Fun Thread: Try to stump your fellow Rifts fans!

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

cornholioprime
Palladin
Comment: At long last....I am FINALLY free of my wonderful addiction to the online Flash game "Bloons."
Well, mostly.....
Location: In the Hivelands with General Jericho Holmes, taking advantage of suddenly stupid Xiticix...

Fun Thread: Try to stump your fellow Rifts fans!

Unread post by cornholioprime »

Okay, Ladies and Gentlemen, here is a chance to strut your stuff; as the Title of the Thread asks, you are to TRY and stump the "self-professed" Loremasters of Rifts (yes, I too would count myself amongst them) with Questions that you come up with.

But first, a few Ground Rules.

1. PLEASE LIMIT YOUR QUESTIONS TO THE CANON BOOKS DIRECTLY RELATED TO THE RIFTS GAME SETTING.
    This means that the various Rift Dimension Books are Fair Game, as well as the Rifts World Books, as well as the various Rifts Conversion Books and Rifts Sourcebooks.
    NO RIFTERS, NOT EVEN THE OFFICIAL MATERIAL THAT SOME ISSUES HAVE IN THEM.
  2. Despite the title of the Thread, the Questioner may direct his Question to anyone, several folks, or everybody (open question), but he or she must specify which is which -otherwise a Question that isn't addressed to anyone in particular may be answered by anyone.
  3. Only one Question, per Questioner, at a time.
  4. The person who correctly answers a question has the right to ask another Question of their own, or may leave it up to someone else (please specify which).
  5. A Question not answered by someone after 4 hours is fair game for anyone else to answer -it becomes an Open Question. Please, be respectful and allow the person Questioned to have this time to come up with an Answer before answering in their stead.
  6. If an Open Question has not been answered in 4 hours, the Questioner should provide the audience with the answer so that the Game (and the Thread) keeps moving.
  7. Please, try to avoid asking overly "technical" questions such as the exact Number of Attacks that an OCC proficient in 'Hand to Hand: Assassin' gets at level 10, or the starting MDC of a fourth level Fury Beetle. Apart from that, virtually ANY question is fair game.
  8. THE QUESTIONER MAY LOOK INTO THE BOOKS HE OWNS TO FORM A QUESTION, BUT THE ANSWERER OF THE QUESTION MAY NOT CONSULT HIS BOOKS FOR THE ANSWER. PLEASE, BE HONORABLE AND HAVE FUN.

In the next Post, I'll get things started with the first Question.
Last edited by cornholioprime on Thu Nov 25, 2010 11:36 pm, edited 3 times in total.
The Kevinomicon, Book of Siembieda 3:16.

16 Blessed art Thou above all others, O COALITION STATES, beloved of Kevin;

17 For Thou art allowed to do Evil without Limit, nor do thy Enemies retaliate.

18 Thy Military be run by Fools and Dotards.

19 Yet thy Nation suffers not. Praise be unto Him that protects thee from all harm!!
cornholioprime
Palladin
Comment: At long last....I am FINALLY free of my wonderful addiction to the online Flash game "Bloons."
Well, mostly.....
Location: In the Hivelands with General Jericho Holmes, taking advantage of suddenly stupid Xiticix...

Re: Fun Thread: Try to STUMP the Rifts™ Loremasters!!

In the Star Trek fictional universe, the Voyager Space Probe "V-Ger" almost destroyed the Earth after getting an upgrade.

Q: In the Rifts Game Setting, what trouble has the Voyager caused this time around??

I direct this question to everyone.

19 Yet thy Nation suffers not. Praise be unto Him that protects thee from all harm!!
Johnathan
Adventurer

Unread post by Johnathan »

I'm going to answer with "None."

Or it could just be that I lack proper reference material... Nothing I have mentions Voyager.
Hotrod wrote:I haven't noticed saints getting the bad end of the bargain at all. Sure, a lot of them die in pain and poverty. A lot of jerks die in agony, betrayal, and humiliation, often taking their own lives rather than having to face the consequences of what they've done.
cornholioprime
Palladin
Well, mostly.....

Johnathan wrote:I'm going to answer with "None."

Or it could just be that I lack proper reference material... Nothing I have mentions Voyager.
Of course it doesn't mention Voyager by name....but it mentions something that Voyager took WITH it....

