Gun Modifications?

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Daeglan
Adventurer

Gun Modifications?

Unread post by Daeglan »

So are their any books with gun modifications?
Folding stocks?
Rail systems?
Grenade launchers?
Laser Sights?
Night sights?
Fore Grips?
e-clip holders?
Weapon lights?
Cup holders?...yes they exist in the real world...no I don't know why.
Check out my photography http://daeglan.imagekind.com
Daeglan
Adventurer

Re: Gun Modifications?

Unread post by Daeglan »

Sigh. I thought for sure they would be in the merc books. but no.
I want to see shortened barrels and folding stocks for many guns. Because making a gun smaller is handy when travelling.
Zamion138
Hero

Unread post by Zamion138 »

a folding stock i wouldnt say you need a cannon ruling for inless your gm says it takes a turn to fold out or something like that.
a shortened barrel on a laser rifle would be a heavier job as your litterly changing the lens out and how many the light travles through.
i think for some mods it would be hard to make an in game effect be there..
like a quad rail.....go for it i dont see why you cant have a laser a light a red dot and scope on there.
dragonfett
Knight

Unread post by dragonfett »

Daeglan wrote:So are their any books with gun modifications?
Folding stocks?
Rail systems?
Grenade launchers?
Laser Sights?
Night sights?
Fore Grips?
e-clip holders?
Weapon lights?
Cup holders?...yes they exist in the real world...no I don't know why.

I know that in the GMG, there is a section that details customizing a gun to fit you specifically so that you gain a +1 to shoot but anyone else would get a -1 penalty for using that gun because it's not set up for their personal style (IIRC, it's where they are providing stats for SD weapons).

Some guns come with grenade launchers already built in (the CS C-14 springs to mind).

As for Laser and Night sights, that would fall under gun optics which can be found in the RMB, RUE, and GMG.

As for Weapon lights, I would say that they are easy enough to attach to a gun that a GM should be ok with it.
Under the Pain of Death
I would Stand Alone
Against an Army of Darkness
And Horrors Unknown
Akashic Soldier
Knight
Comment: Theres space for a paper airplane race in the eye of a hurricane.

Unread post by Akashic Soldier »

There are gun modifications rules in NG1 (I believe). Guess you'll know when ya buy it. ;)
"I flew back to the states just to vote for Trump."
Mumpsimus can be defined as someone who obstinately clings to an error, bad habit or prejudice, even after the foible has been exposed.
I will not answer posts/questions/accusations by people on my foes list.
The Ugly Truth - Carl Gleba on the Cabal of 24.
Rifts® Online: Megaversal Highway.
Giant2005
Knight

Unread post by Giant2005 »

GMG page 127 has a bunch of gun modifactions you can do. they are reprinted from Australia but have had their prices converted to credits so it is a better source than the original.
They are designed for carbine weapons but some could be applied to energy weapons, or else just get yourself a nice carbine and modify that.
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

i'd don't see why tac-rails, various types of scopes, folding stocks, foregrips, Eclip/ammo holders, and weapon lights couldn't be included on most rifts guns. they don't alter how the weapon works after all, they're basically just cosmetic pieces that give an interesting, non-stat-bonus, set of features.

adding underbarrel grenade systems might be trickier.. but i'd allow it and underbarrel shotgun systems. it would represent a more major modification (most underbarrel weapons today require you to change the barrel shrouds of the gun and require minor reinforcement of the stock to handle the different balance and weight..)

laser sights are the main thing i can't see being very common. you could do it sure, but laser sights are more of a civilians toy.. militaries tend to avoid them because they give away the presence of troops and make it easier for the targets to avoid being shot. they also tend to work best at very short range, and at such ranges most professionally trained police and soldiers are not only moving too fast to worry about visually tracking the laser dot, but also tend to be highly accurate already using iron sights. not to mention the fire discipline issues with keeping the trigger slightly depressed to activate the laser. (the main reason they seem to be so popular in hollywood movies is because it adds to the drama, you get to see where the guns are pointing, and the lasers dots zig-zagging wildly over things adds to the tensions. this is especially true where you see laser sights used with sniper shots and ambushes.. which is so idiotic its absurd, but the little dot creeping up a person's body unnoticed makes it perfectly clear what is going on..)

plus, since most rifts guns are laser based already, you don't need a seperate sight, you can just fluff that the weapon itself operates as such if you put a small amount of pressure on the trigger. (that is usually what i assume 'laser targeting' is for weapons like the C-10.) though given that laser weapons would generally be in UV frequencies to avoid atmospheric effects, such weapons would likely need a special UV scope to see the dot. (which again, would explain weapons like the C-10.)
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
The Galactus Kid
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: THE SPLICE MUST FLOW!!!

Unread post by The Galactus Kid »

Rifter 51 has some underbarrel attachments. The Sovietski sourcebook will have some also additional information.
Ziggurat the Eternal wrote:I'm not sure if its possible, but if it isn't, then possible will just have to get over it.

Ninjabunny wrote:You are playing to have fun and be a part of a story,no one is aiming to "beat" the GM, nor should any GM be looking to beat his players.

Marrowlight wrote: The Shameless Plug would be a good new account name for you. 8-)

ALAshbaugh wrote:Because DINOSAURS.
Mercdog
Hero

Unread post by Mercdog »

While not Rifts books, IIRC, HU2 has some gun mods under the Hardware: Weapons Expert section. I believe that there are a few more listed in the HU2 Game Masters Guide and Aliens Unlimited as well.

If you know someone with access to these books, they might be worth skimming to see if you can find something to adopt for Rifts.
Blade with whom I have lived.
Blade with whom I now die.
Serve right and justice one last time.
Seek one last heart of evil.
Still one last life of pain.
Cut well old friend...
and then farewell.
-Sir Orin Neville Smyth, Flight of Dragons
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

In addition to the above mentioned places....AU and AUr have Gun Modifications for firearms.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Icefalcon
Champion

Unread post by Icefalcon »

The Compendium of Modern Weaponry have a couple in the book but the rules for such are kind of clunky.
*Sniff, Sniff* Why does it smell like wet dog in here?!
Daeglan
Adventurer

Unread post by Daeglan »

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:In addition to the above mentioned places....AU and AUr have Gun Modifications for firearms.

AU and AUr?
taalismn
Priest

Unread post by taalismn »

Daeglan wrote:
drewkitty ~..~ wrote:In addition to the above mentioned places....AU and AUr have Gun Modifications for firearms.

AU and AUr?

Aliens Unlimited and Aliens Unlimited(Revised)....they're associated books to Heroes Unlimited.

The weapons section near the back of the book(s) include modifications for projectile weapons, including mercury-bead recoil dampeners, bigger bore modding, and a form of 'smart' sighting.
-------------
"Trouble rather the Tiger in his Lair,
Than the Sage among his Books,
For all the Empires and Kingdoms,
The Armies and Works that you hold Dear,
Are to him but the Playthings of the Moment,
To be turned over with the Flick of a Finger,
And the Turning of a Page"

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
nilgravity
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by nilgravity »

Heroes Unlimited has modification rules too, though they are class specific.

Return to “Rifts®”