So what's your dream load out?

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Nightmask
Palladin

So what's your dream load out?

Unread post by Nightmask »

If you had the option of selecting pretty much any gear for a party of 6-8 PC and NPC what would your dream team's starting gear be? Anything up to vehicles like the Proctor Long Range Interceptor or the Avenger power armor on down (no fleet flagships for example requiring crews in the dozens or hundreds). All hand-waved away as a fluke of circumstances that they managed at the tender level of 1 to acquire, and the reminder that KEEPING it isn't a given and all those maintenence/upkeep costs will be a consideration as well. So let's hear it, what would you just love to have your new party start out with in a game? If necessary detailing the Race/Class of the party members can naturally be included.
Fair warning: I consider being called a munchkin a highly offensive slur and do report people when they err in doing so.

'Reality is very disappointing.' - Jonathan Switcher from Mannequin

It's 'canon', not 'cannon'. A cannon is a big gun like on pirate ships, canon is what you mean when referring to something as being contained within one of the books such as how many dice to roll for a stat.
Nightmask
Palladin

Re: So what's your dream load out?

A bit surprised no one's chimed in, unless they're just worried/afraid of being jumped on for listing their wish list.

For myself I'd love to see the group with half-dozen DV-15 Dyna Bots with the standard TX-50 rail guns for security, 4 T-31 Super-trooper power armors and enough supplies for six reloads, and enough WR-5050 Super Cargo Haulers to carry everything so probably 4 of those. Also 4 of the T-550 Glitter Boys and similar supply extras.

For Body Armor a half dozen each of the CAF normal and heavy body armors and an energy pack for each for augmented ammo power for energy weapons. Since I like a round half-dozen in general for things the same for the HI series Phase World laser pistols and rifles, and of course six e-clips each.

Top things off with 4 of the Mark IV space Glitter Boys (the ones with the particle beam cannons) since I enjoy them so much, and because of the Glitter Boys several of the Glitter Boy repair vehicles with full supplies from Free Quebec.

Plus all the basic medical and support gear, and if there are Techno-Wizards on the team plenty of gems so they're able to have a month's worth or so of gems for construction work and the like.

Probably a few other items I'm missing, but this is a good coverage of my 'dream team' for starting out for a group.
Fair warning: I consider being called a munchkin a highly offensive slur and do report people when they err in doing so.

It's 'canon', not 'cannon'. A cannon is a big gun like on pirate ships, canon is what you mean when referring to something as being contained within one of the books such as how many dice to roll for a stat.
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Unread post by Killer Cyborg »

It all depends on the group and the campaign.
For some adventures, my dream team would have high-end stuff from the Megaversal Legion and Naruni, but for other adventures my dream team would have all SDC gear.
Annual Best Poster of the Year Awards (2012)

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!
Looonatic
Adventurer

Unread post by Looonatic »

Such a difficult question to respond to. Equipment is so personal to the character. My own equipment would depend on my character. I couldn't even begin to guess what the rest of the party's equipment might be.
--The more powerful you are, the less tacos you get.--
Giant2005
Knight

Unread post by Giant2005 »

I agree it depends on the character.
Assuming the question is designed with munchkin intents, if I were going full munchkin I'd love to have a set of Hecate's Armor and some Ghostly Soul Slaying Katana's from Japan.
Ranged weapons would entirely depend on the character.
Looonatic
Adventurer

Unread post by Looonatic »

Giant2005 wrote:I agree it depends on the character.
Assuming the question is designed with munchkin intents, if I were going full munchkin I'd love to have a set of Hecate's Armor and some Ghostly Soul Slaying Katana's from Japan.

I wouldn't mind a USS Ticonderoga while we're at it. ;)
--The more powerful you are, the less tacos you get.--
Giant2005
Knight

And a few killer satellites under my control.
Nightmask
Palladin

That'd be a false assumption and I really wish people would stop calling everything munchkin. It's just a simple question as to what you'd like starting out if cost wasn't a problem (and from what I've heard the hecate armor sounds well above the Avengers power armor given as a cap).

Blue_Lion
Knight

Unread post by Blue_Lion »

Nightmask wrote:

That'd be a false assumption and I really wish people would stop calling everything munchkin. It's just a simple question as to what you'd like starting out if cost wasn't a problem (and from what I've heard the hecate armor sounds well above the Avengers power armor given as a cap).

