Ultimate rifts ninja dodge!!!...?

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Rockwolf66
Hero

Re: Ultimate rifts ninja dodge!!!...?

Unread post by Rockwolf66 »

limejello10512 wrote:once upon a time it was not possible to dodge ranged weapons except with special occ ablities one such occ was the mystic ninja with its -3 for arrows and -6 for firearms. Yet now every OCC can dodge weapons at -5! (-10 for point blank range) plus their pp bonus if any.

Don't you mean that Pre-RUE that any OCC could dodge any form of ranged attacks with full bonuses?

The whole -10 to dodge ranged attacks was introduced in the RUE and some people like myself have really hated it because is is neather realistic nor is it cinimatic as in real life there have been people who have litterally walked around in sniper fire without getting hit as they figured out how to walk in such a way as to throw off a sniper's aim. then there is the video a a lawyer who is dodging the shots of someone trying to shoot him at point blank range.

Cinimatically you have all of those fancy bullettime scenes in films like The matrix, Equalibrium or Ultravilet where the main character dances around a hail of bullets unharmed.
"Having met a few brits over here i wonder about them. The Military ones I met through my dad as a kid seem to be the most ruthless men on the planet..." -Steve Hobbs
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Unread post by Killer Cyborg »

Originally, everybody could attempt to dodge ranged attacks with full bonuses.
The -10 rule was introduced in Rifts Japan.
It was modified or reprinted, iirc, in the RGMG.
It was modified again in RUE.

But I don't believe the rule was ever that ONLY ninjas and samurai could attempt to dodge.
Everybody could try, but they were at -10 with no bonuses.
Ninjas and Samurai were only at -2 or -4, I believe.
Why?
Because they're super-kewl! :roll:
Annual Best Poster of the Year Awards (2012)

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!
The Beast
Demon Lord Extraordinaire
Comment: You probably think this comment is about you, don't you?

Unread post by The Beast »

Rockwolf66 wrote:The whole -10 to dodge ranged attacks was introduced in the RUE and some people like myself have really hated it because is is neather realistic nor is it cinimatic as in real life there have been people who have litterally walked around in sniper fire without getting hit as they figured out how to walk in such a way as to throw off a sniper's aim. then there is the video a a lawyer who is dodging the shots of someone trying to shoot him at point blank range.

If you're talking about the one shooting in CA where the lawyer is behind a tree he actually was hit a few times, just not seriously enough to get him to stop trying to dodge.
Shark_Force
Palladin

Unread post by Shark_Force »

limejello10512 wrote:BTW this man wasn't really dodgeing he was probably running serpenten to make himself harder to hit or perhaps he saw the shooter raise a weapon and suddenly changed position. That was luck and bad aim not skill.

well what exactly do you think dodging consists of? spotting the bullet with your naked eye and jumping out of the way while it travels through the air towards you with your superhuman powers?
Colt47
Champion
Comment: Keeper of the Pies

Unread post by Colt47 »

Shark_Force wrote:
limejello10512 wrote:BTW this man wasn't really dodgeing he was probably running serpenten to make himself harder to hit or perhaps he saw the shooter raise a weapon and suddenly changed position. That was luck and bad aim not skill.

well what exactly do you think dodging consists of? spotting the bullet with your naked eye and jumping out of the way while it travels through the air towards you with your superhuman powers?

Of course! The only other way to dodge bullets is through specialized juicer developed break dancing routines. ;)
Norbu the Enchanter: Hello friends! What brings you to my shop today?

Big Joe: We need some things enchanted to take a beating...

Norbu: Perhaps you want your weapons enchanted? Or maybe a shield or sword? I can even enchant armor!

Big Joe: We need you to enchant this Liver, this heart, and these kidneys.

Norbu: :shock:
Akashic Soldier
Knight
Comment: Theres space for a paper airplane race in the eye of a hurricane.