(Damn. That probably made it TOO easy, now.)

Jorel
Champion
Comment: I'm a Derrik, Derriks don't run.

Unread post by Jorel »

The gold disk?
Customer Service Director for Northern Gun

"The Devil's among us!
Stay back boy!...This calls for Divine Intervention!
I kick arse for the Lord!"
-Father McGruder- Braindead (a.k.a. Dead Alive)
cornholioprime
Palladin
Well, mostly.....

Jorel wrote:The gold disk?
I remember that Voyager (and perhaps all such Deep Space probes) carried such a so-called Golden Disk, but what is the significance in the Rifts setting?

Jorel
Champion

Unread post by Jorel »

It brought the Mechanoids to Earth.

"The Devil's among us!
cornholioprime
Palladin
Well, mostly.....

Jorel wrote:It brought the Mechanoids to Earth.
Nope, sorry.

EDIT: However, the behavior of the Mechanoids just MIGHT be another hint for those who have the proper book(s)......

Mallak's Place
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Mallak's Place »

Didn't a Voyager Style probe enrage the Necron into their Jihad against technology in the 3-galaxies?
cornholioprime
Palladin
Well, mostly.....

The answer to the first Question is: The Necrons of the Three Galaxies.

They have a genocidal hatred of all technology, and they were started on their insane path when, while poring through the wreckage of a downed space freighter, they found the so-called Golden Disk as part of the remnants of a Voyager spacecraft. They are to technological societies what the Mechanoids are to bipedal life -murderous.

Carella never told us exactly why the Space Freighter didn't set the Necrons off but the Golden Disk did, and he never explained how the satellite crossed dimensions in the first place, but yeah, us Humans have screwed the pooch yet again.

If the Megaverse EVER finds out just how much misery we Humans are responsible for (the Mechanoids, the Rifts, the Necrons), they just might collectively tar and feather us and run us out of the Megaverse on a rail.

Someone else want to come up with another Question, or should I??

EDIT: Murphy's Law has Mallak come to the Thread JUST as I typed out my own response.

Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Unread post by Killer Cyborg »

I guess Mallak is up next, then.
Got a question, Mr. Place?
Annual Best Poster of the Year Awards (2012)

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!
Carl Gleba
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: Lord of Chaos!

Unread post by Carl Gleba »

cornholioprime wrote:The answer to the first Question is: The Necrons of the Three Galaxies.

They have a genocidal hatred of all technology, and they were started on their insane path when, while poring through the wreckage of a downed space freighter, they found the so-called Golden Disk as part of the remnants of a Voyager spacecraft. They are to technological societies what the Mechanoids are to bipedal life -murderous.

Carella Gleba never told us exactly why the Space Freighter didn't set the Necrons off but the Golden Disk did, and he never explained how the satellite crossed dimensions in the first place, but yeah, us Humans have screwed the pooch yet again.

There is a slight inaccuracy in the answer to your post :D

Good question! Even had me stumped there a bit :wink:
ImageImage
cornholioprime
Palladin
Well, mostly.....

I just realized that, at 228 Posts total over several years, we might not see Mallak back in for a little while.

So, as creator of the Thread, I'll take it upon myself to ask another question in his place.

I am thinking of at least four Magic-Impervious species (RCCs), and at least one Magic-Impervious NPC (that is to say, a named individual in one of the books, not a whole species).

Name them.

Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

cornholioprime wrote:I just realized that, at 228 Posts total over several years, we might not see Mallak back in for a little while.

So, as creator of the Thread, I'll take it upon myself to ask another question in his place.

I am thinking of at least four Magic-Impervious species (RCCs), and at least one Magic-Impervious NPC (that is to say, a named individual in one of the books, not a whole species).

Name them.

Crap.
There's one or two species in Atlantis.
Hawrk-Ra and Duwrk-ra or something like that, I think.
There's the Mulka, from Manhunters.

... and that's all I've got.

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Subjugator
Palladium Books® Super Fan

Unread post by Subjugator »

I can only think of the four impervious species. Hawrk Duhk, Hawk Ohl, their other counterpart, and the Mulka. No idea on the specific NPC though.

Zurvan or whomever that 4D guy is maybe?
There's a reason...and a very good one...that I have certain people in this forum blocked both here and on Facebook.

I can see an illustration of that nearly every time I come here.
cornholioprime
Palladin
Well, mostly.....

