Dangerous Changelings

1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk Palladium Fantasy.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Levi
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Location: Lost in a dream world with the occasional nightmare of what might be reality.

Dangerous Changelings

Unread post by Levi »

I have hardly ever seen anyone play changelings. With all of the draw backs I can understand it. In the very few times I have played PF instead of GMing I have considered it, but never done it.

I think one thing that could really make a changeling fun would be to pair them with a few specific classes like Conjurer, Illusionist, or Enthraller (Rifter 25). All of these OCCs/PCCs/RCCs would play nicely with the changeling abilities and could help cover for some of their pitfalls. Any one of these classes could make a changeling very versatile and powerful outside of combat. However, if you had a few changelings with all of these classes, and maybe a mind mage or wizard, the group would be extremely dangerous. And if played smart they would never have to worry about real combat.

What other class combinations would be really awesome with changelings?
As a man's shadow follows his footsteps wherever he goes, so will destruction pursue those who commit evil deeds.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Re: Dangerous Changelings

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

Mystic Knight? *shrugs* just thinking of an off the wall class to play in combo with the race.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Shawn Merrow
Comment: For the glory of Zeon and Zerebus, Sieg Zeon!

2D6 Palladium Forum History Geek Points

Unread post by Shawn Merrow »

The only Changeling I ever had was in a Nightbane game.

"Flandre, no Molotov cocktails indoors, please." - Hime from Princess Resurrection
The Dark Elf
Rifter® Contributer
Comment: "So gentlemen, are you prepared to open your minds and travel to worlds hitherto undreamed of?"

Unread post by The Dark Elf »

My group has had loads of changelings, my second main is a changeling shaman/gladiator. I have found that there are few drawbacks compared to the ability to change and the few quirks are great role playing elements.

One of our group was a changeling and the other players didnt know for over two years! Great stuff.

To answer the question I have a changleing NPC villain that is a high level were-shaman (so can turn into most animals and people).

A changleing warrior monk would be able to explain not eating salt or alcohol as part of his vows.
Rifter 52 Cannibal Magic
Rifter 55 The Ancestral Mystic P.C.C.
Rifter 59 The Lopanic Games adventure "The Lion, the Ditch & the Warlock". Illustrations to this adventure can be found here.
Rifter 71 & 72 Double Issue Ninjas & Superspies adventure "On a Wing & a Prayer"
Rifter 80 Masters Unlimited
zyanitevp
Champion
Comment: Check out our Twitch stream!

Unread post by zyanitevp »

I have a changeling in my group, and he is one of the favorites of the entire group. He is a mind mage, and typically runs around in the form of a human child- who is going to be upset about no alcohol there?
Broadcasting live twitchtv
My Twitter
Now Playing Savage Rifts as a Trimadore TechnoWizard
Image Image
Levi
Location: Lost in a dream world with the occasional nightmare of what might be reality.

Unread post by Levi »

Mystic Knight, might be cool. A changeling in Nightbane could be interesting. Many might get a changeling confused with minions of the nightlords. Using the vows of any religious order is a good cover for the food allergies.

Smiling_Bandit wrote:Then the GM moved out of state and I never did get called a "lowly monoform" again.

That sounds like a great game. And changelings have a slang for non-changelings, monoform, is hilarious.

The Dark Elf wrote:One of our group was a changeling and the other players didnt know for over two years! Great stuff.

That is some great RP.
The Dark Elf wrote:To answer the question I have a changleing NPC villain that is a high level were-shaman (so can turn into most animals and people).

Hmmm… I am not familiar with the were-shaman. It sounds like a great combo though. What book are they in?

zyanitevp wrote:I have a changeling in my group, and he is one of the favorites of the entire group. He is a mind mage, and typically runs around in the form of a human child- who is going to be upset about no alcohol there?

Changing into the form of a kid is a great idea. That could cover for some of the crappier physical attributes too.
As a man's shadow follows his footsteps wherever he goes, so will destruction pursue those who commit evil deeds.
The Dark Elf
Rifter® Contributer
Comment: "So gentlemen, are you prepared to open your minds and travel to worlds hitherto undreamed of?"

Unread post by The Dark Elf »

Levi wrote:
The Dark Elf wrote:To answer the question I have a changleing NPC villain that is a high level were-shaman (so can turn into most animals and people).

Hmmm… I am not familiar with the were-shaman. It sounds like a great combo though. What book are they in?

IIRC it's Mount Nimro. they are the first edition druids with a bit of a tweak.
Rifter 52 Cannibal Magic
Rifter 55 The Ancestral Mystic P.C.C.
Rifter 59 The Lopanic Games adventure "The Lion, the Ditch & the Warlock". Illustrations to this adventure can be found here.
Rifter 71 & 72 Double Issue Ninjas & Superspies adventure "On a Wing & a Prayer"
Rifter 80 Masters Unlimited
Soldier of Od
Hero

Unread post by Soldier of Od »

Levi wrote:
The Dark Elf wrote:One of our group was a changeling and the other players didn't know for over two years! Great stuff.