It is realy based on charter i had one charter a converted from ninja and super spies had no gear that was not sdc. Did three missions with no MDC abilty. While in another i made a TW tanker. depends on the charter and power level of the group.
The Clones are coming you shall all be replaced, but who is to say you have not been replaced already.

Master of Type-O and the obvios.

Soon my army oc clones and winged-monkies will rule the world but first, must .......

I may debate canon and RAW, but the games I run are highly house ruled. So I am not debating for how I play but about how the system works as written.
Nether
Adventurer

Unread post by Nether »

What book is Hecate's lesser armor from?
dragonfett
Knight

Unread post by dragonfett »

At least 1 Psi-Stalker Scout with NE-C20 Variable Camouflage Armor and either a JA-11 Juicer Assassin Rifle or a Wilk's 457 Laser Rifle with a telecoping, thermal imaging, laser targeting scope and light filters.

1 Full Combat 'Borg with maxed out armor on all sections, maxed PS, PP, and Speed, Multi-Optic Eyes, a forearm particle beam tied directly in to the 'borg's main power unit, a shoulder mounted mini-missile launcher, and HI-B3 Heavy Infantry Armor, firing a WI-GL21 Automatic Grenade Launcher (the rifle version of the WI-GL20 for 'borgs and power armor troops) with either Frag rounds or Armor Piercing depending on the situation.

A Merc Soldier EOD MOS in NG-EX10 Gladius Exo-Skeleton or a modified Triax T-13 Field Mechanic armor with an extra 10% armor depending on whether or not the GM feels that the Exo-Skeleton would hinder the needed fine motor control for delicate work. Would fire a modified NG-E12 Plasma Ejector with added grenade launcher underneath, and carries around an assortment of fusion blocks and other explosives with blasting caps.

A Robot Pilot in a NG-V7 Hunter Mobile Gun with two Robot Pilots acting as Gunner and Co-Pilot (respectively).

And finally, a Power Armor Pilot with a Flying Titan power armor, fully loaded with Armor Piercing SRM's and carrying a Wilk's 347, providing an eye in the sky recon and all that other stuff.

So that is technically 7, or 5 units (counting the 3 Robot Pilots as 1 unit).

Edited text in red.
Last edited by dragonfett on Thu Jul 28, 2011 2:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Under the Pain of Death
I would Stand Alone
Against an Army of Darkness
And Horrors Unknown
Giant2005
Knight

Nether wrote:What book is Hecate's lesser armor from?

Pantheons of the Megaverse.
It is under Hecate's equipment, she sells half strength versions of her armor for a few bil.
Dr Megaverse
Adventurer

Unread post by Dr Megaverse »

A RPA in a Sidewinder SAMAS with an Arkhon TB-Prime Tri-Beam Energy Rifle wired into the suits nuclear supply and Naruni shield generators strapped on it. A specialty helmet with a HUD linked to a drone control system allows the suit to interface with Naruni Drones.

A borg character who had been put into a Naruni Repo-Bot in perfect condition but reprogrammed.

A robot pilot with an X-2000 Dyna Max. The Dyna Max has had several unique systems built into/onto it by the groups TW. An EW platform designed to block communications and interfere with missile seekers. A PPE backup power source. A force field system consisting of emitters placed evenly around the robot as directional deflectors.

A Mind Melter with an Eternal Brain Implant, a Psychometric Booster, a TK Force-Field Auto Defense, and a Telepathic Sender implanted.

A TW, rides in the Dyna Max and assists as a gunner when not creating things that go boom! Has a suit of Arzno TW Incursion Body Armor and has a modified TW Force Cannon which has no recoil.

Those are just some of the things I can think of off the top of my head.
Nightmask
Palladin

Nice selections there, particularly with some of those more creative ideas and customizing. Also nice to see someone giving the Gladius some loving. ;-)

Dog_O_War
Champion
Comment: I'ma fight you, Steve!

Unread post by Dog_O_War »

Everything would be custom.

To give you an idea of what I'm talking about:
a body-replica Panzer Tiger I on a 1.5:1 scale made entirely of re-cast Glitterboy plating, with a 210mm auto-loading railgun (effectively a big boomgun) surrounded by 20 JA-9 laser rifles stripped down to the bare essentials, as well as a high-capacity mini-missile launcher (filled with fragmentation missiles) connected to a nuclear power source.
Also in the tank would be 5 Naruni super-heavy force fields connected to their own nuclear power source, with a final third nuclear power source to run the tank and standard functions itself.
The tank would be geared to do 80mph, be NBC sealed, have long-range radar, several targeting computers, technowizardry enhancements (like armour bizarre, impervious to energy, and negate magic, among others) connected to a faerie battery, as well as a vehicular version of the bionic mind-blocker psionic filter.
All painted in a black/dark red/red camo pattern, so everyone will know upon sight that death is near.