I knew that 'most everyone would get the Hawrks from Rifts: Atlantis right away, and maybe one of the species from the other Books....but I rather expect that most people will find it hard to remember the magic-impervious NPC (by the way, this character is the only character that I can think of in all of the Palladium settings besides Lord Sahtalus, who is only vulnerable to iron, in Dragons and Gods -and even then that doesn't guarantee that he is actually magic-impervious).

Subjugator

Got a great question for y'all. What is the first non-human race that had the ability to become a Juicer? *hint* It's an MDC race.

/Sub
There's a reason...and a very good one...that I have certain people in this forum blocked both here and on Facebook.

cornholioprime
Palladin
Well, mostly.....

Subjugator wrote:Got a great question for y'all. What is the first non-human race that had the ability to become a Juicer? *hint* It's an MDC race.

/Sub
Now that IS a good one.

Grackle Tooth?

Randomfist
Explorer

Unread post by Randomfist »

Jotan Giants from Conversion book? At least that's what beat the heck out of one of my PC's one time.
Jorel
Champion

Unread post by Jorel »

Randomfist wrote:Jotan Giants from Conversion book? At least that's what beat the heck out of one of my PC's one time.

Sounds right.

"The Devil's among us!
MaxxSterling
Adventurer
Comment: I'm here to kick ass and chew bubblegum...

Unread post by MaxxSterling »

SO... there's this guy who happens to have a weapon that does double damage to children? :/ Who's he and what book's he in?

BY the way, they should mass-market that weapon.
Killer Cyborg
Priest

cornholioprime wrote:
Subjugator wrote:Got a great question for y'all. What is the first non-human race that had the ability to become a Juicer? *hint* It's an MDC race.

/Sub
Now that IS a good one.

Grackle Tooth?

Actually, I think mutant animals were the first (or tied for first place) to be able to be Juicers. If it's not in the main book under converting TMNT characters, it's in CB1.

Other than that, I'd go with Jotun or one of the giants...

Hm.

CB1 came out AFTER a few other books. I think it was before Atlantis, but after SB1 and VK.
That might mean Brodkil, Pogtals, or even Floopers.
I forget which could be Juicers.

Then again, since there was nothing in the main book I saw that restricted Juicer conversion to humans, we always allowed any race to be a Juicer if the OCCs allowed said something like "Any Man-At-Arms."

One last thought, just to rules-lawyer things a bit...
IIRC, you could use SB1 to make a Transferred Intelligence Robot who used to be a human Juicer, and who would keep his original OCC, even though he wouldn't have the actual Juicer conversion anymore.
:p

cornholioprime
Palladin
Well, mostly.....

MaxxSterling wrote:SO... there's this guy who happens to have a weapon that does double damage to children? :/ Who's he and what book's he in?

This is a guy in the Rifts setting?!?

I feel as if I'd remember a guy who owns a weapon that does double damage to children.

As to the previous question I put forth:

The Magic-Impervious Species:

Hawrk-Ka
Hawrk-Duhk
Hawrk-Ohrl
Mulka
Zavor* (I knew that most folks would miss this one!!)

And the magic-impervious NPC:

The Fenris Wolf

*Yes, I know that at least some folks will argue that the Zavor's splitting process represents a certain type of reaction to magic, but I'm going by the books and a strict reading of the term "invulnerable;" they are not vulnerable to any form of magic and therefore impervious to its harmful effects, even though they benefit from it on the other hand.

But then again, that was one of the reasons why I asked for 4 species and not 5 in the first place.

Subjugator

The first race that could become juicers other than humans were the Vernoulians (Cihuacoutals) from Vampire Kingdoms.

"Available OCCs: Any!"

In fairness though, I don't know if CB1 was published before VK. I got in after they were both published, so my information might be incorrect.

/Sub

Damian Magecraft
Knight
Comment: Evil GM
Master of Magics
Defender of the Faith

Unread post by Damian Magecraft »

MaxxSterling wrote:SO... there's this guy who happens to have a weapon that does double damage to children? :/ Who's he and what book's he in?

this one has my curiosity up.
That is not something easily forgotten.
DM is correct by the way. - Ninjabunny
It's a shoddy carpenter who blames his tools. - Killer Cyborg
Every group has one problem player. If you cannot spot the one in your group; look in the mirror.
It is not a good session until at least one player looks you in the eye and says "you sick twisted evil ****"
Killer Cyborg
Priest

cornholioprime wrote:Zavor* (I knew that most folks would miss this one!!)

