE PPPPPPPPPPIIIIIIIIIIIIIEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE LIKE A SAMURIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII!

Thank you backyardigans for that.

But in the eternal Knight Vs. Samurai, I prefer the Knight, especially if I'm playing one. Having to kill myself because I failed isn't my idea of fun.
Blunt like a Warhammer to the face!

Akashic Soldier is my hero!
rat_bastard
Kreelockian
Comment: Maybe if my sig line is clever enough someone will finally love me.

Unread post by rat_bastard »

Knights or Samurai

and WHY ??

Mongols.

A proven ass kicking record, actual tactics and grenades, rockets and excellent ranged weapons.
"If a child shows a particular abundance of pity for fools or an overwhelming disdain for jibber jabber he is plucked from his family and raised by monks in the T-emple."

Return to “Rifts®”