Silhouettes and the Plane of Shadows

Dimension Books & nothing but..

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

DtMK
Hero

Silhouettes and the Plane of Shadows

Unread post by DtMK »

Ever since the mention of these quasi-elemental beings was first printed, people have wondered about their connection to Shadow Beasts or the Plane of Shadows, talked about in Rifters 20 and 28. I'm thinking of exploring their possible connections in an upcoming game, but has anyone else here explored the Silhouettes and their potential origins in games? Given their natural tendencies for magic, were the Shademen that devoured a race of magic users? Are they just another race that evolved but lost their origins? With their shadow nature, would they look at light and energy beings like the Bhlaze as natural enemies?

I know I can work something out for my own games, but I was wondering if anyone else has delved into the Silhouettes and their connection to the Shadow dimension in their games? I'd love to hear more, and I'm sure I'm not the only one.
Bob Herzog from KoDT put it best: HOODY HOO! http://www.facebook.com/manyfacesofdave
DhAkael
Knight

Re: Silhouettes and the Plane of Shadows

Unread post by DhAkael »

I've played around with the "Shadowmen" a few times, but haven't really developed anything beyond the very very very short blurb given in the original Phaseworld book.
I may need to at some point, but for now I just have it that they are up to something shadey :D
Bind the body to the opened mind

I dream of towers in a world consumed
A void in the sentient sky
I dream of fissures across the moon
Leaves of the lotus rise

~Dream Again By Miracle of Sound
DtMK
Hero

Unread post by DtMK »

There's a lot of possibilities with the Silhouettes, and Lord Gray seems interested in them as well. This tells me that the Silhouettes are somehow connected to the Plane, but even those currently in power don't know how, or how they can exist in sunlight without their powers being reduced. Was it a botched experiment? A long forgotten plan? An accident of fate?

One of my friends says he'd like to come into town and play a Silhouette mage who has come to learn more about his roots by learning everything he can about Shadow Magic. It would be interesting to see if anyone else has any ideas. For example, if the Silhouettes are partially elemental beings connected to the Plane of Shadow, wouldn't that give them the tendency to become warlocks of shadow? If that were the case, does this mean we have yet to see a minor or major elemental made of shadow? Or would the Black Entity spoken of in Rifts Index 1 be one such being? It was also weakened in daylight and absorbed P.P.E., so who knows?
Bob Herzog from KoDT put it best: HOODY HOO! http://www.facebook.com/manyfacesofdave
shiiv-a
Adventurer
Comment: I see people as people first, anything else is secondary

Unread post by shiiv-a »

hmm .. shadow magic .. roaming the shadows and apart? .. even mention of Lord Grey?

methinks i hath removed Ebony the 'Dark' .. just in time. would find explaining HER difficult.

but then .. she IS difficult for me to understand, and I made her
Creator of the Chi grenade. Used in game by Kevarin [GM] and self as Mai - Civilian Martial artist that got amped via experiment. Ghost weapons and shirts rule.

Nano Missiles - used once and GM banned further use. They weren't THAT bad. and did stop a demon scout ship from returning with valuable info.
shiiv-a
Adventurer

Unread post by shiiv-a »

shadow warlocks are NB ...

shadow magic is one of the 'lost' types found in the library of ble-something ...

no insults meant to either system
Creator of the Chi grenade. Used in game by Kevarin [GM] and self as Mai - Civilian Martial artist that got amped via experiment. Ghost weapons and shirts rule.

Nano Missiles - used once and GM banned further use. They weren't THAT bad. and did stop a demon scout ship from returning with valuable info.
shiiv-a
Adventurer

Unread post by shiiv-a »

lol
just staing the obvious.
just don't have those 2 rifters so i can't read the articles.
besides i'm sure DtMK might recall my char

drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

DtMK wrote:Ever since the mention of these quasi-elemental beings was first printed, people have wondered about their connection to Shadow Beasts or the Plane of Shadows, talked about in Rifters 20 and 28. I'm thinking of exploring their possible connections in an upcoming game, but has anyone else here explored the Silhouettes and their potential origins in games? Given their natural tendencies for magic, were the Shademen that devoured a race of magic users? Are they just another race that evolved but lost their origins? With their shadow nature, would they look at light and energy beings like the Bhlaze as natural enemies?

I know I can work something out for my own games, but I was wondering if anyone else has delved into the Silhouettes and their connection to the Shadow dimension in their games? I'd love to hear more, and I'm sure I'm not the only one.

I would have the Silhouettes changed from the time their ancestors left the plane of shadows, to be more physical then shadows, then shadow beasts/-men. With the "Hammer of the Forge" shademan char being more closely like the shadow beasts, then to Silhouettes.

While Silhouettes might have a knee jerk seeing bhlaze as natural enemies when first seen, but after that ....
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
DtMK
Hero

Unread post by DtMK »

It also might beg to wonder if a Shadow Lord might have some kind of influence over Silhouettes, much like Hypnotic Suggestion or some other mind control power. Perhaps that's what caused their long forgotten exodus from the Plane of Shadows in the first place. Perhaps now they have no such limitation after centuries of freedom in this plane.
DhAkael
Knight

Unread post by DhAkael »

One thing that people have suggested is the Shadowmagic in one of the rifters (can't for life of me remeber issue #), and also the shadow-based talents used by Nightspawn -ahem I mean Nightbane, to flesh-out the Silhouette race.

One sorta unwritten but implied power I've always used for Silhouettes in my games (either as NPC's or when playing) is that they fully enter into the shadows and can even travel through them. Thus, if a shadow continues under a door or through a crack in a wall say, the Silhouette can walk through said shadow to the other side, even if the crack is only a few milimetres wide.

But heaven help the poor sott if someone hits them with a flashlight while doing so ;) :eek:

Leaves of the lotus rise

DhAkael
Knight

Unread post by DhAkael »

One sorta unwritten but implied power I've always used for Silhouettes in my games (either as NPC's or when playing) is that they fully enter into the shadows and can even travel through them. Thus, if a shadow continues under a door or through a crack in a wall say, the Silhouette can walk through said shadow to the other side, even if the crack is only a few milimetres wide.
But heaven help the poor sott if someone hits them with a flashlight while doing so ;) :eek:

Should i assume this ability applies to Solace?

How do you think he kept from being nabbed by the CSI's ;) ?

Leaves of the lotus rise

Return to “Rifts®: Dimension Books”