And the magic-impervious NPC:

The Fenris Wolf

Doh!

Killer Cyborg
Priest

Subjugator wrote:The first race that could become juicers other than humans were the Vernoulians (Cihuacoutals) from Vampire Kingdoms.

"Available OCCs: Any!"

In fairness though, I don't know if CB1 was published before VK. I got in after they were both published, so my information might be incorrect.

/Sub

VK came first, I'm pretty sure.

cornholioprime
Palladin
Well, mostly.....

Damian Magecraft wrote:

this one has my curiosity up.
That is not something easily forgotten.
Aye.

I still remember that Dunscon has to kill a sentient being a week, so I would, I think, most definitely remember something designed to give children extra damage if ever I came across in in ANY of Palladium's settings.
(I don't even think that any of the Dread Micro Wizards of Chaos from the Heroes Unlimited setting has something like this -and they LOVE scaring and harming children!)

And to ask once more to be sure: Is this guy in one of the Rifts Books? And is this "one guy," or a whole race -and you, the Questioner, only meant "this guy" in a slang sense?

Mallak's Place
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Mallak's Place »

Sounds familiar... One of the demons in the Chaos Earth Books. (Smacking head on wall)
Subjugator

I thought the Bogie also functioned similarly.

/Sub

cornholioprime
Palladin
Well, mostly.....

Subjugator wrote:I thought the Bogie also functioned similarly.

/Sub
I, too, thought of the Bogie/"Bogeyman" almost immediately.....

but I don't remember them having any such 'trademark' weapon.

Also -and I wish that the Questioner would come back to clarify it -I think that he is indeed talking about a specific individual.

Killer Cyborg
Priest

Mallak's Place wrote:

Sounds familiar... One of the demons in the Chaos Earth Books. (Smacking head on wall)

Okay, NOW it's starting to sound familiar.
That definitely sounds like something in the Chaos Earth book on demons and monsters.

cornholioprime
Palladin
Well, mostly.....

Killer Cyborg wrote:
Mallak's Place wrote:

That definitely sounds like something in the Chaos Earth book on demons and monsters.
I want to look in my Books so badly now. :frust:

(But then again, the 'pain' of not knowing is half the fun!)

Damian Magecraft
Knight
Master of Magics
Defender of the Faith

Killer Cyborg wrote:
Mallak's Place wrote:

I am thinking a little newer book now...

Person: Nicodeamus The Demon Lord?
Book: Hades?
Every group has one problem player. If you cannot spot the one in your group; look in the mirror.
It is not a good session until at least one player looks you in the eye and says "you sick twisted evil ****"
cornholioprime
Palladin
Well, mostly.....

Damian Magecraft wrote:
Killer Cyborg wrote:
Mallak's Place wrote:

I'm pretty sure that it isn't Nicodeamus.

I have both the Gods an Dragons and Hades books.

I sure hope that the Questioner comes back to give an answer soon.

Damian Magecraft
Knight
Master of Magics
Defender of the Faith

cornholioprime wrote:
Damian Magecraft wrote:
Killer Cyborg wrote:
Mallak's Place wrote:

I'm pretty sure that it isn't Nicodeamus.

I have both the Gods an Dragons and Hades books.

I sure hope that the Questioner comes back to give an answer soon.

Corny...
do you have any idea how hard it is to not consult my books on this?
Braden Campbell
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer

Unread post by Braden Campbell »

is it Bes the Depraved as found in Rifts: Africa?
Braden, GMPhD

If that doesn't prompt you to buy it, I don't know what else I can say.
cornholioprime
Palladin
Well, mostly.....

Braden Campbell wrote:is it Bes the Depraved as found in Rifts: Africa?
I'm pretty sure that it isn't him, either.

If this guy doesn't come back to answer this in the next hour or two, I'm going to go TRY to find the answer, and hopefully have that answer before I go to work tomorrow morning.

And from what other people have said, Chaos Earth seems to be just as good a place as any to look (since those Books are the ones that I've least read and re-read in my personal collection).

cornholioprime
Palladin
Well, mostly.....