EDIT: I suppose some reference to the group would help...
5 elite mercs (PCs) with around a dozen hired hands. The actual OCCs don't matter as long as there is both a dogboy and a mind-melter present.
Thread Bandit
I didn't say "rooster"
My masters were full of cheesecake
The answer to all your "not realistic!" questions. FIREBALL!
I am a King.
I am a Renegade.
I am a Barbarian.
I cry the howl of chaos.
I am the dogs of war.
Faceless Dude
Dungeon Crawler
Comment: The Devil on your Shoulder

Unread post by Faceless Dude »

I created an account just to post this.

I agree that "dream" or "custom" doesn't necessarily mean "munchkin"

This is a custom suit of power armor that a Headhunter character of mine favored:

Take a Bandito Arms Sidewinder SAMAS
Pay to have an operator increase the MDC by 15% and lower the weight by...whatever RUE says. I want to say 20%
Pay to integrate a Naruni Medium Force Field (because i'm not greedy enough for bigger)

Load the Toasters with Naruni K-HEX AP Mini-Missiles. I use this for a hard-hitting non-energy system. In my world, the Invulnerability spell literally grows on trees.

Remove the two mini-Lasers. Replace with a pair of dual-tube mini missile launchers, similar to what's on the original SAMAS or the NG Samson. These are loaded with Frag missiles, used to shoot down missile volleys aimed at you.

Ditch the Grenade Launcher longarm. In it's place, carry an NEH-75 Shoulder Cannon with an extended ammo supply.

Other long weapons can be used. The suit in question was used by a Robot-Slammer and using a single-shot weapon allowed access to the triple damage crits vs. Tech. I envisioned this with a Shemarrian Railgun, but never was able to locate one in-game.

Probably my most favorite suit of Power Armor that I've had a character use. I keep it handy in my notes even still. If my group gets too uppity I'll stick a Phaeton Juicer inside and see how they like it.
Not Misunderstood, Just Evil
Starmage21
Adventurer

Unread post by Starmage21 »

A glitter boy with a TW Silencer on the barrel (so your friends dont get deafened), and a shoulder-mounted short-ranged smart-missile launcher (opposite shoulder to the boom gun). Forearm-mounted minigun or railgun based on the NG-202 or the arm-gun of the Tsunami dragon-borg. On the other fore-arm I want the automatic grenade launcher from merc-ops, which gets belt-fed from an expansion pack to the boom-gun ammo pack. Lastly, I want the glitter-boy's jet-pack system upgraded to fully flight capable using those mach 3 ion jetpack things that the mechanoids use. Lastly, hook up a super-heavy naruni force field to the thing.

Basically, if you can't tell. The idea is that if the regular glitter boy is Iron Man, I want my dream Glitter Boy to be War Machine.
Mack
Supreme Being
Comment: This space for rent.

Unread post by Mack »

Hmm... a 6-8 man team...

Let's go with 4 Techno-Wizards and 4 Psi-Techs, piloting a 4 TW-enhanced Glitterboys and 4 TW-enhanced Mecha-Knights (found in Mercs, p134). Plus one trustworthy Vagabond to drive the supply truck and cook the beans for dinner.

Glitterboy upgrades:
-- Add a forearm particle beam (same as the cyborg model, because there are times when you don't want to use the boom gun)
-- TW Invisibility: Simple (for sneaking into the girl's locker room)
-- TW Invincible Armor (so ya don't have to repair the darned thing as often)
-- TW Winged Flight (for some added mobility)
-- TW Cleanse (because polishing that much chrome would suck; and we can't walk around with dirty armor, can we?)

Mecha-Knight upgrades:
-- The heaviest Naruni forcefield (of course)
-- TW Featherlight (for some crazy fast speed)
-- TW Invisibility: Simple (don't wanna get left behind when it's time for the girl's locker room)
-- TW Mend the Broken (who doesn't like armor that repairs itself?)
-- TW Mental Shock gun (replacing that rinky-dinky shoulder laser... Oh look! That SAMAS pilot just forgot his own name!)

