When will Rifter 52 be out?

For the discussion of all things in the Rifter. As well as ideas for the Rifter and so on.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

gaby
Knight

When will Rifter 52 be out?

Unread post by gaby »

What do you want in Rifter 52?

I hope ther will be BtS,s Adventures and maybe new members for the court of Tarot.
Lord Z
Hero
Comment: Court of Tarot author

Re: When will Rifter 52 be out?

Unread post by Lord Z »

RGG is right about the Halloween theme. Hmm, in recent Rifters we've seen vampires, werewolves, demons (brodkil), and giant monsters get some attention. Zombies haven't appeared since #45 or 46, so I am thinking some more Dead Reign material is likely. I would like to see ghouls get some attention, personally. Has anyone reading this submitted horror materials in the last year or so?
Currently recruiting for Beyond the Supernatural games in 2019 which I am running on Discord: voice, text, and play-by-post. Here is the non-expiring server invite link: 418BQSLG

“All would be well. All would be heavenly— If the damned would only stay damned.”
-- Charles Fort, The Book of the Damned, 1913
The Dark Elf
Rifter® Contributer
Comment: "So gentlemen, are you prepared to open your minds and travel to worlds hitherto undreamed of?"

Unread post by The Dark Elf »

Lord Z wrote:RGG is right about the Halloween theme. Hmm, in recent Rifters we've seen vampires, werewolves, demons (brodkil), and giant monsters get some attention. Zombies haven't appeared since #45 or 46, so I am thinking some more Dead Reign material is likely. I would like to see ghouls get some attention, personally. Has anyone reading this submitted horror materials in the last year or so?

Yes. And I got an email from Wayne saying he thinks he would like to use it in an upcoming Rifter. Fingers crossed! No ofc I wouldnt spoil the chance by revealing what it was.
Rifter 52 Cannibal Magic
Rifter 55 The Ancestral Mystic P.C.C.
Rifter 59 The Lopanic Games adventure "The Lion, the Ditch & the Warlock". Illustrations to this adventure can be found here.
Rifter 71 & 72 Double Issue Ninjas & Superspies adventure "On a Wing & a Prayer"
Rifter 80 Masters Unlimited
Tags
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: The problem with world is all the people.

Unread post by Tags »

Trying to put the finishiong touches on a Dead Reign article... soooo...
I am disillusioned enough to know that no man's opinion on any subject is worth a damn unless backed up with enough genuine information to make him really know what he's talking about.

H. P. Lovecraft
Lord Z
Hero

Unread post by Lord Z »

Mephisto, read what RGG wrote!

If you aren't feeling the Rifter buzz right now, try working on a different project for a time. Sooner or later, you'll find another concept that is right for publication in Rifter if you are in-practice.
Currently recruiting for Beyond the Supernatural games in 2019 which I am running on Discord: voice, text, and play-by-post. Here is the non-expiring server invite link: 418BQSLG

“All would be well. All would be heavenly— If the damned would only stay damned.”
zor_prime1
Rifter® Contributer

Unread post by zor_prime1 »

Mephisto wrote:I'm kind of bummed that I haven't heard anything yet about my last Rifter submission...kind of killed any motivation I had to write.

Please don't be bummed. I've had a few articles published. The only communication that I had before receiving the contract was the two-week call I made to them to see if they recieved the article. The one time that I did communicate a few times with Wayne about an article, it never got published. So no communication before the contract doesn't really guage whether or not your article will be published. No doubt that it's a releif and a thrill to get feedback, but it's been rare for me to get that. I'm not sure about anyone else.

Don't get discouraged. Just have a great time working on your next article. Go the extra mile on those little details. They have a tendancy to grow to add realism and promote other thoughts to explore.

Best of luck to you! :mrgreen:
"I've been senile for as long as I can remember!" - I forget
mrloucifer
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: "Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there... wondering, fearing, doubting" - Edgar Allen Poe

Unread post by mrloucifer »

zor_prime1 wrote:
Mephisto wrote:I'm kind of bummed that I haven't heard anything yet about my last Rifter submission...kind of killed any motivation I had to write.

Please don't be bummed. I've had a few articles published. The only communication that I had before receiving the contract was the two-week call I made to them to see if they recieved the article. The one time that I did communicate a few times with Wayne about an article, it never got published. So no communication before the contract doesn't really guage whether or not your article will be published. No doubt that it's a releif and a thrill to get feedback, but it's been rare for me to get that. I'm not sure about anyone else.

Don't get discouraged. Just have a great time working on your next article. Go the extra mile on those little details. They have a tendancy to grow to add realism and promote other thoughts to explore.