I think that it's safe to say that, yes, you've STUMPED us all with this question, Maxx.

If you read this Message before I am able to find the Answer to this question (I'm going to start looking through the Books in a minute), I for one would appreciate it if you'd answer the question.

EDIT: Also, since no one correctly answered your Question, it is your choice whether you decide to ask another Question or allow someone else to ask.

Jorel
Champion

Unread post by Jorel »

Pretty sure it is one from Creatures of Magic.

"The Devil's among us!
cornholioprime
Palladin
Well, mostly.....

Jorel wrote:Pretty sure it is one from Creatures of Magic.
If you actually meant "Creatures of Chaos" (one of the C-Earth Sourcebooks), I just got through skimming through there, and didn't find it.

Then again, I can barely stay awake....gonna have to try and find it in the morning.

Jorel
Champion

Unread post by Jorel »

That is what I think I meant, one or both. Thanks for checkin. I remember seeing that weapon recently, and laughing to myself. I guess it is not in Black Vault, since it is referencing a "guy" not the item.

"The Devil's among us!
The Beast
Demon Lord Extraordinaire
Comment: You probably think this comment is about you, don't you?

Unread post by The Beast »

Uh, shouldn't the CE line be seperate from the Rifts line? TMK, none of the books have Rifts in the title, which, according to the OP, would disqualifiy them.
Killer Cyborg
Priest

The Beast wrote:Uh, shouldn't the CE line be seperate from the Rifts line? TMK, none of the books have Rifts in the title, which, according to the OP, would disqualifiy them.

My copy is titled: "Rifts Chaos Earth."

Jorel
Champion

Unread post by Jorel »

Killer Cyborg wrote:
The Beast wrote:Uh, shouldn't the CE line be seperate from the Rifts line? TMK, none of the books have Rifts in the title, which, according to the OP, would disqualifiy them.

Same here. Rifts is the first word on the spine after Siemieda's name.

"The Devil's among us!
The Beast
Demon Lord Extraordinaire
Comment: You probably think this comment is about you, don't you?

Unread post by The Beast »

Jorel wrote:
Killer Cyborg wrote:

Well I don't have any of those books, so they're not canon. :P
Jorel
Champion

Unread post by Jorel »

The Beast wrote:
Jorel wrote:
Killer Cyborg wrote:

Well I don't have any of those books, so they're not canon. :P

I believe you mean "I don't follow canon, and I don't own those books so your rules don't affect me", I could be wrong about that. You might also want to include "Keep your laws off my body", but I could be wring about that also.

"The Devil's among us!
MaxxSterling
Adventurer
Comment: I'm here to kick ass and chew bubblegum...

Unread post by MaxxSterling »

In the spirit of the thread, lets skip past my question for now. I know the answer, but just back-burner it for now. It is literally a sentence in one of the books. You'd have to have really read it, to catch it. So, lets keep things moving and I'll post the answer later on, if no one ever comes up with it.
Damian Magecraft
Knight
Master of Magics
Defender of the Faith

MaxxSterling wrote:In the spirit of the thread, lets skip past my question for now. I know the answer, but just back-burner it for now. It is literally a sentence in one of the books. You'd have to have really read it, to catch it. So, lets keep things moving and I'll post the answer later on, if no one ever comes up with it.

DUDE!
we have been worrying this for close to 24 hrs now.
Seeing as you have stumped the panel.
By the rules of the game...
cornholioprime wrote:If an Open Question has not been answered in 4 hours, the Questioner should provide the audience with the answer so that the Game (and the Thread) keeps moving.

It is just polite to answer the question.
cornholioprime
Palladin
Well, mostly.....

MaxxSterling wrote:In the spirit of the thread, lets skip past my question for now. I know the answer, but just back-burner it for now. It is literally a sentence in one of the books. You'd have to have really read it, to catch it. So, lets keep things moving and I'll post the answer later on, if no one ever comes up with it.
If you don't actually know the answer, or created your Question by mistake, No Harm No Foul, just say what it is.

P.S. the closest thing that I saw, anywhere I was able to look, was that one of Bes's twin Rune Daggers (see Rifts: Africa) hates children -and I remembered that much and so did one of the other recent Posters who mentioned Bes (I forget who), but that was all that I was able to find (no mention of extra damage).

Return to “Rifts®”