Unread post by Akashic Soldier »

Colt47 wrote:
Shark_Force wrote:

Of course! The only other way to dodge bullets is through specialized juicer developed break dancing routines. ;)

Whenever I get shot I just go back in time and kill the mother of the guy that shot me. So far that's seemed to work wonders too.
"I flew back to the states just to vote for Trump."
Mumpsimus can be defined as someone who obstinately clings to an error, bad habit or prejudice, even after the foible has been exposed.
I will not answer posts/questions/accusations by people on my foes list.
The Ugly Truth - Carl Gleba on the Cabal of 24.
Rifts® Online: Megaversal Highway.
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Unread post by Killer Cyborg »

limejello10512 wrote:Actually you're right I just dug it out the core book says that but I KNOW I read some where that only certain classes can dodge fire arms. (maybe a robotech book?) Now it makes even less sense. guess I'll just replace the -10 with -6 or maybe that was only on horseback?

"Dodge Arrow Bonus: The ninja can try to dodge arrow attacks, but
are -3 to dodge them and -6 to dodge energy blasts or gun fire. As
usual, a dodge counts as one melee action/attack."

this is the rule what do you guys think it means?

It means that instead of the normal -10 to dodge, the ninjas only receive a -3 or -6.
Annual Best Poster of the Year Awards (2012)

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!
Shark_Force
Palladin

limejello10512 wrote:Oh and btw yes that's what dodging means unless you're ducking out of the way you're not really dodging... running really fast and hoping the shooter misses is not dodging. Though in all fairness that premptive dodge I mentioned above might change the playing field.

ok, tell you what. you explain to me how you're dodging that beam of coherent light, which will hit you before you have time for you to even perceive it's presence (the light may reach your eyes somehow, but then your eyes have to send that information to your brain which has to process it etc) when you very clearly have absolutely no means of reacting to it once the trigger is pulled.

sorry, no; you dodge by making yourself a hard target. yes, it is active. you might be moving erratically. you may even be ducking and weaving. you absolutely are not detecting the attack and getting out of the way while it travels through the air.
Nightmask
Palladin

Unread post by Nightmask »

Shark_Force wrote:
limejello10512 wrote:Oh and btw yes that's what dodging means unless you're ducking out of the way you're not really dodging... running really fast and hoping the shooter misses is not dodging. Though in all fairness that premptive dodge I mentioned above might change the playing field.

ok, tell you what. you explain to me how you're dodging that beam of coherent light, which will hit you before you have time for you to even perceive it's presence (the light may reach your eyes somehow, but then your eyes have to send that information to your brain which has to process it etc) when you very clearly have absolutely no means of reacting to it once the trigger is pulled.

sorry, no; you dodge by making yourself a hard target. yes, it is active. you might be moving erratically. you may even be ducking and weaving. you absolutely are not detecting the attack and getting out of the way while it travels through the air.

That's pretty much how it goes for all ranged attacks when you think about it. You aren't dodging the actual projectile (whether it be bullet or photon) you're dodging the target point of the weapon. If you're far enough away you might be able to dodge a bullet after it's fired but in general you're spending your time simply trying to avoid that barrel of the weapon covering your body long enough for them to pull the trigger and hit you, and the barrel can only be moved so fast no matter what it fires.
Fair warning: I consider being called a munchkin a highly offensive slur and do report people when they err in doing so.

'Reality is very disappointing.' - Jonathan Switcher from Mannequin

It's 'canon', not 'cannon'. A cannon is a big gun like on pirate ships, canon is what you mean when referring to something as being contained within one of the books such as how many dice to roll for a stat.
Shark_Force
Palladin

Nightmask wrote:That's pretty much how it goes for all ranged attacks when you think about it. You aren't dodging the actual projectile (whether it be bullet or photon) you're dodging the target point of the weapon. If you're far enough away you might be able to dodge a bullet after it's fired but in general you're spending your time simply trying to avoid that barrel of the weapon covering your body long enough for them to pull the trigger and hit you, and the barrel can only be moved so fast no matter what it fires.

i know. i merely wanted to use the example where it's blatantly obvious that you cannot detect the actual attack (because it is literally traveling at the speed of light) before it arrives. particularly since the source of that laser could be, say, a robot's visor or something like that.

Return to “Rifts®”