Best of luck to you! :mrgreen:

Its true, Ive had a few articles that waited a year or two before it was published.
"Searchers after horror haunt strange, far places."
–H.P. Lovecraft

By night I'm known as Steven Dawes, that "BTS" guy, and the Host of the House of BTS!
mrloucifer
Comment: "Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there... wondering, fearing, doubting" - Edgar Allen Poe

Keep in mind that the Rifter only comes out quarterly, have only about 100 pages of space while there's probrably a lot of other material for wayne to choose from (including your work) and in some cases they go with a paticular theme for an issue and if your work doesnt fit the theme it has to wait for another opportunity. But dont give up simply over these reasons.
–H.P. Lovecraft

By night I'm known as Steven Dawes, that "BTS" guy, and the Host of the House of BTS!
Lord Z
Hero

Unread post by Lord Z »

Calling Wayne seems to work best for me. In fact, I should try calling him right now while I am thinking about it.

Lord Z
Hero

Unread post by Lord Z »

Thanks for the support, Gaby, but I doubt we'll see any more Court of Tarot related materials appearing in Rifter.

I did send Wayne an NPC who held rank in the Court, but that article wasn't BtS focused. That character was Doctor Van Dragen. He was presented as a series of variations on the same character appearing on parrallel worlds and in different game lines.

Anyway, there are a couple of valid reasons to avoid more Court stuff. For one, new material would be dependant upon the reader having the old material also. This worked well for the Last Street articles articles and the NORAD Duology because those articles appeared in back-to-back issues. It's been seven issues since the Court premiered. Heck, the original article was designed to appear as a series of three article, but Wayne spliced them together which is why the resulting article has that curious and defines the Court three times.

Also, there is a demand consideration. In retrospect, I think the Court of Tarot was one of the least read articles in Rifter history. There are several reasons for this. One -- it was supporting a wanning product line which has been mostly ignored. Mr. Loucifer has kept BtS alive in Rifter through a series of wonderful short articles, but he wisely wrote these as new monstmonster articles, something useful in several other more popular product lines. Two -- the article was easily overlooked. It was way towards the back of a winter issue. I like the artwork there, but none of it defined the article nor drew in a prospective reader. The art complemented what was already there for a gamer already reading it. Three -- there was a heavy theme of history, and some camera (even some in my own home group) have a knee-jerk hatred reaction to anything history-related.

Four -- feedback has very positive and very supportive, but not much. The Court has yet to be mentioned at Lazlo.org. Despite the heavy dosage of local flavor, no one in the Saint Augustine gaming community knows about nor even cares. I haven't heard it mentioned once in two years at our local gaming shop. Heck, most of my own home group doesn't know and wouldn't care.

I don't mean to sound bitter if I come off as such. I enjoyed writing that article, and I think it served the specific pupose I set out to accomplish. I just don't expect the Court to appear again in a regular Rifter issue. Maybe I'll do something Court-derived for RGG's next free ebook.

mrloucifer

Lord Z wrote:
Mr. Loucifer has kept BtS alive in Rifter through a series of wonderful short articles, but he wisely wrote these as new monstmonster articles, something useful in several other more popular product lines.

You flatter me Lord Z as in Zinfandel, but I cant take all the credit. there have been other scribes of the BTS persuasion in the Rifter, and all of them are worthy additions, including your Court of Tarot.
–H.P. Lovecraft

Prysus
Champion

Unread post by Prysus »

Palladium Books® Weekly Update wrote:The Rifter® #52
Horror Issue – Ships October 8, 2010

The Rifter® #52 is our annual horror issue. It is in the final stages of production right now and it is packed with magic, magic items, and scary stuff.

The Rifter® is your doorway to unlimited imagination and numerous Palladium role-playing worlds. It offers new heroes, powers, weapons, magic and adventure for your games. It presents new villains, monsters and dangers to battle, and new ideas to consider.

Issue #52 Presents:
* Rifts®: The Crusaders & The Black Crusade™ – Source material for Rifts® based on a pair of interrelated short stories that appear this issue. Source material includes 35 new Magic Tattoos, a dozen new pieces of equipment and weapons, new variant Sunaj O.C.C.s and more.
* For the Palladium Fantasy RPG®: Cannibal Magic. Perfect material for our horror issue.
* For the Palladium Fantasy RPG®: From Ruins to Runes (easily adaptable to Rifts® and other other settings). Several completely new types of super-rare Rune Weapons from the Elf-Dwarf War.
* The latest chapter of Hammer of the Forge™, fiction.
* News, coming attractions and much more.
* $11.95 retail – 96 pages – Cat. No. 152. Ships October 8.

Greetings and Salutations. Well, that's a sneak peak at Rifter 52 and a release date. May I note the PF article From Ruins to Runes should make the issure more than worth it by itself (*does the happy dance*). Just got the contract in today (for my second total) and felt very pleased. Though I'll note it's not really a horror type article, so I won't be totally surprised if it gets pushed back to issue 53 (notes it may in the contract even). I half figured this was a good update to the topic, and half (maybe a little more than half) wanted to celebrate. Thank you for your time and patience, please have a nice day. Farewell and safe journeys for now.
Living the Fantasy (fan website)

Rifter #45; Of Bows & Arrows (Archery; expanding rules and abilities)
Rifter #52; From Ruins to Runes (Living Rune Weapons; playable characters and NPC)
Rifter #55; Home Away From Home (Quorian Culture; expanded from PF Book 9: Baalgor Wastelands)

Official PDF versions of Rifter #45, #52, and #55 can be found at DriveThruRPG.
Shawn Merrow
Comment: For the glory of Zeon and Zerebus, Sieg Zeon!