There's plenty of other good ideas that could substitute for any of the above. These are just some fun ones that came to mind.
Some gave all.
Love your neighbor.
Know the facts. Know your opinion. Know the difference.
Nightmask
Palladin

Mack wrote:Hmm... a 6-8 man team...

Let's go with 4 Techno-Wizards and 4 Psi-Techs, piloting a 4 TW-enhanced Glitterboys and 4 TW-enhanced Mecha-Knights (found in Mercs, p134). Plus one trustworthy Vagabond to drive the supply truck and cook the beans for dinner.

Glitterboy upgrades:
-- Add a forearm particle beam (same as the cyborg model, because there are times when you don't want to use the boom gun)
-- TW Invisibility: Simple (for sneaking into the girl's locker room)
-- TW Invincible Armor (so ya don't have to repair the darned thing as often)
-- TW Winged Flight (for some added mobility)
-- TW Cleanse (because polishing that much chrome would suck; and we can't walk around with dirty armor, can we?)

Mecha-Knight upgrades:
-- The heaviest Naruni forcefield (of course)
-- TW Featherlight (for some crazy fast speed)
-- TW Invisibility: Simple (don't wanna get left behind when it's time for the girl's locker room)
-- TW Mend the Broken (who doesn't like armor that repairs itself?)
-- TW Mental Shock gun (replacing that rinky-dinky shoulder laser... Oh look! That SAMAS pilot just forgot his own name!)

There's plenty of other good ideas that could substitute for any of the above. These are just some fun ones that came to mind.

My that's one impressive heavy armor team there. Curious though as to why you didn't go with the Mend the Broken on the GBs as well, or does that spell set-up have a max MDC which the GB exceeds? Or felt that the need for flight was more important than self-repair? Either way it's a set-up I quite like. So who would be piloting what? Or would the TW and Psi-Tech's be arranged two each between the two types of armors?

Mack
Supreme Being

Unread post by Mack »

Nightmask wrote:My that's one impressive heavy armor team there. Curious though as to why you didn't go with the Mend the Broken on the GBs as well, or does that spell set-up have a max MDC which the GB exceeds? Or felt that the need for flight was more important than self-repair?

No reason in particular. Mainly I wanted to do something different between the two armors. Mend the Broken would work on a GB as well. You can mix and match the enhancements I used or substitute a myriad of others (Magic Net, Armor Bizarre, Mental Blast, etc...).

Nightmask wrote:Either way it's a set-up I quite like. So who would be piloting what? Or would the TW and Psi-Tech's be arranged two each between the two types of armors?

Yea, in my head it's 2 TW's in GB's, 2 TW's in Mecha-Knights, 2 Psi-Techs in GB's, and 2 Psi-Techs in Mecha-Knights.

This group isn't intended to be invincible, just really formidable.
Some gave all.
Love your neighbor.
Nightmask
Palladin

Mack wrote:
Nightmask wrote:My that's one impressive heavy armor team there. Curious though as to why you didn't go with the Mend the Broken on the GBs as well, or does that spell set-up have a max MDC which the GB exceeds? Or felt that the need for flight was more important than self-repair?

No reason in particular. Mainly I wanted to do something different between the two armors. Mend the Broken would work on a GB as well. You can mix and match the enhancements I used or substitute a myriad of others (Magic Net, Armor Bizarre, Mental Blast, etc...).

Nightmask wrote:Either way it's a set-up I quite like. So who would be piloting what? Or would the TW and Psi-Tech's be arranged two each between the two types of armors?

Yea, in my head it's 2 TW's in GB's, 2 TW's in Mecha-Knights, 2 Psi-Techs in GB's, and 2 Psi-Techs in Mecha-Knights.

This group isn't intended to be invincible, just really formidable.

Definitely fits that role, I really like it. I do love the high-tech sorts and it puts together some nice pairings in this case. They can make for a great group for many situations, while still able to be challenged.

Mack
Supreme Being

Unread post by Mack »

Nightmask wrote:Definitely fits that role, I really like it. I do love the high-tech sorts and it puts together some nice pairings in this case. They can make for a great group for many situations, while still able to be challenged.

Glad you liked it.