That is some great RP.

There were actually two changlings in that group. One of my favourite bits was a meeting with Sunder Blackrock, King of the Nimro Kingdom, who has a magical object that can detect changelings. When he demanded that the changeling of the group reveal themselves or all would perish, I was on tenderhooks waiting to see which player would crack first!

A couple of other OCCs that work well with changelings: priests are cool, as they can use penance/sacrifice to avoid having to eat any unsuitable food. Plus they can alter their form to best suit the environment they are in to convert the locals to their church. Psychic healers (or anyone with even minor psionics) can use impervious to poisons/toxins or psychic purification to stop/cure the effects of eating salt etc. Summon inner strength and resist fatigue can also be useful, to counteract that low PE. And picking the running skill makes a mockery of the relatively low starting speed.
Last edited by Soldier of Od on Mon May 21, 2012 9:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rifter Contributor:
Rifter 61 – Purebred animal templates for Mutants in Avalon (After the Bomb)
Rifter 77 & 78 – Khemennu, City of the Eighteen Cosmic Gods (Palladium Fantasy)
Rifter 83 – The Prophet O.C.C. (Palladium Fantasy)
Rifter 83 – Half-Ogres (Palladium Fantasy)
Rifter 84 – Spellbound O.C.C. (Nightbane)
Rifter 85 – Relics of Empire: Elven Cities of the Old Kingdom (Palladium Fantasy)
Veknironth
Hero

Unread post by Veknironth »

Well, I always thought a Changling Mind Mage would be a good mix. I knew a guy who played on and used Domination a lot. It was like no one really knew who the guy was. Also, I think there was a changling NPC in an old game. At least when I write the stories based on those old adventures, he is.

-Vek
"Never trust a Mind Mage."
Grug
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Grug »

One of my friends played a Changeling summoner, it was quite epic. The high M.E. of a changeling makes summoning creatures a tad easier, if you rolled well. Plus if the locals found out that your a summoner, you can always look like someone else. Now if they found out your both, well time to run. Thats what happend to his character lol.
If you know your enemy and know yourself your victory will not stand in doubt. -Sun Tzu
The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote. -Kosh
Prysus
Champion

Unread post by Prysus »

Greetings and Salutations. Hmm ... this topic just gave me an odd thought (or maybe something discussed before and I missed it). Could a changeling wizard cast Purification (level 7 spell, page 202) to cleanse the food of salt and/or alcoholic content of liquor? Not exactly the intent of the spell, but it removes toxins/poisons and wouldn't those count as such for a changeling? Random thought. Anyways, thank you for your time and patience, please have a nice day. Farewell and safe journeys for now.
Living the Fantasy (fan website)

Rifter #45; Of Bows & Arrows (Archery; expanding rules and abilities)
Rifter #52; From Ruins to Runes (Living Rune Weapons; playable characters and NPC)
Rifter #55; Home Away From Home (Quorian Culture; expanded from PF Book 9: Baalgor Wastelands)

Official PDF versions of Rifter #45, #52, and #55 can be found at DriveThruRPG.
barna10
Hero
Comment: Started playing Palladium in 1990.

Unread post by barna10 »

Prysus wrote:
Greetings and Salutations. Hmm ... this topic just gave me an odd thought (or maybe something discussed before and I missed it). Could a changeling wizard cast Purification (level 7 spell, page 202) to cleanse the food of salt and/or alcoholic content of liquor? Not exactly the intent of the spell, but it removes toxins/poisons and wouldn't those count as such for a changeling? Random thought. Anyways, thank you for your time and patience, please have a nice day. Farewell and safe journeys for now.

I would allow it, but many would probably call it meta-gaming. We once had something like this happen when one of the PCs jumped down the throat of a rather large creature. The creature cast purge-self and expelled the PC as if he were a parasite. I thought it was an awesome move by the GM, but the other players argued about it for about an hour.
AlanGunhouse
Champion

Unread post by AlanGunhouse »

Can you cast a spell when you can not talk due to a PC in the throat?
barna10
Hero
Comment: Started playing Palladium in 1990.

Unread post by barna10 »

AlanGunhouse wrote:Can you cast a spell when you can not talk due to a PC in the throat?

When you're 30+ feet long, the PC passes the voice-box pretty quick.
pblackcrow
Champion

Unread post by pblackcrow »

Nobleman. Because of the stress and pressures of running whatever he/she has to watch the salt intake. It worked for 4 years.
Ankh, udja, seneb.

Return to “Palladium Fantasy RPG®”