2D6 Palladium Forum History Geek Points

Unread post by Shawn Merrow »

Congrats Prysus. :ok:

"Flandre, no Molotov cocktails indoors, please." - Hime from Princess Resurrection
The Dark Elf
Rifter® Contributer
Comment: "So gentlemen, are you prepared to open your minds and travel to worlds hitherto undreamed of?"

Prysus wrote:
Palladium Books® Weekly Update wrote:The Rifter® #52
Horror Issue – Ships October 8, 2010

The Rifter® #52 is our annual horror issue. It is in the final stages of production right now and it is packed with magic, magic items, and scary stuff.

The Rifter® is your doorway to unlimited imagination and numerous Palladium role-playing worlds. It offers new heroes, powers, weapons, magic and adventure for your games. It presents new villains, monsters and dangers to battle, and new ideas to consider.

Issue #52 Presents:
* Rifts®: The Crusaders & The Black Crusade™ – Source material for Rifts® based on a pair of interrelated short stories that appear this issue. Source material includes 35 new Magic Tattoos, a dozen new pieces of equipment and weapons, new variant Sunaj O.C.C.s and more.
* For the Palladium Fantasy RPG®: Cannibal Magic. Perfect material for our horror issue.
* For the Palladium Fantasy RPG®: From Ruins to Runes (easily adaptable to Rifts® and other other settings). Several completely new types of super-rare Rune Weapons from the Elf-Dwarf War.
* The latest chapter of Hammer of the Forge™, fiction.
* News, coming attractions and much more.
* $11.95 retail – 96 pages – Cat. No. 152. Ships October 8.

Greetings and Salutations. Well, that's a sneak peak at Rifter 52 and a release date. May I note the PF article From Ruins to Runes should make the issure more than worth it by itself (*does the happy dance*). Just got the contract in today (for my second total) and felt very pleased. Though I'll note it's not really a horror type article, so I won't be totally surprised if it gets pushed back to issue 53 (notes it may in the contract even). I half figured this was a good update to the topic, and half (maybe a little more than half) wanted to celebrate. Thank you for your time and patience, please have a nice day. Farewell and safe journeys for now.

Gratz Prysus. I think the other PFRPG section sounds awesome too. :bandit:
Rifter 52 Cannibal Magic
Rifter 59 The Lopanic Games adventure "The Lion, the Ditch & the Warlock". Illustrations to this adventure can be found here.
Rifter 71 & 72 Double Issue Ninjas & Superspies adventure "On a Wing & a Prayer"
The Dark Elf
Rifter® Contributer

This was a crazy double post typo - pls ignore
Last edited by The Dark Elf on Sun Sep 12, 2010 3:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rifter 52 Cannibal Magic
Lord Z
Hero

Unread post by Lord Z »

Thanks for the update, Prysus. I for one am surprised to see two Fantasy articles in this issue. Maybe I shouldn't be. Horror themed articles for Fantasy have shown up in Halloween issues before despite it not being a horror game. A lot of the horror will probably appear in the form of art work.

That cannibal magic seems interesting to me. Depending on which direction the material goes, I hope it will be useful and entertaining, but it could be just gross and forgetable. It should at least be an interesting read. I am hopeful.

The rune article will be very well received, I suspect. Rune weapons are a major component of the fantasy game (and popular too) which haven't seen much attention since the Blade Law article.

Then there is the Black Crusade article. Eh, I am not looking forward to this. I have always found the Sunaj to be conspiracy to be highly infeasible even within the context of its own setting. Maybe this article will make a convert out of me if it works as well as the Mystic Knights article from issue #45.

Lord Z
Hero

Unread post by Lord Z »

The cover art is available for previewing now: http://www.palladiumbooks.com/Merchant2/catalog/images/152.jpg.

I don't like it. I am a proponent of sticking with a theme. This issue is horror-themed, and this cover art doesn't imply horror to me.

glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

cannibal magic sounds like something that would be ideal for Simvan or other carnivorous D-Bee race..
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
The Dark Elf
Rifter® Contributer

Lord Z wrote:The cover art is available for previewing now: http://www.palladiumbooks.com/Merchant2/catalog/images/152.jpg.

I don't like it. I am a proponent of sticking with a theme. This issue is horror-themed, and this cover art doesn't imply horror to me.

Other than Cannibal Magic, Im not sure the contents suggest horror to me. Rune weapons and tattoo's. I save judgement after Ive seen the contents - could be very scary tattoo's and rune weapons. Would be a nice spin.
Rifter 52 Cannibal Magic

Return to “The Rifter® Forum”