If I had the time, I'd do custom variations to each suit of armor. Each would have the same basic setup (a TW armor spell, a TW mobility spell, a TW sneaking around spell...) but the exact choices would vary according to each pilot's preference (Bob likes Invisibility where Fred likes Shadow Meld...). That would give each suit of armor some character, and make it hard for the enemy to know exactly what they're facing.
Some gave all.
Love your neighbor.
Nightmask
Palladin

Mack wrote:
Nightmask wrote:Definitely fits that role, I really like it. I do love the high-tech sorts and it puts together some nice pairings in this case. They can make for a great group for many situations, while still able to be challenged.

Glad you liked it.

If I had the time, I'd do custom variations to each suit of armor. Each would have the same basic setup (a TW armor spell, a TW mobility spell, a TW sneaking around spell...) but the exact choices would vary according to each pilot's preference (Bob likes Invisibility where Fred likes Shadow Meld...). That would give each suit of armor some character, and make it hard for the enemy to know exactly what they're facing.

Always good to mix things up, Rifts isn't the best for letting you do such customizing without having to pretty much make it up as you go along. Glitter Boys in particular don't get much variety and I think many tend to forget anyone can use one with training, it's just the GB Pilot OCC gets some bonuses the others don't. The Psi-Techs of course get to compensate with their machine link specialty (imagine someone with Psi-Tech abilities as a natural feature and the GB Pilot OCC to combine those abilities).

Given some of the fine technologies around blending them can make for some pretty cool specialties, using the GB as the basic frame. I like the idea of imbuing it with the 'Protection From Space' spell as seen in Aliens Unlimited: Galaxy Guide, as it provides some nice protections overall. A useful spell to apply in general, like to space suits. I ought to sit down and glean the materials I've got and see what would look nice on a GB and work up my own modular variant.

dragonfett
Knight

Unread post by dragonfett »

Nightmask wrote:
Mack wrote:

Glad you liked it.

Always good to mix things up, Rifts isn't the best for letting you do such customizing without having to pretty much make it up as you go along. Glitter Boys in particular don't get much variety and I think many tend to forget anyone can use one with training, it's just the GB Pilot OCC gets some bonuses the others don't. The Psi-Techs of course get to compensate with their machine link specialty (imagine someone with Psi-Tech abilities as a natural feature and the GB Pilot OCC to combine those abilities).

Given some of the fine technologies around blending them can make for some pretty cool specialties, using the GB as the basic frame. I like the idea of imbuing it with the 'Protection From Space' spell as seen in Aliens Unlimited: Galaxy Guide, as it provides some nice protections overall. A useful spell to apply in general, like to space suits. I ought to sit down and glean the materials I've got and see what would look nice on a GB and work up my own modular variant.

I thought the basic GB was already space worthy?
Under the Pain of Death
I would Stand Alone
Against an Army of Darkness
And Horrors Unknown
Nightmask
Palladin

dragonfett wrote:
Nightmask wrote:Always good to mix things up, Rifts isn't the best for letting you do such customizing without having to pretty much make it up as you go along. Glitter Boys in particular don't get much variety and I think many tend to forget anyone can use one with training, it's just the GB Pilot OCC gets some bonuses the others don't. The Psi-Techs of course get to compensate with their machine link specialty (imagine someone with Psi-Tech abilities as a natural feature and the GB Pilot OCC to combine those abilities).

I thought the basic GB was already space worthy?

While the basic GB is able to survive in space it can't get around, and the spell's as much for protection in case of armor breach as it is for general usefulness. I tend to be a 'worst case scenario' sort, favoring things that help give a wide range of protection just in case. Plus the GB hasn't any ability to maneuver in space unless it's specifically built for it or has some kind of technical or magical enhancement to allow it to, and it can't use its Boom cannon without suffering some massive problems from the recoil (hence why the later versions created in space use energy weapons rather than kinetic weapons like the Boom Cannon).

Rimmer
Adventurer

Unread post by Rimmer »

My True Atlantean Gunslinger is loaded with Naruni Guns and a Techno Wizard modified Hargun combat bike.
I let my wife play rifts once....................she shot me in the back of the head with a naruni plasma pistol, gaffa taped a type 4 fusion block to my nether regions, and kicked my ass off the apc travelling at 100 MPH

gimme a break, my pc is a playa, not me.
Nightmask
Palladin

frogboy wrote:Im glad the guys I play with dont come to this forum.

Afraid they'd get ideas and break things more than they already like to do?

Return to “Rifts®”